200+ days survival on interloper

Renegade30

I actually kept my steam in offline mode just in case I would lose my game when wintermute hit. I rushed to get the last 12 days of survival in earlier in the week and have stayed off the forums due to spoilers, but I wanted to share this as it is my best run in the game after 320+ hours of playing.

screen_f520b7b6-bc59-4fd4-907a-6ca2d363aee6.thumb.png.46bd17ab984e585d3c46b4a9fa7f41b5.png

Here is briefly what I think is the best way to survive in interloper

1. First priority is to find a base that is near cat tails or other lootable locations

2. Second priority is to get guts to make fishing line

3. If you managed to survive long enough for the guts to cure and to make fishing tackles you should be able to survive at least 2 weeks

4. Never harvest a carcass without a fire, ever.

5. Find a base that is near a cave, you can use the cave to sleep in (if you found a bedroll which is an accomplishment in itself - I crafted a bear skin bedroll before I even found one) or pass time in the cave to avoid cabin fever. Alternatively you can make a snow shelter and sleep in there from about midday to about 7pm as the temperature should be high enough to avoid freezing on most days.

6. Unless you are feeling lucky, do not eat predatory meat as intestinal parasites on interloper is brutal (see my other post)

7. You shouldn't eat unless you are about to sleep before day 30-50 as food is scarce without being equipped to travel\hunt

8. Getting cooking to level 5 is a long term priority, once you have done this (I got it at about day 80) you won't have any problems surviving for a long time

9. My advice is to avoid FM...

Best bases in my opinion are:

-Camp office for early game

-Jackrabbit island for any point of the game

-DP for late game (day 50-80+)

Full disclosure - I did save scum a few times in this run, but after what I learned I will not do this on my next run...

I must say the last line broke it a little for me....save scum? Does this mean you died and loaded an stashed away save? How many times did you die? If so, i´m not impressed ^^

Otherwise it´s just great to live so long on Interloper! I totally agree on the first priorities: Cat tails and a fishing line. Next find that saw and that hammer and keep that clothes in good condition. I found that you can harvest some chunks of meat without a fire, on a "warmer" day some hours after noon. And I´m using my health bar as a resource too. It´s okay to starve or freeze a little bit while wandering around in search for the tools. I won´t advise to avoid FM, simply because of cat tail abundance and the forge, which is your closest option if you stay in ML.    

No I didn't die at all in my run (though nearly did - got to <10% about 3-4 times). What I mean is, if I had to make a travel due to running out of supplies and being locked in due to blizzards or whatever and I started my travel and got a wolf on my tail that I wouldn't be able to shake due to being encumbered or something I quit and loaded the game. I only did this several times, I know lots of other players do this but perhaps I am the first to admit. Any wolf struggles or infections, basically any save that the game made, I lived with, including a parasite infection that made things very hard (see my parasites on interloper are brutal post).

I advise against the forge in FM because usually at that stage of the game in interloper you have to fight extremely hard to keep alive. I went to FM this in this run and nearly died due to a wolf attack, constant wolf harassment, falling in the ice, low temperatures which all resulted in me arriving to the homestead with about 12% (from 100% when I left camp office) so I had to keep the fire going constantly for 2+ days to regain condition while harvesting wood when I could. I only managed to craft 4 arrowheads and 1 hatchet which actually kept me going until day 80ish (without a knife). So another point there, hatchet is more important than a knife for fighting and crafting...

ah light resetting my old friend for  when my arrows fallout of the flipping map I really don't look at that as "save scumming" imo thats opening files when you die to load a back up or get more loot light resetting is just a way to get out of a bad situation with a bit of cheese

also 388892 calories for day 200 HOLY MOLEY and considering you can't burn calories you didn't eat that's a lot of food

1 hour ago, Darkwater said:

ah light resetting my old friend for  when my arrows fallout of the flipping map I really don't look at that as "save scumming" imo thats opening files when you die to load a back up or get more loot light resetting is just a way to get out of a bad situation with a bit of cheese

also 388892 calories for day 200 HOLY MOLEY and considering you can't burn calories you didn't eat that's a lot of food

Yeah at day 100 I had 158231. The last 100 days were pretty easy, I hardly got to starving at all due to being able to eat wolves, bears etc. Really the challenge for me disappeared at about day 120, after that it was just going through the motions...

20 hours ago, Renegade30 said:

[...] I quit and loaded the game. I only did this several times, I know lots of other players do this but perhaps I am the first to admit. Any wolf struggles or infections, basically any save that the game made, I lived with, [...]

Ah, that´s not cheating at all, we all do that ;P Congratiulations then! I´m actually on day 21 and my bow is nearly ready. It seems, though, that that days showed in the journal are always a little bit ahead of the time shown when you wake up....weird.

As for FM again: once you find the safe paths, thin ice is not a problem anymore. I agree that it´s dangerous in early game, though.

question: is the broken railroad region accessible in sandbox ?

55 minutes ago, June said:

Ah, that´s not cheating at all, we all do that ;P Congratiulations then! I´m actually on day 21 and my bow is nearly ready. It seems, though, that that days showed in the journal are always a little bit ahead of the time shown when you wake up....weird.

As for FM again: once you find the safe paths, thin ice is not a problem anymore. I agree that it´s dangerous in early game, though.

question: is the broken railroad region accessible in sandbox ?

Thats good progress on the bow

The difference in the numbers is due to you starting a bit ahead due to the time of day u start at i think.

Once u have the bow and are in a good location it makes things easier. It sounds like you have the potential now to last a while, congrats

Impressive feat, and some excellent advice.  I actually disagree with most of it, but not because I think it is wrong.  Early game emphasis should be on exploring and clothing.

I highly recommend getting in the habit of carrying and using decoys.  If you are worried about wasting food, you can cancel eating to get sub .1 kg decoys.

Interloper is easier with the retail release. I'm not sure if it is the changes they made with itemization or the longer time before hypothermia or both but the only way I die now again is the fucking wolves. Every fucking time it's the wolves. 

Time to hypothermia appears to be the same (2 hours of negative temp after your thermometer goes red).

Wolves have been killing machines since the last test branch.  My suspicion is that this was a misguided attempt to counter the common behavior of fighting wolves naked and to make the protection stat relevant.  If so it failed miserably.  The best ways to deal with wolves are the same they have always been, avoid them, use decoys and avoid them, use decoys and kill them, or sit somewhere they can't reach you and kill them.

Clothing was changed two test branches ago and made early game clothing more powerful, but mid to late game it turned into +5 kg of weight for -5 degrees of fun (wish I could remember who said that during that test branch, but it is spot on).

7 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

Ehh...that whole...quit and load thing... personally I can't stand by that.

I've never done it once. If you live with what the game deals you and still conquer it then you have no excuses.

Yeah I am not a fan of it, but I was doing it as a method of training myself in interloper without distractions and ended up just running with the game as I was doing well. My next run I will not do it, at least then you can trust me when I say I didn't do it :)

I went to all regions except twm, but even with the best gear in the game you start freezing after 5-20 minutes in game so exploration is difficult. I hit only the places i had to to get maximum return on loot. After i recovered from the 20 day parasite infection art about  day 60, i spent longer crafting a bear skin roll as i still had no bedroll.  I moved from the camp office to jackrabbit with a stop off at pv and dp to use the forge. Arrived at jackrabbit at about day 105 and stayed there for the rest of the time, using it as a base to explore ch. At that point most of the loot i found was ruined anyway and there wasnt much point in looting because i already had everything i needed.

4 hours ago, Renegade30 said:

After i recovered from the 20 day parasite infection...

Surviving that is a real challenge.  I can only hope you had the antibiotics or mushrooms on hand.

32 minutes ago, Darkwater said:

another mode Timberwolf mountain is THE place to go

interloper its a death sentence 

TWM is actually quite survivable on interloper, even making it to the summit is doable after the final temp drop (but it is much easier if you can do it in the first 20 days).  Unpleasant Valley is much harder because everything is so spread out.

1 hour ago, happybjorn said:

Surviving that is a real challenge.  I can only hope you had the antibiotics or mushrooms on hand.

Nope :( Had to loot all the mushrooms in mystery lake, some in FM, some in ravine and some in CH before trekking back to the camp office. The wolves were ultra hostile when I was sick which made FM too hard to get all the mushrooms I needed.

2 hours ago, Darkwater said:

another mode Timberwolf mountain is THE place to go

interloper its a death sentence 

1 hour ago, happybjorn said:

TWM is actually quite survivable on interloper

The current record for a TWM-Only Interloper run is 100 days, with a strong expectation of being able to go 160+ days.

"Never harvest a carcass without a fire", yeah, learned that one the hard way. I'm pretty bad at interloper, and I was so proud of making it a full day. There was a carcass outside the house I was in. Though it would be fine. I was so mad at myself when I came out of the harvesting at ten percent, knowing I couldn't recover.

On 8/11/2017 at 9:53 AM, SweetNightmare said:

I was so mad at myself when I came out of the harvesting at ten percent, knowing I couldn't recover.

If you see your condition plummeting during harvesting, hitting the 'Esc' key will quit the harvesting immediately.

Archived