Faithful Cartographer MAPPING

So with the new mapping system coming in, apparently it is done based on what the player sees: the player can, for example, put in wood next to a certain lake on the map, knowing that there is wood at that location.

On the other hand, I'm curious as to how customizable these maps can really be; based on the image, the geography seems to be done automatically based on where the player has been, but the only customization options come from placing certain objects/artifacts on where you believe them to be.

Thoughts?

Ps: While I'm at it, for those who did the previous test branch, how long does Hinterland keep it in beta, until full patch is released?

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 8.54.27 AM.png

1 minute ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

Ps: While I'm at it, for those who did the previous test branch, how long does Hinterland keep it in beta, until full patch is released?

It seems like the last test branch (for Resolute Outfitter) was open for maybe two weeks.  Then about a week later the update was released to everyone.  Something like that.

I don't think there is really a set schedule for this.  They will likely close the test branch when they feel they have enough feedback.

Having the ability to place icons on the map seems pretty awesome.  Thanks for the info!

I personally am really looking forward to the mapping based off how it's being presented atm.  I never liked the idea of maps in TLD, but Hinterland seems to have found an organic way to introduce it into the game.  I'm very much looking forward to it.

3 hours ago, Fuarian said:

I find it weird how it's in colour considering we're using charcoal. Unless we have pens. 

The test branch usually lasts a week to two weeks.

I don't want to pass judgement before seeing it in action, but the color (and the professional font) worry me too.   I'd expect a black and white, charcoal and paper, not very detailed map.  With smudges from fingers dirty from charcoal (and whatever else, given I don't remember the last time I washed).

If really ends up looking like a full color artist-drawn map, with detailed topology, then it's a missed opportunity for immersion IMO.

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

I don't want to pass judgement before seeing it in action, but the color (and the professional font) worry me too.   I'd expect a black and white, charcoal and paper, not very detailed map.  With smudges from fingers dirty from charcoal (and whatever else, given I don't remember the last time I washed).

If really ends up looking like a full color artist-drawn map, with detailed topology, then it's a missed opportunity for immersion IMO.

I mean, I can take it. But remember it is an optional thing.

33 minutes ago, Fuarian said:

I mean, I can take it. But remember it is an optional thing.

True

Also keep in mind that the geography of the map is already done automatically; the player most likely only has to draw the location of certain objects on the map itself. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7.5.2017 at 2:59 PM, EricTheGreat12 said:

the player can, for example, put in wood next to a certain lake on the map, knowing that there is wood at that location.

Source of that particular info, please? Where did you read that objects that have been dropped will be mapped?

7 minutes ago, June said:

Source of that particular info, please? Where did you read that objects that have been dropped will be mapped?

'You’ll have to use charcoal from campfires to update your own map of the world, which you survey bit by bit, and this map’s value will depend on how well you keep it updated' (Paragraph in the dev diary right on top of the image showing the map)

That's what I was saying. But now with the new image, it might be that they re-did the mapping into black&white, or are simply just letting players draw their own map. The player needs to do more than just walk around in order to draw the map, so logically the system would allow players to draw certain items on various locations of the map.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, dmosbon said:

As I'm not currently playing TLD(not until 8th August) how has the map feature worked out?

It's really good. I have a fairly decently filled map of mystery lake and a somewhat complete one of the Coastal Highway area by day 56. Charcoal is fairly plentiful after using some of the cedar or fir pieces, sometimes yielding 10 or so pieces per fire. One has to equip the pieces to sketch out the map, and it does not pinpoint quite exactly where you are. Some suggestions people have are to have more of the map filled in from higher elevations, but other than that it works pretty well. 

It works pretty well, but honestly it is not much of a help for orientation as most people probably wanted it to be. It is more useful as a tool, you can sketch it in locations where things of interest are, so you can keep them there and come again later. I am currently trying to fill out as much as I can out of the maps in a Pilgrim run, just to get them filled out with the loot locations to use for later reference. So far I have done Mystery Lake and I plan to do the Forlorn Muskeq next.

Also another nifty use for it is in locating of carcasses - if you shoot a wolf and it runs off and dies somewhere, you might get lucky in spotting it from high altitude by marking down the map - but considering that most carcasses now have crows flying around them it is usually not that necessary.

6 hours ago, Piers Arkan said:

It's really good. I have a fairly decently filled map of mystery lake and a somewhat complete one of the Coastal Highway area by day 56. Charcoal is fairly plentiful after using some of the cedar or fir pieces, sometimes yielding 10 or so pieces per fire. One has to equip the pieces to sketch out the map, and it does not pinpoint quite exactly where you are. Some suggestions people have are to have more of the map filled in from higher elevations, but other than that it works pretty well. 

4 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

It works pretty well, but honestly it is not much of a help for orientation as most people probably wanted it to be. It is more useful as a tool, you can sketch it in locations where things of interest are, so you can keep them there and come again later. I am currently trying to fill out as much as I can out of the maps in a Pilgrim run, just to get them filled out with the loot locations to use for later reference. So far I have done Mystery Lake and I plan to do the Forlorn Muskeq next.

Also another nifty use for it is in locating of carcasses - if you shoot a wolf and it runs off and dies somewhere, you might get lucky in spotting it from high altitude by marking down the map - but considering that most carcasses now have crows flying around them it is usually not that necessary.

Thanks both.

Does mapping record where specific items have been found? Can you manually enter information to the map yourself?

10 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I am currently trying to fill out as much as I can out of the maps in a Pilgrim run, just to get them filled out with the loot locations to use for later reference.

I hope you realise that many loot locations are at least partly random? Finding a Maple sapling on one run, won't guarantee it will be there in the next.

5 hours ago, dmosbon said:

Does mapping record where specific items have been found?

Harvestable items such as OMB, saplings, tree limbs, rosehips, etc, yes. Man-made items, no.

5 hours ago, dmosbon said:

Can you manually enter information to the map yourself?

No.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

I hope you realise that many loot locations are at least partly random? Finding a Maple sapling on one run, won't guarantee it will be there in the next.

Yes, I am aware of that, been playing long before plants were added into the game. But how else will be get a better idea of the spawn points (compared to the Charcoal map) then by mapping them down in runs? That is why I am doing it. I know that certain TLD maps made by community already exist that have locations of most of the spawnpoints for items on them, but those maps don't very well cross over with the charcoal map. Plus I want to have that charcoal map for my future vids if I ever get into recording again, I plan to make use of them in edits.

Archived