Hay !!

alone sniper

Not living in a region where deer are prevalent, I can't say much from personal experience, but I don't think winter feeding of deer is actually a good thing to do (something to do with messing up their natural feeding habits during winter). I do know, however, that moose cannot digest hay, and so it is lethal to them.

Hay left outside in the wet will go mouldy. You wouldnt store it like that, and ya wouldn't feed it to animals.

my interpretation is that winter came earlier then normal, catching the farmer just after they had harvested the hay of they left after harvest And it sat unused until winter.

Another point is that hay is used as an animal feed - it would either be left as is and then aniMals brought into the paddock (unlikely because it's largely unfenced) or it would then be collected in a hay shed (the ramshackle shacks around the farm) and then sold/transported to a paddock with animals 

In game I believe it is largely used to create a large open area that is mostly devoid of features which is easy to get disorientated in during a blizzard.

i know before I figured out my foolproof method of moving in any weather I walked around the barn for almost hour trying to find it in a blizzard. I'm just couldn't figure which direction too me 'in' so I just kinda ended up circling it. I must have accidentally crossed the driveway twice before I glimpsed the barn thought the weather. Turned out I was on the opposite side to where I thought I was.

From what I heard on another thread, someone suggested that it would be warmer to sleep in one of those hay bales in the Barn than in the truck parked inside. :bedroll: 

Also, the little pyromaniac inside of me wonders how effective hay would be as tinder... :accelerant::matches: ^_^

3 hours ago, Mikhail_Reign said:

Yeah once they start breaking down inside, a hay stack can put out some real heat. They spontaneously combust from it all the time.

I work at a plant nursery, and these great big piles of woodchips we have are breaking down on the inside to the point it will burn your hand just digging into it two feet inwards. If there were more oxygen fed into it and it wasnt so tightly packed itd definitely catch fire.

Ive had it melt the bags I sometimes have to pack it into, and a great deal of steam can emit from it when you scoop it out with a tractor

We dont cover it up and let it dry for this reason.

Yeah - twists of hay are actually a historical fuel source. It takes a long time to make (just throwing it in a fire burns to quickly to make any real heat) but by binding it into a really tight bundle they because 'a poor mans coal'.

Another point about the hay - similar to the idea of stuffing it into your clothes - is that hay stacks make reasonable shelters in a storm. You tunnel into it abit on the layward side and boom - instant shelter. I've read accounts of people staying alive in them in subzero temps (down to negative 40 C for a few hours) for up to three days.

7 hours ago, Dom said:

hi there! 

nice to see there are some guys around with the same obsession:D

Yes. We definitely all have that in common here. Sometimes our passion can get the best of us in some topics rarely, but we all get along pretty well outside of that.:silly:

Each member has a unique experience/knowledge pool they draw upon during discussions so expect to learn something new every time you visit! 

And we also have some very unique personalities... haha. 

Anyways, Welcome!:hatchet:

I once read that deer really like bananas. I don't know how much of this is true - the area I live in is pretty devoid of any wildlife larger than a crow or rat and the hunters I know don't use bait - but hey, maybe we could give those peaches some more love and use them as bait? Anyway, deer bait is a very good idea, and hay might just work (again, I have no idea how deer work - I just know that they exist and that they taste pretty good and that most of them don't have wheels). 

5 hours ago, Wastelander said:

I once read that deer really like bananas. I don't know how much of this is true - the area I live in is pretty devoid of any wildlife larger than a crow or rat and the hunters I know don't use bait - but hey, maybe we could give those peaches some more love and use them as bait? Anyway, deer bait is a very good idea, and hay might just work (again, I have no idea how deer work - I just know that they exist and that they taste pretty good and that most of them don't have wheels). 

If there's any apples left from the orchard in Pleasant Valley they would make excellent deer bait.

On 16.10.2016 at 7:43 AM, MarrowStone said:

I work at a plant nursery, and these great big piles of woodchips we have are breaking down on the inside to the point it will burn your hand just digging into it two feet inwards. If there were more oxygen fed into it and it wasnt so tightly packed itd definitely catch fire.

Ive had it melt the bags I sometimes have to pack it into, and a great deal of steam can emit from it when you scoop it out with a tractor

We dont cover it up and let it dry for this reason.

i've build a compost heat for my birds so that they can stay outside in wintertime.

Here is an example of a bigger one that is heating all the water for an entire hotel (after 100 days still 48C hot water) and that's just a big pile of compost :)

That's also the reason why i build up a big pile of fallen leaves in autumn in my garden and leave it there till spring so hedgehogs and other animals have a spot for the winter.

Archived