rabbit hunting (Video)

dbldrew

So I tried an experiment to see about hunting rabbits instead of trapping them (yes i know in a real survival situation trapping is better then hunting.. but its boring and this is a game for fun) 

So what i did was start a game on pilgrim and crafted a bunch of arrowheads at DP.. collected every maple, birch and arrow on DP, PV, and TM I used timberwolf mountain as my hunting grounds.. well i didnt want to do any squatting so i just practiced shooting standing up, over and over and broke a lot of arrows and a few bows before I started to get the hang of it. Once i started to get the hang of it I decided to see if I could live on just rabbits alone.. and so far its working out pretty good.. can get 2-3 rabbits in a few hours time.. but even with getting better at hunting im still going through arrows and bows way to fast for it to a realistic option. But I have to say it is so much fun doing it.. the games hunting is pretty boring and easy.. but hunting rabbits is a ton of fun and its challenging as well. 

I'm really thinking there should be a more logical small game hunting added into the game.. like a sling or slingshot, or another "small game" arrow. Maybe make it so its just a reg branch and scrap metal.. it wont work on large game but only work on small game.. using up good arrows for such a small reward is not logical to really do. 

Add in other small game like squirrels, raccoons, snow grouse etc..

here is a few videos of me hunting some rabbits..

A point to note about "real world" survival"

You don't hunt small game, that is, rabbit, squirrels, animals like that. Hunting them is a waste of time, energy and ammunition. 

You hunt large game, you trap small game.

Not that I am saying that if you see a rabbit, and you have a bow and arrow ready and feel you could make the shot, that you shouldn't take it, but, generally deliberately hunting for small game, like you did in this post, is a pretty bad idea and actually pretty detrimental to survival.

10 minutes ago, Boston123 said:

A point to note about "real world" survival"

You don't hunt small game, that is, rabbit, squirrels, animals like that. Hunting them is a waste of time, energy and ammunition. 

You hunt large game, you trap small game.

Not that I am saying that if you see a rabbit, and you have a bow and arrow ready and feel you could make the shot, that you shouldn't take it, but, generally deliberately hunting for small game, like you did in this post, is a pretty bad idea and actually pretty detrimental to survival.

thats why i said at the beginning of my post that I understand trapping is a much better option in a real survival situation.. but who cares.. real survival situations are not fun, this is a game.. it is supposed to be fun. Trapping in TLD is boring.. hunting rabbits is loads of fun.. games =fun 

36 minutes ago, Boston123 said:

I believe we have gotten into this argument before, and I an going to bow out.

I'll just leave it off with this: if you are breaking so many arrows and so many bows hunting rabbits, then maybe, just maybethat isn't what the bow is "for"?

i agree and that is why im asking for another alternative for hunting small game, a sling or sling shot, or small game arrow etc.. 

the current bow/arrow is not a wise use of resources trying to hunt rabbits, i want another option available thats all..

Here is the thing. the game is easy.. i want an actual challenge, hunting deer is super easy, killing wolves super easy. trapping rabbits takes 0 skill, fishing 0 skill. I want a challenge that is fun.. hunting rabbits (and potentially other small game) is a lot of fun and is challenging 

22 minutes ago, dbldrew said:

hunting deer is super easy, killing wolves super easy. 

Speak for yourself, I'm still finding out how the damned ballistics on the bow works. In voyageur I can barely hit the deer from the edge of its detection radius. And amount of times I've been mauled by a charging wolf because the arrow has just skimmed over its scruff is ridiculous.

As for rabbit snaring, I put 4 snares out in a rabbit populated area, and in a 24 hour period, I caught one. The only rabbit I have ever caught with snares since snares were introduced.

5 minutes ago, EternityTide said:

Speak for yourself, I'm still finding out how the damned ballistics on the bow works. In voyageur I can barely hit the deer from the edge of its detection radius. And amount of times I've been mauled by a charging wolf because the arrow has just skimmed over its scruff is ridiculous.

As for rabbit snaring, I put 4 snares out in a rabbit populated area, and in a 24 hour period, I caught one. The only rabbit I have ever caught with snares since snares were introduced.

crouch walk up to it and stand draw and fire.. pretty easy 

go to pleasant valley and practice on the target by the barn to see how much your sight will move and be off. you have to draw and fire pretty quick. by crouch walking you can get very close and you have a sec or so before it runs off once you stand up

wolves are easy. keep a few pieces of meet on hand and when you hear a wolf drop the bait.. the wolf will walk up to the bait and start eating.. line up your shot and easy kill..

2 hours ago, Boston123 said:

The "whole point" of snaring small game is that is is easy. It is called "passive hunting" for a reason.

By all means, go waste arrows hunting rabbits, but something tells me you don't understand the "point" behind certain mechanics.

i understand the whole point of snaring. and im not trying to take away your ability to snare so why would you care? 

Do you understand that this is just a video game? and video games are a form of entertainment? and setting snares (for me) has 0 entertainment value.

again not sure why your having a hard time understanding this but i DONT want to waste arrows hunting rabbits I want another option.. so im asking for another option in the wish list.. 

If you dont want to hunt small game no one is trying to force you to do so.. just keep on trapping them..

8 hours ago, dbldrew said:

wolves are easy. keep a few pieces of meet on hand and when you hear a wolf drop the bait.. the wolf will walk up to the bait and start eating.. line up your shot and easy kill..

This is likely to be fixed in the next update (spoiler):

Spoiler

Roadmap Version: 1.2 (Updated August 16, 2016)

Next Sandbox Update Planned For: End of August/Early September

Next Update (ASPIRATIONAL ***IT IS POSSIBLE NOT ALL OF THIS WILL MAKE IT INTO THE NEXT UPDATE ***)

• New Experience Mode
  • The Hunted, Part 2
  • Coastline & “Beachcombing” Gameplay
  • Archery Skill
  • First-Person Presence: Light Sources
  • Decoy Exploit Fix
  • Steam Trading Cards
  • UI improvements
  • Specific world art improvements
  • Modifications to persistent Feats

Great shooting, by the way!

Nice Shot. I have shot a few rabbits with the bow myself, more to see if it could be done. Generally I lure a wolf to an area of rabbits and they go after the easier prey (rabbits) rather than me. So when they kill the rabbit for me, I shoot at the larger target, the wolf. The it is two dinners in one arrow!

Same can be done with deer if you herd one toward a pack of wolves, sometimes they will kill the deer for you. :-)

@Boston123 I think you're getting drawn into that argument that you said you wanted to avoid. :winky:

Hunting rabbits with a bow may be a waste of resources and be unrealistic in a survival situation but so would climbing Timberwolf Mountain. Although I'm rather ambivalent about small game hunting (unless a shotgun or .22LR are added) if people want to try it all the power to them.

Archived