Recommended Posts

That sounds neat! ☺

I would never think something like that existed. Perhaps we should also have some of Batman's patented "Shark Repellent Bat Spray" ;)

batspray.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting idea, and considering the sheer amount of bears, the lack of bear spray is, indeed, intriguing. If people left guns behind, bear spray should be a given. However, does it function well in cold conditions? @cekivi you know about stuff like this, come to our help grand master :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer an air horn because you don't need to be super close or upwind from the bear for it to work.  

If somehow you missed the incredible amount of noise bears make in TLD and let it "sneak up" on you, bear spray is much more effective to stop a charge.  On the other hand, situational awareness is infinitely reusable.  :winky: 

Edited by Ruruwawa
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forums @UsuarioBeta! ^_^

@Wastelander Bear spray would probably work? I don't really know since bears are usually hibernating when winter is in full swing. All bear spray is though is a very concentrated, powerful pepper spray. No reason why it shouldn't work...

However, there are three problems with bear spray. First is it has a very short fire length (<20 feet). Second, for bear spray to work it is recommended to shoot it directly in the nose/mouth/eyes of the bear to maximize irritation of the mucus membranes so it needs to be close before you start shooting. Third, it's just pepper spray. If the bear's angry enough it will probably keep attacking...

Remember though @alone sniper that we already have an item in the game that has exactly the same effect mechanically: the flare gun :winky:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, alone sniper said:

You mean bear spray? 

Yes!

There are no bears where I live, and I never thought they were enough of a risk in real life so as to warrant a dedicated repelant spray. I actually find this very amusing.

But I don't actually think a bear spray should be in the game. I agree with Ruruwawa.

IMO, every specific and dedicated 'solution item' for a challenge in the game (like flares for wolves) takes away a little of the grittiness of the game. And I don't think this is a game you should feel safe.

I would be happier if existed more improvised and undocumented solutions to the challenges of the game, so as to make you learn by playng, not by reading item's descriptions.

(For example, I don't get why Reishi Tea, that can be used to cure parasite infection can't be used beforehand to mitigate the risk as you eat carnivore's meat)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

it is a bit rare ! 

1 Gun on entire sandbox. 

Two actually, every sandbox.  One is much more convenient than the one on TWM summit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, UsuarioBeta said:

Yes!

There are no bears where I live, and I never thought they were enough of a risk in real life so as to warrant a dedicated repelant spray. I actually find this very amusing.

But I don't actually think a bear spray should be in the game. I agree with Ruruwawa.

Yep, definitely a must in my neck of the woods.   I don't go to work without bear spray :) (except in winter, or when I am in the office for a day ;) )

Air horns are not always effective-- I've watched bears not even flinch to an air horn.  Even bear bangers (basically firecrackers designed for scaring bears off) are not always effective, even though they are much louder than an air horn.    I've never had to spray a bear with bear spray, but it is generally considered much more effective.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea of bear spray is interesting, or even the air horn. As we know, only the Distress Pistol will ward off a charging bear. But would we want an item that only had a "chance" of working" (like bear spray)? Would we be comfortable with that kind of risk? To compare--when waving a flare or a torch at a wolf, the stakes are currently much lower. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2016 at 0:45 PM, toebar said:

Air horns are not always effective-- I've watched bears not even flinch to an air horn.  Even bear bangers (basically firecrackers designed for scaring bears off) are not always effective, even though they are much louder than an air horn.    I've never had to spray a bear with bear spray, but it is generally considered much more effective.

I've spent a lot of time in western Montana - been far closer to far too many bears than I would ever wish - yet, I too, have never had the need to use bear spray.  I'm quite suspicious about it though.  I can take pepper spray to the face and barely miss a beat (it's kind of a party trick so to speak); and I have experimented with bear spray, too (which seemed more intense, but don't remember the numbers).  I suspect it's only a mild annoyance to them, but the shock of it actually does the trick (if it does).  But, I agree, air horns are very dicey, too.

But, to OP's point, what were you gonna do with a gun or bow?  I've one-shot killed a couple of bears by landing one on the nose, but most of the time, you're just rolling the dice.  Better to avoid, or flare in an emergency.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Thurman Merman said:

I've spent a lot of time in western Montana - been far closer to far too many bears than I would ever wish - yet, I too, have never had the need to use bear spray.  I'm quite suspicious about it though.  I can take pepper spray to the face and barely miss a beat (it's kind of a party trick so to speak); and I have experimented with bear spray, too (which seemed more intense, but don't remember the numbers).  I suspect it's only a mild annoyance to them, but the shock of it actually does the trick (if it does).  But, I agree, air horns are very dicey, too.

But, to OP's point, what were you gonna do with a gun or bow?  I've one-shot killed a couple of bears by landing one on the nose, but most of the time, you're just rolling the dice.  Better to avoid, or flare in an emergency.  

You are invited to all my future parties. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ElvisHunter said:

You are invited to all my future parties. 

Be careful, there.  It will clear the room if done inside. :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2016 at 1:30 PM, Ruruwawa said:

don't need to be super close or upwind from the bear for it to work

I think the wind would be the main problem... But it would make for an interesting gameplay mechanic! 

Sam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

I think the wind would be the main problem... But it would make for an interesting gameplay mechanic! 

Sam

It really is distance limited so wind is a factor. One of my colleagues who hikes in bear country once tested a can of bear spray and was surprised by how fast the stream dissipates. You really do have to let the bear get close enough so you can see "the whites of its eyes" as it were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The stuff I carried with me when working for the Census was a foam spray. It fired a line about 20 feet, very easy to aim if you kept the trigger pulled.

 

Edited by danicusrex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, danicusrex said:

The stuff I carried with me when working for the Census was a foam spray. It fired a line about 20 feet, very easy to aim if you kept the trigger pulled.

 

And after 20 feet? I don't know about you but I'd prefer to not let a bear get within 20 feet of me! :shock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over 20 feet the accuracy got.. dicey. Not dissipating like a true spray does, but any breath of wind started to make the line for the foam ... wobbly. You could probably arc the shot pretty far, but you'd use a LOT of spray trying to get the aim right.

I mean, I carried it because I was knocking on doors all day and sometimes people are insane. SO I didn't really practice at "charging bear" kinds of range.

Still, id rather use a lot of the spray and NOT get mauled, if it comes to that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2016 at 10:52 AM, cekivi said:

And after 20 feet? I don't know about you but I'd prefer to not let a bear get within 20 feet of me! :shock:

I've taught a few bear awareness courses here for the local college.  As part of the course I like to get students to fire a can of bear spray to get an idea how far it goes, how long it lasts, how the safety works etc.   (Plus, we need to do something with our expired cans). Having seen a bunch of cans of different brands discharged, I can attest that there's definitely a difference in the pattern and distance.   At any rate, it's important to read your can of bear spray to determine how far it's MEANT to fire.  I've seen some that are 8 m (~26 feet), but the majority I have carried and seen have been 4-5 m (13-16 feet)--the labels tend to be fairly accurate.

The discharge pattern of most tends to be a wide 'fog'. Here's a decent (if oddly portrayed) display of the pattern and approximate distance of most.  This is meant to reduce the need for accuracy in a moment of stress, but comes at the cost of distance.  Bear spray is really meant for very close encounters.   The fog maximizes the chance of you hitting the bear, and it makes it easier to get the bear's eyes, nose and mouth all at once--which is quite uncomfortable for the bear.  (But yes, wind is an issue for sure!)

I like to throw in some humour to my course, so I often show this  video -- which really has no connection to bear spray or bears  :D ... but its pretty funny (and you guys might like it too :) ). (clearly the fellow in the video is no @Thurman Merman ! :)  ) 

I haven't been pepper sprayed, but I managed to mildly bear spray myself one time..  much to the amusement of my students! :$  I basically only got a spritz of a mostly discharged can in my eyes, but even that was painful enough to give me a healthy respect for the stuff.  

 

Edited by toebar
add link
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but beat attacks would have to be more lethal. Its already too easy to survive/avoid them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2016 at 1:08 PM, sir ice said:

Its already too easy to survive/avoid them.

Not when you play on a stalker with a + 50kg backpack without flare gun !!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2016 at 10:26 AM, alone sniper said:

Not when you play on a stalker with a + 50kg backpack without flare gun !!!!!!!!

Of course not. Its also hard to fight off a mouse when you have no arms and legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stalker is hard. There is no doubt in it. 
finding flare gun is Sooooo hard !!! 

So , when you walking (dragging your self at a snail's pace) with +50 kg backpack and suddenly bear appear.  You have no chance. (you can drop food but it is too late !) 

And if you shoot with your rifle .... you left with 10% condition ! :S

Edited by alone sniper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-09-02 at 2:31 AM, alone sniper said:

Stalker is hard. There is no doubt in it. 
finding flare gun is Sooooo hard !!! 

So , when you walking (dragging your self at a snail's pace) with +50 kg backpack and suddenly bear appear.  You have no chance. (you can drop food but it is too late !) 

And if you shoot with your rifle .... you left with 10% condition ! :S

Remember though that you can usually hear a bear long before you see the bear. If there's something with heavy footsteps and you're not moving it's best to watch out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now