new kind of trap !!!

alone sniper

I'd say the Gas Station would be a good option. Where I grew up there was a log cabin gas station, they sold those traps, as well as steel traps for wild dogs. They also sold food, ammo, basic car care items, medical supplies, farming gear, you name it.

Wild dogs are a serious issue where I live, the law gives you free rein to kill them by whatever means you like. A St. Bernard led a pack that killed more than 30 small livestock animals in six months. (sheep, goats, etc) Someone eventually took him out with an AR-15. But I digress.

2 minutes ago, miah999 said:

I'd say the Gas Station would be a good option. Where I grew up there was a log cabin gas station, they sold those traps, as well as steel traps for wild dogs. They also sold food, ammo, basic car care items, medical supplies, farming gear, you name it.

Gas station is the best place. 
and do we need a wolf trap???????  
since there are wolf all over the CH

Yes, as I said wild dogs are a real problem here, I helped set traps when I was young. That was when I lived in the country.

Now I live in town and animal control will only handle domestic cats and dogs, so if you have a coon or possium, the cage trap is your only option. You have to catch the thing and take it to the woods yourself.

3 minutes ago, miah999 said:

Yes, as I said wild dogs are a real problem here, I helped set traps when I was young. That was when I lived in the country.

Now I live in town and animal control will only handle domestic cats and dogs, so if you have a coon or possium, the cage trap is your only option. You have to catch the thing and take it to the woods yourself.

I think you live in north America. 

can't you just use poison bait against them? 

7 hours ago, alone sniper said:

yes !! 

and it could be repairable too! 

Most probably.

7 hours ago, miah999 said:

Those humane cage traps are pretty common where I live, you can even buy them at Walmart in the fall.

Why do you guys get all the freedom? I need a license to carry mace for Fluffy's sake.

As for the topic at hand: The traps you posted here seem more effiient/effective (maybe both) than the snares in-game. How about we have them in fixed locations and "just" have to repair them and stuff them with bait (I heard the cute wittle bunnies just LOVE themselves some peaches!)?

2 hours ago, miah999 said:

Because America, that's why. ^_^

Figures, given your signature :D

Back on topic, what about pitfalls with sharpened sticks in 'em to violently remove bears from existence? Would take some work (similar to the wolf coat or something, i.e. at least 12 hours) but guaranteed to incapacitate a bear/wolf when they walk over it. Would take either bait on top of it or carefully kiting the bear/wolf over it. I'm more for the latter because it places the trap's success completely in your hands and gets your heart rate up :D 

While technically possible given the devs ability to create the snow shelter, I doubt we'll see one.

Also I'm not sure about the constructing such a thing. I can't imagine digging a hole big enough for a bear in TLD's frozen ground.

On a side note, they do still make steel-traps big enough for bears. And while I doubt it would not be easy to find one, many forestry departments have giant versions of the cage trap for bears, catamounts, and the like. Their mounted on trailers towed by pick-up trucks.

Using this kind of trap on an animal in TLD-conditions is cruel. You would basically leave them to die from exposure. Imagine being stuck in a cage, slowly freezing to death.''

Granted, the snares we currently use in-game aren't much better. They don't exactly strangle the rabbit, just kind of hold it in place.

I have always supported the idea of a "twitch-up" snare, that would actually both kill the animal quickly and prevent predators from snagging it.

And...

They're not real animals, also I doubt you'd be all that concerned about the animal if you were starving.

Further, if you check your traps often enough, you could kill the animal more quickly yourself, thus putting it out of its misery.

Besides all of Great Bear Island is one giant cage where everything is slowly freezing to death.

It's just a game, try not to think about it too hard.

On 6-8-2016 at 0:52 PM, Boston123 said:

Using this kind of trap on an animal in TLD-conditions is cruel. You would basically leave them to die from exposure. Imagine being stuck in a cage, slowly freezing to death.''

Granted, the snares we currently use in-game aren't much better. They don't exactly strangle the rabbit, just kind of hold it in place.

I have always supported the idea of a "twitch-up" snare, that would actually both kill the animal quickly and prevent predators from snagging it.

While I don't advocate animal cruelty and would hate to see an animal suffer under normal circumstances, if my live is threatened by hordes of wolves and there is not a soul around to count on for help, that aspect would not concern me that much. In TLD conditions I would use anything I have at my disposal.

Having to lead the animal over the trap would mean you can then finish it off, so it doesn't suffer for that long, but I would find that a little artificial. In reality you would dig a pitfall at a natural choke point in a trail the animal you intend to kill uses more or less frequently.

But I don't think pitfalls would be very practical in TLD, I don't see myself (or my character) digging in solid frozen ground.

I do think it would be a good idea to have some sort of trap to help keep the predator population down in a region, like around your main base or hunting ground.

As @miah999 pointed out there are steel bear traps. The problem is they are really big and very hard to move. Maybe you could find one already setup but otherwise they're of limited utility.

One feature that traps should have is a chance of being robbed. If the wolves are hungry enough to go after humans than they wouldn't have any problem robbing snares and other traps of your game. Another good reason to check your trap lines frequently. :winky:

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

As @miah999 pointed out there are steel bear traps. The problem is they are really big and very hard to move. Maybe you could find one already setup but otherwise they're of limited utility.

One feature that traps should have is a chance of being robbed. If the wolves are hungry enough to go after humans than they wouldn't have any problem robbing snares and other traps of your game. Another good reason to check your trap lines frequently. :winky:

Which is one reason why I prefer twitch-up snares. They not only kill the animal quickly, but they also lift the animal up in the air, (hopefully) out of the reach of most predators.

They are also almost-infinitely more effective than ground-based snares. With the current in-game snare, the animal can still push off the ground in effort to remove the snare. Suspended in the air, they can't get purchase.

On 8/6/2016 at 7:59 AM, miah999 said:

They're not real animals, also I doubt you'd be all that concerned about the animal if you were starving. Besides all of Great Bear Island is one giant cage where everything is slowly freezing to death. It's just a game, try not to think about it too hard.

And yet the devs had enough consideration to add the reminder at the opening screen: "Hinterland does not condone the wanton destruction of wildlife." And in the last post from the site, from @Raphael van Lierop: "I have a daughter and she should be able to grow up in a world where she has strong female characters to play and look up to."

I very much appreciate that they understand that a game is not always just a game. Many people, including them young 'uns, will play it, and some of us are certainly going to be affected by it in one way or another. For some of us, it's just a relaxing/entertaining hobby -- but just like happens when we watch movies or read books, games too can shift our perspective, even if by a little bit, even without us noticing it.

I, uhm, didn't mean it to sound like a lecture or a sermon, nor to derail the thread. I just wanted to express that I like what Hinterland is doing, in more than one layer.

Also, I like the cage trap. :big_smile: (But I don't think it should be craftable; should be a random spawn for the benefit of those who still don't have cured guts to craft rabbit snares. It would also prevent wolves from stealing our game.)

Found this http://www.peta.org/features/steel-jaw-trap-fur-cruelty/

"Animals may struggle for hours or even days before the trapper returns to kill them—if they haven’t succumbed to exhaustion, exposure, blood loss, shock, or predation first. Some animals, especially mothers desperate to return to their young, will even attempt to chew or twist off their trapped limbs. When they can’t escape, their babies are left alone, unable to fend for themselves"

steel traps are overpowered they should be very rare to find and like @cekivi said. They should be very heavy.

or we can make it that wolfs can easily escape but that's unrealistic.

Archived