Propane

Tarflink

Anyway, I'm still not sure agout the "Event" and what it is suppose to effect.  But I assume its all electrical and electronics. 

So with that being said, lets talk about propane.  I see the tanks on at least half the cabins, and propane gas ovens should still work.  You just need a match to light the burners, not sure on the actual oven part.  So just add a few portable tanks and a mechanical skill, not to mention propane, so you can watch a buncha folks run around with almost no gear dragging tanks around to fill the bigger tanks, so now you're cooking with gas junior  ......... (literally, not just the saying).   The mechanical skill would be for making hook ups and such, for tank to tank access.

Then add in the possibiltity of dealing with a damaged tank, damaged gas line, damaged oven ....... hmm maybe I should rethink this thread =P

Using up propane in tanks for cooking and heating. Yes.

Transferring it between canisters. Definite no. This stuff is liquid and under pressure, not to mention require specific knowledge and tools to do it at all, not even talking about safety issues. So, unless i know exactly what im doing, i wouldnt touch that tank with a long pole.

20 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Using up propane in tanks for cooking and heating. Yes.

Transferring it between canisters. Definite no. This stuff is liquid and under pressure, not to mention require specific knowledge and tools to do it at all, not even talking about safety issues. So, unless i know exactly what im doing, i wouldnt touch that tank with a long pole.

100% agreement on my part here. It's probably safe to use as intented (i.e. what the tanks are hooked up to, most likely ovens and heaters), but messing with a propane tank is a no-go - I almost killed myself messing with one as a teen, and yes, I was a stupid teen.

Yep. The propane should still be there an usable. Those cylinders are meant to last all winter and the main controls for them (or at least the pilot light) are mechanical, not electronic. However, I don't know if this will be added since having a several month supply of cooking fuel and warmth would throw the game balance off just a bit :crosseye:

I understand about the possibility about unbalancing the game, however, not ever cabin has 1.  In costal highway, the cabins on the islands only have propane now.  Also would be a excelent way to use some of the over abundance of matches.  You can let or make a fire burn for 3 days, but do you really want to do the same with your limited, and can't refill propane tank?

Its just an idea, based on the tanks already in the game.

Has anyone else noticed that you can pop the hood on the cars in this game? Assuming that a geomagnetic anomaly has occurred, its unlikely that the cars would start. However, after doing a minimal amount of research, I read that given the right conditions, some electronics might still work. The main concern is whether the electronics were shielded properly before the event. So in my opinion, any electronics on the surface should be useless paperweights however, anything underground like flashlights, headlamps, car batteries, vibrators, pretty much whatever runs on batteries, should be operable. Anyway I agree that gas power should be usable as well.

A while back my Dad and I went out backpacking in Emigrant Wilderness and we bought a new stove to replace our old one. Made our lives so much easier.

https://www.rei.com/product/709002/msr-dragonfly-backpacking-stove

Isn't that the truth!

I was pretty sure the propane wouldn't work (due to the low temps) but after some more research and some thinking, it probably would do ok... i was assuming that the region formerly had warmer winters, and the distributor had propane set up for it. (this would include a higher butane content, therefore cheaper, but it quits vaporizing at a much higher temp) But since it clearly got cold enough to support the fishing shacks, I think my argument is kinda moot...

Sam

2 hours ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

Isn't that the truth!

I was pretty sure the propane wouldn't work (due to the low temps) but after some more research and some thinking, it probably would do ok... i was assuming that the region formerly had warmer winters, and the distributor had propane set up for it. (this would include a higher butane content, therefore cheaper, but it quits vaporizing at a much higher temp) But since it clearly got cold enough to support the fishing shacks, I think my argument is kinda moot...

Sam

Yeah. Propane is not super common in my home town but there are certainly people who use it for cooking and heating and the climate in winter is similar to that of the game's. Just like our gasoline is "winterized" by adding methanol to it :)

12 hours ago, cekivi said:

What would and would not work post event is one of those topics that no one seems to agree on :D

Yes, there is me, The Wise One, who say that everything would be fried, and rest of the scrubs who wannt flashlights. B|

The Propane itself will work in quite low temperatures, provided it hasnt been mixed with Butane. If it was being used before the event, the system was already using appropriate regulators and piping for cold weather use. However, most modern propane appliances, especially ovens no longer use pilot lights, they use electronic ignition or hot surface ignitors which need electricity. There is no way to bypass this, as the main safety valve wont open unless it receives the "go ahead" signal from the igniter. Top burners on stoves can still be lit with a match though. Stoves which use pilots are quite rare these days, and have to be special ordered, although there are many older ones still operational.  As far as heating goes, it would depend on the appliance. Almost all furnaces would require electricity to operate unless they were nearly antique. Some room heaters use electricity, and others do not.  On the subject of moving propane tanks, the ones depicted in the game weigh just under a half a ton when they are full, and nearly a hundred kilo's even when empty. As far as moving it from one tank to another, Dirmagnos is correct. Although it can be done without specialized equipment, it cannot be done without specialized knowledge, and due to the weight of the tanks, would be nearly impossible for one person to accomplish alone even if they knew how. Unbalancing the game? Most definitely. One of those tanks, if full, would be about two years or more of normal cooking, and about a month of heating, depending on weather and the size/insulation value of the home.  Two of them would probably heat one of those little trailers for an entire winter, if you only kept it warm enough so that you didnt freeze.   My State of Maine Propane and Natural Gas License number is available upon request. ;)

***Edit***  my apologies to @Dirmagnos I mistakenly gave credit for something he said to someone else, originally. Its fixed now.

Archived