Better Trees.

sir ice

The pine needles and whatnot look nice, but the trees should have more differences. Small pine trees, more bent over pine trees, and other variations. The bottom of a tree looks kinda weird too. Its white. Why is it white? 

Hmm I was thinking about younger trees being added. Not like the saplings we have, bigger.

The current tree models are great. But whenever someone mentions more diversity i cant help myself but agree XD

Quite a lot of work for the devs ahead of them if they do decide to though

8 hours ago, cekivi said:

Duplicate posts deleted.

1 hour ago, MarrowStone said:

Hmm I was thinking about younger trees being added. Not like the saplings we have, bigger.

The current tree models are great. But whenever someone mentions more diversity i cant help myself but agree XD

Quite a lot of work for the devs ahead of them if they do decide to though

I feel that the devs should take the time to make trees look better. It is something worth doing soon. Younger trees sound great, but trees seem to always point in the same direction in the game. Trees are slanted in real life, and should be in the game. Sorry about duplicating the post btw. I don't know how that happened.

51 minutes ago, sir ice said:

Ive never seen large white bases for trees... 

Where I live, when it snows (which these days, is rare) the tree trunks will often turn white with deposited snow from the wind. Then when the sky clears, the sunlight melts the snow further up the tree, but the base stays covered because of shade, colder air (cold air is denser and so sits close to the ground) or simply because the coating is thicker. As a result, you get trees with white bases. And this is in a country where  -15° is highly unusual .

5 minutes ago, EternityTide said:

Where I live, when it snows (which these days, is rare) the tree trunks will often turn white with deposited snow from the wind. Then when the sky clears, the sunlight melts the snow further up the tree, but the base stays covered because of shade, colder air (cold air is denser and so sits close to the ground) or simply because the coating is thicker. As a result, you get trees with white bases. And this is in a country where  -15° is highly unusual .

Thats odd. My aunt has a home in vail and ive never seen white trunk bases... Where do u live?

Just now, sir ice said:

Thats odd. My aunt has a home in vail and ive never seen white trunk bases... Where do u live?

Wales. Be aware that this is a phenomenon that occurs clearest when you have a strong prevailing wind, and weather conditions that produce snow that is sticky enough to adhere to bark of the trees. Snow produced between 4° and -5° is usually sticky enough, but anything colder than that tends to be too dry.

1 hour ago, EternityTide said:

Wales. Be aware that this is a phenomenon that occurs clearest when you have a strong prevailing wind, and weather conditions that produce snow that is sticky enough to adhere to bark of the trees. Snow produced between 4° and -5° is usually sticky enough, but anything colder than that tends to be too dry.

ah. Well anyway then it shouldn't be in the game.

I like the tree improvements that HTD have made to the game so far but sure I would also love to see a lot more variation. be it smaller trees, more different types off trees etc.. also I would of thought not every tree needs a frosty bottom as you would get none frosty areas.

I'm in the Midwest here. It gets fairly cold in the winter, yes. However, in early and late winter, when the temps are flirting with the freezing point, we do get the wet, heavy snow and we do get the snowy bases on the trees around here. 

Being on the eastern edge of the Great Plains, wind here is a given. Nearly always from the west, sometimes northwest. Nor-easters are pretty rare. Southerlies are always welcome as they bring thaws. Though not in January - that just gives us ice!

As I see it, Vancouver Island (on which locale the game is based) is humid, gets wet, windy snowy weather, so the snowy tree bottoms would be realistic in that setting. 

Varying the trees as you suggest increases game resources and may make it unplayable on older machines. That's the case of games like Skyrim, where there's a fair bit of variation in the trees. I think the devs do a great job keeping the game resources limited but playing within those limitations as much as they do.

I've already seen snow piling up near tree stems in Germany as well. Hoar frost looks simular btw but is way more common where I live. It's not limited to tree stems of course, you're actually more likely to see it on the northern side of walls, lampposts, cars, etc.

2 hours ago, EternityTide said:

It's not that rare. You just need the right conditions.

57 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

Snowy-Trees-2010-12-29.jpg

Lol thats in vail. Nvm. I didn't realize that the game trees are meant to show that. sry 4 the derp.

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, HauptmannVonKartoffelLand said:

the question is,why are the pines blue?

Artistic license and graphic style. Same reason why it's mostly pastel colours for interiors and clothing.

23 minutes ago, HauptmannVonKartoffelLand said:

Yeah compair Wales with northern Canadian wilderness while an aplcalypse (AKA Siberia ),where constant wind and -10 degrees are much more than frequent.Obviously it could be enhanced but not discarded...

I don't believe the Hinterland Team have any intention of discarding the idea, however I think an improvement would be if the frosting occured more heavily on the side of the trunks facing the prevailing wind.
Also, Wales is about 3° further north in latitude than Vancouver, were it not for the Gulf stream current pulling warm water over the Atlantic from the Caribbean, the UK would have a subarctic climate.

2 minutes ago, EternityTide said:

I don't believe the Hinterland Team have any intention of discarding the idea, however I think an improvement would be if the frosting occured more heavily on the side of the trunks facing the prevailing wind.
Also, Wales is about 3° further north in latitude than Vancouver, were it not for the Gulf stream current pulling warm water over the Atlantic from the Caribbean, the UK would have a subarctic climate.

Which is something I found no end of amusement in when I was living in Ottawa. Ottawa is the second coldest capitol in the world (depending on how you count it) yet nearly every European capitol is much further north ^_^

Archived