new food items!

Tbone555

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@strigon That fourth picture just makes me imagine a testosterone-ravaged teen hunched over a computer keyboard . . . 

Images of that sort usually do, especially when they seem to disregard the fact that quite a few forum members are female and perhaps not appreciative of this kind of sexualization. Combine that with the kind of enthusiasm I have seen in related posts makes the above stereotype kind of hard to shake . . .

I do hope that @Docterrok picked that picture because the food images immediately preceding apparently makes him lick his lips. 

Sometimes it's hard to see how others perceive you, especially on forums. I imagine people see me as somewhat dull and pedantic at times. Or maybe just an old fart ...

5 hours ago, Docterrok said:

Cured sausages?

Sausage expert aka German here. There are three major types of sausage production:

• Raw sausage. Some of those, like Salami, Chorizo and Ahle Wurst are cured, but there are also completely raw types like Mettwurst (a sausage made of ground pork) or Leberwurst (a spreadable sausage made from liver, fat and spices). Only the cured types last longer than a few days or even hours when non-refrigerated. However, Salami and such tend to dry out pretty quickly once you break the skin for the first time, especially in cold environments. This is why I store my Salami in a plastic bag.
  • Broiled sausage: Made from raw meats and then cooked in a broth. Frankfurters, Wieners and Lyoner are good examples of those. In the absence of air (e.g. sealed in a container) they can last a few months, especially when refrigerated, but once exposed to the athmosphere, they don't last long.
  • Cooked sausage (this translation may actually be wrong, the correct term is Kochwurst): Made from already cooked ingredients. Rotwurst, Corned Beef and Haggis fall under this category (seriously) - ironically, they're the quickest to spoil.

As for making sausage in the game, that won't work all too well but it could work and give an alternate use to guts. However, it'd take some sets of tools, and the resulting sausages won't be pretty and won't last very long. Still a good idea to utilize meat scraps (in fact, this is what roman sausages were for in the first place)

11 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

Sometimes it's hard to see how others perceive you, especially on forums. I imagine people see me as somewhat dull and pedantic at times. Or maybe just an old fart ...

I mostly imagine people see me as the forum personification of this:

Angry-No-Meme-01.jpg.228ed23a9cf99da8e41

Incidentally, I am still waiting for Honey and golden syrup to be added.

13 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

@strigon That fourth picture just makes me imagine a testosterone-ravaged teen hunched over a computer keyboard . . . 

Images of that sort usually do, especially when they seem to disregard the fact that quite a few forum members are female and perhaps not appreciative of this kind of sexualization. Combine that with the kind of enthusiasm I have seen in related posts makes the above stereotype kind of hard to shake . . .

I do hope that @Docterrok picked that picture because the food images immediately preceding apparently makes him lick his lips. 

Ummmmm, I just looked up, "sugar" on google images and this one was silly. :|

30 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

I found new image for sugar...

image.jpeg

Please stay on-topic and refrain from spamming threads repeatedly. It dilutes the feedback of other players and makes it difficult for mods and developers to accurately gauge community sentiment and commentary. Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Please stay on-topic and refrain from spamming threads repeatedly. It dilutes the feedback of other players and makes it difficult for mods and developers to accurately gauge community sentiment and commentary. Thank you. 

Ok, sorry! Was attempting humor! :D

A few more words on sausages: While most Summer Sausages (I just learned that term, yay) can and will last without refrigeration (which actually isn't an issue in the game), they also tend to be quite salty, so they should be similar in effect to salt crackers. They do have the added upside of tasting pretty good though, and their fat content is also pretty nice. In my earlier post I stated that they dry out pretty quickly once cut and exposed to the athmosphere - that's not really a problem when it comes to nutritional value though, they just begin to taste bad. Even when improperly stored, they last months. However, they also have a distinct smell that will undoubtedly attract animals.

Sausage-making would require at least a knife (although a meat grinder is infinitely better), cleaned guts (would probably use water in crafting) and salt, and it would produce a sausage that wouldn't last very long, but, as I said, it can use meat scraps (which is, again, what was done historically). However, to make a sausage last longer we'd need the much-requested smokehouse. Sausages can also contain blood and brains, but those ingredients will reduce the shelf-life even more. Blood sausages can be cooked though, which would increase their shelf-life to around two to three weeks given the temperatures in the game. They'd be pretty tasteless though unless spices are used, which will probably be hard to come by.

Also, we should explore the 'gross' foods more - I mentioned organs like hearts and brains earlier, but eyes are also an option - in fact, fish eyes are actually very healthy, albeit gross to the touch. I haven't eaten any personally though, so I can't quite comment on their taste. Then there's also frogs, which would probably be hibernating in the winter but are considered a delicacy in France. Mussels could also be an option. There are also some tree barks that are edible.

The problem about this entire topic is that the possibilities are vast (but not endless) and we have to balance our ideas against the knowledge of the character. There's probably a ton of food in the woods outside my place I don't know about, and I live in a semi-urban area.

Now, should some food items only be available after learning about them? I could imagine Dr. Greenwood having a little more knowledge than Will, but only marginally if at all - she's a doctor, not a survivalist or a nutritionist. In fact, both of them are neither of those. Should we be able to find books on what to eat in the Canadian wilderness?

2 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

haven't eaten any personally though

I ate a handful because of a dare, I don't care how healthy they are, they are absolutely vile in every way imaginable. It's like hell for tastebuds. On topic though, while this is well and good, there seems to be a lack of all natural food, don't get me wrong, I love munching on cat tails. But shouldn't we be able to consume the rose hips? Or find some rotten apples in the pleasant valley orchard? Also, making bread is something already discussed, but that would be awesome as well. Personally, I think hinterland is focusing on bigger matters. So I guess this wave of food will have to wait. But I just hope the next update will be like sunny with a chance of meatballs. Bring on the food! :D

Just now, Docterrok said:

I ate a handful because of a dare, I don't care how healthy they are, they are absolutely vile in every way imaginable. It's like hell for tastebuds. On topic though, while this is well and good, there seems to be a lack of all natural food, don't get me wrong, I love munching on cat tails. But shouldn't we be able to consume the rose hips? Or find some rotten apples in the pleasant valley orchard? Also, making bread is something already discussed, but that would be awesome as well. Personally, I think hinterland is focusing on bigger matters. So I guess this wave of food will have to wait. But I just hope the next update will be like sunny with a chance of meatballs. Bring on the food! :D

Shouldn't stop us from discussing here ;)

As for making bread, that at least requires some kind of grain flour, water and a heat source. However, I have yet to see a fuel-powered oven outside of PV, so this may be highly situational.

As for apples, they likely do not exist anymore - the harvest is long done, and whatever leftovers there were was eaten by deer. One could reasonably argue for apples in the farmhouse's cellar, but they'd be inedible at best and downright toxic at worst.

Definitely agree on the rose hips, since they get sweeter the later you pluck them - the ones in game would probably taste of sugar and nothing else :D In Sweden, they're also made into a soup although I am positive our characters aren't really well versed on Swedish cuisine.

How about some rat traps? Rats in the in-game serious eat way less trash than city-rats do so their meat should be comparatively safe. Granted, there isn't much to them, but eating a rat is infinitely better than starving.

• 4 weeks later...

This entire thread, forum and community in one video:

Also, did someone mention cookies already? I'm having some as I write this. Seems like they could be cool. Also, chips - higher caloric content than crackers, cause less thirst but they don't last as long once opened.

I'm also in the market for some iced tea powder - let's get some calories out of that water! ;) 

11 hours ago, isidro_basta said:

... There's this huge grain silo in PV and I'd love to crack it open to see if there's any grain left.

It's probably feed corn not very good eating, but I suppose you could make porridge with it.

35 minutes ago, EternityTide said:

And then you find it's all been contaminated with ergot 

Trippy hallucinogenic porridge.

36 minutes ago, miah999 said:

Trippy hallucinogenic porridge.

Actually ergotism is less hallucinogenic, more feeling like your limbs have been set on fire. Gangrene and loss of limbs due to insufficient blood circulation (due to ergot causing vasoconstriction) were common outcomes of untreated ergot poisoning.

9 hours ago, miah999 said:

Jokes people, learn to laugh at them.

But if we're going to be serious, the ergot can be removed. 

Removal of ergot bodies is done by placing the yield in a brine solution; the ergot bodies float while the healthy grains sink.

Huh. Learn something every day. Wonder if your game character would know that though?

Archived