Mountaineer's Hut

Salty Crackers

It seems to, yes.  Which makes it unique in my experience.  I like to think it's intentionally designed this way instead of being an oversight.  It makes sense, being dug into permafrost.  Mountaineer's is now my preferred long-term survival locale because of this.  (I also don't mind sleeping in my clothes.)

Of note, however: @Scyzara reports in another thread that she contracted cabin fever recently from within the Hut.  I'm therefore not sure if all attributes of the Hut are being changed to reflect "indoor-ness".  I certainly hope not.  :/  All those holes in the place ought to count for something.

On 7.5.2016 at 8:28 AM, Dinhammer said:

Of note, however: @Scyzara reports in another thread that she contracted cabin fever recently from within the Hut.  I'm therefore not sure if all attributes of the Hut are being changed to reflect "indoor-ness".  I certainly hope not.  :/  All those holes in the place ought to count for something.

I just returned to TWM after a 29day-trip to PV to verify the issue.

Meat stored inside the hatch in the mountaineer's cabin decays 1% per day, that's definitely not the indoor deterioration rate, but the outdoor rate. (Meat stored inside the fishing hut drawers deteriorated for 1% per day as well.):normal:

However, some of my food reserves (pork & bean cans) which I had stored on a shelf had gone bad from 50%+ to 0% for some reason. I was a bit confused about that as tomato soup cans, on the other hand, had hardly decayed at all. I've made some notes about the condition of different types of canned food in my journal and will have a closer look at that later on.:crosseye:

To sum things up: The mountaineer's cabin counts as indoors for your journal statistics and for cabin fever, but as outdoors for the deterioration mechanics.

On 8.5.2016 at 1:17 PM, Scyzara said:

I've made some notes about the condition of different types of canned food in my journal and will have a closer look at that later on.:crosseye:

Returned to the TWM hut another 34 days later and checked the food deterioration both of food inside inside the hatch and of food lying on a shelf.

The first surprise was: deterioration rates were the same. So it's completely irrelevant whether you store food inside a container or not in outdoor locations. (For the mountaineer's hut is an outdoor location regarding the deterioration mechanics).

Decay rates for different kinds of foods were:

bear meat: 0,85% per day

soda: 0,85% per day 

condensed milk: 0,25% per day

tin of coffee:  0,12% per day

tomato soup: 0,06% per day

MRE: 0,03% per day

salty crackers & cup of coffee: no decay

Couldn't determine the deterioration rates of pork and beans and energy bars because everything rotted away and I have no idea when it hit 0%. :crosseye:

PS: Am I the only one who finds these rates a little odd?

Especially soda deteriorating as fast as cooked meat, tins of coffee faster than boiled coffee and condensed milk faster than MREs.

8 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Especially soda deteriorating as fast as cooked meat, tins of coffee faster than boiled coffee and condensed milk faster than MREs.

Very much so since soda doesn't even have expiry dates :silly:

i find it very odd that i can brew a cup of coffee, have it bouncing around in my backpack uncovered for 5 days and it not spill, or grow mold. speaking from experience (being a frequent black coffee drinker,) black coffee, if left sitting out for about 3 days will start to mold. and drinking this molded coffee (like my brother accidentally did once..) can make you EXTREMELY sick and give you stomach problems for days.

6 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

i find it very odd that i can brew a cup of coffee, have it bouncing around in my backpack uncovered for 5 days and it not spill, or grow mold. speaking from experience (being a frequent black coffee drinker,) black coffee, if left sitting out for about 3 days will start to mold. and drinking this molded coffee (like my brother accidentally did once..) can make you EXTREMELY sick and give you stomach problems for days.

I'm curious how much longer black coffee lasts when refrigerated (or frozen) sitting in a -3C environment.

I agree that cups of coffee or tea probably should deteriorate like food does, and hopefully at a reasonable realistic rate.

17 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Returned to the TWM hut another 34 days later and checked the food deterioration both of food inside inside the hatch and of food lying on a shelf.

The first surprise was: deterioration rates were the same. So it's completely irrelevant whether you store food inside a container or not in outdoor locations. (For the mountaineer's hut is an outdoor location regarding the deterioration mechanics).

Decay rates for different kinds of foods were:

bear meat: 0,85% per day

soda: 0,85% per day 

condensed milk: 0,25% per day

tin of coffee:  0,12% per day

tomato soup: 0,06% per day

MRE: 0,03% per day

salty crackers & cup of coffee: no decay

Couldn't determine the deterioration rates of pork and beans and energy bars because everything rotted away and I have no idea when it hit 0%. :crosseye:

Its odd that condensed milk is so fast, faster than tomato soup.  That stuff has a shelf life of years.  Eagle puts a best by stamp of 2 years post production and its actually good for a at least another year.  Tomato soup is about 1 1/2 years.

22 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Agree that canned goods really last a long time. I do wonder how long they were there before we showed up though.  May have already been years...

true but I would expect the decay rates to be different.  oh, and what is it with the designers and peaches?

11 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

This is the first game I've played with peaches. I guess you must see peaches a lot? ;)

bunches, the only advantage is you can heat them.  Otherwise they're heavy and not many calories.  I tend to rotate them to fishing huts.

11 hours ago, cekivi said:

Well, they are a thing an I definitely keep a can or two of peaches in my apartment for if I want fruit but can't be bothered to go to the grocery store to get it fresh :winky:

applesauce that's what applesauce is for. :) 

13 hours ago, cekivi said:

Well, they are a thing an I definitely keep a can or two of peaches in my apartment for if I want fruit but can't be bothered to go to the grocery store to get it fresh :winky:

Fresher is healthier but I guess canned is better than none ;)

1 hour ago, Jolan said:

bunches, the only advantage is you can heat them.  Otherwise they're heavy and not many calories.  I tend to rotate them to fishing huts.

I treat canned peaches like soda you can heat up :)

But true, not much calories.

7 hours ago, Jolan said:

applesauce that's what applesauce is for. :) 

I also usually have a jar or two of applesauce in my apartment as well :big_smile:

Like ice fishing, I usually keep the peaches in the game because I enjoy them in real life and I mostly play the Long Dark as if I was role playing. Now, if at some future date food affects morale than peaches would be far better because they're something rare, sweet and juicy in an otherwise frozen landscape.

4 hours ago, cekivi said:

I also usually have a jar or two of applesauce in my apartment as well :big_smile:

Like ice fishing, I usually keep the peaches in the game because I enjoy them in real life and I mostly play the Long Dark as if I was role playing. Now, if at some future date food affects morale than peaches would be far better because they're something rare, sweet and juicy in an otherwise frozen landscape.

If food affected morale...for me it'd definitely be raw fish! But only saltwater fish. I cook the freshwater stuff.

17 hours ago, cekivi said:

their weight is why I stash then in the huts.  That way (assuming I'm not doing my best squirrel imitation and forgotten where I stashed the goofy things) I've got something to keep me warm while I'm fishing.  

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been there since the v.325 update, but as of the v.304 update the side porch at the PV Farmhouse counted as an interior - I think. I seem to recall it was sheltered from the blizzards and it was the same as being inside the house itself in terms of "feels like" temperatures. 

2 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

I haven't been there since the v.325 update, but as of the v.304 update the side porch at the PV Farmhouse counted as an interior - I think. I seem to recall it was sheltered from the blizzards and it was the same as being inside the house itself in terms of "feels like" temperatures. 

That porch is warmer than the inside of the house

Archived