Bow Hunting Deer Tactics

SteveP

Currently (v.302) bow hunting for deer is quite tricky. We don't have a hunting blind, camouflage, tree stand or suitable brush for hiding. You can creep quite close to deer however when you stand up, the deer flee immediately. Coordinating the standing up and shooting the bow is very tricky and difficult. Even using the wolves to take down deer seems to be quite problematic since deer now seem able to detect wolves and will flee from them running right past us.

Are there any tactics that others are using to successfully bow hunt deer? Please share your thoughts and ideas.

Note: This is also related to Feedback and Wishlist but I don't think we can cross post to multiple forums.

Wind direction has big influence on deer detection range. If it can't smell you and you are a little bit behind it, then you have a bigger window of opportunity to aim and shoot. Standing up and aiming isn't that difficult. With little practice, you can aim a little lower and when you stand up, then you are aiming when you want. Then draw, shoot, harvest.

If you want to use wolves to take down a deer, then it's better to wait for a wolf to start a hunt and then follow him. Wolves are always quicker then deers, so it's only a matter of time, when they catch their prey.

It's still possible to chase a deer into the path of a wolf, but it does take some experience to get the timing/ distance right. When you scare a deer it will take of in the opposite direction. It will run for a given time until it is no longer scared. If at this time it is close enough to notice the wolf, but to far for the wolf to notice the deer, it will run away from the wolf without the wolf following it. If this happens, run ahead of the deer so when it is no longer scared of the wolf, you are still in front of it and it will run towards the wolf again. As long as the deer is still scared of the wolf, it will ignore your presence and run right past you, so you have to stay ahead of it to scare it back in the right direction.

The trick is to not scare the deer towards the wolf until the wolf is close enough to the deer that the deer will run into the wolfs detection range. Once that happens, the wolf will start to stalk the deer and it will almost always win, like @Majales said. Then you move in to either kill the wolf or scare it away.

My preferred tactic is to take the shot from range. I prefer to approach the deer from a 3/4 angle so that I have a bit more surface area to play with, and go for a head/chest shot. You can get very close sneaking up, but as you say the fact that the deer begins to bolt as soon as you stand means an accurate head/chest shot is made even more difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8EMYOxxr9ss

Failing taking a shot from range, I'll sometimes just run at a corned deer then shoot it as it runs around - often times they'll practically run straight into me. 

I've not had a issue of deer bolting upon standing.  Instead, I see them bolt when I draw back, seeming to hear the tension ring through the bow.

Regardless, the deer like all animals in this game move in basic straight lines.  Position yourself in front of them then remain motionless.  Not moving is easy, just take you fingers off the controls.  You are now invisible.  They will walk right up to you.  Possibly over you if you are crouching.  Hit them as they flee.

Or, learn their territorial boundaries.  Chase them toward an edge then prepare for them to "bounce off" and charge right back at you.  Release at point blank.

But the best is to learn to accurately aim the bow and hit them from beyond detection range, when they are standing still, looking around or pawing at snow.

Cool video, illianthropist! Only problem is, no closed captioning (I'm deaf so can't understand the voice over). So while it was interesting and explained a lot, I'm left with a question or two that was probably answered in the commentary. Does wind affect your arrow? In other words, I feel like such a lightweight, slow speed projectile as an arrow would be easily blown off course by strong winds. Also does it have less impact over greater distances as it does IRL? Also, a little off topic, but will deer run out onto thin ice in the Coastal Highway map? If they do, will they fall through the ice? Or is there an invisible boundary that keeps them from running out into lethal conditions? I skipped parts of this video because it shows maps I haven't yet visited!

44 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

Cool video, illianthropist! Only problem is, no closed captioning (I'm deaf so can't understand the voice over). So while it was interesting and explained a lot, I'm left with a question or two that was probably answered in the commentary. Does wind affect your arrow? In other words, I feel like such a lightweight, slow speed projectile as an arrow would be easily blown off course by strong winds. Also does it have less impact over greater distances as it does IRL? Also, a little off topic, but will deer run out onto thin ice in the Coastal Highway map? If they do, will they fall through the ice? Or is there an invisible boundary that keeps them from running out into lethal conditions? I skipped parts of this video because it shows maps I haven't yet visited!

Sorry, I'm a bow noob, just shared the vid as was helpful.  As far as I can gather distance doesn't seem to affect velocity or power, no drag to consider or anything in terms of the thin ice, I imagine given the animals have set paths they wouldn't go that way.

Only guesses though, @GELtaz or @Raphael van Lierop are probably the best to consult.

57 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

Thanks, glad you enjoyed. I will answer the best I can.

To my knowledge,

The wind does not affect arrows at the moment. 

The Deer will not fall through the ice, but just turn around and head in an other direction.

The distance doesn't seem to affect the impact, I did a video called The Light House head shot from a distance.

Also, it is good to know that the conditions of the arrows will not affect the impact, I just one shot a bear and the arrow broke.

I understand for not watching all of the video. Thanks for watching some of it :)

21 minutes ago, illanthropist said:

Sorry, I'm a bow noob, just shared the vid as was helpful.  As far as I can gather distance doesn't seem to affect velocity or power, no drag to consider or anything in terms of the thin ice, I imagine given the animals have set paths they wouldn't go that way.

Only guesses though, @GELtaz or @Raphael van Lierop are probably the best to consult.

illanthropist I wanna say Thanks a great deal for sharing!, much appreciated Buddy!

20 minutes ago, illanthropist said:

I'm terrible with a bow, though I confess to not having much practise.  Not bad with the rifle though, your right in your vid about aiming lower, I guess it's to compensate for kickback taking it up and off centre.

Patrice is key for sure, I got a lot of it! You will get better. I also get lucky :) 

Right compensate for the kickback exactly!

I love the way the survival bow is one of the hardest to master compared to other games, it makes it that much more satisfying when you achieve your shot!!! :)  

7 minutes ago, GELtaz said:

Patrice is key for sure, I got a lot of it! You will get better. I also get lucky :) 

Right compensate for the kickback exactly!

I love the way the survival bow is wanna of the hardest to master compared to other games, it makes it that much more satisfying when you achieve your shot!!! :)  

First thing I managed to shoot was the locker in Trappers Cabin, but that vid inspired me to craft some more.  Really had no idea it worked similar to a real life, figured would just rely on line of sight.

Archived