More wood to chop

exeexe

I like the idea that u have to go outside in the cold to get wood but if u stay at the same place for a while like at the cabin in the new map, you run out of wood to chop. So i think there should be more wood. Like it should spawn faster, considering you are surrounded by big trees which you could chop down but instead you are limited to only chop big lumps of wood falling off the tree for what ever reason. So there should be more wood to chop to compensate that you cant take down a whole tree.

I mean before the new wood chopping mechanics was introduced you had unlimited amount of wood to chop.

honestly, I play also in stalker, and I never got run out of wood to chop.

the main issue in some regions is to be able to chop it without freezing to death ;)

Yeah and when u ran out of wood to chop you have to go further away to find wood and then you freeze more and more per trip.. and then you freeze more than you can heal up, and then you die

considering you are surrounded by big trees which you could chop down but instead you are limited to only chop big lumps of wood falling off the tree for what ever reason. So there should be more wood to chop to compensate that you cant take down a whole tree.

You have a hatchet not an axe, so it's not meant for being able to chop down trees. That's why there's more than enough wood, branches, and especially sticks to keep you going for a very long time. ;)

Yeah and when u ran out of wood to chop you have to go further away to find wood and then you freeze more and more per trip.. and then you freeze more than you can heal up, and then you die

Have you ever considered lighting a fire next to the spot where you want to chop wood? You can use 1 Cedar firewood in the fire and harvest 3 (or even 5) from a limb you're chopping, without losing any body heat at all - in fact, you're warmer afterwards than when you started to chop. And if you have any fire-time left afterwards, you can boil up a hot drink to give you a heat bonus for the walk home.

Have you ever considered lighting a fire next to the spot where you want to chop wood? You can use 1 Cedar firewood in the fire and harvest 3 (or even 5) from a limb you're chopping, without losing any body heat at all - in fact, you're warmer afterwards than when you started to chop. And if you have any fire-time left afterwards, you can boil up a hot drink to give you a heat bonus for the walk home.

I do this ALL the time, especially in the opening of the game, where the clothing is a pathetic +6 degrees heat. By using a little wood for a fire, you can harvest lots of wood, without freezing at all. I use this "trick" to also stave off freezing while harvesting meat/skins/guts, and it is a life saver (literally!)

The problem is you need the fire to last only 45 minutes. But if this fire has to keep you warm it has to be like a 2 hour long fire so you waste a lot of wood using this procedure.

considering you are surrounded by big trees which you could chop down but instead you are limited to only chop big lumps of wood falling off the tree for what ever reason. So there should be more wood to chop to compensate that you cant take down a whole tree.

You have a hatchet not an axe, so it's not meant for being able to chop down trees. That's why there's more than enough wood, branches, and especially sticks to keep you going for a very long time. ;)

I dont see any physical hindrance as to why u cant take down a whole tree with a hatchet. Ok its smaller but you just have to spend more energy then. Also there are trees that have already fallen down to the ground and you cant harvest/touch them.

In a survival situation every possible thing you can do counts. A pencil might be suitable for writing on paper but it can also be used to kill a wolf - if your life depended on it.

The problem is you need the fire to last only 45 minutes. But if this fire has to keep you warm it has to be like a 2 hour long fire so you waste a lot of wood using this procedure.

This isn't a problem at all, it is a tradeoff and a very successful one at that. Permitting you to double your wood gathering productivity.

I'd argue it's not a waste of wood if it's keeping you from freezing, but at a certain point if you've picked an area clean, just move to another cabin for a few days until the next blizzard.

One strategy I often employ is to go on a wood-farming binge. You harvest everything around the cabin, dump it all inside, then head over to a secondary outpost, and repeat. It's really only viable if you have a lot of food spare to be spending so much time harvesting wood, but it means you have a ready supply.

I'm at day 225 in my current stalker run and I have maybe burned 15 logs in total. And I found most of those. When I'm walking outside I always pick up every stick I see (as long as it is save to do so) and I have almost never needed anything else to build all the fires I want.

Yeah, more wood to chop would be nice.

Maybe make an in-between tree you can chop down for wood, smaller than a fully grown one but bigger than a sapling.

Or maybe put more of the already existing wood around, that would be less work.

I find myself sometimes in a blizzard with no wood in sight, which is a death sentence.

Archived