Fishing hole request

mjv96

I'd like to see us have the ability to burn/cut a hole in the ice in an area that has no fishing huts (desolation point at present, who knows about future maps). Fishing huts are nice, but I'd still like to fish if I have water, even if it puts me at the mercy of the weather.

Maybe not anywhere, but there could be weak spots or fissures that could be selected the same way fishing holes are. They might have more possible locations than actual instances, so the locations would change from game to game (like bunkers).

+1, love this version of the idea.

Maybe not anywhere, but there could be weak spots or fissures that could be selected the same way fishing holes are. They might have more possible locations than actual instances, so the locations would change from game to game (like bunkers).

+1 on randomly placed weak spots on maps. Just to be fair even DP should have at least one and it'll be balanced by the need that we need to find it... plus hatchet or prybar. :P

+1 on randomly placed weak spots on maps. Just to be fair even DP should have at least one and it'll be balanced by the need that we need to find it... plus hatchet or prybar. :P

I would like to hear why DP "should have" a fishing hut?

Apparently, DP is an isolated location. ML and CH have tourist locations that are dedicated to fishing. DP, after closer examination, does not.

Apparently, DP is an isolated location. ML and CH have tourist locations that are dedicated to fishing. DP, after closer examination, does not.

Well that's exactly the reason why it should have a "weak spot" where the ice can be broken INSTEAD of a fishing hut.

Did you even read what I replied to? :mrgreen:

A simple reason for DP to have any kind of fishing access is because it is on the ocean, there are fish in that there ocean, and there is ice protecting them little morsels of fish. I love the idea of a weakened ice area or a fissure and have it in a random location.

I'm personally a big fan of the fisherman survivalist playstyle in The Long Dark, so thanks everyone for their feedback here. One thing I'm curious about is how you would dig out the fishing hole in the game. Would you be up to finding fishing holes away from huts if by uncovering them, there was a small change of falling through weak ice? Just speculating here.

+1 to weak spots in the ice.

Failing that, at least one fishing hut makes sense because that's the mechanic the devs chose to allow fishing in game. There are people in the area, and those people need food. There is a plentiful supply of food under the ice. There are also materials available to build the hut (in the old whaling station).

Ice fishing is not a "tourist" activity. It's a food-gathering activity for people who live in very cold places.

DP "looks" isolated, but it totally isn't. You can walk from the Coastal Townsite to DP in a couple of minutes real-time, or a couple of hours in-game. In a car, it would probably take you a couple of minutes. Remember: that road (aka the "collapsed highway") is a pretty major road

Who, exactly, lives in Desolation Point? Who would be required to gather food in that fashion?

The lighthouse keeper? Sure, with all the benefits of their probably-government-paid position, they are going to shlep out onto the ice to fish for their dinner ....... /sarcasm

The workers in the factory? The factory that probably hasn't seen usage in decades (since 1972, specifically http://www.greenparty.ca/en/policy/visi ... le-hunting)?. Not including the fact that the workers most likely had their own food brought in for them, or lived in the nearby Coastal Highway.

No, the only form of fishing we see in-game is ice-fishing, and even then, 1) only in places where a decent number of people lived, or 2) in places where there was clear and deliberate evidence of ice-fishing-related tourism ( Hint: In the Northern US and Canada, Ice fishing is a HUMONGOUS tourist industry). Not people sustaining themselves through fishing.

I'm personally a big fan of the fisherman survivalist playstyle in The Long Dark, so thanks everyone for their feedback here. One thing I'm curious about is how you would dig out the fishing hole in the game. Would you be up to finding fishing holes away from huts if by uncovering them, there was a small change of falling through weak ice? Just speculating here.

I'd have no problem with just trying to find them but I personally was more going for just making one ourselves. I'd even risk it on weak ice though I think just making a raging fire on ice and letting it sit for a bit would be more effective. Time consuming for sure, but I wouldn't have to worry about going thru.

Personally, I too love the fishing in the game and would love to see more of it.

For me, I would not want to risk falling through weak ice UNLESS there was a chance you could survive. For instance, your character would get instant maximum freezing and hypothermia but you'll live if you can warm up fast enough. As long as falling through wasn't instant death it would be a very fun risk/reward mechanic in the game.

In real life, you can dig a hole with only an axe. There are several "Survivorman" episodes where Les Stroud does this in Canada. Although an ice auger would be nice to have in the game it's such a specialized tool I don't think it will be worth it to implement. The Long Dark doesn't have to be true to life to still be fun :)

For me, I see this type of ice fishing working one of two ways.

Method 1:

Like the original poster said you find/uncover "weak points" in ice that you can dig though. This may be easier to implement as the developers only have to add a randomly generated element that players then find and use. All other aspects of the ice fishing mechanic remain the same (acts the same as an ice fishing hole).

Method 2:

Players may dig a hole anywhere they want provided there is ice and water beneath. Similar to placing a fire you select where to dig your hole and begin digging. You would need an axe since it would be an exercise in futility to use anything else. You should be able to spread digging over several days since it would take a lot of time and energy to dig through two feet of ice with just an axe. I've tried and it took an hour to dig a 3 foot square hole six inches deep. For added realism you can map the likelihood of catching fish to the proximity to different lake features (the sea is just the sea). This is the method I prefer since I would like to be able to fish anywhere. However, it's probably the harder method to implement.

I will continue advocating the weak spot approach.

As far as opening holes in the ice goes, I think it should be identical to the mechanic at holes in fishing shacks. Keep it simple.

As to falling in, I agree with cekivi -- instant (or rapid) freezing and hypothermia. If you turn an activity in the game into an instant kill, the only thing you accomplish is making sure no one wants to play that activity.

The chance of falling through the ice might increase each time a particular hole is opened. The hole might be unusable after the character falls through, replaced with a different graphic feature.

For a visual to go with the plunge, the simplest thing for gameplay would be a VERY quick cut-scene, a POV of dropping, going under water, then crawling back onto the ice. I'm thinking no more than five seconds.

Another option might be to put the character in "crouch" mode with a big cracking noise, and stop the character's temperature dropping (or condition falling) when the player un-crouches the character. Or the game might go into wolf-fight mode; the character might lose 10-25% condition per second while the player clicks like mad to get the character out of the water.

For me, I would not want to risk falling through weak ice UNLESS there was a chance you could survive. For instance, your character would get instant maximum freezing and hypothermia but you'll live if you can warm up fast enough. As long as falling through wasn't instant death it would be a very fun risk/reward mechanic in the game.
As to falling in, I agree with cekivi -- instant (or rapid) freezing and hypothermia. If you turn an activity in the game into an instant kill, the only thing you accomplish is making sure no one wants to play that activity.

Ehm guys.. are you aware that falling through weak ice doesn't kill you in TLD anyway? ;)

You only lose 10% condition, get hypothermia and that's it. It's FAR from lethal (all modes).

@topic:

I would find it nice if fishing became more relevant again (preferably because animals were more scarce.) And Desolation point would definitely benefit from either a fishing hut or an ice drill option in my opinion.

I really like the ice drill thing, the hole could look about the same as in the fishing huts, once the hole is there you can break it open with any of the other tools but if you do not do that for a couple of days (lets say 3 days) the hole completely freezes and vanishes.

Ehm guys.. are you aware that falling through weak ice doesn't kill you in TLD anyway? ;)

You only lose 10% condition, get hypothermia and that's it. It's FAR from lethal (all modes).

I might be thinking of an earlier version of the Alpha. The only thin ice I was aware of was on the Coastal Highway and it was an instant kill if you went through. I've never experienced thin ice on the other maps.

I always took the weak ice warnings seriously and ran back the way I came when they popped up.

For "what weak spots", ice over still water is fairly stable, but ice over flowing water or currents (or shorelines that have waves?) is subject to various stresses, breaks, and melting from friction, so fractures and weak spots are possible.

-1 to ice drills. If the devs keep adding unique equipment for every new feature, the game will become unwieldy very quickly.

:shock: I was not aware of this, BUT then again, I never tried to test it either.

Archived