Submarine

paddytom

A sub as a place to explore would be nifty (loved the one in one of the Fallout3 DLC).

I also really like the idea of an abandoned military port and/or one or more larger ships. The boat introduced in Desolation Point was a ton of fun to explore that first time -- would love to see something like a large ship where it is going to take you several days to explore the whole thing, and with lots of resources - but is otherwise cut off from sustainable resources (ie, you have to trudge a ways to find game to hunt or firewood to gather, etc) making it not the best place to call home, but a good place to make "resource runs" to from time to time.

...maybe with a (crashed) carrier or other huge ship, have a spot where a bulkhead buckled and cuts off access to the next large portion of the interior, where you have to spend a bunch of time (and calories) clearing it away such that you'd have to be able to spare the time/food to be able to access that section (thinking an interface like the crafting table, where you can spend certain amounts of time to make progress)... then have another section where a fallen support beam is barring the door from opening, and the only way to access it is to spend a lot of time with a hacksaw getting rid of the support beam...

Would make for an interesting addition if it could be gated off in stages, so that gathering food and tools not just to survive, but so that you can manage that next foray to the ship to explore that lower deck you just couldn't reach last time, etc.

A sub as a place to explore would be nifty (loved the one in one of the Fallout3 DLC).

I also really like the idea of an abandoned military port and/or one or more larger ships. The boat introduced in Desolation Point was a ton of fun to explore that first time -- would love to see something like a large ship where it is going to take you several days to explore the whole thing, and with lots of resources - but is otherwise cut off from sustainable resources (ie, you have to trudge a ways to find game to hunt or firewood to gather, etc) making it not the best place to call home, but a good place to make "resource runs" to from time to time.

...maybe with a (crashed) carrier or other huge ship, have a spot where a bulkhead buckled and cuts off access to the next large portion of the interior, where you have to spend a bunch of time (and calories) clearing it away such that you'd have to be able to spare the time/food to be able to access that section (thinking an interface like the crafting table, where you can spend certain amounts of time to make progress)... then have another section where a fallen support beam is barring the door from opening, and the only way to access it is to spend a lot of time with a hacksaw getting rid of the support beam...

Would make for an interesting addition if it could be gated off in stages, so that gathering food and tools not just to survive, but so that you can manage that next foray to the ship to explore that lower deck you just couldn't reach last time, etc.

+1 i love all of this.

At first I was a little bit skeptical about how a sub would fit in, but after I was reminded how fun it was to see it in Fallout3 and saw Dark's other ideas I really got interested in it. :)

+1 for new location and mechanics. :D

Love the subs as well, maybe an abandoned military port?

Maybe aircraft carrier? Huge explorable area.

Cheers! Yeah a military port would be awesome and so would a huge aircraft carrier!! Something that can fill in a lot of the open space that would be frozen sea. :mrgreen:

That sounds awesome!! I also love the idea of different parts of the area (sub/ship) that cannot be accessed until you have specific tools or a specific skillset.

Also had the idea of another hatch that is frozen over (water tank stored on an upper deck ruptured at some point and leaked down onto it?) such that you had to chip away at it with tools like for ice fishing (but not having more water to "refreeze"). Bonus points if it is in the engineering spaces of the ship that includes another forge, and if you get the ambient temp high enough you get a bonus to chip away the ice faster.

*shrug* So many ideas - many of them bad ones I'm sure, but so much more that could be done... really making me want for some development/modding tools so that I could just start creating some of the level design ideas in my head. :)

The only naval base in East Canada, as far as I can tell, is the CFB Esquimalt on the southern tip of Vancouver island. I know that TLD is set in a somewhat fictitious Canada, but I think you need to put a good few miles of wilderness between an industrial setting like Desolation point and a Military base, otherwise the industrial feel will begin to become a bit samey.

just my $0.02

You may enjoy this read about the local submarines here near Vancouver Island... You'll see why we Canadians joke about having the best canoes as the main part of our fleets :P

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/royal-cana ... -1.2258720

SIDE NOTE: Did a film shoot years ago in a submarine -- very tiny and cramped (not much room for exploration)... Always wished there was something here more like The Seaview from Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea

4264a.jpg

Is the Canadian Navy in such a poor state that they need to buy Britain's old crap? I mean, Canada is much larger, and its GDP per capita is 1.24 times larger than the UK's. I mean, the UK just rolled out its Astute class submarine....

centerhttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/HMS_Ambush.jpg/300px-HMS_Ambush.jpg... which costs about £1.16 million each.

SIDE NOTE: Did a film shoot years ago in a submarine -- very tiny and cramped (not much room for exploration)... Always wished there was something here more like The Seaview from Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea

Well I guess the sub would rather be a "water based bunker" to loot that's hard to open rather then an exploration site.

A bigger ship like a carrier or the like would be more fit to explore, but in reality I'd say a military ship's interior is too repetitive and would just get people lost over and over while never showing anything new. I'd say maybe a smaller more compact ship like a cruiser or a broken half of a smaller battleship would make an interesting location without turning repetitive too early?

I think any large "stuck" vehicle would be a boon: cargo ship, super tanker, fish processing vessel, destroyer, etc. I would also think smaller vehicles would be a nice touch: fishing boats (like the current one), planes of various sizes, buses, passenger trains, semi trucks and trailers, etc. Even if you just sprinkled a few mini vans and a 4 wheeler into the mix it would be a nice change of pace.

+1 for more diversity of wrecks and explorable add ons.

... then have another section where a fallen support beam is barring the door from opening, and the only way to access it is to spend a lot of time with a hacksaw getting rid of the support beam...

Love the idea of having to cut through something to access an area, even if its just an old metal shelf or two to get rid of with the hacksaw.

Archived