Reduce time to break down branches

saxel

I think the wood splitting mechanic would be good. You can do this with a knife and another piece of wood, called batoning. So we don't HAVE to just use an axe to split with. Now if you are sundering piece the thicker than the length of your blade, you are going to need an axe.

I also think the devs need to allow us to "feather" a stick to make a tinder plug. Since we can't just go out and forage for tinder plugs anymore. You either have to find cat tails, birch bark, get a plug from a cedar limb or cut up cardboard.

Breaking branches should take a few seconds. BUT!

Limbs should take 45 minutes because it's cold out and it does take quite long out in the cold.

Furniture should be revamped too.

And the game is based on realism too a degree but if you make the game too unrealistic it just doesn't feel right.

I, personally, carry all of my fire-starting materials in several different places around my body, with most (not all, in case something happens) of my tinder directly next to my skin, either in the armpit or the crotch. The high body heat in those locations dries tinder out fast, and keeps it dry.

How exactly do you carry tinder in your armpits? I mean, would it not fall out when you move your arms? (Not trying to be funny, I'm being serious for a change :))

With multiple layers of clothing, the innermost-layer (aka "wicking", on me, it is usually a woolen undershirt) tends to be .. not tight, but "snug"? I can definitely move around in it, but it isn't as baggy as my "warmth" and "weather" layers. This keeps the pouch next to the skin, regardless of how I move my arm.

Regardless, I tend to not move my arms around that much. Energy expenditure, you know? And, if I do, I usually move my right arm, being right-handed.

I, personally, carry all of my fire-starting materials in several different places around my body, with most (not all, in case something happens) of my tinder directly next to my skin, either in the armpit or the crotch. The high body heat in those locations dries tinder out fast, and keeps it dry.

How exactly do you carry tinder in your armpits? I mean, would it not fall out when you move your arms? (Not trying to be funny, I'm being serious for a change :))

With multiple layers of clothing, the innermost-layer (aka "wicking", on me, it is usually a woolen undershirt) tends to be .. not tight, but "snug"? I can definitely move around in it, but it isn't as baggy as my "warmth" and "weather" layers. This keeps the pouch next to the skin, regardless of how I move my arm.

Regardless, I tend to not move my arms around that much. Energy expenditure, you know? And, if I do, I usually move my right arm, being right-handed.

I make a pouch between my inner layer and my shirt at my stomach. As I walk, I stuff snow into a metal canteen and put that in the pouch. If I don't need to melt snow, I forage for tinder as I go and put it there. Once I know it is good, I move it that tinder into a quart freezer zip-loc bag (they are awesome containers). When I finally decided to make camp, I have the foraged tinder to use. However, sometimes it is just to wet for most foraged tinder to work. You have to either baton wood + feathering + accelerants (like pine sap and fat wood) or really do some serious searching. One of the reason why I take a tinder kit with me. At least I have enough to get my first few fires started.

• 3 weeks later...

I would LOVE to see animations for all of these small tasks.

Imagine, you find a branch. "Break Down" you command it, and there's a couple of seconds animation of your leg simply smashing down on the brand, perhaps your hand tugging one end up to break it. Bang, done. With a rewarding and noisy animation for the player.

Imagine the joy for players when you choose to break up an armchair, a starting animation of the player getting his axe ready and making the first swing, then fading to black with all the wonderful smashing sounds.

These kind of small details would really make the world enjoyable to interact with.

And yeah, I know the game world has accelerated time and the game needs to be challenging, but taking 10 minutes to snap a branch, or an hour to chop up a simple tree limb... that's stupid.

Archived