steam achievements

nicko

• 4 weeks later...

These are great and give you something to do (I'm at day 190 now in PV and grinding out to day 200). I have a few ideas for more.

Other ideas:

Exploration Game - add PV locations to that.

Marksman - kill a wolf, deer and bear each with one shot. (rifle and/or bow?)

Tastes Like Chicken - eat all of the following: bear, deer, wolf, rabbit and fish (possibly eat raw and cooked?)

Trekker - achieve some large distance traveled in a day. Probably means walking from dawn to dusk.

Top of the World - find the highest point (altitude) in each map.

Walking Dead - survive at least a full day after health had previously dropped below 10% (or maybe dropped all the way to 1% ?!)

What Doesn't Kill Me ... - survive all of the possible medical afflictions and live at least a full day after in a single game (ankle and wrist sprains, blood loss, laceration, infection, food poisoning, burn, etc.) I think I've had them all but Hypothermia since the new update came out.

Grand Theft Auto - explore all the cars, including prying open their trunks, in single game

Also, a couple of the current one's I seem stuck on.

Night Walker - I've camped out all night on purpose now several times with no result. Once I stayed outside for a full 24 hours with nothing. Maybe I'm too close to a named structure? (for me I'm usually camped outside near the PV Farmhouse in case I need to go inside) Does this mean staying out under a named bridge won't work either? There's a shack or two I might try after I get to day 200.

Living Off the Land - It's supposed to be 25 days of natural food. But last day I ate anything packaged was a candy bar on early twilight of day 163. I'm now at day 190 eating only natural harvested food (bear, deer, wolf and water) and still no success. Does medicine count as food? Not sure how many more days of this I have to endure before I can have a coffee or can of peaches just for the fun of it.

• 2 months later...
Need to harvest 25 cattails, 25 mushrooms, 25 old man's beard lichen, and 25 rosehip plants [note]

Hrm this is bugged big time one of them is not working and I have harvest nearly double of each now, ie over 35 plus, hips is at 67x. still I do not get that steam achievement - Happy Harvester. Is it because i convert some to tea? i can only think it the reshi mushrooms causing this issue as that is now showing as under 25 - now 9 because i always make the tea. I have a bunch of cups of it in my homestead. screenies coming soon see below.

001x.png

002x.png

003x.png

Night Walker - I've camped out all night on purpose now several times with no result. Once I stayed outside for a full 24 hours with nothing. Maybe I'm too close to a named structure? (for me I'm usually camped outside near the PV Farmhouse in case I need to go inside) Does this mean staying out under a named bridge won't work either? There's a shack or two I might try after I get to day 200.

First of, I like your suggestions for new achievements. But note that it is (normally) not possible to kill a bear with one shot. They take 3-4 headshots to kill.

As for nightwalker, I did that one by sleeping during the day (inside) and then spend the night fishing in a fishing hut on ML.

Living Off the Land - It's supposed to be 25 days of natural food. But last day I ate anything packaged was a candy bar on early twilight of day 163. I'm now at day 190 eating only natural harvested food (bear, deer, wolf and water) and still no success. Does medicine count as food? Not sure how many more days of this I have to endure before I can have a coffee or can of peaches just for the fun of it.

I believe you can only achieve this one by eating only natural food for the first 25 days of the game.

Same with the don't kill anything for 50 days achievement.

Hrm this is bugged big time one of them is not working and I have harvest nearly double of each now, ie over 35 plus, hips is at 67x.

You get 8 rose hips per plant so to get to 25 plant you need to harvest 200 rose hips.

Hrm this is bugged big time one of them is not working and I have harvest nearly double of each now, ie over 35 plus, hips is at 67x.

You get 8 rose hips per plant so to get to 25 plant you need to harvest 200 rose hips.

what? the achievement says 25 harvests not 200.

hrm maybe I just need to find more rose hips then damm- still sounds bugged to me

I believe you can only achieve this one by eating only natural food for the first 25 days of the game.

I don't think that's correct. The issue is, you can't eat anything you haven't harvested, so if you find a chunk of meat in a freezer or on the ground, you can't eat that. If you harvest it from a plant or animal, or catch it yourself (fish) you can eat it.

Tea does count against this, because it has calories. Water doesn't.

what? the achievement says 25 harvests not 200.

hrm maybe I just need to find more rose hips then damm- still sounds bugged to me

That's no bug, you need to read the achievement text more thoroughly.

It says: "Harvested 25 of each kind of plant" which means that you need to harvest 25 rose hip plants (which will give you 200 rose hips alltogether).

It doesn't say anything about collecting 25 rose hip fruits. ;)

What I personally find way more misunderstandable about this achievement is that it includes lichen and mushrooms even though it only tells you to collect "plants". But I've already suggested to change the text to "plants and fungi" about one year ago. *sigh*

I don't think that's correct. The issue is, you can't eat anything you haven't harvested, so if you find a chunk of meat in a freezer or on the ground, you can't eat that. If you harvest it from a plant or animal, or catch it yourself (fish) you can eat it.

Tea does count against this, because it has calories. Water doesn't.

You're probably right.

Congrats! :)

thank you :) one to go - Exploration game. Visit every interior location in both Mystery Map and Coastal Highway. (single game)

Has anyone got or should I say achieved this achievement yet? when they say every interior location that could really mean anything. from entering a house to looking in a glove box or boot of a car. would love more specifics before wasting my time trying this achievement. and I presume single game mean one Run/ play before you cark it.

But note that it is (normally) not possible to kill a bear with one shot. They take 3-4 headshots to kill.

I have killed bear several times with a single shot to the face especially easy using a torch or fire. It's about a 50% chance of a quick kill according to the wikia site for the long dark.

But note that it is (normally) not possible to kill a bear with one shot. They take 3-4 headshots to kill.

I have killed bear several times with a single shot to the face especially easy using a torch or fire. It's about a 50% chance of a quick kill according to the wikia site for the long dark.

True, you can kill a bear by shooting it once and then waiting for it to die. But that's not within the spirit of how I would interpret such an achievement.

True, you can kill a bear by shooting it once and then waiting for it to die. But that's not within the spirit of how I would interpret such an achievement.

It's also possible to kill a bear with a single shot instantly. Octavian once posted a video of such a lucky shot to the heart region - I personally only had such kills when shooting a bear's forehead. It certainly doesn't happen every time I shoot a bear, but it does happen quite often. Maybe 1/3 of the time the bear just drops dead instantly after the first head shot, no idea why. The other 2/3 of the time it takes 2 shots to the forehead to kill it, but never more than that.^^

I think a whole lot of confusion regarding the amount of bullets you need to kill a bear comes from that odd bug (I refuse to believe that it's a feature..) that they now sometimes reset their health back to 100% and non-bleeding status when you change zones (e.g. enter a house after shooting the bear). This makes it look as if you needed way more bullets to kill a bear than you actually do. :(

Didn't know they changed that. When the bears were introduced it was impossible to instakill them with just 1 shot.

I actually do believe that bears resetting their health when you enter a house might be a feature as I don't think shooting a bear once and then quickly entering a building to wait in safety for it to die is how hinterland has intended bears to work.

Unfortunately noone really has an idea how bear hunting is supposed to work, I guess, because the Devs don't tell us anything about it. I think you know my point of view, elloco - I want bears to be difficult and/or risky to hunt myself, but this whole health-reset issue is ridiculous.

There are ten different other ways to kill bears in a safer and even less challenging way than to escape into a building. And bears don't reset health if you shoot them from within a fishing hut or on top of some rock or next to a fire or anywhere else where they can't reach you.

I just find it hard to believe that the possibility to shoot bears safely from an extremely close distance (2m in front of your porch/fishing hut/fire/whatever) without any movement or risk of attack involved might be intentional, but at the same time the possibility to shoot them from a greater distance (while you're risking to be mauled if you turn around and enter the building too slow) might be non-intentional. This inconsistency just doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway, let's just hope that bear AI gets a massive overhaul prior to the final release to make it less exploitable in general.

• 3 weeks later...
Specifically, what elloco999 said, but you also don't need to visit:

- caves

- bunkers

- lookouts

Basically, each house/trailer/building in the two maps that have a door you can enter, minus the two lookouts (which have doors, but no loading screen).

yay = awesome, I finally achieved the last steam achievement in v2.82. visit every building in ML and CH maps! I thought I would never get is seeing a few buildings had changed (burnt down building)

Just in time for next release.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not consider the killing of an animal an achievement in the context of the game either. It is a necessary sacrifice of one animal's life so that another may survive. My point was about whether you can dispatch the bear with a single shot. Animals aren't particularly noble about killing; they can be wasteful or kill unnecessarily for emotional reasons, as humans sometimes do. Humans have the potential to understand the broader context of the web of life; it doesn't mean they necessarily do or act to preserve it in the broadest context, as a society.

Archived