Question for the Community re: Custom Code sharing

Custom Code Sharing -- Do you use this?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Dane_B said:

As I see it there are two choices.

1. Leave it, or improve the choices in Custom. Those who don't use it loose nothing.

2. Take it away. Those who do use it loose everything.

The options desperately need expanding on in my view, but if that is not going to happen then leave it as-is.

They're not going to lose everything,just the codes...  The settings they have can be written down ,or even just take screenshots so you don't forget them..  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

The settings they have can be written down ,or even just take screenshots so you don't forget them..

However, this means writing down and manually entering ~65 settings. That is quite a bit of writing down. But the code is meant to be used for sharing, and that is exactly how it usually used. Like, there are several well-known modes. Sharing full list of parameters will be pain for posting and entering. And also prone to errors.

• Upvote 2

Just now, redsh said:

However, this means writing down and manually entering ~65 settings. That is quite a bit of writing down. But the code is meant to be used for sharing, and that is exactly how it usually used. Like, there are several well-known modes. Sharing full list of parameters will be pain for posting and entering. And also prone to errors.

Not necessarily.. I don't think anyone changes all the settings..  you just have to say I'm using loper but with X changes etc... or just posting screenshots to others should work..    

It might not be ideal but it's workable...  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Not necessarily.. I don't think anyone changes all the settings..  you just have to say I'm using loper but with X changes etc... or just posting screenshots to others should work..   

This is true for Gunloper, but Deadworld and NOGOA change a lot of settings, like half of them or more. Also, I don't think screenshots are a practical solution. Like, NOGOA is mostly known from the Twitch community, usually people have !nogoacode set up that you can quickly copy. Or it can be posted in the video description if it is a YouTube run. And with code you can just be sure that you are playing with the same settings and not one or two messed up.

• Upvote 1

Although I'm not a NOGOA player, I do use the custom code sharing for some of the challenges I create. And most recently, I created a website to create custom runs with completely randomized settings (and also offer the option to play a custom code without knowing the settings in advance).  The ability to customize settings and to share codes has really revitalized my gameplay and offered me a range of new types of difficulty settings and challenge settings outside of the built-in ones.

https://generator.babbaginator.com/

I would greatly miss having this functionality if it's taken away -- I've gotten too comfortable in Interloper, but don't necessarily want to play NOGOA. I do want to experience the game in many different ways.

I agree with other posters:

• the font choice for the code does make distinguishing lowercase Ls, uppercase Is, and 1s a little tricky sometimes
  • some way to copy the code to the clipboard would help
  • expanding the code size from 20 to 24 would be fine (I'd just update my generator)
  • the last update removed Fish Spawn Chance and put Cougar Spawn Chance instead -- making it impossible to fish.
  • allow for a few more settings to be available in custom (can we turn on or off some of the Misery afflictions in a non-Misery or custom-Misery game?)

Anyway, I love the game and the flexibility it offers to craft your own custom survival experience. I hope that the ability to share those settings is retained.

Much love,

Babbaginator

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, redsh said:

This is true for Gunloper, but Deadworld and NOGOA change a lot of settings, like half of them or more. Also, I don't think screenshots are a practical solution. Like, NOGOA is mostly known from the Twitch community, usually people have !nogoacode set up that you can quickly copy. Or it can be posted in the video description if it is a YouTube run. And with code you can just be sure that you are playing with the same settings and not one or two messed up.

Maybe if not give more time before changing it,if they do, then a site/thread could be set up just for codes.. there are a few spread out on the forum already but if there was somewhere for all possible ones ,with the option to hide certain details for those who like a surprise lol, could be a possible solution? 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Babbaginator said:

I created a website to create custom runs with completely randomized settings (and also offer the option to play a custom code without knowing the settings in advance).

This sounds awesome! What a cool thing

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

It might not be ideal but it's workable...  

I only play custom for my main runs, and I have a text file for different codes I use for slightly different experiences. I can't remember all the decision I made, I just copy in my code and it feels right. Except that one time I accidentally did a run with timberwolves turned off and wandered around Blackrock thinking 'this is easy, what's going on? Where is everyone!'

It's true there's not a huge culture of regular players sharing their settings - that's used much more for challenges - but I share them with myself, IYSWIM.

I don't think of it as code-sharing, it's code-saving. So really my answer is No I don't value code-sharing, but yes the feature is very important to me.

I think the current system is good. The UI could be improved, but only small tweaks as discussed (copy to clipboard, unambiguous font). I'm keen to keep the system the way it is.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, xanna said:

I only play custom for my main runs, and I have a text file for different codes I use for slightly different experiences. I can't remember all the decision I made, I just copy in my code and it feels right. Except that one time I accidentally did a run with timberwolves turned off and wandered around Blackrock thinking 'this is easy, what's going on? Where is everyone!'

It's true there's not a huge culture of regular players sharing their settings - that's used much more for challenges - but I share them with myself, IYSWIM.

I don't think of it as code-sharing, it's code-saving. So really my answer is No I don't value code-sharing, but yes the feature is very important to me.

I think the current system is good. The UI could be improved, but only small tweaks as discussed (copy to clipboard, unambiguous font). I'm keen to keep the system the way it is.

I'm not saying it isn't good  or  anything,just trying to think of ways to please players and make it easier for htl...    

• Upvote 1

All sides of the conversation are good... but I do also urge folks not to take the discussion personally.

Nothing is being "decided by us today." 
We're just offering our thoughts and ideas to Raph for him to consider.
Let's not back-bite on folks just trying to brainstorm ideas.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Dane_B said:

There was such a place with lots of custom codes for challenges over on Steam in "Player-Created Custom Challenges". It was deleted when the original poster JayXL was deleted.

Maybe something like that could be done here..  people could just add theirs to a specific thread just for codes.. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Maybe something like that could be done here..  people could just add theirs to a specific thread just for codes.. 

That would be good. IF they decide to retain the ability to create custom codes AND pass them on.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dane_B said:

That would be good. IF they decide to retain the ability to create custom codes AND pass them on.

Or if there was enough time to get it done before it was removed.....   

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

Or if there was enough time to get it done before it was removed.....   

I don't think that is feasible. Custom codes can change with every game update. I have a list of codes from early last year and I know that the Deadman code for one has already changed since then. The codes need to be maintained as the game evolves. Once the feature has gone there would be no way to re-generate and update the codes.

All runs are Custom nowadays.

I have used the codes to keep track of my own experiments and occassionally play around with NOGOA, etc.

I would use the feature more if there was an easy way to save and share configurations. Adding the ability to launch a game from within a saved or canned config browser would be nice.

More generally --- expose everything, plus detailed starting stats, gear and locations. The ability to configure up everything from a slow moving survival experience to a running battle where crates of ammo are scattered around, and fast predators spawn in at supernatural rates could be very interesting.

If server-side resources can be tossed at the problem... Adding a checkbox at the top of the Settings screen allowing settings telemetry would let Hinterland collate and present game configurations amoung players in a controlled manner. Open source the solution so no one needs to worry about game preservation.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JohnDoe60 said:

More generally --- expose everything, plus detailed starting stats, gear and locations. The ability to configure up everything from a slow moving survival experience to a running battle where crates of ammo are scattered around, and fast predators spawn in at supernatural rates could be very interesting.

Apart from the "supernatural" part that would be a most excellent idea. Configure everything and create a truly individual experience, until you pass it on to others.

I see the codes being shared when people do challenges.

For example the NOGOA code here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UxTONt6GvsoQIOK0sNnwbiLyRiNiCp72W-GOe77Mo0U/edit

Rock 'n' Revolver: https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/9/3200369112082477013/

image0.png?ex=669506c5&is=6693b545&hm=1bde95e145eccbd59baf8729f8f35bcab0ca6d712010d791d1df122c91806b50&

image.thumb.png.e3a095aed3d4f644cb762a86a1495c47.png

Instead of removing this, please allow to input any json with the settings, so the settings can still be shared. If you want to obscure them, just encode in base64.

Edited by RaukGorth
Replaced expired image
  • Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, RaukGorth said:

I see the codes being shared when people do challenges.

For example the NOGOA code here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UxTONt6GvsoQIOK0sNnwbiLyRiNiCp72W-GOe77Mo0U/edit

And this illustrates the problem perfectly. The code in that link for NOGOA is the one I have from May 2023. But I have since been told, over on Steam two months ago, that the code changed after the Scurvy update and should now be... 8sHM-/z8P-Dz+3-QZym-XRQC. The difference is only two letters but it makes a difference.

Edited by Dane_B
Syntax
  • Upvote 1

• Hinterland
4 hours ago, redsh said:

And please fix fishing for the custom game! After the last patch, when you create a custom game based on Interloper settings, it gives you zero fish. This is wrong, because a custom game with Interloper settings should be the same as Interloper, and Interloper gives you fish. This even affects old runs where fishing worked before. Now I cannot play my 150d+ NOGOA run because if the character gets scurvy risk, I have no practical way to fix it.

Temporary situation as we had to make room for Cougar/Scurvy settings and we were out of digits in the share code. This is part of what we are working on fixing.

• Upvote 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

I'm not saying it isn't good  or  anything,just trying to think of ways to please players and make it easier for htl...    

Oh absolutely

I’m another third-option person. 
As I’m still working on some feats, I don’t use custom yet, but I’m actively looking forward to it, especially that capacity to share codes between players - I’ve seen others do it to great effect. 

(I’m a disabled gamer, and I’m looking forward to a difficulty balance that works really well for me - I don’t have the reaction speed to survive more than a few days in Interloper - I’ve already seen and saved somewhere someone’s custom setup which sounded about right… but I’m chasing those feats first!)

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Personally I rarely use codes, but enjoy having the option to enter one for community-made challenges. Although I wouldn't care one way or the other (keep them or get rid of them for now), if I had to choose one I'd say to keep them. But again, I have maybe only used the codes once or twice ever, so if they were to temporarily leave, I would not be upset. 

As a Pilgrim player, I tried Custom once but it was better sticking to Pilgrim tbh, I got attacked by wolves every other minute.

So for the players that like custom I guess it's important but not for Pilgrim players like me :)

• Upvote 1