TALES Part Five -- Known Issues

• Hinterland

Here's a thread designed to help highlight the Known Issues with Part Five. The team is aware of these issues and is working to address them ASAP. The thread will be updated with more details as things evolve. Feel free to point people to this thread if you see them asking questions about any of these issues. Thank you!

Disabling/Enabling the Cougar and Scurvy

Currently, the only path to do this is if you LOAD an existing game. Then you will be walked through the choice to disable the Cougar and Scurvy. Then you can continue your existing game.

There is no path to do this in Custom games. We're looking into this.

There is no path to do this if you RESUME your game. We're looking into this. (UPDATE: We are investigating whether if you quit a game you RESUMED and try to LOAD it, if you then. get the questions re: Cougar, Scurvy.)

When we have fixes (in an upcoming hotfix), we'll re-enable the notification that lets people make these changes. So if you were one of the people who RESUMED a game (vs. loading it) and you missed the chance to make these changes, you will have a new opportunity to do so.

Errors with Liquid Volumes

There is a visual-only issue currently with the display of some liquid volumes. We have confirmed that this does not impact gameplay.

No Cougars Spawning in the Zone of Contamination

The Cougar is not currently spawning in the ZoC region, despite what the game and map timers might suggest.

The final Affliction of the Misery Experience mode is not applied

Players who progress far enough into a Misery Experience Survival game will not receive the final Affliction.

Players may lose control of their camera after choosing to Cheat Death

If the player dies while their camera is in animation, they will lose control of it once they respawn with the Cheat Death feature.

Players can become stuck in the final location for Tale 3

Saving the game in the final location of Tale 3, then quitting and reloading, will lock the player in that location.

Cougar attack sound effects do not play in some Regions

In a few specific Regions, the Cougar will not play sound effects when attacking the player.

The Teardrop Vista Polaroid isn't revealed on the map

Picking up the Teardrop Vista Polaroid will not automatically open the map, and no location will be revealed as with other Polaroids.

Player’s save file name is changed after Cheating Death

If you decide to Cheat Death, the in-game name of your save will be changed to a generic "Sandbox" file name.

Stuck in the Cannery after choosing to Cheat Death

Choosing to Cheat Death with the "safe but distant" option may spawn you in the Cannery, but if the door hasn't been previously unlocked, there'll be no way out.

The Cougar can attack players while they're inside a vehicle

It is possible the Cougar can attack the Survivor while they're inside a vehicle. This isn't intended.

We'll add more Known Issues as we discover them. Thanks for your patience! If you want to report bugs, the best way to do it is to log a ticket with our Support Portal.

Edited by Admin
Added additional known issues.
  • Upvote 7
  • Like 1

It's worth noting that the Cougar is capable of attacking while inside a car and I don't know if it's intentional or not based on what happened. The map timer said it would take 5 days still until it would appear, but when I got back to the transfer hub (I left to do the Tale) it was still at 5 days but also gave me a notification that the Cougar does appear now. 

What happened next was terrible. I slept ONE hour inside a car which was interrupted and threw me from the sleep blackscreen straight out of and glitched me under the car. There was no cougar, no struggle, nothing. I instantly went from sleep blackscreen to the "getting up after a struggle" animation while suddenly being outside of the car but at the same time glitches under it. 

The game did luckily spawn me back right next to it and I was able to survive with a sliver of health, but yeah. Cougar seems very buggy in terms of spawns. 

Information that may be relevant:

Difficulty: Voyageur 

Day: Around 75

Existing Save: Yes

Pre Update: Spent a lot of time solely inside the Transfer Hub. Occasionally went to Forsaken Airfield but the past 20 days were 90% inside Transfer Hub. 

Post Update: Loaded in Transfer Hub, immediately had the map telling me that Cougar takes 5 days until spawning. No other notification. Left towards the new region to do the Tale. When I got back to Transfer Hub, I got a notification for the Cougar in the middle of my screen and now also had a marker above my need bars and ominous music. Map still said 5 days. I slept one hour inside the Blue Truck which got interrupted as mentioned already. Clothing took no damage at all, I simply got the new affliction and as I said it all went all glitchy. Also worth noting: After the attack I went to Forsaken Airfield where the map marker now went from 5 days to 4 days, as well as no other markers for that region as of now. I m scared to go back to Transfer Hub after finishing the Tale tho. Waiting for a patch. 

Edited by Laika Ivanova
Typo

Not sure if my issue is intentional cause I may not have read everything.  It was my understanding you'd have a chance to regain most of your stuff regardless of where you chose to respawn after cheating death.  But the recovery campsite with your pack only appears if you chose a risky nearby respawn.  If you chose safe but far away indoors you lose pretty much everything you were carrying for good it seems cause I can't see the campsite map marker in the area where I died nor where I respawned if it was supposed to be anywhere I'd like to know before continuing on my main game cause I don't want to lose my variants or Tale rewards, don't know if that last one is included cause again I haven't tried this on my main.  If this is intentional this is pretty much as bad as actually dying lol, thanks.

Edited by rush247

The cougar timer seems to be way off, unless there is something to the mechanic I'm not understanding.  I loaded up a prior existing stalker run which was last left in Transfer Pass.  I went to the new map for 2 days, then back to Transfer Pass.  I immediately got a 3-day cougar warning.  As I understand it, the time to cougar should be based on consecutive time in a region (and for stalker should be 30 days?).  I looked back through my journal and in the last 30 days of the run I had mostly been in ZoC.  I had 3 partial days in transfer pass, and only 1 full day there.  Why did encroachment happen so soon?

So I retreated back to Broken Railroad, a region I hadn't been in at all for the prior 30 days of the run.  After 2 days there I checked my map without having had any warnings about cougar encroachment, and it said 6 days remaining.

This makes no sense.  Hopefully this is not indicative that all time in a region is cumulative and the only way to back down the encroachment time is to cause the cougar to actually enter a region and only then exit it.

Submitted as a bug report, but wanted to highlight it here as well in case anyone else is experiencing this.

I play in PlayStation 5. Today I experienced my first taste of cheat death. 
But after the cheat death respawn lighting a stove kept freezing the game. Literally a frozen screen. 

This happened two or three times during my stream and then completely crashed the game. 

Not sure if this has been reported before elsewhere. Apologies if this is the wrong thread. 

it was fine using stoves and starting fires before I cheated death. It was only after that and I was weakened that it started freezing. 

The Cougar timers are broken with existing saves as far as I can see. I have a 260 day Interloper run since part 2 of DLC which was prepped in the Transfer Pass depot ready for part 5 to drop. Been there for 5 days after returning from Airfield. I continued my save so was not presented with the option to disable, maybe that's where the issue began?

So when I first continued, the map had a Cougar arriving in 5 days. Left the next morning to Sundered Pass. After 5 days in SP got the 5 day warning on the map again. Ran out of arrows for the very first time in TLD, but then I was down to 6 + 1 arrow head when I went in and while I had everything needed to make new ones (shafts, tools, feathers) I didn't find a workbench yet so it was time to leave. I shot enough to take a brand new 100% bow down to 60% at archery 5, so with Cougar warning too it was definitely time to regroup and return later.

Upon returning to Transfer Pass I immediately got ominous music and a red cat icon bottom left of UI. Checked map and it said 3 days until Cougar arrives. Managed to make it back to depot at 40% condition but it was nerve wracking, I'm sure I heard cat noises too. Entering the depot the cat icon went away but comes back along with ominous music when I exit the building. Map still says 3 days, and since I spent 7 days out of the region I expected the timer to have been reset or at least to have gone down.

TBH I am not sure what to do now. The TP depot is my safe spot for when the new regions have taken their toll and now I am scared to leave in case I am jumped. Hopefully the team can figure out what is going wrong and patch the issue, but more imminently I'd like to know if I am in danger of scratchy death before I can recover and make some arrows? Any guidance would be gratefully received.

3 hours ago, Epichron said:

The cougar timer seems to be way off, unless there is something to the mechanic I'm not understanding.  I loaded up a prior existing stalker run which was last left in Transfer Pass.  I went to the new map for 2 days, then back to Transfer Pass.  I immediately got a 3-day cougar warning.  As I understand it, the time to cougar should be based on consecutive time in a region (and for stalker should be 30 days?).  I looked back through my journal and in the last 30 days of the run I had mostly been in ZoC.  I had 3 partial days in transfer pass, and only 1 full day there.  Why did encroachment happen so soon?

So I retreated back to Broken Railroad, a region I hadn't been in at all for the prior 30 days of the run.  After 2 days there I checked my map without having had any warnings about cougar encroachment, and it said 6 days remaining.

This makes no sense.  Hopefully this is not indicative that all time in a region is cumulative and the only way to back down the encroachment time is to cause the cougar to actually enter a region and only then exit it.

Submitted as a bug report, but wanted to highlight it here as well in case anyone else is experiencing this.

I was told the marker on the bottom left on maps shows how many days need to pass for a Cougar to LEAVE a currently infested region. It does not reflect the state of the map you are on, but the one it is in itself.

1 hour ago, Hazelnut said:

The Cougar timers are broken with existing saves as far as I can see. I have a 260 day Interloper run since part 2 of DLC which was prepped in the Transfer Pass depot ready for part 5 to drop. Been there for 5 days after returning from Airfield. I continued my save so was not presented with the option to disable, maybe that's where the issue began?

So when I first continued, the map had a Cougar arriving in 5 days. Left the next morning to Sundered Pass. After 5 days in SP got the 5 day warning on the map again. Ran out of arrows for the very first time in TLD, but then I was down to 6 + 1 arrow head when I went in and while I had everything needed to make new ones (shafts, tools, feathers) I didn't find a workbench yet so it was time to leave. I shot enough to take a brand new 100% bow down to 60% at archery 5, so with Cougar warning too it was definitely time to regroup and return later.

Upon returning to Transfer Pass I immediately got ominous music and a red cat icon bottom left of UI. Checked map and it said 3 days until Cougar arrives. Managed to make it back to depot at 40% condition but it was nerve wracking, I'm sure I heard cat noises too. Entering the depot the cat icon went away but comes back along with ominous music when I exit the building. Map still says 3 days, and since I spent 7 days out of the region I expected the timer to have been reset or at least to have gone down.

TBH I am not sure what to do now. The TP depot is my safe spot for when the new regions have taken their toll and now I am scared to leave in case I am jumped. Hopefully the team can figure out what is going wrong and patch the issue, but more imminently I'd like to know if I am in danger of scratchy death before I can recover and make some arrows? Any guidance would be gratefully received.

I'll note that it is possible to get attacked inside the vacant depot; so I'd recommend going to Zone of Contamination or Far Range Branch Line until they patch that. 

3 hours ago, Laika Ivanova said:

I was told the marker on the bottom left on maps shows how many days need to pass for a Cougar to LEAVE a currently infested region. It does not reflect the state of the map you are on, but the one it is in itself.

Clearly not, since there is no cougar in the region, and if there were that would reinforce the issue.

But the map is definitely a countdown to the cougar (maybe different if you're looking at the map for a region you're not in?).  The game said 3 days in transfer pass, and the map said 3 days also, then started counting down.

Edit: In BRR, the map does say "6 days remaining," which I guess can mean Transfer Pass cooling off even though a cougar never arrived there.  The UI could definitely use some clarification if so.

Edited by Epichron
New information

2 hours ago, Laika Ivanova said:

Okay that makes sense. So when I was in Sundered Pass it was telling me how many days the cougar would remain in TP, and when I returned it was there with 3 days before it leaves. However why did it arrive in TP when I left with 4 days before it arrived. So still broken but in a different way. I ran to the airfield and the cat icon is gone so I should be safe now, assuming I can avoid the wolves until I make some arrows at the hangar.

TBH I didn't notice the map message was different. Before SP in TP it was days until cougar arrives. When I returned it was days it will be in the region.

Omega Bunker Bug
My journal indicates I missed a few details and have additional steps to complete Part 5 but...

The hidden door only opened once. Upon reentry the panel is closed and can not be interacted with.

Edited by Dx421
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, bysinda said:

I've encountered a few minor audio bugs in Far range branch line like sound disappearing in a cave in some spots and a completely silent wolf near the waterfall

Also as I was leaving Blackrock I came across a weird purple lighting 

screen_(597, 263, -172)_a1f9c436-e615-40d7-92a8-2a3303ff4148.png

I had the sound going on and off during a blizzard..it was at the transfer pass end of the transition into sundered pass.

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2024 at 7:57 AM, rush247 said:

Not sure if my issue is intentional cause I may not have read everything.  It was my understanding you'd have a chance to regain most of your stuff regardless of where you chose to respawn after cheating death.  But the recovery campsite with your pack only appears if you chose a risky nearby respawn.  If you chose safe but far away indoors you lose pretty much everything you were carrying for good it seems cause I can't see the campsite map marker in the area where I died nor where I respawned if it was supposed to be anywhere I'd like to know before continuing on my main game cause I don't want to lose my variants or Tale rewards, don't know if that last one is included cause again I haven't tried this on my main.  If this is intentional this is pretty much as bad as actually dying lol, thanks.

Answered my own question myself just now today.  The pack does exist on either respawn choice, the only thing different is on a safe indoor respawn the map marker doesn't automatically uncover part of the map.  Meaning if you haven't fully surveyed the region (not just the area) where you died you're going to have a hard time finding it.  Discovered this by using dev console mod to fully reveal BI's map, which is where I last died.

20240626151847_1.jpg

Edited by rush247

Well, I started game 2 days ago. I always use RESUME instead of LOAD and game ask me about nothing. I'm in custom mode about 460. day in Broken Railroad. Scurvy is a thing immediately and on map I see timer for cougar arrival. During this play, I moved to Mystery Lake to cure scurvy and than moved to Bleak Inlet. 

Today I start game and even with RESUME I was questioned about cougar. I pick ON, as day 500. is not so far away and this can be something new for days 501. and further. Well, in Bleak Inlet I see again counter with 6 days, so this means 7 days in total from entrance to region?

OK, I managed what I need there and left when counter shows 1 day remaining. Forlorn Muskeg and than to Mystery Lake where I want to check how long it takes to counter shows. Well, when I'm going to bed I check map and counter is there and now it shows 0 days remaining. 

Is there any way how to turn this cats off again? I really don't want to day in my 476. day. 

Yeah and by the way - it seems that today scurvy as affiliction disappeared totaly - no one food shows vit C values...

Edited by El Carlos

Players can become stuck in the final location for Tale 3

Saving the game in the final location of Tale 3, then quitting and reloading, will lock the player in that location

This is the issue I'm having. I have 3/4 objectives in the final area and now I can't get back into the room after I left and came back, along with there was nothing else to do in there. :T

Took a bit, but I finally figured out what was going on with the cougar timer, and now it doesn't seem like a bug, but something that just wasn't explained fully.

Apparently once you get a cougar encroachment warning, the cougar's coming whether you're in the map or not.  Thus if you exit the map before that happens, it still shows up and you get the time remaining message on your map, which can happen days after.  E.g., I enter transfer pass and get a 5-day warning, then exit the next day, then 4 days later in whatever map I'm in, the days remaining message shows up because the cougar got to TP and is now there for the next however many days. (Confirmed this by dipping a toe in TP while the days remaining message was active.)

I do still always get a 5-day warning immediately on entering Transfer Pass.  So maybe that's intentional.  Can't cool your heels there for long, and you're locked into far territories for 10 days or so if you go that way, unless you want to risk the jump on the way out.

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2024 at 3:21 PM, rush247 said:

Answered my own question myself just now today.  The pack does exist on either respawn choice, the only thing different is on a safe indoor respawn the map marker doesn't automatically uncover part of the map.  Meaning if you haven't fully surveyed the region (not just the area) where you died you're going to have a hard time finding it.  Discovered this by using dev console mod to fully reveal BI's map, which is where I last died.

20240626151847_1.jpg

Sorry for the multiple postings about this but I finally figured this out fully.  The problem is that the pack doesn't actually spawn until you've returned to the area.  I didn't know this until now because before in the post quoted above it's just me going to the area, revealing the map and then looking for the marker.  Not looking for the marker upon returning to the area.  If this is working as intended then again sorry for the multiple postings, just thought maybe others would want to know why this happens as well as possibly make you aware of something that may need work.  If you already knew, cool.

Edited by rush247

1 hour ago, Epichron said:

Took a bit, but I finally figured out what was going on with the cougar timer, and now it doesn't seem like a bug, but something that just wasn't explained fully.

Apparently once you get a cougar encroachment warning, the cougar's coming whether you're in the map or not.  Thus if you exit the map before that happens, it still shows up and you get the time remaining message on your map, which can happen days after.  E.g., I enter transfer pass and get a 5-day warning, then exit the next day, then 4 days later in whatever map I'm in, the days remaining message shows up because the cougar got to TP and is now there for the next however many days. (Confirmed this by dipping a toe in TP while the days remaining message was active.)

I do still always get a 5-day warning immediately on entering Transfer Pass.  So maybe that's intentional.  Can't cool your heels there for long, and you're locked into far territories for 10 days or so if you go that way, unless you want to risk the jump on the way out.

Thanks for this and I agree. I was worried as I have a '4 days remaining' on my map whilst in BR even though I've only been in the region 2 days. I previously spent a long time in ML so I think the cougar is either there or about to appear in ML. I guess you could use this tactic to 'lure' the cougar to a zone you don't want to be in for a while and this will then give you extra time in another region? It would be nice if it said '5 days remaining Mystery Lake' or something like that. I can see why folks are a little confused by it. Will see what happens!

39 minutes ago, snowmeow said:

Thanks for this and I agree. I was worried as I have a '4 days remaining' on my map whilst in BR even though I've only been in the region 2 days. I previously spent a long time in ML so I think the cougar is either there or about to appear in ML. I guess you could use this tactic to 'lure' the cougar to a zone you don't want to be in for a while and this will then give you extra time in another region? It would be nice if it said '5 days remaining Mystery Lake' or something like that. I can see why folks are a little confused by it. Will see what happens!

I think the time it takes the cougar to leave a region is usually going to be shorter than the time it takes to show up in a new one (except maybe Transfer Pass, apparently), so it would be gone from a "lure" zone before it would have shown up on another map anyway, I think.