Before the end of TLD I’d like….

Semple Fi

Posted (edited)

PLEASE GET THIS SUGGESTION SOME TRACTION!

So after the previous Dev updates I’ve gotten the impression that after this paid DLC comes to a close, the team will be pursuing other projects, specifically a new game that may be a “spinoff” of TLD.  

If support is going to end, and if there will be no new paid DLC, I hope that they’ll implement the ability to craft a crude rifle.  

Specifically because of interloper, even if the purists aren’t keen on it.  It finally gives a use to the gun smithing and rifle research books in interloper.  It adds to the use of the milling machine and ammo bench in interloper as well.  
This addition would round out the existing mechanics and still be in harmony with the game setting and lore.  
More along the lines of a black powder musket. 
image.thumb.jpeg.7e5b02791112888c26c6c7a20c8dd9d6.jpeg

Edited by Semple Fi
Autocorrect is my nemesis
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

as someone who has owned lots and lots of guns and tinkered and modified them... gunsmithing in of itself would be a massive undertaking... not a skill you just "pick up"

• Upvote 2

• Hinterland

I've always liked the idea of black powder and there's something about the overall aesthetic and vibe that would suit the game. That said, I'm not sure making a rifle and crafting all the necessary components and then ammo would be more or less complex than crafting modern ammo, which you can already do in the game? I suspect it would make more sense to find an old black powder rifle in a museum or the Hunting Lodge or something like that, as an ornate decoration that you put to work for you.

Apart from the aesthetics of it, would it make more sense to use this than to find and use a modern Rifle?

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

I've always liked the idea of black powder and there's something about the overall aesthetic and vibe that would suit the game. That said, I'm not sure making a rifle and crafting all the necessary components and then ammo would be more or less complex than crafting modern ammo, which you can already do in the game? I suspect it would make more sense to find an old black powder rifle in a museum or the Hunting Lodge or something like that, as an ornate decoration that you put to work for you.

Apart from the aesthetics of it, would it make more sense to use this than to find and use a modern Rifle?

I intended this suggestion to apply to interloper, given that no firearms exist in harmony with the difficulty.  

Rather than adjust that in custom settings, which then nullify the feats/achievements, my suggestion is to add it in, in a way that harmonizes with the intent of interloper. 

It also makes use of the crafting tools and research books that would normally be useless in interloper for anything other than a fire kindling. 
 If your suggestion meant that we could cannibalize and convert an existing rifle into a black powder version for interloper, that would also fit well.

I really appreciate you throwing your input directly in to this discussion!

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Pyroxene said:

What is a crude rifle? Is it some sort of 18th century weapon?

Essentially yes.  Think of Vaughns rifle but converted to black powder and musket balls.  
“Homemade” is another good descriptor.  
Interloper only, because you “craft everything”.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Cr41g said:

as someone who has owned lots and lots of guns and tinkered and modified them... gunsmithing in of itself would be a massive undertaking... not a skill you just "pick up"

I don’t disagree, however the mechanics of the game Account for that. Or can be made to account for it.  
We already start our ammo crafting with the chances of a misfire.  Apply that same chance to a the homemade rifle based on gunsmithing ability.  

I think it's a great idea, but it comes down to whether or not it would be worth crafting. A bow is relatively easy to craft, and at the higher skill levels, is efficient and powerful. The musket would need to be stronger than the bow, but shouldn't be as strong as a rifle. It also would need to be worth the crafting time and materials.

I personally think it would fit perfectly in Interloper, simply because the whole point of Interloper is that you have to craft everything you need (it wouldn't be the only gun in Interloper anyways; you have the flare gun already). But the only problem is that the bow is already a great weapon and is easy to craft. If the musket can't beat the bow in terms of crafting time and hunting efficiency, then some players may never go through the trouble of crafting one. 

Don't get me wrong; I love the idea and think it would be great. But how will it be balanced is my question. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Pencil said:

I think it's a great idea, but it comes down to whether or not it would be worth crafting. A bow is relatively easy to craft, and at the higher skill levels, is efficient and powerful. The musket would need to be stronger than the bow, but shouldn't be as strong as a rifle. It also would need to be worth the crafting time and materials.

I personally think it would fit perfectly in Interloper, simply because the whole point of Interloper is that you have to craft everything you need (it wouldn't be the only gun in Interloper anyways; you have the flare gun already). But the only problem is that the bow is already a great weapon and is easy to craft. If the musket can't beat the bow in terms of crafting time and hunting efficiency, then some players may never go through the trouble of crafting one. 

Don't get me wrong; I love the idea and think it would be great. But how will it be balanced is my question. 

Yes we already have the flare gun, but the same argument could be said of any of the rifle or revolver variations. Some players enjoy collecting. To think: Could you complete all tales, reach every map, craft every item including the muzzle loader, on misery mode?

Could there be an added achievement or feat for doing so?

To answer your balance question: Yes the effort will be well worth it in relation to hunting bear or moose, possibly the cougar.  Reloading will obviously take WAY more time than just nothing another arrow.  
Here are some stats to consider:IMG_3582.thumb.jpeg.90d660ed0844bd4953dd33789e410ae9.jpegIMG_3583.jpeg.76c1b7915e11e883851350bc3bd77567.jpegIMG_3584.jpeg.8fe03ed9348f14df57fbc6f16a89cfba.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The lethal range for a musket is far higher than usually assumed. 300 meters seems more correct. The issue was more about seeing your target and hitting it, which is relevant for hunting (rather than firing at an enemy line formation). Battles would often start at pretty long ranges and then close. But this common idea that battles were always fought at 50-100 meters is wrong. 50 meters or lower would be the last volley before a bayonet charge.

Also, technically this wouldn't be a "rifle", though that is often used synonymous with "gun" these days.

Edited by Serenity

• Hinterland
1 hour ago, Serenity said:

Also, technically this wouldn't be a "rifle", though that is often used synonymous with "gun" these days.

I'm not a firearms expert. Is this because a musket like this would be considered "smoothbore" vs. a modern rifle that would have "rifling" inside the barrel?

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Serenity said:

The lethal range for a musket is far higher than usually assumed. 300 meters seems more correct. The issue was more about seeing your target and hitting it, which is relevant for hunting (rather than firing at an enemy line formation). Battles would often start at pretty long ranges and then close. But this common idea that battles were always fought at 50-100 meters is wrong. 50 meters or lower would be the last volley before a bayonet charge.

Do you like the idea then? As long as we call it a Musket? 😉

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

You know, I have anther idea. At the begaining of the game, there are only two person we can choose to survive, Male and Famle.I think adding different characters from Wintermute into the game for us to choose from would be great. Like, we have hunter Jeremiah and Moorey(It's that name correct?) and the criminal Matisse. I know it's a big project. You need to make other hands and recording their voices. But I think it well giving players some new experiences. We can use other person, not only Mackenzie and Astrid. At the same time, add different knowledge for those people. Like Jeremiah is good at using gun and archery, Astrid is good at using medical things. Just a discussion

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, TWMountain said:

You know, I have anther idea. At the begaining of the game, there are only two person we can choose to survive, Male and Famle.I think adding different characters from Wintermute into the game for us to choose from would be great. Like, we have hunter Jeremiah and Moorey(It's that name correct?) and the criminal Matisse. I know it's a big project. You need to make other hands and recording their voices. But I think it well giving players some new experiences. We can use other person, not only Mackenzie and Astrid. At the same time, add different knowledge for those people. Like Jeremiah is good at using gun and archery, Astrid is good at using medical things. Just a discussion

Cool idea

I’d start it in a new thread under wish list. So it doesn’t get buried in a different suggestion 👍🏼

• Upvote 2

While I think this would be cool, I believe there are sooo many other things HL studio could do which would have more "bang for the buck".  Then again, we do have the variants, but those are (I'm guessing) really just reskins (with some small modifications) of the existing rifle.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

While I think this would be cool, I believe there are sooo many other things HL studio could do which would have more "bang for the buck".  Then again, we do have the variants, but those are (I'm guessing) really just reskins (with some small modifications) of the existing rifle.

Bang for the Buck 

Nice pun! 😂

Bang for the Bear!

Mostly what a I read was “this would be cool” and I blocked out the rest 🤣

@Leeanda You could moderate my comment 😳😂😉 No more suggestion of the end of TLD! LOL

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Semple Fi said:

Bang for the Buck 

Nice pun! 😂

Bang for the Bear!

Mostly what a I read was “this would be cool” and I blocked out the rest 🤣

@Leeanda You could moderate my comment 😳😂😉 No more suggestion of the end of TLD! LOL

Lol...    No, you're all good.... Just don't do it again😁

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 10:34 AM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Can you please confirm or deny if there will be future seasons beyond Wintermute or more dlcs beyond Tales I had gotten that impression from previous diaries, not that I’m not looking forward to the studios other projects just long to know if the spike in development with Everything Tales has brought from core mechanics changes to the plethora of fantastic new mechanics like the fishing and cooking overhauls is it leading us into a new era or sending us out with a bang?