Thoughts on the Travois

I finally created one on a new run.  Used it to haul all the loot from TWM Mountaineer's Hut (after I had looted all the cargo containers) to PV.  Working great! 

I can see them as a "portable collection device".  I centrally locate it in an area I need to loot and make excursions, returning each time to load it up.  When near full, I haul it to a "hub" such as Farmstead or TC.  I'm glad they put in extra saplings - I can see me having these scattered everywhere!

• Upvote 1

I find the travois sufficiently functional to be worth having and using even given its operational quirks and limitations. 

Like how, at the approach to the radio tower and transmitter that space is too narrow for the travois. 🚧  

I did think I should have been able to get closer but Grey Mother's House was not far away.  

At 1 kg it is light enough that I carry it packed into inventory for use as needed.  

20240108175106_1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Definitely need to plan out routes and be prepared for a stuck situation.

In Bleak Inlet, I "travoised" a LOT of stuff from the Cannery Houses, picked up several things that I had fixed on the milling machine, went behind the Washed Out Trailers and then onto the Frozen Delta. Tested the ice creek areas before proceeding but managed to get all the way to the cave leading into Forlorn Muskeg. Had to ferry stuff inside the cave (no travois set-up allowed) & that took 3 trips back & forth.  Then loaded up in Forlorn and made it almost to the Poacher's Camp Train Car when I went thru' the ice (thankfully not with the loaded travois). I thought I had the safe route mapped in my head, but ooops! I was able to warm up & rest, and then did some ferrying instead of risking losing it all. Went back and figured out where I went wrong, but it was still tricky. The Muskeg does NOT like me... and vice-versa

Finally got all the stuff to Trapper's Homestead (did not get stuck in the train tunnel this time) and unloaded it all. Why I need 6 hatchets, 7 knives, 3 revolvers & ammo, 2 lanterns, bow/arrows, plus a flare gun & 2 skillets I know not ... I'm a pack rat. (in real life too).

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, twyn1 said:

when I went thru' the ice (thankfully not with the loaded travois).

Has anyone broke through ice while pulling the travois?  Do you drop it where you fell in the ice?  I certainly hope not - would likely be irretrievable.

• Upvote 1

I think all would be lost if you went thru the ice with the travois. If it ended up on top of a solid area, maybe you could get back to it and unload without falling thru again, if very careful & lucky?

• Upvote 1

My thoughts on the travois are simple it is awesome and the reason is simple much better packing your meat back to base. My long run interloper survivor just returned back to camp office and used up my deer hides to patch my clothes after being in ZOC anyway the long story short 3 deer spawn in the meadow near the office drove 2 of them into a wolf so got 2 double kills and then shot the last one. So 3 deer and 2 wolves and then my snares were still there so packed also some rabbits back to my doorstep. Have so much food I could go 40 days almost now when you count the big pile of meat already there. 

• Upvote 1

I finally decided to craft the travois and it's been priceless so far. I killed a moose up by the cabin in Broken Railroad and came back the next morning to pick up the whole moose in one shot. 

In mystery lake I went to go check up on a few tip ups, and after killing a wolf and scaring 2 deer into more wolves, I was able to carry the fish, the 2 deer, and the wolf back to the cabin in 1 trip. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Good to know.  I'll still be careful.  You cannot run with a travois nor turn sharply however you could back up (if you're fast but maybe not fast enough) so not being able to walk onto weak ice would be helpful.  I can imagine how much it would hurt to have a fully laden travois just disappear into the ocean or lake even if you survived the swim.  

• 1 month later...

I recently had a glitch with the travois condition.  I carry it around then had deployed it at the Thomson Crossing Community Hall, loaded it up, then dragged it all the way to the Farmstead.  It had been about 99% when deployed and was about 82% when I got to the Farmstead.  Unloaded it then put it into inventory.  Next time I looked at it, a while later, its the condition was 2% !  No problem repairing it so I got it back to 72% but that was close.  I did report this.  It might have been the condition loss bug that seems to crop up, unexpectedly, every now and then.