Fishing in Mountain Town

UpUpAway95

I'm having trouble finding any place to fish in or around Milton.  The wiki mentions two small ponds south of MacKenzie's crashed plane, but I've thoroughly walked the two ponds along the route one takes between the crash and the town trying to place a fishing hole without any luck.  Are these the two ponds being mentioned in the Wiki or are there two other ponds that I'm not aware of somewhere in the area?  I've also tried on the pond across of the cave that leads to HRV and the pond behind the church.

I've done a fair bit of fishing down in the basin since the fishing overhaul, but I haven't found anywhere else in the Milton area that'll let you pop a fishing hole in the ice. Not the two small ponds between the crash and Milton or the one near the HRV cave, not the main stretch of the river, or the course under the troll's bear's bridge. Seems like you need pretty big bodies of water to start fishing - lakes rather than ponds, and of course along the coast. Smaller bodies could arguably just be frozen solid tho, but it does kinda irk a little that I haven't been able to find anywhere to drop a hole on the Muskeg yet, and we all know - all too bloody well! - that's just thin ice over freezing cold water. 😜

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, artmunki said:

I've done a fair bit of fishing down in the basin since the fishing overhaul, but I haven't found anywhere else in the Milton area that'll let you pop a fishing hole in the ice. Not the two small ponds between the crash and Milton or the one near the HRV cave, not the main stretch of the river, or the course under the troll's bear's bridge. Seems like you need pretty big bodies of water to start fishing - lakes rather than ponds, and of course along the coast. Smaller bodies could arguably just be frozen solid tho, but it does kinda irk a little that I haven't been able to find anywhere to drop a hole on the Muskeg yet, and we all know - all too bloody well! - that's just thin ice over freezing cold water. 😜

Thanks.  I wonder where the information in the Wiki is coming from then.  It seems like this verifies that the info in Milton is wrong and, although I haven't tried myself yet, that the info on Forlorn Muskeg is also wrong (since the Wiki says that "the entire marsh" is available for fishing).

Edited by UpUpAway95

1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Thanks.  I wonder where the information in the Wiki is coming from then.  It seems like this verifies that the info in Milton is wrong and, although I haven't tried myself yet, that the info on Forlorn Muskeg is also wrong (since the Wiki says that "the entire marsh" is available for fishing).

It's entirely possible that there's a specific spot on some smaller ponds where you can pop a hole through, and my cursory checks while I was in the area just didn't find the exact right place, but the "frozen solid" idea works well for my own headcanon so I mostly just stick to trying larger bodies of water now. Near the cave in Milton Basin has become my favourite fishing spot now, with only a coupla wolves to worry about and the cave to nip back to if the weather gets bad - it's where I finished maxing my fishing skill in my last playthrough, and in my current game the moose spawn is elsewhere, so fishing has given me a reliable source of food for that part of the region. I also like dropping a hole near the Ryken too, since there's no huts in DP, but only after I've already taken out the bear.  ^__^

2 hours ago, artmunki said:

It's entirely possible that there's a specific spot on some smaller ponds where you can pop a hole through, and my cursory checks while I was in the area just didn't find the exact right place, but the "frozen solid" idea works well for my own headcanon so I mostly just stick to trying larger bodies of water now. Near the cave in Milton Basin has become my favourite fishing spot now, with only a coupla wolves to worry about and the cave to nip back to if the weather gets bad - it's where I finished maxing my fishing skill in my last playthrough, and in my current game the moose spawn is elsewhere, so fishing has given me a reliable source of food for that part of the region. I also like dropping a hole near the Ryken too, since there's no huts in DP, but only after I've already taken out the bear.  ^__^

I've also found several spots in the Milton Basin, but not anywhere above the rope.  Since the Wiki mentioned the ponds, I was pretty thorough checking out the two ponds on the way to crash site.  I honestly don't know for sure if they are south of the plane crash ( I have difficulty orienting compass directions because the maps are skewed relative to the main map); but they are the only two ponds I know of that could be considered close to the plane crash.  I rewalked all over them in my Pilgrim file trying to drop a hole almost with every step and never even came up with a "red" image that would have told me I was at least getting close.  All I ever got was the text message about needing the right sort of ice. 

If the info in the Wiki is corrent, then I suppose it could be a bug preventing fishing in some of the noted spots.

29 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I've also found several spots in the Milton Basin, but not anywhere above the rope.  Since the Wiki mentioned the ponds, I was pretty thorough checking out the two ponds on the way to crash site.  I honestly don't know for sure if they are south of the plane crash ( I have difficulty orienting compass directions because the maps are skewed relative to the main map); but they are the only two ponds I know of that could be considered close to the plane crash.  I rewalked all over them in my Pilgrim file trying to drop a hole almost with every step and never even came up with a "red" image that would have told me I was at least getting close.  All I ever got was the text message about needing the right sort of ice. 

If the info in the Wiki is corrent, then I suppose it could be a bug preventing fishing in some of the noted spots.

I've just had a look at the wiki, and there's a bunch of locations listed all over the map that I'm not really too sure about, and a few I'm fairly sure don't actually allow a fishing hole. I've never found anywhere on any river I could fish (other than the fishing hut in AC I guess), nor have I found anywhere on the Muskeg yet. To be fair tho, I haven't really made that much of a point of checking around, so maybe I can make that my mission for next week - see how many extra fishing spots I can find on Great Bear. I do suspect that there may have been an element of guesswork in some of the wiki entries, but I'll just have to find out for myself.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, artmunki said:

I've just had a look at the wiki, and there's a bunch of locations listed all over the map that I'm not really too sure about, and a few I'm fairly sure don't actually allow a fishing hole. I've never found anywhere on any river I could fish (other than the fishing hut in AC I guess), nor have I found anywhere on the Muskeg yet. To be fair tho, I haven't really made that much of a point of checking around, so maybe I can make that my mission for next week - see how many extra fishing spots I can find on Great Bear. I do suspect that there may have been an element of guesswork in some of the wiki entries, but I'll just have to find out for myself.

Thank you for undertaking an investigation.  That's sort of my plan as well, but I play very slowly in general so it's going to be slow going for me to double-check the Wiki.  I wish I knew if the info came from someone within HL - just in case it is a bug preventing the listed spots from activating.

10 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Thank you for undertaking an investigation.  That's sort of my plan as well, but I play very slowly in general so it's going to be slow going for me to double-check the Wiki.  I wish I knew if the info came from someone within HL - just in case it is a bug preventing the listed spots from activating.

I think fandom is created by a player... I can say though that I have something incorrect in there as well,in my opinion anyway.. but that relates to one of the settings..

I have also tried the ponds and river in mountain town with no luck. ..not including the basin though because it's too exposed for me to want to try it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I've started looking in Ash Canyon (I was in the area), and so far it's looking like the wiki might just be a general indication of where to try for fishing spots. By that I mean that the river in AC is mostly off limits for fishing, but there are a few broader spots where you can actually sink a hole (including around Bitter Marsh, as listed in the wiki), so it's maybe just a bit more specific than the wiki indicates. I'm heading back towards TWM now (where I already know the wiki is accurate), so let's see what else I can find.

UPDATE: Seems I mis-remembered. I was sure I could recall finding fishing to be available at Eric's Falls in TWM, but I just dropped by on my way back down the mountain, and couldn't find a spot. And I tried all over that stretch of river, tedious as that is, so I guess that's my first confirmation of wrong (or maybe just out of date) info in the wiki.

Edited by artmunki

Don't know about wiki locations but in Pleasant Valley I did survey out possible New Fishing locations and found them mostly at the junctions of the main river and tributary streams and a couple spots along the river towards the Keeper's Pass transition.  Then those spots became inoperative - they show up as suitable ice but always red - presumably after one of the updates.  

So it seems entirely possible that there were fishing locations near Milton but that they were updated out of existence.  

I think that the devs need to rethink the concept of "suitable ice".  If the ice is suitable then we should be able to chop a hole and fish.  The color of the indicator should tell us how well the fishing is likely to go.  Red means bad, green means good. 

There can be many reasons why ice is suitable/not suitable so just make it yes you can or no you can't.  How well the fishing goes would be a separate matter.  The  presence of suitable ice with nowhere to chop a hole and drop a line is frustrating and defeats the purpose of New Fishing. 

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

Don't know about wiki locations but in Pleasant Valley I did survey out possible New Fishing locations and found them mostly at the junctions of the main river and tributary streams and a couple spots along the river towards the Keeper's Pass transition.  Then those spots became inoperative - they show up as suitable ice but always red - presumably after one of the updates.  

So it seems entirely possible that there were fishing locations near Milton but that they were updated out of existence.  

I think that the devs need to rethink the concept of "suitable ice".  If the ice is suitable then we should be able to chop a hole and fish.  The color of the indicator should tell us how well the fishing is likely to go.  Red means bad, green means good. 

There can be many reasons why ice is suitable/not suitable so just make it yes you can or no you can't.  How well the fishing goes would be a separate matter.  The  presence of suitable ice with nowhere to chop a hole and drop a line is frustrating and defeats the purpose of New Fishing. 

I wish they would make it more like campfires - red if you can't and green if you can - and do away with the text about "suitable ice."  I don't know how it works on PC, but you have to keep reselecting the entire thing from the wheel each time you want to try a new spot adjacent to a spot where you've received the "suitable ice" blurb (which doesn't appear until you release the click to begin with).  Why can we can walk along with the selection made (pointing at the ice in front of us and have it show a red indicator if one can't place a hole there and a green one if one can?  It would save a lot of annoying "re-selections" being necessary considering that we don't know (even when consulting the Wiki) whether or not a particular body of water has any suitable ice anywhere on it or just a little bit here and there.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, looks like there may be some issues in PV at least. I've found a few places along the river where the radial option for fishing is active and I can get the little hole-placement reticle up, but there doesn't actually seem to be anywhere I can actually drop a hole yet. Part of me is wondering if it's because I don't have a hatchet, prybar or hammer on me atm, but I do have a knife which should technically do the job (not that I'm actually gonna waste a knife's condition doing that), so by the game system as I understand it, I should be able to knock a hole in the ice. I'll keep looking tho, and maybe see if I've left a heavier tool anywhere nearby so I can test that theory.

UPDATE: found a hatchet I'd stashed nearby, but it didn't make any difference on the ice. Something's fishy on the PV river, and it ain't fish!

Edited by artmunki

• 2 months later...

Not in Milton/Mountain Town, but in Hushed River Valley I found that Monolith Lake has suitable ice and much of it GREEN.  

Now if only I could build a tiny log cabin to stay in while hunting and fishing.  If it had a small stove to cook and keep warm and dry that would work pretty well.  

On 1/21/2024 at 6:34 PM, UTC-10 said:

Not in Milton/Mountain Town, but in Hushed River Valley I found that Monolith Lake has suitable ice and much of it GREEN.  

Now if only I could build a tiny log cabin to stay in while hunting and fishing.  If it had a small stove to cook and keep warm and dry that would work pretty well.  

Thanks for the news about fishing at Monolith Lake.  It means a source of lamp oil as the nearest fishing hut would be at Mystery Lake. 

On 1/21/2024 at 4:34 PM, UTC-10 said:

Wouldn't that be a great enhancement?!

Hushed River does not seem to have any fishing spots along its length.  From Offset falls to the Landslide.  With all the falls feeding into Hushed River and the only apparent outlet being at the Landslide, there should have been at least one stretch of fishable river, shouldn't there? The Landslide must pass water like a sieve for it would be a natural location for a small lake to form or for the river to backup a distance.    

I plan to fish Monolith lake for a while.  The only place to get lamp oil.  

Fished at Monolith Lake.  Based out of the Lake Cave.  Suitable ice is pretty nearby to Lake Cave so even if a howling blizzard (that irritatingly usually last only an hour or two) catches you and you run for cover it is not far away.  You can catch the usual assortment of small-mouth bass and whitefish plus the burdot, etc.  I play Pilgrim so there is that but around Monolith Lake I have not seen predators (I found a couple of ravaged wolf carcasses).  There are rabbits, ptarmigans, and deer.  Coal spawns in most of the caves up there.  

I am so glad that the devs went back to % of weight depending on fish type for lamp oil instead of the fixed amount depending on fish type.  

On 11/17/2023 at 5:53 PM, artmunki said:

but the "frozen solid" idea works well for my own headcanon

Not really. Ponds that are deeper than 3 feet don't freeze solid. Water is the heaviest at 4C, so 4C water sinks to the bottom, and doesn't freeze.

Most ponds in TLD seem to be deeper than 3 feet, and therefore, should not freeze solid.

-t

The new pro-move is fishing out of a snow shelter. Even in late-game interloper, you can basically fish all day and most night w/o the need for a fire.

I have done it in ZOC and BR. Tried it in Mystery Lake, but haven't found a spot that works. Will try other regions.

I suspect that it's possible in larger bodies of water that do NOT have fishing huts.

-t