Ptarmigans swimming in the snow

xanna

These ptarmigans in Blackrock are having a relaxing bathe in the snow:

[no sound]

I saw other ptarmigan clipping beneath the snow at a different nest in Blacrock too, and I confirm that if you shoot one beneath the snow, the carcass and arrow will jump up and sit properly on top of the snow so they are not lost.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I've seen several animals moving through the snow rather than on top of it.  Perhaps HL is working on introducing the idea that the snow layer has depth and eventually may create scenarios where we don't just walk on the topmost layer, but rather can break through that layer and have to "struggle" to get back on top again.  These would be more realistic and would, perhaps, pave the way for snowshoes being introduced (and their being necessary to use).

• Upvote 3

I began noticing this with rabbits after the QOL update. 
I shot several flocks of ptarmigans last night and also noticed this behavior.  I'm guessing this is not intentional.  After all, why would they "pop-up" after shooting them?

Ptarmigans are light enough to be able to walk atop the snow crust - unless of course there has recently been a fresh layer of powder deposited.

That one guy is up to his neck! 😄

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1

I thought they are hiding in the snow on purpose. It would be in line with their other behavior, that they are actively hiding from you: looking for some grass or other thing and run behind, so that you do not see them. I found this a really lovely nuance implemented by HL.
Also, I think they are "jumping up" above the snow when dying to help us find them - similarly as arrows sometimes are floating now above the carcass of larger game.
I believe this was introduced as a response to the many complaints about irretrievable arrows in the earlier versions.
Ptarmigans are my new favorite game in the game:)

Ps.: @Leeanda: I've tried the big rifle at gunpoint, and they did die. Have not tried the revolver. usually use the bunny arrows, those are best.

Edited by AdamvR

5 minutes ago, AdamvR said:

I thought they are hiding in the snow on purpose. It would be in line with their other behavior, that they are actively hiding from you: looking for some grass or other thing and run behind, so that you do not see them. I found this a really lovely nuance implemented by HL.
Also, I think they are "jumping up" above the snow when dying to help us find them - similarly as arrows sometimes are floating now above the carcass of larger game.
I believe this was introduced as a response to the many complaints about irretrievable arrows in the earlier versions.
Ptarmigans are my new favorite game in the game:)

Ps.: @Leeanda: I've tried the big rifle at gunpoint, and they did die. Have not tried the revolver. usually use the bunny arrows, those are best.

Really?  My last two side runs I've shot them point blank in the chest with both guns multiple times and they've all done nothing..except scare them away.. the fha worked fine.

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Really?  My last two side runs I've shot them point blank in the chest with both guns multiple times and they've all done nothing..except scare them away.. the fha worked fine.

Yep. could not record it, sorry.
I've been using the 3kg version of the rifle, it was a solo Ptarmigan (or the others I've scared away;-) in TWM, opposite the hut by the lake, on the small ridge (leading to the Engine) above the Oak Trees.

6 minutes ago, AdamvR said:

Yep. could not record it, sorry.
I've been using the 3kg version of the rifle, it was a solo Ptarmigan (or the others I've scared away;-) in TWM, opposite the hut by the lake, on the small ridge (leading to the Engine) above the Oak Trees.

No worries.. but thank you...   I do have a few odd bugs since the last update though..custom seems to have a few.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I've seen several animals moving through the snow rather than on top of it.  Perhaps HL is working on introducing the idea that the snow layer has depth and eventually may create scenarios where we don't just walk on the topmost layer, but rather can break through that layer and have to "struggle" to get back on top again.  These would be more realistic and would, perhaps, pave the way for snowshoes being introduced (and their being necessary to use).

While I do love the idea of snow depth becoming a thing in the game, and I too have seen ptarmigan, rabbits, deer and wolves clipping into the snow layer (don't think I've seen bears or moose do it yet), I've also seen several rabbits, deer and even one or two wolves clip up to a few feet above the snow lately too in various regions around the island - just cavorting along quite happily in the air as if it was perfectly normal - so I don't think for one second that it's intentional. I kinda suspect it might be a little artefact of whatever they're tweaking behind the scenes to prepare for the upcoming wildlife refresh, but obviously that's just a guess on my part.

I've seem timber wolves do it, but they also had been lagging out a little for me a while ago.  There was one I shot and it litterally just sunk into the snow, irretrevable except the arrow.  Went back on my save and tried again, it worked that time.

Also I really do like @UpUpAway95's idea.  I've thought about the same thing.  Maybe increased snow depth in canyons and the base of mountains?

Edited by Third Try

13 hours ago, Third Try said:

There was one I shot and it litterally just sunk into the snow, irretrevable except the arrow.

That I had too, it was a regular wolf in (u)PV. It died on a slope, so I attributed it to that, but could be a general error. That is I believe different from the ptarmigans hiding in the snow, which I think is deliberate. [It seems consistent in every area where I see these guys, it makes sense to me, and I just cannot imagine that during the 100s of hours of the development and addition of them to the game nobody had asked themselves: "Hm..., shouldn't these guys be walking on top of the snow, instead of just a bit under it, so that only their heads stick out when they sit down?"]

see also:
image.thumb.png.f2689fc688a9a83dd905e60aceca4f21.png

image.thumb.png.909756562fcc630b774bbd891582a667.png

image.png.8267bc62b5597fe3693e391527433df7.png

image.png.b1eb7fc5c2e41fa9f08dee60a1354359.png

image.thumb.png.addf90d259eca58bd0712d1594418886.png

they are actively hiding in the snow, on purpose, and HTL did a great job in adapting that IRL behavior to the game.
source.: googling ptarmigan in snow

They make little holes to hide inside, this is what remains after they leave:
image.thumb.png.130b803a13af1cebeea8266f05cd5ad0.png

Edited by AdamvR
added pictures
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AdamvR said:

they are actively hiding in the snow, on purpose, and HTL did a great job in adapting that IRL behavior to the game.
source.: googling ptarmigan in snow

The gameplay clip showed them moving (quickly!) through the snow.  I still don't think this was intentional on HL's part.

Great pics, btw - they are cute little things!

• Like 1

They are hard to see and shoot at, that goes in pair with being inside the snow, even when moving around.
To me, the alternative of the current one by adding a dig in/jump out animation would feel more weird; but it might just be me.
They primarily come out of the snow, when startled, run to take up speed and fly away. To me the devs having created a separate collision layer for the birdies; carefully adjusted to be just under the top layer to make the ptarmigans' heads stick out sounds like an effort taken with a purpose, rather than by accident. Also, they only did this on those (fixed) locations where they can be encountered, unlike other animals which can be met anywhere (or chased/lured to anywhere).
We could only test the hypothesis though, with matching videos of birdies and other animals walking on the same spot.

We do not have to agree, I feel I must point that out for the sake of peace:) So it is ok if you see it differently.

Edited by AdamvR

I have enough trouble seeing them on top of the snow..  I was near the signal hill rope climb earlier..I could hear them very loudly but saw absolutely zilch until I gave up,stood up ..and only then did I see one and that was because it was running and taking off..

I know my eyesight isn't the best but I was right Infront of the screen and crouched down for ages trying to see something..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AdamvR said:

We do not have to agree, I feel I must point that out for the sake of peace:) So it is ok if you see it differently.

This isn't war and I'm not upset...hope you aren't.  I see different people giving their different perspectives.  Isn't that one of the purposes of this forum, is to discuss? 

Some of the reasons I think it's not an intentional change on HL's part, is because:  1) It hasn't been this way in the past, 2) There were no update notes, and 3) it's not consistent across other animals and landscapes.

Only time will tell if it was intentional or not on HL's part.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I have enough trouble seeing them on top of the snow..  I was near the signal hill rope climb earlier..I could hear them very loudly but saw absolutely zilch until I gave up,stood up ..and only then did I see one and that was because it was running and taking off..

I know my eyesight isn't the best but I was right Infront of the screen and crouched down for ages trying to see something..

Yup, would certainly make hunting them more of a challenge!

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

This isn't war and I'm not upset...hope you aren't.  I see different people giving their different perspectives. 

Happy to hear, I'm here for the same :) 
(some discussions I have seen to have "escalated quickly" - and wanted to avoid that)

58 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I'm sorry for that, yes, they are really difficult to spot...
I myself have the same, often just hearing them and looking frantically around, where to find them..

52 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

3) it's not consistent across other animals and landscapes.

It is funny we draw opposite conclusions from the same experience:) 

1 hour ago, AdamvR said:

We could only test the hypothesis though, with matching videos of birdies and other animals walking on the same spot.

I've tried testing it, but could only make pictures and cannot do much more now - maybe later.
Also, the findings are inconclusive, as on the below location, they are only halfway in the snow, not till their necks, as in others/the video above. Yet, to me it seems that there are two different collision layers, one for live birdies (a few inches below the snow surface); and another for everything else (at the snow surface).

1) Before
screen_(1927223447)_f74b4f85-8a79-4413-84de-aff062fd4778.thumb.png.8385c3d89fddaaad0f966992383a0571.png

2) 2 out
screen_(1927223446)_f8616102-05a4-4b6b-b76f-886ab9bcc66a.thumb.png.2db059bfb20974e404dac57b26001e90.png

3) After
screen_(1929223444)_d462c260-17a3-43c9-aa11-182c8733e62c.thumb.png.a3a02b253345c9e7ddcf5286ad19a3cd.png

4) Items on the same spots (all are clearly above the snow)
screen_(1928224445)_57df7486-9477-4ea4-923d-225c473a0cf4.thumb.png.c377e095a8def8e53b82c468b5194ab5.png

1 hour ago, AdamvR said:

Happy to hear, I'm here for the same :) 
(some discussions I have seen to have "escalated quickly" - and wanted to avoid that)

I'm sorry for that, yes, they are really difficult to spot...
I myself have the same, often just hearing them and looking frantically around, where to find them..

It is funny we draw opposite conclusions from the same experience:) 

I've tried testing it, but could only make pictures and cannot do much more now - maybe later.
Also, the findings are inconclusive, as on the below location, they are only halfway in the snow, not till their necks, as in others/the video above. Yet, to me it seems that there are two different collision layers, one for live birdies (a few inches below the snow surface); and another for everything else (at the snow surface).

1) Before
screen_(1927223447)_f74b4f85-8a79-4413-84de-aff062fd4778.thumb.png.8385c3d89fddaaad0f966992383a0571.png

2) 2 out
screen_(1927223446)_f8616102-05a4-4b6b-b76f-886ab9bcc66a.thumb.png.2db059bfb20974e404dac57b26001e90.png

3) After
screen_(1929223444)_d462c260-17a3-43c9-aa11-182c8733e62c.thumb.png.a3a02b253345c9e7ddcf5286ad19a3cd.png

4) Items on the same spots (all are clearly above the snow)
screen_(1928224445)_57df7486-9477-4ea4-923d-225c473a0cf4.thumb.png.c377e095a8def8e53b82c468b5194ab5.png

I was apparently on top of them ,and it's been the same on both my last two side runs..    

39 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Two side runs and I heard tons of them but only saw one bird...   I think custom runs are having a few issues since the update..

I only have one run going right now, custom one, that I started before I bought the DLC. I was initially concerned that the birds might not show up at all when I didn't meet any at PV, however TWM turned out to be full of them and it's always full flocks. It's like the only animal that is not behaving weirdly for me.

7 minutes ago, LostRealist said:

I only have one run going right now, custom one, that I started before I bought the DLC. I was initially concerned that the birds might not show up at all when I didn't meet any at PV, however TWM turned out to be full of them and it's always full flocks. It's like the only animal that is not behaving weirdly for me.

My main run is fine,I started that with the first doc update.. it's the runs after that I seem to be having issues with.. to be honest the only animals behaving normally are the moose and rabbits as far as I can tell..