Is maple syrup a renewable product???

DIA

I have noticed that maple syrup spoils very quickly. I decided to look up the spoilage rate of syrup on Wiki. But I discovered that in total you can find only 6-7 bottles of syrup in the game world! But when I went to the Russian-language Wiki, I read that bottles of syrup can be washed ashore by the sea. I still don't understand if maple syrup is a renewable resource?

15 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

Up to the current build, it cannot be independently manufactured.  Beachcombing is the only way to get more maple syrup (which I have not actually seen happen) apart from any maple syrup that is found as a drop.  

It turns out that maple syrup is still a renewable resource, you need to look for it on the beach!

21 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I've never found any syrup beachcombing..

It turns out that maple syrup is not a renewable resource! I just drank three bottles! And I have two more in reserve, but they are in very bad condition! I hope you can buy the syrup from a merchant.

46 minutes ago, DIA said:

It turns out that maple syrup is not a renewable resource! I just drank three bottles! And I have two more in reserve, but they are in very bad condition! I hope you can buy the syrup from a merchant.

Most are in poor condition..   

Unless htl says they can't be found beachcombing there's still a chance they could turn up.. it's just I've never had any.

4 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Most are in poor condition..   

Unless htl says they can't be found beachcombing there's still a chance they could turn up.. it's just I've never had any.

It may be possible to obtain syrup from maples, for example, by cutting down a young maple tree.

17 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

You could,or by tapping it, but it might take a while..  I can't see htl letting us cut down trees.

This was an assumption (formulated incorrectly). But this should definitely be on the bucket list.

On 10/24/2023 at 5:13 AM, DIA said:

It may be possible to obtain syrup from maples, for example, by cutting down a young maple tree.

Only if Hinterland adds different seasons (which would be incredible).  Maple sap starts to flow when the days are above freezing and the nights still dip below the freezing mark.  Even then it's only for a relatively short time as winter progresses to spring.  It's the chemical energy the tree stored the previous year being staged to make new leaves.

Of course if realism isn't a concern than anything is possible, and there's nothing wrong with a little creative freedom.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Only if Hinterland adds different seasons (which would be incredible).  Maple sap starts to flow when the days are above freezing and the nights still dip below the freezing mark.  Even then it's only for a relatively short time as winter progresses to spring.  It's the chemical energy the tree stored the previous year being staged to make new leaves.

Of course if realism isn't a concern than anything is possible, and there's nothing wrong with a little creative freedom.

The fact that maple syrup spoils very quickly in this game is already a departure from realism as it keeps quite well for very long periods.  I think the easiest solution is to make the syrup less susceptible to spoilage.  Really, I would prefer the new recipe ingredients to all be usable in recipes despite their being in a "ruined" condition.  They advertise that 0% potatoes can still be cooked to be safe to just eat again, so why not allow the same for all other recipe ingredients - i.e. that the recipes still allow them even when they are at 0%.  This would make the cooking of those recipes truly something for the later game - not something the player needs to rush to find ingredients on the maps before they spoil only to discover they have insufficient cooking skills to use them anyway.

Alternatively, they could add a generic pancake syrup to the game that essentially never spoils.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

On 10/25/2023 at 9:39 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

The fact that maple syrup spoils very quickly in this game is already a departure from realism as it keeps quite well for very long periods. 

Yeah that's one of those game balance things. Most decay rates only really make sense if the items are being worn or transported. I mean if you've got a brand new 100% can of peaches on your shelf minding its own business today, it's not gonna be an inedible mess 10 months from now. Food stored outside, I can understand. It's exposed to the elements, moisture, rust, more extreme temperature fluctuations, UV radiation, etc. But packaged/canned food indoors in a cupboard should last years.

Clothing when stored shouldn't decay at all, although I actually do think the decay rates from being out and about moving around do make sense. Rugged terrain, physical activity, exposed to the elements, on your feet all day. My former stepdad used to be a delivery driver, and he would wear out shoes and uniforms a couple times a year, just wearing them ragged from daily use, friction at the joints, etc. So that fits. Although I suppose we should just be glad that washing apparently isn't a concern for anything anywhere in this game! You can just keep wearing the same pair of underwear month after month, no matter how many Ruined Peaches go through you.

• Upvote 2