Electronics during the Aurora

DIA

During the Aurora, not only lighting comes into play, but also other equipment:
1) You can cook food on stoves (as in a misotropic house).
2) You can heat drinks in the microwave.
3) There are heaters in the houses.
  • Upvote 5

11 hours ago, dahemac said:

The microwaves might be sketchy because the electronics are sensitive to voltage. But ya, the cooktops and hotplates should work during an aurora. Or maybe you would need a fuse to get them working.

I doubt that. 4 stove electric cooktop with oven would definatelly need 3 phase 400 V power source to work. Would be easier to power a microvave. 

Then again the milling machine works fine soooooo maybe they should work. Would be a nice addition. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, James Hickok said:

4 stove electric cooktop with oven would definatelly need 3 phase 400 V power source to work

That would be one heck of a stove, indeed some kind of electric incinerator. My whole house is 120V 100A service. I have never seen a house with three-phase, only outbuildings with heavy equipment.
But in The Long Dark you can easily be electrocuted by wires during the aurora, so there is a lot of power there.

• Upvote 1

It makes sense that things like stoves/ovens would work, given that even PCs function well enough to display information on the screen. The inconsistency of the rules of the game is one of its greatest weaknesses. How can an elevator work but not a resistance stove top? I do hope that hinterland puts a little more thought into the world they create in their next game.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dahemac said:

That would be one heck of a stove, indeed some kind of electric incinerator. My whole house is 120V 100A service. I have never seen a house with three-phase, only outbuildings with heavy equipment.
But in The Long Dark you can easily be electrocuted by wires during the aurora, so there is a lot of power there.

I have bought similar to a kitchen in my seaside house (no gas connection) AMICA 58EE1.20(W)     (https://www.mediaexpert.pl/agd/kuchnie/kuchnie-wolnostojace/kuchnia-amica-58ee1-20-w?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4aWXyt6VgQMVoJODBx2lXgQ8EAQYASABEgJ9FvD_BwE) and it needs 3 phase 400 V  

But anyway yes getting shocked to death by wires is an indicator that the power is there :D I still like the idea. I would love to cook in my jackrabbit island base from the electric stove. 

My whole house is 120V 100A service. I have never seen a house with three-phase, only outbuildings with heavy equipment.

In Poland every house has a power socket. I have never seen a house in 120V. All houses are 230 and 400 power socket.  Isnt that odd? 

Im not an electrician but if im thinking correct You cant run any equipment that exceeds 1200 W right? 

Edited by James Hickok
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Im not an electrician but if im thinking correct You cant run any equipment that exceeds 1200 W right? 

Not sure why you would think that. Electric heaters are 1500 W. If I had a big machine shop with a fabricating machine, I would need a 200A service, but otherwise, I can run most any electrical equipment.

10 hours ago, dahemac said:

Not sure why you would think that. Electric heaters are 1500 W. If I had a big machine shop with a fabricating machine, I would need a 200A service, but otherwise, I can run most any electrical equipment.

Is that so. OK interesting. Seems like we are wasting power then. From Your perspective that has to be an overkill. 

But i have 2 inverters for AC one is 8Kw and other 4 Kw - would they work with Your power supply setting?  Again im not an electrican, in fact i know almost nothing in the subject. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Is that so. OK interesting. Seems like we are wasting power then. From Your perspective that has to be an overkill. 

But i have 2 inverters for AC one is 8Kw and other 4 Kw - would they work with Your power supply setting?  Again im not an electrican, in fact i know almost nothing in the subject. 

I don’t think you are wasting power. It is just a different standard. Electricity seems simple. But the more you learn about it the weirder it gets. I had an electrician explain 3-phase to me one day. So, I have a rudimentary understanding that it makes sense. But I could not effectively explain it in a useful way to someone who is interested without looking it up and doing some preparation. I can wire a three-way switch. But I have to draw it out first.

Probably all we are looking at is different standards that more than anything are likely to do with when electrification first happened in a place. The supply to my house is 220V. But typically household wiring only uses half that cycle so 110V. It is possible to bridge the 220V for particular applications, but most things in North America (Canada) are rated for 120 so 110 is fine.

The UK is weird because materials shortages post-war meant that some very dodgy standards were used to save wire. That is why in the UK every plug has it’s own fuse.

Worldwide standardization would be better. But good luck with that. 😄

Looking at the stoves in Coastal Highway where I am now, I think the texture is supposed to be a propane stove. So the whole conversation is moot. 🥳

I hope you are having a lovely day in Poland. I am sorry that you have those awful Puzzian neighbours a couple of countries over.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, dahemac said:

I don’t think you are wasting power. It is just a different standard. Electricity seems simple. But the more you learn about it the weirder it gets. I had an electrician explain 3-phase to me one day. So, I have a rudimentary understanding that it makes sense. But I could not effectively explain it in a useful way to someone who is interested without looking it up and doing some preparation. I can wire a three-way switch. But I have to draw it out first.

Probably all we are looking at is different standards that more than anything are likely to do with when electrification first happened in a place. The supply to my house is 220V. But typically household wiring only uses half that cycle so 110V. It is possible to bridge the 220V for particular applications, but most things in North America (Canada) are rated for 120 so 110 is fine.

The UK is weird because materials shortages post-war meant that some very dodgy standards were used to save wire. That is why in the UK every plug has it’s own fuse.

Worldwide standardization would be better. But good luck with that. 😄

Looking at the stoves in Coastal Highway where I am now, I think the texture is supposed to be a propane stove. So the whole conversation is moot. 🥳

I hope you are having a lovely day in Poland. I am sorry that you have those awful Puzzian neighbours a couple of countries over.

Thank you for the info. Very interesting. 

Day is great. Summer came back and its 30 degrees celcius. Weekend starts today si its great. I hope you have a Nice day as well. And those awful neighbors are getting what they deserve. They wont last another year. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, JackTrysGames said:

Also, small thing I found.

The keypad, complicated electronics as it is, works at the Cannery and at Blackrock.

If that thing manages to work, I think a few Hotplates functioning wouldn't be too much to ask.

There is a hotplate under a counter in one of the trailers at the Cannery. I want that on top of the counter and I want it red hot during auroras.

I actually really like that idea! Would definitely have to come with a drawback as well I would think, like maybe a certain success/failure rate on different appliances i.e. maybe the stove has a failure rate higher than say the microwave, also maybe usage of the fridge and freezer to get some condition back on food items, or the washer and dryer in Pleasant Valley homestead in the basement and get some condition back on clothing definitely and interesting idea!!!

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 12:10 PM, James Hickok said:

In Poland every house has a power socket. I have never seen a house in 120V. All houses are 230 and 400 power socket.  Isnt that odd? 

The US and some other countries use 120-130V AC  as standard, Europe and others use 230V AC.
Many appliances can handle both (having a range of 110-250 V or so) only they need a plug converter.
As far as I know: 120V is much less likely to kill you, but is less economical to transmit, than 230V, which is more dangerous. 400V is fairly lethal.

• Upvote 2

Wattage = voltage * amperage. 

Low voltage high amperage is like making one slow plodding trip up the stairs with 10 grocery bags dangling off your shoulders and elbows. High voltage low amperage is sprinting up the stairs 10 times carrying 1 bag each. If someone clobbers you with a bag of groceries, you'll probably be upset. If someone clobbers you with 10 all at once, you're probably going down.

The voltage by itself isn't what kills you. Static electric shocks from shuffling your feet on the rug and touching a doorknob can be anywhere from a few hundred to a few tends of thousands of volts, but because the amperage is practically nonexistant it's just a little shock.

• Upvote 3

• 5 weeks later...