Things that make you go, "Hmmm...."

hozz1235

Okay, dual part topic here:

1.  Extra points to who knows what the subject refers to!

2.  What things in TLD make you scratch your head and say, "How did this happen?"  "Is this possible?", etc.

My first one - How do freshwater fish wash up on the ice (beach-combing) in a seawater area (CH)?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

My first one - How do freshwater fish wash up on the ice (beach-combing) in a seawater area (CH)?

Seeing as how they're almost always ruined when you find them, most likely because they died upstream and were washed out into the ocean, then later washed back up onto the ice.

• Upvote 3

I'm not sure if this is exactly on topic but here's mine (and it's bugging me)

There can be an absolutely massive pile of raw meat lying on the ground and no predator will care unless it's right under its nose. But when it's in your pocket suddenly they all can smell it!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bysinda said:

I'm not sure if this is exactly on topic but here's mine (and it's bugging me)

There can be an absolutely massive pile of raw meat lying on the ground and no predator will care unless it's right under its nose. But when it's in your pocket suddenly they all can smell it!

Maybe it's a scent like a wounded animal would give off...  I mean, wolves search out the weak or wounded when hunting and chase that prey..  if we're wandering around giving off the same smell then that's what they'll think we are...the walking wounded..

6 minutes ago, bysinda said:

@Leeanda

but the meat lying on the ground and the meat in my pocket has the same smell...why would they investigate one but not the other?

Ones static and ones moving....  Wolves (in real life anyway) prefer to chase down live food..I.e. moving ...  And even eat the prey while still alive.

I have seen a pack eat large chunks off a bison while they were still chasing it..  gross but it happens.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Ones static and ones moving....  Wolves (in real life anyway) prefer to chase down live food..I.e. moving ...  And even eat the prey while still alive.

I have seen a pack eat large chunks off a bison while they were still chasing it..  gross but it happens.. 

Sure, yes, I get that, but

they don't see me moving yet they smell me. and if I don't move with a piece of meat in my pocket they still smell me. Anyway, I know you know what I mean and I can tell myself your explanation to stop the bugging xD

Obviously, the game isn't that complex or 100% life-like experience, and I'm glad that all the predators from the mile radius aren't coming to steal my stash and kill me while doing it 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bysinda said:

Sure, yes, I get that, but

they don't see me moving yet they smell me. and if I don't move with a piece of meat in my pocket they still smell me. Anyway, I know you know what I mean and I can tell myself your explanation to stop the bugging xD

Obviously, the game isn't that complex or 100% life-like experience, and I'm glad that all the predators from the mile radius aren't coming to steal my stash and kill me while doing it 

Well a video game has to video game..  we've all got our explanations for some of these things that make little or no sense.. 

Whatever works for us 😊.  I never got the moose not bleeding out thing,..  

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

How you fall through the ice in a place where it drops to -40C every single night for months.

Good one, you’d think it’s cold enough for the ice to be frozen solid everywhere except maybe over the ocean and the deepest parts of some of the lakes.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

How you fall through the ice in a place where it drops to -40C every single night for months.

Thanks for sending me down the rabbit hole of reading scientific papers like "Geotechnical and geophysical characteristics of muskeg samples from Alberta, Canada" xD Didn't understand squat

Anyway, maybe some parts have hot streams under ice, and when it comes to muskegs maybe there is too much debris, oil, etc so ice can never be fully solid? 

On 8/17/2023 at 7:57 PM, bysinda said:

Thanks for sending me down the rabbit hole of reading scientific papers like "Geotechnical and geophysical characteristics of muskeg samples from Alberta, Canada" xD Didn't understand squat

Anyway, maybe some parts have hot streams under ice, and when it comes to muskegs maybe there is too much debris, oil, etc so ice can never be fully solid? 

Or, as it is a swamp with large amounts of debris supposedly rotting underneath, it could be giving off heat at spots to weaken the ice. But the bear, oh, the bear with its hundreds of kilos: how does it walk on it unharmed?? 😉

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AdamvR said:

Or, as it is a swamp with large amounts of debris supposedly rotting underneath, it could be giving off heat at spots to weaken the ice.

Noice!

1 hour ago, AdamvR said:

But the bear, oh, the bear with its hundreds of kilos: how does it walk on it unharmed?? 😉

Actually,  if you follow the bear steps (or wolf's) you won't fall through either! Wild life dont step on weak ice. Sometimes I scare the wolf and see where it runs to check where it's save to go

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, bysinda said:

Actually,  if you follow the bear steps (or wolf's) you won't fall through either! Wild life dont step on weak ice. Sometimes I scare the wolf and see where it runs to check where it's save to go

They must have fixed this somewhat recently, because I remember how frustrating it was to have an inured animal bleed out and die on thin ice, making harvesting impossible.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

They must have fixed this somewhat recently, because I remember how frustrating it was to have an inured animal bleed out and die on thin ice, making harvesting impossible.

Maybe

I only noticed it after the first TFTFT update release.  I was lucky, no animal died on weak ice before.

After the update, I was in Bleak Inlet and dropped a stone to attract a wolf and he started going in the opposite direction. Turns out he was walking around the weak ice. That's when I made a mental note that they do that 

And just recently I shot a wolf in FM and was tracking it, followed their blood trail surrounded by weak ice, no problem 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1