Rock cache poll

SpanishMoss

What have you used a rock cache for?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@SpanishMoss

While I don't store meat in containers (last I was aware most "ruined" items in containers despawn; if that's changed, please let me know)... 

I do use them for organizing some specific items that are sometimes a pain to pile and have to pick back up later one at a time.
The biggest thing I tend to use them for is to essentially "bundle" sticks.  I find that I generally don't really ever need more than 200 sticks at anyone given time anyway. :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
A makeshift cairn... I like that.
We could even then place items inside... in memoriam.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Vault-Boy-Thumbs-Up.thumb.webp.4ebbcf42d200706626837df313e8dd38.webp

Never thought of actually using  it😁.    I don't go across that trestle Very often... 

I did paint a kind of makeshift cross on it too.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Most I ever use rack caches for is to store fuel, usually coal, as I often stop by the mines when returning too base and end up crawling back with 40+ coal that needs storing.

I made a rock cache simply named "STICKS!!!" can you guess what I stored in it?

One run however, I gave myself a challenge to never eat/cook ruined food items, so I created a rock cache next to my pile of foods to quickly void all rotten meat and canned goods at 0%. Never used it for real storage, just as a trashcan lol.

Edited by Smellyfries
Can't type lol
  • Upvote 2

I put down caches primarily to supplement the storage that may or may not be available at a given location.  The major alternate use is as task specific purposes.  I created a stone cache in the Ravine to hold the coal I lugged over from Cinder Hill Mine as a prelude to lugging that to Forlorn Muskeg Old Spence forge.  To complement that I put a stone cache near the Camp Office near the railroad tracks for the same interim purpose.  

I will likely put a stone cache at Old Spence Forge for the forging materials as I have come to fear (from experience) the possibility of Lost and Found grabbing anything left out in the open and moving it half-way across the region and then having to move it back.  

Depends on the situation.  

• Upvote 1

I primarily use Rock Caches to add storage near my primary base in any given region. If I'm staying long-term I will store meat in there, so I can easily keep an eye on its condition at a glance. If I'm moving on for an indeterminate duration, I pull it all out and throw it in the snow.

For places like Timberwolf Mountain that are horribly lacking in storage, that's all I use them for. All meat goes on the ground regardless, and the Rock Caches are used to store tools, materials, things that don't degrade over time, etc. 

The ultimate answer is pretty much the same as just about any other similar question: "It depends."

• Upvote 3

I did place it 2 times in one run but only for visual purpouse. I never use it. I tend to place stuff on sight so i know what and how much of it i got. I only keep technical stuff in drawers like arrowheads, feathers, wet stones, cables, matches and so on. 

It would be nice to have a purpouse to use it - if the food would actuall decay and while ruined would be impossible to eat even on lvl 5 cooking i would keep the food in there to prevent it from decaying so fast. 

It could be used to prevent wolfs from getting in the food - i always thought that food that lays outside shoud be ravaged by predators after some time. 

• Upvote 1

I used 5 on my first survival playthrough and I played on Voyager. 

1. I used one at the bottom of the rope by the campsite in Milton. I primarily used it to transfer most of my loot from Milton to the Lake Cabin in Mystery Lake, and it literally took forever. After that I used it to store water, some cattails, a bedroll, and other misc. items.

2. I used one at the Lake Cabin in Mystery Lake for general storage.

3. I used one outside of the cave in Milton that leads to HRV. I used this to store a bunch of charcoal, spray paint, water, cattails, snares, etc.

4. I used 2 outside of my cave base inside HRV for general storage. 

• Upvote 1