I'm about to start my first run with the expansion and I was wondering if the changes with each update are safe enough for it to be a long run.

I know there are and will be some (totally understandable) issues as it's a work in progress, but I'm asking about game breaking issues.

So, are you all doing test or temporary runs to try the new features waiting for the whole thing to be finished? Or are you playing normally and just carry on with the new content when it arrives?

Not that it makes a huge difference, but I'd like to know because I do very different things after spawn when I'm planning to go the distance.

Thanks in advance!

• Upvote 2

Well when I found out we would lose our old runs I spent several months doing short mostly pointless runs. But after the update I've got stuck in to a proper (intended) long run .  I'd like to get to a 1000 days because I lost my last long run at 760+ days to a fail to save bug and I'd like to at least beat that.  I fully intend to carry on with it through all the future updates.

I've not had any other game breaking bugs besides that one and I trust that hinterland have done what they promised and fixed it.   I do think that Xbox has been lucky in regards to bugs ,I know pc has had a few and it must be upsetting to say the least.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Technically, you can play your game through every update short of a complete overhaul. Technically.

If/when future updates add new items, then it will likely be a huge pain to have to go back through and loot the map all over again… not to mention that searched containers will remain empty.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnLovesCoffee said:

I'm about to start my first run with the expansion and I was wondering if the changes with each update are safe enough for it to be a long run.

I know there are and will be some (totally understandable) issues as it's a work in progress, but I'm asking about game breaking issues.

So, are you all doing test or temporary runs to try the new features waiting for the whole thing to be finished? Or are you playing normally and just carry on with the new content when it arrives?

Not that it makes a huge difference, but I'd like to know because I do very different things after spawn when I'm planning to go the distance.

Thanks in advance!

I have been trying to do a run to collect all that can be collected and some of the bugs have frustrated those efforts but in terms of affecting the viability of a long run not so much they are 3/3 on getting stuff into existing saves though there have been some game breaking issues, it seems to hit steam more as they get the updates ahead of everyone, like last patch caused some container item losses but arguably even that would make the run harder/shorter but it wouldn’t outright kill it in my opinion. update two had some bad ones with save corruption, they resolved the bugs though I’m not sure if they were able to restore saves affected. all in all I say do it im on day 296 and I’m glad I kept going they’ve got mementos and recipes sorted I expect they’ll have the gold nugget and variants sorted in short order too, worst case your save bunks and you have to start over chalk it up to a heart attack and try again 😂

• Upvote 2

Ah, nice. I think I'll go for the long run then. I have the most fun this way and I'm definitely not waiting until part 6 is out because I'm excited just reading about the new stuff. We all know I'll probably find a horrible and avoidable death before carrying out half my plans anyway.

Going back to old maps for new items miiight be an issue but a small one. I rarely empty whole regions before moving on.

And wow, I might need to rethink my idea of a long run. My record is an astonishing 116 days B|. Good luck with those 1000 days, @Leeanda!

Edited by JohnLovesCoffee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnLovesCoffee said:

Ah, nice. I think I'll go for the long run then. I have the most fun this way and I'm definitely not waiting until part 6 is out because I'm excited just reading about the new stuff. We all know I'll probably find a horrible and avoidable death before carrying out half my plans anyway.

Going back to old maps for new items miiight be an issue but a small one. I rarely empty whole regions before moving on.

And wow, I might need to rethink my idea of a long run. My record is an astonishing 116 days B|. Good luck with those 1000 days, @Leeanda!

Thank you😊.   I must admit I'm not a very patient player and all those short runs gave me itchy feet after about 70 days on this long run.. but thanks to the updates it kept me going and gave me reason to double search everywhere again.. and then the fixes so I'm certainly not going to get bored . There's still things I haven't found but mainly in hrv and I'm not going in there again.. I hate the place😁

I'm sure you'll do well ,good luck 😊🤞

• Like 1

The worst game breaking bugs were fixed pretty quickly. And before playing future big updates I'd back up the save game, so nothing gets messed up.

Otherwise it looks like some of the fixes have been retroactive. For example there was a bug where visor notes didn't spawn. When that was fixed they were also added to old saves. Not just news ones. So I feel pretty good about long games being fine even with something like that happens.

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2023 at 10:28 PM, JohnLovesCoffee said:

Thanks in advance!

After the latest update recipes that did not spawn got fixed and are now in old saves. Same with visors and Keys. 

From my perspective its safe to go for a long one. I myself are on day 310 interloper aiming for at least 1500 days. My longest one before the update was 1300 days interloper.

Oh and I don't mind relooting the world after they add stuff.  Always something happens when you go out. 

Good luck on your run.

19 minutes ago, JohnLovesCoffee said:

Thanks, @James Hickok! Yeah, it's great that fixes are being retroactive. Very good news.

But folks, you are all savage. Here I am, proud when I pass the 100 days mark and you mad people talking about thousands, haahahah. Keep it up!

Lol..  it's a lot easier on pilgrim than loper,just looking for all that loot takes up quite some time..  but 100 days is still a good achievement 😊🤞

If I remember correctly when the game first came out reaching 5 days was a huge accomplishment.   

• Like 1

I'm in day 360 (I started the run when the TFTFT was released, after Raph said that there will be no more save wipes) and I've encountered several bugs during the game (like no cooking level bonus meat, or some containers missing) but they were fixed and they were no game breaking bugs. But there is one thing that scares me which might cause some serious bugs because it's a very complex update: safehouse customization. This can cause some items disappear or contradict with some existing assets. That's why I started moving my loot to  safe places (rock cairns and some caves). My main base is the farmhouse in PV and it will be the wait and see game for me until the safehouse customization update lands.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, yollarbenibekler said:

But there is one thing that scares me which might cause some serious bugs because it's a very complex update: safehouse customization.

Oof, you are right. I always display all my stuff in several bases and outposts around the island. Hopefully this will be a quite simple feature. I'm looking forward to it, but I'd like it to be no more than some tweaks to make the places warmer and more comfy.

Just reinforcing what others have said:

• Back up your saves (if you can)
  • Be aware you may not get as many "new" items in an older run vs a fresh one.  I think HL has learned from this since most (if not all) cooking ingredients are "loose" (not in containers)
    • You will need to visit all previously looted areas to look for the new item(s).

Despite this, I'm doing long runs.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1