New places to live with new fishing mechanic.

So I'm really enjoying the new fishing mechanics, I'm finding that it really opens up the number of possible base locations.

I'm currently camped out in the lake cave on Monolith Lake in HRV. I run a 2 tip-up string of fishing holes, hunt ptarmigan and rabbits with FHAs. It also has the moose spawn on the lake.

Ive camped out here in the past, but I findbit more enjoyable now as I dont have to search so far from the cave to find enough food to survive long term. As fate would have it, the ability to fish here likely saved my life... I arrived to the cave just after dark and inadvertently disturbed the moose and got my ass stomped. So its been a saving grace to be able to get food literally on my door step.

This has officially become my longest lasting run since I started playing TLD when it released on Xbox. I'm currently at about 120 days on vanilla Stalker. Ive also completed SV for the first time on this run.

Anyone else found some new places to set up camp long term that the new fishing mechanic makes more survivable than previously?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, yollarbenibekler said:

Do you think it's possible to live in Ravine now?

There are no spots where the water is deep enough in the Ravine or anywhere near it. The closest would probably be the opposite side of Carter Dam, down where that wolf patrols. Otherwise, the fishing huts back at Mystery Lake would probably be your best bet. Dealing with Bleak Inlet and all the timberwolves wouldn't be worth it IMO.

• Upvote 2

Oh funny little fact, if you have the Placing Anywhere mod installed, you can place ice fishing holes even in places that make no sense. You have to first be standing on valid ice when you go to chop the hole, but simply don't confirm it until you've got it positioned where you want. That might be on some actual ice elsewhere just so it looks normal, or it can be goofy like on top of an oil drum. Literally fish in a barrel!

Assuming you play legit though, it truly doesn't add a whole lot. Generally speaking, you can't fish on rivers, although in places where multiple non-fishable rivers come together, sometimes you can fish there out in the open. In Pleasant Valley for instance you can find some fishing spots that are closer to "homey" locations like the farmhouse or the townsite that are closer than the hut up on the lake, but of course you'll be fully exposed without so much as wind cover. And places with no deep water like the Muskeg, you can't fish anywhere. Other places like DP and CrH technically already had a source of fish in the form of beachcombing. (And you can get both fresh and saltwater fish that way!)

It hasn't resulted in any OP paradises, as near as I can tell. Most of the time the region either had a source of fish already so this is a subtle convenience, or didn't support fishing in the first place and so nothing changed. BR, HRV, and MT are the only three regions that come to mind where this has the potential to become a game changer. (i.e. a source of lamp oil that doesn't involve lengthy travel.) 

• Upvote 3

I tried to set up a fishing hole at Black Rock outside the hut near the moose spawn.  Can't remember what the place is called at the moment. I tried all over that pond.... Couldn't find a spot anywhere. I mean it has a dock and a boat which is why I thought I could fish there. Has anyone tried there a found a spot? 

I don't know the precise mechanic behind where ice fishing holes can and can't be placed, however, it appears that the mechanic for ice fishing holes doesn't have to do with the depth of water, rather, it depends on the distance from the shore.

Come to think of it, there aren't that many places where it's possible to ice fish and there's no ice fishing huts nearby. In fact the only locations I can think of are:

• The broad river between the Hunting Lodge and Maintenance Yard -- seems useful enough if you live in the region, though beware of bears and wolves.
  • Winding River, near Carter Hydro Dam -- maybe useful if you live in the dam, though beware of wolves.
  • Monolith Lake -- Excellent if you live in the area. Lake Cave especially is now an excellent long-term base. Having the workbench at Bunker Omega makes things even better.
  • Some rivers in Pleasant Valley -- okay, it is closer to the Farmstead than Pensive Pond, so it might be easier to bring the fish home to cook.
  • Milton Basin -- meh. No real good base nearby, and carrying fish up the ropes to cook at Paradise Meadows isn't very feasible. Could work if you live at the Hermit's Cabin or in the Forlorn Muskeg.
  • Crumbling Highway -- you might as well go to Coastal Highway and fish there. Or pick up fish on the shore.
  • Desolation Point -- again, Coastal Highway isn't far, and fish can be picked up from the shore.
  • West of Long Bridge in Bleak Inlet -- ehhh, maybe if you don't mind timberwolves and you like living in the Cannery. Might as well pick up fish from the coast though or go walk a short distance west.

FYI: I know this opinion generated some controversy on these forums in the past, however, in my YouTube series I considered Coastal Highway and Desolation Point to be one region when I survived there for 14 days.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, TwoFatCatz said:

I tried to set up a fishing hole at Black Rock outside the hut near the moose spawn.  Can't remember what the place is called at the moment. I tried all over that pond.... Couldn't find a spot anywhere. I mean it has a dock and a boat which is why I thought I could fish there. Has anyone tried there a found a spot? 

I believe the place is called Bricklayer's Retreat. Couldn't find a spot to set up my tip-ups there as well. Seems like it's just a very shallow pond, so I think it makes sense that we shouldn't be able to fish over there. That's my favourite spot in Blackrock when get the Moose spawn nearby, sadly it's outside the prison on my long-term character. 

On 7/9/2023 at 3:15 PM, ajb1978 said:

Oh funny little fact, if you have the Placing Anywhere mod installed, you can place ice fishing holes even in places that make no sense. You have to first be standing on valid ice when you go to chop the hole, but simply don't confirm it until you've got it positioned where you want. That might be on some actual ice elsewhere just so it looks normal, or it can be goofy like on top of an oil drum. Literally fish in a barrel!

Oops, I discovered that quite some time ago and submitted a ticket for it! 😳

11 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

Milton Basin -- meh. No real good base nearby, and carrying fish up the ropes to cook at Paradise Meadows isn't very feasible. Could work if you live at the Hermit's Cabin or in the Forlorn Muskeg.

Paradise meadows. The two rope climbs aren't bad, there's a truck you can take a nap in if you're warm, or the cave if you're not. With crampons and a full tank you can take both ropes in a single go, going upwards. Downwards and back up you will want to take a short nap before the ascent, or the below-50 fatigue penalty to your weight might strand you halfway unless you drop some fish.

Just satchel up, make sure you're Well Fed, drop everything that isn't fish at the top of the ropes. If you're just covered up enough to prevent frostbite, you can lug about 40kg of fish per trip. And if all you do is set up a line of tip-ups, similar to a snare line, one trip down and back up is probably all you need. 

• Upvote 2