Fishing broken?

I just tried fishing for the first time with a lure (no bait).  I fished in 1 hour increments for a total of 6 hours at lvl 5 fishing and didn't catch a single fish!  Looks like my lure is scaring the fish away instead of attracting them! ;)

Same test with no lure and still no fish.

Edited by hozz1235

Spent time finding a location of suitable ice to chop a hole (using heavy hammer) then conventionally fished for a couple hours since I heard that fishing might not work.  Got two whitefish.  

I did map out for that spot in Keeper's Pass South, around the existing ice fishing hut, and did see that it was a fairly large area I would suppose.  In Pleasant Valley I stepped onto the ice river near Long Curve and by chance found suitable ice around the bend in the river as it heads towards Keepers.  

Haven't actually done any fishing at the ice fishing hut since the update so don't know if that got broken.  

Edited by UTC-10
edit for grammar.
  • Upvote 1

I was just about to make a Post about this. Yeah, seems clearly bugged. Ive got fishing 5, and used the regular lure which only costs 1 scrap Metal, no Fish in 6-Hour-Increments. That definitely seems broken, at least in the Ice fishing huts. I used the one closest to camp office. I hope you guys have alot of Lantern Oil stockpiled until this is fixed :P

Edit: Yep, the fishing huts seem broken. I created a hole just outside the fishing hut, so i can still use the warmth of the stove, and got the first fish after ~1 hour.

Edited by Shadox

4 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

I I have no means of producing lancer oil now and im all out. Fix this please.  

Hmm, you could get small amounts if you beachcomb a little, theres usually some fish here and there around the shores. Wont be much compared to fishing, but might help you get through a cave or two. Lets hope it doesnt take too long until its fixed.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Shadox said:

Hmm, you could get small amounts if you beachcomb a little, theres usually some fish here and there around the shores. Wont be much compared to fishing, but might help you get through a cave or two. Lets hope it doesnt take too long until its fixed.

Yes !! Im sooo stupid. Ofc beachcombing. Ty survivor !

In the meantime i tried to fish by making a hole and to my amazement it works. So only in huts i get the crash. 

I fished with a lure from cables for about 16 hours in incriments and I got one bass on the 16th hour. I extracred 14 bait from him and tried to fish more. I did a 3x 6 hour session,  didnt catch anything and the line broke. 

Also I just got inside hut made the fire in the stove and made a fishing hole just outside like you did. This way i am protected and can fish. A bit lame tho. I hope they will patch this and other stuff sooonish. 

Now to beachcombing:) 

Edited by James Hickok
  • Like 1

Hehe, on PC i also got no fish from the huts. But i used to fire to stay warm and fish outside. Fishing huts seem to be broken on any version right now.

Yeah, Fish seems a bit rarer, at least without Baits. With the Lures just made of scrap metal, i seem to get a little more then half of the amount of Fish compared to before. I think it didnt take longer then 2-3 Hours before i got a fish, but i got fishing 5. Still, i think thats a good trade off because now one can even fish in areas like Monolith Lake in HRV, which is amazing. Even if i get less fish then before without using non-renewable materials, i take the new flexibility from that change any time over the old mechanic.

Wont use anything else for fishing though, as long acorns are not renewable. Using a cable is also a waste, they are not exactly abundant on interloper and who knows how many more of these transmitter towers are coming.

2 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Im on xbox and fishing is totally bugged. 

Every time I try to fish lure or no lure when I click Fish button  game crashes. Every time. I have no means of producing lancer oil now and im all out. Fix this please.  

Could also use torches until fixed.

As far as I can tell, there is is very, very little point in doing manual fishing any more at all!

Why would you sit there wasting time watching a progress bar, when you can put down an automatic fishing machine to do it for you? The materials needed for the tip-up mechanism and the basic fishing lure are so easy to come by (and you don't need any tools to make them - just a workbench) that it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense not to use them, as far as I can see.

You just leave it there, then go off and do whatever you want for a couple of hours, come back and you've caught a fish! Even if you want to stay nearby, you're better off setting the tip-up instead of doing it manually - you can tend a fire, boil water, cook, prepare food, do repairs, whatever. And if you catch a fish in the mean time you can see the tip-up trigger, and stop what you're doing to deal with the fish and reset the line. It makes fishing really, really easy (almost too easy?).

I've caught loads of fish at Mystery Lake. Absolutely loads. Granted, it might be a favourable location compared to others, but I do play Custom mode with all wildlife (including fish) set to "Low" spawn chance.

16 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Could also use torches until fixed.

Yeah. I like the lancer tho. 😀

12 hours ago, Pillock said:

As far as I can tell, there is is very, very little point in doing manual fishing any more at all!

Why would you sit there wasting time watching a progress bar, when you can put down an automatic fishing machine to do it for you? The materials needed for the tip-up mechanism and the basic fishing lure are so easy to come by (and you don't need any tools to make them - just a workbench) that it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense not to use them, as far as I can see.

You just leave it there, then go off and do whatever you want for a couple of hours, come back and you've caught a fish! Even if you want to stay nearby, you're better off setting the tip-up instead of doing it manually - you can tend a fire, boil water, cook, prepare food, do repairs, whatever. And if you catch a fish in the mean time you can see the tip-up trigger, and stop what you're doing to deal with the fish and reset the line. It makes fishing really, really easy (almost too easy?).

I've caught loads of fish at Mystery Lake. Absolutely loads. Granted, it might be a favourable location compared to others, but I do play Custom mode with all wildlife (including fish) set to "Low" spawn chance.

I havent tried the autofishing yet. I will go it today. I have manualny fished yesterday and it seems that the chance to catch a fish is lowered. I have cought several small white fish, 2 bass, 3 of those new small Silver fish, and one orange one that looks like a catfish. 

Is there a limit to the traps you can set or i can just put 10 of them close to eachother.

• 3 weeks later...

I got back to Pleasant Valley and went to check one of the spots I had found (basically the junction of the main river from Thomson's Crossing to Keeper's Pass South and the tributaries from the Lower falls and Misty Falls) and in that one (near the destroyed fisherman's hut) I found that nowhere in that area though the game would allow for the New Fishing hole graphic, it was always red, so no fishing possible.  I suspect the other spots on the river will have the same outcome.  

I had also made a check on Pensive Pond and it also was showing all red even right up against the ice fishing hut.  

I will have to check Keeper's Pass South to see if the large area around the ice fishing hut would still be viable for fishing.  I happen to have a New Fishing hole near the ice fishing hut and know that it used to work.  I don't know now.  

I meant that the New Fishing hole graphic would appear but it would always be red and at no place in that ice river area did it ever turn green.  When I had first mapped the location the graphic would turn green so (I didn't test it) I should have then been able to punch a hole in the ice and fish.  That disappeared with one of the recent updates.  

(Post 2.21 update) A check of the area around the Keeper's Pass South ice fishing hut seemed to indicate that a New Fishing hole could be punched through the ice (green graphic).   I noticed that the existing New Fishing hole I had made some time ago and fished from when testing whether I would catch anything (I did) showed up visually but running the New Fishing hole graphic over that older, iced up fishing hole, would turn the graphic red.  Makes sense as it was over something other than pristine suitable ice.  

• 5 months later...
On 6/28/2023 at 12:38 AM, Admin said:

We can confirm that we are working on this issue and will release a fix in an upcoming update. Thank you for your patinece -- we will hare more information as soon as it is available. 

Hello! Found this old post from last summer. Is there any news? Fishing Lures seem to still be broken. They are reducing the chance to catch fish instead of increasing it. Will there be a fix for this soon?

On 1/14/2024 at 5:36 AM, James Hickok said:

I still catch way more fish without any lure and bait so I guess its not fixed yet....

Are you using the Tip ups or just manually fishing?

With the tip ups I get noticeably larger fish when using bait, not sure if the lure has any practical effect. While just fishing straight up I don't use anything, as the lure does seem to decrease bite rate from my cursory observations ( might be confirmation bias on my part ). I wonder if there's any flaw in the implementation of the mechanic where it works for the tip-ups but not for manual fishing.

17 hours ago, Dan_ said:

Are you using the Tip ups or just manually fishing?

With the tip ups I get noticeably larger fish when using bait, not sure if the lure has any practical effect. While just fishing straight up I don't use anything, as the lure does seem to decrease bite rate from my cursory observations ( might be confirmation bias on my part ). I wonder if there's any flaw in the implementation of the mechanic where it works for the tip-ups but not for manual fishing.

Normal fishing.  Tip ups didnt convince me to use them. It takes too much time to break the ice. 

I just used 2 tip ups while manually fishing at a hut in Mystery Lake and it was fine for me. I caught about 8 fish in one day, and then caught a few more with just the tip ups over the next few days. I play on Xbox One.

Question: When you use lures and the line breaks do you lose the lure too? I actually haven't used lures yet because I wasn't sure if they were worth it.

Plus, why does breaking one ice hole take 5 condition away from your ax and knives? That's insane.   

6 hours ago, Stranzua said:

I just used 2 tip ups while manually fishing at a hut in Mystery Lake and it was fine for me. I caught about 8 fish in one day, and then caught a few more with just the tip ups over the next few days. I play on Xbox One.

I tried that some time ago but it still didnt convince me to do that. I've put 2 holes outside of the hut so it was warm to break the ice. 

I usually go fishing for 3 or 4 days str8 and catch at least 30 or more. Oh and i tend not to fish on lvl 1 fishing. One book and ur lvl 2. 

Question: When you use lures and the line breaks do you lose the lure too? I actually haven't used lures yet because I wasn't sure if they were worth it.

Yes.

Plus, why does breaking one ice hole take 5 condition away from your ax and knives? That's insane.   

It is. That is one of the reasons that im not convinced to use tip ups.  I play custom mode way harder than loper so i dont want to waste my tools so fast.  The pros just dont overcome cons to me. 

• Upvote 1

The hammer is a must have for ice breaking, it only decays minimally when breaking the ice holes and you can repair it infinitely with some tools and fir. 

Honestly, fishing without the tip ups just doesn't cut it for me. It made fish a staple in my diet whenever I'm in a location that is fishable. Mountaineer's hut in TWM comes to mind, just leave a tip up in front of the cabin and go break the ice every now and then and harvest your fish. The excess lamp oil is also handy when cutting limbs and you need that extra couple degrees of warmth to minimize cold damage. 

• Upvote 1