Please add Variant Toggle to Custom game settings...

SlippedGear

And please consider adding a toggle for skill-ups to custom game settings also.  This would allow the option for those who like it more difficult to play the whole game without gaining the ability to eat all the rotten food late game. Perhaps even toggles for each skill?

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, SlippedGear said:

consider adding a toggle for skill-ups to custom game settings

I mean, honestly it seems like that's just a matter of player choice.  We can spend hundreds of days in any difficulty and not make much progress on any skill if we don't want to.

If we don't like the idea of being able to eat ruined meat or food... we can just choose not to (or put ruined items in a container to despawn).  After all, just because something is there doesn't mean we have to make use of it.

Player choice is wonderful because we can change the game ourselves simply by changing the way we play it.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
6C7911377-tdy-130617-leo-toasts-1.webp.e3bf551e707e12de50119805865f96cb.webp
...Player Choice...

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

This is super necessary. The ability to turn off skill progression could be interesting as well. If you increase your skills every time you harvest a carcass or catch a fish, the only to avoid leveling up is to do nothing. I've never tried NOGOA or anything harder than Interloper, but the more options the better. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know... I've gone hundreds of days (both stalker and interloper) without skills never getting much higher than into level 2/3.  It's possible... it just requires us to really manage our resources very tightly.  There's a difference when we only use our skills when we really need to.  I think maybe folks have gotten so used to making a mad dash to level 5 in everything, that maybe we forget how to live minimally.

Anyway, I'm not interested in a debate... I said my piece and I'll leave it at that.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I mean, honestly it seems like that's just a matter of player choice.  We can spend hundreds of days in any difficulty and not make much progress on any skill if we don't want to.

If we don't like the idea of being able to eat ruined meat or food... we can just choose not to (or put ruined items in a container to despawn).  After all, just because something is there doesn't mean we have to make use of it.

Player choice is wonderful because we can change the game ourselves simply by changing the way we play it.

6C7911377-tdy-130617-leo-toasts-1.webp.e3bf551e707e12de50119805865f96cb.webp
...Player Choice...

No disrespect, but this would add more player choice to the custom settings. There is always the option to mentally set our own limitations, but it could be argued that everyone could do this and we wouldn't need any custom settings. I'm not suggesting changes to the game itself, just more options in the custom settings. More choices for everyone 🤩

• Upvote 3

@SlippedGear

Don't get me wrong I wasn't criticizing the idea.  I was only pointing out that we could essentially already do what you were talking about by exercising a little player choice.

If we don't want the variants, we can scrap them rather than use them (makes the standard versions even rarer... I kind of like the sound of that).
If we don't like the higher-level benefits of skills... we can just choose not to use those benefits or just use skills when we really need them (which makes skill growth... really... slow).

I'm not against more custom settings.  I tend to agree that more options are better than fewer (I've even said as much in many of my previous posts)...
I was just trying to convey that we don't have to wait/lobby for anyone to add a feature, if we can just choose to change the way we play.

• Upvote 1

Some of the skills aren't in balance with others ,I think..  today I levelled up harvesting skill by doing just one rabbit..  yet I've had countless fires and it only just went up one..  and as for the sewing...well we all know how long that takes😁

• Upvote 1

@Leeanda
That sounds like an odd occurrence.
You went fully from level 1 - 2 in Carcass Harvesting from only stripping one rabbit?!

That's supposed to be something like a 15 point gap (going from zero experience to level 2, I mean)... there's no way one single rabbit should be able to provide that much experience.  Last I knew, our survivors only gained about 1 skill point per hour spent harvesting.

Edited by ManicManiac

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
That sounds like an odd occurrence.
You went fully from level 1 - 2 in Carcass Harvesting from only stripping one rabbit?!

That's supposed to something like a 15 point gap (going from zero experience to level 2, I mean)... there's no way one single rabbit should be able to provide that much experience.  Last I knew, our survivors gained about 1 skill point per hour spent harvesting.

I thought it odd too.......  

But it's definitely the only thing  I have harvested on this run..    the only time I've seen carcasses have been during blizzards or when it's too windy and too exposed to harvest it.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

It would actually be pretty difficult to NOT level something and would require quite the effort to do so.  You can't shoot a bow or gun, you can't sew anything, you can't cook anything, you can't make a fire...suppose you could chop wood all day and eat raw food ;)

• Upvote 1

On 6/16/2023 at 5:53 AM, ManicManiac said:

@SlippedGear

Don't get me wrong I wasn't criticizing the idea.  I was only pointing out that we could essentially already do what you were talking about by exercising a little player choice.

If we don't want the variants, we can scrap them rather than use them (makes the standard versions even rarer... I kind of like the sound of that).
If we don't like the higher-level benefits of skills... we can just choose not to use those benefits or just use skills when we really need them (which makes skill growth... really... slow).

I'm not against more custom settings.  I tend to agree that more options are better than fewer (I've even said as much in many of my previous posts)...
I was just trying to convey that we don't have to wait/lobby for anyone to add a feature, if we can just choose to change the way we play.

My thought with the variant toggle - I was imagining with it for example we could make the Spelunker's Lantern the only lantern in the game so it would be so much more of a challenge to find. How much more satisfying would it be to find the only lantern in the entire game in one very remote location in the world? I was specifically asking mostly so people could have the variants on custom interloper, but it would also make available the option for players to not have them if they wish as well. For example, custom Gunloper with only generic weapons and tools disallowing variants. One of the most common complaints I often see is many of the new goodies (variants) are excluded from interloper. This could address that without changing core interloper settings for the main survival game.

Edited by SlippedGear
clarification

On 6/16/2023 at 5:53 AM, ManicManiac said:

@SlippedGear

Sorry for the double quote, but I wanted to address the skill toggle separately. There is a group of players that keep asking for an even harder difficulty than interloper. Some of the players that like the game especially punishing start over constantly to avoid skilling up. I was primarily asking for the custom skill toggles for them. But this would also make customizing these settings available for everyone. Maybe there could be skill sliders for each skill, that could be set wherever and locked in place in the custom settings, so people that do not have the time to play for long periods could set them higher to start if they wish. I really love all the options that the custom settings open up for everyone. I hope even more can be opened up for everyone's benefit.

23 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

It would actually be pretty difficult to NOT level something and would require quite the effort to do so.  You can't shoot a bow or gun, you can't sew anything, you can't cook anything, you can't make a fire...suppose you could chop wood all day and eat raw food ;)

I smell a new challenge!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SlippedGear said:

we could make the Spelunker's Lantern the only lantern in the game so it would be so much more of a challenge to find. How much more satisfying would it be to find the only lantern in the entire game in one very remote location in the world?

This is 100% something I'd love. We have a few unique items already even without the variants - technical backpack, proper crampons, and the body armour. I don't enjoy these so much because we know exactly where they are, so it feels more like an arduous shopping trip than a joyful discovery. If there were unique items, especially if they're not essentials (the lantern is a good example) then I'd like them to be in randomised locations, to at least some extent.

• Upvote 1

@SlippedGear
Again... I wasn't criticizing the idea.

I was merely pointing out that the core of what you're proposing can effectively already be done in game, simply by changing the way we choose to play it.

I was imagining with it for example we could make the Spelunker's Lantern the only lantern in the game

I know what you're getting at, I get it.   However, like I was saying before we can do that already just by choosing to ignore or scrap the other lanterns. 

For example, custom Gunloper with only generic weapons and tools disallowing variants.

I know what you're getting at, I get it.   However, like I was saying before we can do that already just by choosing to ignore or scrap the other variants.

There is a group of players that keep asking for an even harder difficulty than interloper. Some of the players that like the game especially punishing start over constantly to avoid skilling up.

I know what you're getting at, I get it.  However, all I was talking about is the fact that if we use those skills sparingly... it takes can take a very long time for any skill to hit level 5...   That's literally all I was saying. 
Again... I wasn't criticizing the idea.  Simply that we could already just choose to use our skills minimally, and as a result it could potentially take much longer while to master any one of them if we'd like to delay the higher-level benefits.

@hozz1235

23 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

It would actually be pretty difficult to NOT level something and would require quite the effort to do so.  You can't shoot a bow or gun, you can't sew anything, you can't cook anything, you can't make a fire...suppose you could chop wood all day and eat raw food

But that's not even what I was talking about.  I wasn't saying anything trying to keep skills at level 1 indefinitely.  Simply that we could already just choose to use our skills minimally, and as a result it could potentially take much longer while to master any one of them if we'd like to delay the higher-level benefits.

===================
===================

In either case... I'm not interested in being drawn into an argument nor have the time for a protracted debate about it; so I'm going to leave it at that.

One last time.. 
I wasn't criticizing the idea... just offering that much of this we can already achieve through Player Choice.

I've already said my peace, and I stand by it... if we disagree, that's okay.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

@ManicManiac

I do understand what you are saying, and I don't entirely disagree with you. It might all be moot anyway, as this may require too much work by the devs to rework the custom settings for a relatively small benefit. I just thought I would ask just in case maybe they were considering updating the custom settings along with the updated DLC. If they are not, that's fine.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stranzua said:

Has anyone ever found item variants in custom? I just found Vaugn's rifle inside the cave in Winding River, and this is the first time for me. Apparently, I read this post wrong.

I play custom pilgrim and I've found all the variants....except the bow because I don't go to hrv...

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Stranzua said:

Has anyone ever found item variants in custom? I just found Vaugn's rifle inside the cave in Winding River, and this is the first time for me. Apparently, I read this post wrong.

I am pretty sure if you turn on rifles you will automatically get the variant rifles in custom. I was asking for a separate toggle in custom so we could have varients items independently from the normal items. This would allow for setting a custom game with only the variants if we so choose. I have not tried setting up a custom interloper game and seeing if for example the Spelunker's Lantern spawns, I know it does not on normal interloper. So I am not sure what toggle currently would allow the Spelunker's Lantern in a custom interloper game.

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2023 at 10:08 PM, Stranzua said:

I play custom exclusively and I've found all variants.

• Upvote 1