Not sure why dead...

PilgrimReaper

So, uuhhhh.... I just died, and I don't know why. I just "faded into the long dark".

I was painfully trying to get to the crashed plane in ML, was almost at the cache, judging from the frantic beeping, then it stopped, because morning aurora cut-off. I decided to sleep it off in the plane, then there was a long dark screen, then this:

Screenshot2023-05-21at17_17_59.thumb.png.a8bf32b020165d87eb34b2a4f4f09e93.png

I don't know what to make of it. Is this a bug, or did I miss something?

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

That's  bad luck....  Sounds like a bug to me.    What was the cause of death,do you know. It tells you somewhere.

Does it tell you anywhere, other than right when you die? Because here I didn't get a cause of death at that moment.

Can't remember if you're on Xbox or not...  If so I think it's somewhere in the diary pages...    Sorry I can't remember exactly where, my son found it and he's not sure either.  . 

I think my most common cause of death is fell from a great height😁

What was the affliction (the yellow dot with an '!' in it) on your fatigue meter?  Whatever that was may be why you faded into the long dark.  

Your temperature was fine so you didn't freeze.  You were losing condition due to thirst, hunger, which would kill the character slowly, like days, and (I suppose) exhaustion (though the fatigue meter was at about half way)? 

Since you were sleeping, the fatigue meter should have been white not red.  You were supposed to be recovering fatigue.  

I would speculate that some [fatigue-related/impacted] affliction was present or developed and that killed your fatigue (turned the meter red) and drained condition and eventually killed the character. 

Now that could have been a bug if it came up out of nowhere. It could be the game glitched and locked your fatigue meter on exhausted and (because of the glitch) accelerated the condition loss.  The affliction and the red fatigue meter seem to be the only reason why you would lose all you condition and die.  

Edited by UTC-10
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, xanna said:

If you save the journal you can look at it from the menu, and the cause of death is on that.

It just said I faded into the long dark, nothing else.

15 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

What was the affliction (the yellow dot with an '!' in it) on your fatigue meter?  Whatever that was may be why you faded into the long dark.  

Your temperature was fine so you didn't freeze.  You were losing condition due to thirst, hunger, which would kill the character slowly, like days, and (I suppose) exhaustion (though the fatigue meter was at about half way)? 

Since you were sleeping, the fatigue meter should have been white not red.  You were supposed to be recovering fatigue.  

I would speculate that some [fatigue-related/impacted] affliction was present or developed and that killed your fatigue (turned the meter red) and drained condition and eventually killed the character. 

Now that could have been a bug if it came up out of nowhere. It could be the game glitched and locked your fatigue meter on exhausted and (because of the glitch) accelerated the condition loss.  The affliction and the red fatigue meter seem to be the only reason why you would lose all you condition and die.  

"though the fatigue meter was at about half way"

This remind me... the fatigue meter was "empty" right when I died, but then it started filling up clockwise, until it reached the point you see in the screenshot. I have no idea what that means.

"It could be the game glitched and locked your fatigue meter on exhausted and (because of the glitch) accelerated the condition loss.  The affliction and the red fatigue meter seem to be the only reason why you would lose all you condition and die."

That's what I'm thinking right now. It is extremely strange that the "resting" icon just stayed on the whole time, into my stats, as it is in the screenshot.

11 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

My guess is either broken ribs or parasites.

I've only had broken ribs once, and it wasn't on this run.

@PilgrimReaper

Have you been able to start a new run and reproduce what happened?
If there were no relevant afflictions (food poisoning, parasites (say from raw meat), dysentery, or any other untreated malady) then perhaps it was indeed a bug.  I'd recommend gathering up whatever information you're able to and submit a support ticket, just to make sure Hinterland is aware of and tracking the potential anomaly.  If it's not reproducible, then it will likely be hard for them to troubleshoot.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

It almost looks like you slept, but the game woke you up and accelerated time without *waking you up*. That would explain all of the meters empty. The limited fatigue would have been caused by prolonged starvation too. I would think you'd die before getting that hungry (to block half of your fatigue) but maybe not. Regardless, it's still a bug since you shouldn't wake up with your fatigue meter at 0. 

Edited by Pencil

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

@PilgrimReaper

Have you been able to start a new run and reproduce what happened?
If there were no relevant afflictions (food poisoning, parasites (say from raw meat), dysentery, or any other untreated malady) then perhaps it was indeed a bug.  I'd recommend gathering up whatever information you're able to and submit a support ticket, just to make sure Hinterland is aware of and tracking the potential anomaly.  If it's not reproducible, then it will likely be hard for them to troubleshoot.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

I haven't tried, no (tbh, I'm feeling like right now is the perfect time to take a break from the game). The only thing I could possibly reproduce, I think, is just sleeping in that particular crashed plane.

20 minutes ago, Pencil said:

It almost looks like you slept, but the game woke you up and accelerated time without *waking you up*. That would explain all of the meters empty. The limited fatigue would have been caused by prolonged starvation too. I would think you'd die before getting that hungry (to block half of your fatigue) but maybe not. Regardless, it's still a bug since you shouldn't wake up with your fatigue meter at 0. 

Yeah, exactly. Usually the first meter to get to zero (in my experience) is thirst, and if that's been empty for a bit of time before I wake up, then my overall health is down some (but never much). I play quite conservatively, and always have food / drinks on hand, and always make sure hunger and thirst are at least half full before I sleep. I like me a full night's sleep, but still.

My guess would be that PilgrimReaper ran a foul of an unfortunate case of a runaway (race) condition in the game.  Time sped up when he went to sleep and accelerated far beyond where it would normally have gone given that sleeping occurs in what I call "Hasty Time".  As a result his thirst and hunger meters went red because for game purposes, because of the race condition, he had been asleep for several days and, in addition, the game did not credit his sleeping as restoring Fatigue.  I think the yellow dot with the '!" in it may have been a [presumably] seldom seen indicator of EXTREME FATIGUE (being in an exhausted state for a prolonged period of time).  [Guessing here]

All those negative meters would then drain down condition and if a "race condition" occurred then it only got relieved after his death changed some variable in the game so then his Fatigue meter began to fill up as the game updated things after it was too late to be of any good. 

This would seem to fit the circumstances.  

Edited by UTC-10
For a bit of clarity

2 hours ago, PilgrimReaper said:

Yeah, exactly. Usually the first meter to get to zero (in my experience) is thirst, and if that's been empty for a bit of time before I wake up, then my overall health is down some (but never much). I play quite conservatively, and always have food / drinks on hand, and always make sure hunger and thirst are at least half full before I sleep. I like me a full night's sleep, but still.

If you sleep the full night with only half your thirst up you will take damage,in my experience, even on pilgrim.

11 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Hey PilgrimReaper

Another possibility...had you survived an animal attack recently, and perhaps forgot to treat the infection (or treated it with antiseptic/OMB after the affliction set in, which wouldn't then work)? That could explain the fatigue symbol.  It's got me in the past...

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Infection

Except for that one time a moose charged at me, I've never been attacked by an animal.

1 hour ago, PilgrimReaper said:

Indeed, but not a lot, I don't think. Nothing near what this was.

Maybe not.

I still think that it's mainly the fatigue and/or a bug ..     given pilgrim has a high fatigue rate it makes sense in my opinion anyway. 

Just out of curiosity, are you saying nothing except that one moose has ever tried to attack you?   I get charged at a lot by bears.

Edited by Leeanda

Just curious, how many hours of sleep did you put in, and was it in a basic sleeping bag or bed?

It looks like a game bug occurred during sleep, hunger can increase fatigue which also causes health condition decrease, but quite a long time should have passed for it to completely drain the condition due to the low condition consumption rate.

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Fatigue

"Starvation
If a player remains starving for a long enough time, the maximal amount of rest that they can acquire will start to gradually decrease. It is noticed by the yellow exclamation mark that appears beside the eye icon and by the red colour that starts filling up the inside of the fatigue bar."

• Like 1