What should tomorrow’s run be?

SuperStriker16

Custom difficulty?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which difficulty should my custom game be?

• My “realistic” difficulty
    • Harder than voyager, easier than stalker
    • Harder than stalker, easier than interloper
    • Something else (specify in a comment)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/21/2023 at 09:00 AM

The thing is you want to travel and explore easily, so you have to lower the predators (voyageur-like or at least loper, but not stalker) and may-be their agressivity (again voyageur-like or even pilgrim) as well as their respawn rate (pilgrim to have some game to hunt). Not too much loot, so the stalker base is fine : you'll get your share of everything. As proposed several times, you can lower the loot to loper as far as containers are concerned without too much impact, just to keep things a bit challenging.

I guess letting all the other aspects as stalker or loper will do just fine, you sure can play with the weather, but basically you're all set for your personal realistic difficulty ;)

• Upvote 1

Awe - poll is already closed... but you picked how I would have voted anyways.  Interesting code... didn't see the Length of Day Multiplier coming (although it is impossible to tell lowercase l's from uppercase I's in this font).  Enjoy your run!

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

I guess I missed the boat on this one... maybe next time.

For "realistic" settings, I would suggest setting "Wildlife Detection Range" to maximum, "Wildlife Smell Range" to maximum, and the "Wolf Fear" to maximum/near maximum.

In "real life" animals nearly always prefer to avoid us and get away rather than get aggressive.

This also makes hunting a bit more challenging too... can't so easily use yourself as bait. :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I guess I missed the boat on this one... maybe next time.

For "realistic" settings, I would suggest setting "Wildlife Detection Range" to maximum, "Wildlife Smell Range" to maximum, and the "Wolf Fear" to maximum/near maximum.

In "real life" animals nearly always prefer to avoid us and get away rather than get aggressive.

This also makes hunting a bit more challenging too... can't so easily use yourself as bait. :D 

Excellent video.  It would be nice if HL could program in a "realistic" wildlife behavior setting in custom... something that provides a potential for aggression if the player responds to the situation poorly yet doesn't make the animals out to either be psychotic killers or irrational "afraidy-cats" that tuck tail and run away whimpering in fear.

• Upvote 2

I think I will reset, I'm only a day in and I can tell this is going to be a good bit unrealistic, I'm going to increase calorie burn rate, decrease time multiplier to 2x instead of 3x, and the stuff @ManicManiac said, so there are many things I want to change. Another thing I forgot to mention is that while I'm going to be moving around most of the time, whatever random region I spawn in, i'll have that place as my main base, (ex: if I spawn in Coastal Highway, id need to set up a base in that region, so Lighthouse, Riken, Hibernia Processing, etc. I'll choose the region base.)

p.s. cool video.

• Like 1

That's entirely up to you.  
As far as I know... Wolf Fear only affects wolves.  
it's not the same as "Passive Wildlife"
You could have "Passive Wildlife" set to no... and "Wolf Fear" set to high/medium... whatever you think would be interesting/fun to play.
Me... if i was going for "realistic" I'd probably go with High Wolf Fear. 

@Leeanda can attest that even with Passive Wildlife it's possible to provoke them into attacking.  

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

Wolves never attack me on passive no matter what settings I have on..  the only exception was when I deliberately tried to get in their way while eating.. if approached from behind them they are very likely to attack..    others have been attacked but very rarely and usually if they get in the way of a kill/chase..

Bear and moose are more unreliable ...  I've had some runs where one shot will nearly always make them charge and other runs where they always run away.. it's finding animals that can be an issue sometimes...  But with plenty of found food it's not much of an issue,usually.. 

This run I have wolf fear on low and close range but half the time they still run from a fair distance away.. sometimes I can run into/through them (literally) while they're howling    

Don't expect the bear to walk slowly towards you though if it's annoyed.. it will go into a full run  immediately..  and they seem to be acting a bit oddly since the update ,so don't 1000% rely on the flare gun either.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Wolves never attack me on passive no matter what settings I have on..  the only exception was when I deliberately tried to get in their way while eating.. if approached from behind them they are very likely to attack..    others have been attacked but very rarely and usually if they get in the way of a kill/chase..

Bear and moose are more unreliable ...  I've had some runs where one shot will nearly always make them charge and other runs where they always run away.. it's finding animals that can be an issue sometimes...  But with plenty of found food it's not much of an issue,usually.. 

This run I have wolf fear on low and close range but half the time they still run from a fair distance away.. sometimes I can run into/through them (literally) while they're howling    

Don't expect the bear to walk slowly towards you though if it's annoyed.. it will go into a full run  immediately..  and they seem to be acting a bit oddly since the update ,so don't 1000% rely on the flare gun either.

I also think @Leeanda has probably the "most realistic" setting - passive, detection range "close,", wolf fear "low."  This is still not totally realistic since there is almost no chance of aggression and the animals still "tuck-tail" and run away whimpering... as opposed to the "casual saunter" away demonstrated in the video (which is more in line with my experiences with wildlife). 

A non-passive setting with a "close" detection range is also not a bad adjustment to the "medium" one used by the standard settings.  It makes all the wildlife a little more oblivious to you (i.e. going about their normal business) until you get close enough to "surprise" them... then they attack.  Unfortunately, the setting also makes the deer and rabbits more oblivious to you... making it easier to kill them.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Honestly, I'm not sure... I just assumed High fear would equal greater fear response (or likelihood of fleeing)

@Leeanda, I think you've had more experience with those particular settings than I've had... is it a direct correlation or an inverse correlation?

Edited by ManicManiac