Where are the bear dens in Pleasant Valley?

xanna

There are a lot of bear spawns in PV, do they all have dens, ie caves with bones in?
I'm particularly curious about the bear that patrols around by Hilltop Cave:

image.png.807e237d441a6c2e720a2230febcd660.png

The list of bear spawns on the fan wiki gives general locations of patrols, not specifically dens, so it made me wonder if every bear has a den. I couldn't find a map that marks them.

Thank you fellow survivors!

@xanna

As you point out there several potential spots for a bear den... generally in Pleasant Valley, I've only known there of there being three Dens that manifest for each run.  So either when the run begins, or when we first enter the region (whenever that roll is actually made); that's when up to three dens appear at any of the various possible spawn locations.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 1

I believe every bear has a den... not all of them have bones in them.  For example, the bear in Broken Railroad will occasionally sleep in the cave nearest the rope anchor (of the two caves located on that side of the pond/lake)... no bones.

Edited by UpUpAway95

@ManicManiac Sure, I understand that not all of the possible bears (and bear dens) exist for any one run - thank goodness!

19 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

at any of the various possible spawn locations.

It's these possible spawn locations that I'm asking for the specifics of, if anyone knows, and whether they are dens (caves with bones) or maybe if some bears spawn without a den. Or rather, not specifically spawn locations, but the bear's 'base' (just in case they are different).

Edited by xanna

18 minutes ago, Glflegolas said:

I think that bear can spawn in one of two caves in the mountainous walls of the region: either the one south of Hilltop Cave, or the one near the waterfall. Check for bones in both of those caves.

Interesting! So that bear has two potential dens. Maybe there are more potential dens than potential bears then!

19 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I believe every bear has a den... not all of them have bones in them.  For example, the bear in Broken Railroad will occasionally sleep in the cave nearest the rope anchor (of the two caves located on that side of the pond/lake)... no bones.

Hm, yes that's true, I'd forgotten about that one. A tidy bear who takes his rubbish out.

@xanna

16 minutes ago, xanna said:

So that bear has two potential dens. Maybe there are more potential dens than potential bears then!

As far as I have experienced each bear is linked to just one den (but it can have a few different routes to wander).  **Yes, there are occasions where a den is not marked by bones - just as there are some occasions that an active Moose Spawn is missing Bark Scrapings.

Each bear's den essentially being it's home location.  Specifically for Pleasant Valley, I've only ever confirmed up to three bears to be present each run.  So yes, there are more potential den locations than there are bears that will appear.

Here's a list of all the potential bear den locations that I can recall confirming during my runs over the years:

Below the Mine Entrance, and near Upper Falls
The Cave beyond the Derelict Cabins
Near Lonely Homestead on the edge of the Birch Forest
Cave "behind" the Crash Site
Cave around the bend of the river near Long Curve
Near the climb just across the road from Pleasant Valley Farmstead
Cave "behind" Hilltop Cave (at the bottom of the slope leading down to the ridge line "backtrail")
Cave next to Cascading Falls
Near "barns" along the backroad towards Three Strikes Farmstead

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

@xanna

As far as I have experienced each bear is linked to just one den (but it can have a few different routes to wander).  **Yes, there are occasions where a den is not marked by bones - just as there are some occasions that an active Moose Spawn is missing Bark Scrapings.

Have you seen any moose scrapings at all since the update?  I've encountered several moose (in various saves and various difficulties), but not a single moose scraping.  I'm wondering if HL has intentionally eliminated them or whether my game is  "consistently" bugged.

• Upvote 1

@UpUpAway95

In my present run (started before the update), I am currently in Timberwolf Mountain... the spot between the Moutaineer's Hut and the Landing Gear Wreckage has had a confirmed moose and does sport the Bark Scrapings.

I've not had the chance to look for them in the previous 5 regions I've already explored.
I know that the Bridge in Desolation Point has always seemed to be missing the Bark Scrapings but is frequently an active spawn location.

I would suggest submitting a ticket with your findings.
If it's bugged, then it ought to be on their list of things to fix.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

Just now, ManicManiac said:

@UpUpAway95

In my present run (started before the update), I am currently in Timberwolf Mountain... the spot between the Moutaineer's Hut and the Landing Gear Wreckage has had a confirmed moose and does sport the Bark Scrapings.

I've not had the chance to look for them in the previous 5 regions I've already explored.
I know that the Bridge in Desolation Point has always seemed to be missing the Bark Scrapings but is frequently an active spawn location.

That would be on PC then, started after the first Tales update, but before this one?  I wonder if any PC players who have started new saves after this update are still getting moose scrapings then?... or in any console players are getting any at all (since they wouldn't have any saves started between the first instalment of the expansion pass and the second (since they were released together on console)?

• Upvote 1

Thank you @ManicManiac 😁

So yes, there are more potential den locations than there are bears that will appear.

Sure, but I am wondering about how many potential dens compared to potential bears, not thinking about any single run. I was trying to figure out if there is a one-to-one connection between dens and bears. There wouldn't be if, for example, some bears spawn but don't have a den.

Near Lonely Homestead on the edge of the Birch Forest

This one is interesting, because I don't recall a cave there, and I've been wondering where the birch forest bear lives. The nearest cave is the one on the river under Derelict Cabins.

If you'd like a more concrete example, on my current run I met a bear at Signal Hill. I assumed its den was from the cave by the rope climb over the road from Mollie's farm, or a cave in the back wall, probably the cave nearest Signal Hill that isn't Hilltop. But both those caves were free of bones and had loot.

But mostly I am asking in general, out of curiosity.

18 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Have you seen any moose scrapings at all since the update?  I've encountered several moose (in various saves and various difficulties), but not a single moose scraping.  I'm wondering if HL has intentionally eliminated them or whether my game is  "consistently" bugged.

I'm 90% sure I saw moose sign on trees in Milton Basin, and other places in my run that I can't now remember where. I'm on PC.

Pleasant Valley has the potential for seven bear spawns.  I imagine that four of these bears tend to regularly appear in the game and the other three (maybe one of the three) tend to sometimes appear in the game (at the time the game initially starts).  

I have seen moose in Pleasant Valley (don't recall seeing moose signs), Timberwolf, and in Desolation Point (on the bridge... once).  I have yet to see a moose in Ash Canyon (I do not recall moose signs anywhere) or in Coastal Highway (no moose signs near the Coastal Townsite as I might have expected).  

20 minutes ago, xanna said:

There wouldn't be if, for example, some bears spawn but don't have a den.

As far as I've experienced each bear is connected to just one Den as its "home" location.
Every bear I've tracked eventually always returns to their home Den.  I've never tracked a bear that didn't have a Den.
Bear to Den ratio 1:1  :) 

17 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

Pleasant Valley has the potential for seven bear spawns.  I imagine that four of these bears tend to regularly appear in the game and the other three (maybe one of the three) tend to sometimes appear in the game (at the time the game initially starts).  

Absolutely. My question wasn't "How many bear should I expect to see in PV in my run?" though. It was, what are the locations of the seven (possible) dens for the seven (possible) bears. I think @ManicManiac has got to the answer now, although I'm still unsure about the birch forest bear.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, xanna said:

although I'm still unsure about the birch forest bear.

"behind" the birch forest among the rock formations closer to that riverside.
That's the same bear I've tracked through the birch forest around Lonely Homestead and occasionally heads out farther into field "behind" the Old Red Barn at the Pleasant Valley Outbuildings.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I haven't started a run in Milton yet.  I'll do that to check it out.

Found

3 hours ago, xanna said:

I'm 90% sure I saw moose sign on trees in Milton Basin, and other places in my run that I can't now remember where. I'm on PC.

Just finished my moose test in Milton... no moose up top (pond near exit to HRV) and no rubbings.  Moose found in Milton Basin... no rubbings.  Ash Canyon 2 runs... moose in both locations, rubbings in neither; Broken Railroad 3 runs... moose once up top near hunting lodge... no rubbings; moose near bridge twice (maintenance shed level)... no rubbings.  Still a perfect batting average re moose with no rubbings.

8 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

@UpUpAway95 no rubbings in BlackRock.. I've been everywhere except hrv and nothing at all.   More actual moose sightings though. 

Thanks... it's looking more and more like they have either gone missing (perhaps due to the addition of the acorn-producing trees) or are intentionally removed with this update.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1