Interlopers: What do you think of the Spelunker's Lantern as a substitute reward for Tales?

ridankrad

What do you think of the Spelunker's Lantern as a substitute reward for Tales?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Obviously right now it's not clear whether HL will update Tales so that it can be played in interloper. But assuming it does, what do people think of the concept of the Spelunker's Lantern as a replacement reward for the rifle holster?

According to the TLD Wiki, currently the Spelunker's Lantern is unavailable in interloper. I think it would be a great substitute reward in interloper. It's arguably an upgrade over the normal lantern (40% more fuel efficient), but has drawbacks (40% less luminous). This seems right in line with the interloper mode. For example, the bearskin coat is very warm and protective but is heavy and cumbersome. Additionally, getting the Spelunker's Lantern in these circumstances would obviously require braving an extreme challenge.

What do people think about this?

Edited by ridankrad

I make use of coal a lot so I spend a lot of time in mines gathering it. Torches work too of course, but unless it's a sunny day allowing for the mag lens, then the lantern is a good option to save on matches. Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

It could be any number of special or even mundane items.

I've heard people mention a bow quiver, also a great idea.

It could be a regular knife. The only one in interloper, how cool would that be?

Or it could just be a jar of peanut butter. Interloper players after day 100 or so are just looking for SOMETHING To do that matters or is entertaining. Getting the Technical backpack in Ash canyon felt super meaningful. Going into the aurora elevator in the hidden mine was also super meaningful, even though I didn't get any significant loot or upgrades from it. It was still days of prep and planning to achieve and felt triumphant when I completed it.

• Upvote 1

There's no real use for lanterns when you can torch-chain + there are 100,000 matches available in the game world. They're only useful early game when you have no other light sources yet or if you're doing one region challenge or whatever

Edited by Mistral

I don't really care if it a bunch of tinder plugs we get.

I would just like to play the tales in Interloper for the challenge /reason to explore.

Although personally I don't like not being able to level all skills on Interloper , so I usually set up a  custom gunterloper.

But there's too many guns.

What i would really love is either a new game mode  with interloper settings and guns available but very rare ,like 2x rifles and 2x revolvers in the entire map  with no cleaning kits at all (gives more reason to visit the milling machine)and with 1x knife and 1x hatchet, would also like to be have access to all the types of clothing(again very rare to find)

Or have the tales as a toggleable option for custom

I don't care if we get anything at all.  The loot really doesn't matter much, as all interloper players have their own workarounds for everything that's missing.

What most of us would really like is a chance to play through the lore / puzzles / whatever without starting a new run to do it.

However, if there was going to be a "reward" at the end of it, it could be a minor variation on an existing item.  Doesn't even have to be more powerful or better.

• Upvote 1

I think it'd be fun to have the short hand radio just to see the feature in interloper and have fun exploring, maybe just nerf the loot and bring it to interloper levels. Same with the bunkers, maybe just nerf the loot in them a lot bring them way down to the pits of interloper. 

13 hours ago, Kayosiv said:

It could be any number of special or even mundane items.

I've heard people mention a bow quiver, also a great idea.

It could be a regular knife. The only one in interloper, how cool would that be?

Or it could just be a jar of peanut butter. Interloper players after day 100 or so are just looking for SOMETHING To do that matters or is entertaining. Getting the Technical backpack in Ash canyon felt super meaningful. Going into the aurora elevator in the hidden mine was also super meaningful, even though I didn't get any significant loot or upgrades from it. It was still days of prep and planning to achieve and felt triumphant when I completed it.

Interesting idea about the regular knife (or maybe also the regular hatchet) as a reward. That would certainly add a lot of value to the milling machine in BI. I can predict some resistance to this idea from some interlopers who might be concerned about it eroding interloper's difficulty, but I think it might be okay if the challenge to get the regular knife/hatchet was extreme (e.g. braving lots of aurora wildlife in frigid temperatures).

10 hours ago, Mistral said:

There's no real use for lanterns when you can torch-chain + there are 100,000 matches available in the game world. They're only useful early game when you have no other light sources yet or if you're doing one region challenge or whatever

I like the lantern for several reasons even late game:

1. Saving matches to explore mines/caves for coal on cloudy days when unable to start fire with the mag lens.

2. Checking for loot more easily in buildings.

3. The temperature bonus it offers even when winds are too strong for torches.

4. Reading at night indoors when waking up before sun is up.

4 hours ago, sierra 117 said:

I don't really care if it a bunch of tinder plugs we get.

I would just like to play the tales in Interloper for the challenge /reason to explore.

Although personally I don't like not being able to level all skills on Interloper , so I usually set up a  custom gunterloper.

But there's too many guns.

What i would really love is either a new game mode  with interloper settings and guns available but very rare ,like 2x rifles and 2x revolvers in the entire map  with no cleaning kits at all (gives more reason to visit the milling machine)and with 1x knife and 1x hatchet, would also like to be have access to all the types of clothing(again very rare to find)

Or have the tales as a toggleable option for custom

Like with the other suggestion above about the single instance of a regular knife/hatchet, I think the idea of finding a single gun is interesting if it's done right. For the gun, the idea I've had is that parts for the gun are scattered all across Great Bear and have to be located, retrieved and assembled, after which the resulting assembled gun would be extremely low condition and in need of repair at the milling machine (even in this scenario, I don't think any gun cleaning kits should spawn).

I like this idea because it would give a kind of scavenger hunt for later game interlopers that would reward them with a high value weapon, but without allowing guns to be acquired any sooner than late game. It would also allow interlopers to (eventually) level up their firearm-related skills.

Again, I predict opposition to this idea from some interlopers, which I understand, but I personally think this would be a good way to add some late game objectives to interloper without compromising the difficulty or spirit of that mode.

Thanks everyone so far for all the thoughtful replies.

18 minutes ago, ridankrad said:

That would certainly add a lot of value to the milling machine in BI. I can predict some resistance to this idea from some interlopers who might be concerned about it eroding interloper's difficulty

Well, the revolver (and maybe the rifle?), and the store-bought hunting knife are already in the interloper game.  They can sometimes be found in memento caches.  Out of any "contraband" loot, by far the most useful is the knife because it's light in weight and lets you complete crafting and carcass harvesting in less time than the forged version.  You could easily add any of the in-game rifles or the revolver without affecting difficulty very much.  Level 5 archery is so deadly that carrying a gun really isn't worth the weight.

I have a revolver in my 500 day interloper run and it's a shelf trophy.

On 4/4/2023 at 10:07 PM, Mistral said:

That's just your preferred playing style. I almost never chain torches and I'm doing just fine. Using a lantern is just easier and it also gives the fish oil a use.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Serenity said:

Complete nonsense. That's just your preferred playing style. I almost never chain torches and I'm doing just fine. Using a lantern is just easier and it also gives the fish oil a use.

Yes and that is just your preferred playing style...?

The poll did say "What do you think" didn't it?

• Upvote 1

I share others' opinion. I would do it even if there was just a stick in the end. Altough I admit I've never personally found a revolver or hunting knife on Interloper and wouldn't mind finding a ruined revolver/knife that then sent me on a quest to Bleak Inlet or Blackrock

• Upvote 3

On 4/4/2023 at 11:33 AM, ridankrad said:

Obviously right now it's not clear whether HL will update Tales so that it can be played in interloper. But assuming it does, what do people think of the concept of the Spelunker's Lantern as a replacement reward for the rifle holster?

According to the TLD Wiki, currently the Spelunker's Lantern is unavailable in interloper. I think it would be a great substitute reward in interloper. It's arguably an upgrade over the normal lantern (40% more fuel efficient), but has drawbacks (40% less luminous). This seems right in line with the interloper mode. For example, the bearskin coat is very warm and protective but is heavy and cumbersome. Additionally, getting the Spelunker's Lantern in these circumstances would obviously require braving an extreme challenge.

What do people think about this?

👍

As said before, most players do not care if the final reward it's a stick or a stone. It's all about the experience.

However i think adding an special reward for interlopers it's a wisely change 😉

Actually i use my Lantern a lot, because living in bleak inlet gives infinite kerosene. The bonus warmth, exploration without wasting matches, more time for crafting at night. It is not the best item in the game but it's very decent if you live in regions with fishing. Otherwise very forgiving.

I like the idea! 😁

• Upvote 1