Fire Hardened Arrows turned me into Elmer Fudd

ajb1978

So at first I was highly skeptical of why anyone would want to craft arrows that only kill rabbits. I mean who even bothers with rabbits anyway? Then it hit me....TARGET PRACTICE. Be veewwwwwyy qwwiet, wwe're hunting wwabbits today.

All of a sudden my eyes lit up like dollar signs every time I saw a rabbit grove, and I couldn't wait to scorch me up some bunny skewers. Rabbits will have you shooting arrows like Robin Hood in no time flat.

• Upvote 6

• 3 months later...

They're equally effective for hunting ptarmigan. 

I thought I'd switch back to stones once I maxed out Archery, but I find that I'm tending to stick with the bow.  Carrying the bow, a couple of simple arrows, and a handful of FHAs keeps a lot of options open. 

• Upvote 2

I never saw the point in grinding skills. They go up fast enough regardless. So I don't do it for that. But I like the arrows as an alternative to stones. It's a bit easier to hit things from farther away.

Edited by Serenity

Well, I am a laughably terrible shot with the bow, so getting to crouch while aiming allows me to reliably hunt deer without wasting half my arrows.  I also tend toward stinginess with limited supplies, and find I'm reluctant to potentially waste a good arrow on a low-percentage shot - but I don't mind taking a flyer with a fire-hardened arrow, since I can make new ones with renewable resources.   

On 7/23/2023 at 7:02 AM, Serenity said:

I never saw the point in grinding skills.

Depends what your goals are.  I don't see it as "grinding" necessarily, but more "focused".  For example, I like to try to get Cooking 5 ASAP so I will not pass up any opportunities to cook something, even though I may not need it at that moment.

16 hours ago, Rusty said:

Well, I am a laughably terrible shot with the bow, so getting to crouch while aiming allows me to reliably hunt deer without wasting half my arrows.  I also tend toward stinginess with limited supplies, and find I'm reluctant to potentially waste a good arrow on a low-percentage shot - but I don't mind taking a flyer with a fire-hardened arrow, since I can make new ones with renewable resources.   

I can certainly understand your frugalness (I'm the same), but with Enhanced Beachcombing, saplings/arrows are practically unlimited now.

On 7/23/2023 at 3:16 PM, Rusty said:

They're equally effective for hunting ptarmigan. 

I thought I'd switch back to stones once I maxed out Archery, but I find that I'm tending to stick with the bow.  Carrying the bow, a couple of simple arrows, and a handful of FHAs keeps a lot of options open. 

They are extra helpful with ptarmigans! They are often somewhere close to a cliff and a few times when I missed the arrow flew over the cliff. If that was an arrow with an arrowhead I would be hella pissed at myself. But an arrow that just takes a few twigs and feathers to make? Fly away!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1