Bunker Spawns Disabled

On 12/11/2022 at 8:21 AM, yollarbenibekler said:

Somebody asked before but there is no answer yet: Do we have to start over when they activate the bunkers or will the bunkers appear in our existing saves once they update the game? Because I don't want to spend any more time in my current run if I have to start over again.

I can't answer the question with certainty but I suspect you'd have to start over again. But why would you? HL hasn't given a timeline and if it takes longer than a week, which by the sound of it it will, your survivor will be so well equipped that the bunkers become obsolete.

If you like the search, try finding the variants of all items. I only found the 2nd item yesterday on day 120 of my current Stalker run, they are at least as well hidden as the bunkers and definitely more useful in the long run than a clothing or food bunker you'd most likely would get.

On 12/9/2022 at 11:40 PM, Sito said:

I suppose even the complainers complain because they love the game otherwise they would just leave and we would not hear from them ever again.

Despite your negative connotations, you are right.  People should be free to express their thoughts, while also trying to by sympathetic to the complexity of software design.

On 12/11/2022 at 12:21 AM, yollarbenibekler said:

Somebody asked before but there is no answer yet: Do we have to start over when they activate the bunkers or will the bunkers appear in our existing saves once they update the game? Because I don't want to spend any more time in my current run if I have to start over again.

I thought about this too, but then again, I'm pretty sure I'll be alright without the bunkers.  It's not going to stop me from playing my new 'long run'.

Edited by hozz1235

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 11:20 PM, Gwynren said:

There should have been a list of patch notes at launch. Period. SO many complaints across social media, forums, and Steam reviews have stemmed from the complete lack of written communication over 1) what is included in the first drop of the expansion pass; 2) what changes have been made to Survival mode. It's a real shame because usually the studio is so so excellent at communicating!

Raph said on Twitter that there were over a 1,000 small tweaks made during the restructure and therefore it was impossible to have a change list, but I disagree. Hinterland should have found a way to summarise the major changes, list the expansion contents, and hint at the smaller changes. Releasing a video on TFTF is not enough.

Tweaking or fixing stuff is fine (and most people were encouraging it), but like you said the change should've been part of the release notes or at least mentioned under a "known issues" section since it sounds like they've been aware of it for a while. Many other things that were mentioned to be part of the expansion were implied to exist in this first update, like acorns and cougars, so people were actively looking for them and were confused by their absence (I know because I was watching highly active TLD streamers from the expansion's release and they had the same questions). Clear communication and managing expectations are part of any update/software release, especially a large one like Tales from the Far Territory.

I think this goes back to Hinterland apparently not having proper external beta testing of their product, since many of these changes would've been spotted by seasoned players and ironed out before the eventual release date. There's a balance between the wonder of a new update and feeling like you're experiencing TLD for the first time again, and the sense like you're being kept in the figurative dark. The needle has swung too far in the latter direction, in my opinion, and we've seen the poor results before in previous releases such as the rapidly disappearing corpses/items that came with Episode 4 (which took 4+ months to properly resolve).

Tweaks/changes that aren't adequately tracked in software development lead me to believe that their QA dept isn't adequately testing the changes and we're likely to have more "oversights" in the future. I was hoping the separation between story-mode and survival would lead to additional quality in the final product.

I really think Hinterland should consider releasing these updates to major streamers or dedicated external QA to assist with testing at least 1-2 weeks prior to their eventual release. With streamers you can make it time-limited or a feature "spotlight" into the eventual release, build up some hype, and track down major oversights before releasing the update to the masses.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I've been looking for the ML bunker on and off for a week now and decided to 'cheat" and re-look them up in the map and still couldn't find them.  I was going to start to look for a youtube vid to show exactly where when I finally found this mention.  So, thanks Hinterland for let us know up from that they were disabled, I could have been working on the next zone a while back...

On 2/26/2023 at 6:46 PM, E_T said:

Yeah, I've been looking for the ML bunker on and off for a week now and decided to 'cheat" and re-look them up in the map and still couldn't find them.  I was going to start to look for a youtube vid to show exactly where when I finally found this mention.  So, thanks Hinterland for let us know up from that they were disabled, I could have been working on the next zone a while back...

Apologies for the confusion. We mentioned this in the December Notes, but we will also be reintroducing them in one of the upcoming updates. Thank you for your patience!