Handheld Shortwave

Figured I'm make a devoted thread for discussion on this.

So we already have "standard" radios in the game, but as the wiki states, "...and shortwave broadcasts can be transmitted over thousands of miles from a single transmitter...", this suggests receiving international/very long-distance signals.  Also, since TLD is a multi-language game, I can't imagine HL would broadcast speech (unless it's gibberish and they subtitle it).  More music stations?  What does HL have in store for us?  Perhaps just for lore?  Thoughts?

Guest jeffpeng
22 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I have often wondered if there could be a way to leave the island ,as a way of finishing a run..  a radio would be a way to summon a means of escape if that's what you wanted to do. 

Just a thought but highly unlikely.

Not sure if this is so very unlikely. In fact I think this would be a great addition to the game.

Think about it. You would need to find the parts, which are randomly scattered, for the shortwave. Then reach the airfield. Then hold out until help arrives, which could trigger some event that would make this easier said than done. As this is completely optional it would people provide a way to "end" their run other than jumping off the Summit or simply forgetting the save while retaining the open-ended option as well.

Maybe it'll just make it into a challenge. But I think it's a good idea as Hopeless Rescue has already proven. Just that Hopeless Rescue was done with much less resources, and I think expanding on this idea would be great as well.

Hmm. I hadn't even considered being able to have a chosen "ending" to a run. It would certainly change the dynamics and psychology of how you approach, well, everything.

It would probably encourage a more nomadic existence for most of the run as you aren't intending to ever come back. Even in those of us (me) whose nature is to be a home bird with a snuggly cave to retreat to.

I don't think I could play that way all the time, I'm not built like that, but it would definitely be interesting to try it when all that's left is to sit by the fire and Fade Into The Long Dark.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

An "ending" is kind of what I envision Story Mode as. 

I would then be focused on that vs. trying to survive for an undetermined amount of time.

Thank you Hozz, I couldn't put my finger on exactly why it didn't quite sit well with me. This is exactly it .

However if there was the option to turn it on and off that would be fine. Then the folks who would enjoy it could partake and the rest of us fade away as we are left with just our reishi tea...

Maybe it's just me but the longest I'd want a run is 1000 days.. but then what? Just delete it or throw her off a cliff ...again.. 🙂

After reaching that goal I'd rather she sailed off into the sunset . It would make my time spent on it more worthwhile I suppose. 

But I get why that wouldn't work for everyone so optional in the settings is a good idea... 

I doubt htl would implement it though .

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Maybe it's just me but the longest I'd want a run is 1000 days

I saw it as kind of a accomplishment (albeit, never-ending) to see how many days I could survive.  Granted, after 2400, it was a grind, which is kind of why I stopped.  That was the save where I finished all the collectibles (cartographer, cairns, memories, etc.) and used to explore expansions, so I actually kept pretty busy.  I do intend to do the same with this new run/save.

• Upvote 3

Different strokes for different folks.

I really like the idea of quietly fading into The Long Dark by the fire at Trapper's knowing how well I'd done surviving that long. Peaceful and satisfying. For me at least.

Of course I don't usually get that far. Mr Bear often decides he wants my rabbit hat and mitts too much and puts an end to it!

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

After doing more research into Shortwave (SW) radio, it appears you need a "transceiver" to send and a receiver to receive.  According to my research, transceivers take too much power to be handheld.  So, maybe this isn't a way to communicate, but just to listen to broadcasts from other areas.  If so, this could dramatically affect some of our other theories about traders, rescue and such.

• 3 weeks later...

If there was a rescue option, maybe it would come into play after a fuzzy-but-long amount of time, as the rest of the world adapts to and recovers from the Quiet Apocalypse.  Like, building on Jeff's idea, you'd find a manual that would give you a diagram, then scour the island for suitable parts.  You put it together and get occasional bits and pieces of broadcasts from around the world.  Eventually it becomes clear that shipping is starting back up at a small scale, but nothing near GBI yet.  Around day 500-700, you hear that the navy (or UN or whatever) is sending sailing ships up and down the coast, and maybe get a general range of when a ship will pass by Desolation Point. 

The gameplay ends up like a combination of Hopeless Rescue and Whiteout:  You have to hole up in the lighthouse and watch the horizon for sails; they'll be in visual range for less than a day, so you have to make a big stash of supplies to keep you alive while keeping watch.  When you see the sails, you fire a flare from the lighthouse and a small boat comes to pick you up. 

But I think the key would be to really push it out in time: you'd have to survive for at least a year or two before it even becomes an option.  That would add a narrative goal to the later parts of the game, when things can otherwise start to feel a little repetitive.  I find that most of my survival runs tend to peter out after 200-400 days, when I feel like I've gotten comfortable.  A legitimately long-term goal might help keep it fresh.

On the other hand, I also very much like the open-ended, no-way-out vibe of Survival games, and the ennui is part of the challenge.  Maybe it should be a Challenge game, to keep the Survival gameplay pure, but ideally with customizable difficulties....  Fun to think about, anyway. 

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

I love this! I don't think it would be a good idea to bring in, I think The Long Dark is what it is, but maybe if it were something a bit separate like a (very extensive) mod or side mode like the challenges are. The game play you describe sounds very fun indeed, exactly my kind of thing.

20 hours ago, Rusty said:

If there was a rescue option, maybe it would come into play after a fuzzy-but-long amount of time, as the rest of the world adapts to and recovers from the Quiet Apocalypse.  Like, building on Jeff's idea, you'd find a manual that would give you a diagram, then scour the island for suitable parts.  You put it together and get occasional bits and pieces of broadcasts from around the world.  Eventually it becomes clear that shipping is starting back up at a small scale, but nothing near GBI yet.  Around day 500-700, you hear that the navy (or UN or whatever) is sending sailing ships up and down the coast, and maybe get a general range of when a ship will pass by Desolation Point. 

The gameplay ends up like a combination of Hopeless Rescue and Whiteout:  You have to hole up in the lighthouse and watch the horizon for sails; they'll be in visual range for less than a day, so you have to make a big stash of supplies to keep you alive while keeping watch.  When you see the sails, you fire a flare from the lighthouse and a small boat comes to pick you up. 

But I think the key would be to really push it out in time: you'd have to survive for at least a year or two before it even becomes an option.  That would add a narrative goal to the later parts of the game, when things can otherwise start to feel a little repetitive.  I find that most of my survival runs tend to peter out after 200-400 days, when I feel like I've gotten comfortable.  A legitimately long-term goal might help keep it fresh.

On the other hand, I also very much like the open-ended, no-way-out vibe of Survival games, and the ennui is part of the challenge.  Maybe it should be a Challenge game, to keep the Survival gameplay pure, but ideally with customizable difficulties....  Fun to think about, anyway. 

I think this scenario would be perfect for a larger challenge.  I've said before, I am not in favor of having an "ending" to survival sandbox.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I think I'd be more interested in a "pseudo-co-op" kind of situation. 🤭
Specifically, I mean just playing TLD with folks connected/communicating via Discord/Skype or whatever VoIP/IM application. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Have you checked out Neebs  gaming on ytube?  That seems how they play it.  

• Upvote 2

@Leeanda

Yes, and I was surprised to see TLD on their channel but delighted that Apsro mentioned it being among his favorite survival games.
I've not had a chance to sit down and watch all their episodes of it yet... but it's certainly on my list.

I'm especially curious to see how much punishment Simon's survivor will have to endure... 🤭 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

Yes, and I was surprised to see TLD on their channel but delighted that Apsro mentioned it being among his favorite survival games.
I've not had a chance to sit down and watch all their episodes of it yet... but it's certainly on my list.

I'm especially curious to see how much punishment Simon's survivor will have to endure... 🤭 

I won't answer that last bit....spoilers😁

• Upvote 1

On 10/27/2022 at 10:49 AM, Leeanda said:

If we can fall through the ice I'm sure a boat could make it..  Astrid did and that boat should've been smashed to pieces..  

Plus we don't know how far away the mainland is.

We do know that in Wintermute, Will flew from the mainland to the island, so it was in range of his small plane.  Not saying a boat would be impossible, but it seems to me that a plane would be more likely.