Handheld Shortwave

On 10/31/2022 at 7:19 AM, hozz1235 said:

After doing more research into Shortwave (SW) radio, it appears you need a "transceiver" to send and a receiver to receive.  According to my research, transceivers take too much power to be handheld.  So, maybe this isn't a way to communicate, but just to listen to broadcasts from other areas.  If so, this could dramatically affect some of our other theories about traders, rescue and such.

Good point.  If it involves the trader, it may just be a way of him announcing what region he might be found in within so many days.  Then, if we want to encounter him to trade, we would plan to head into that zone to meet up with him (or to avoid if we don't).  Personally, I still hope the radio isn't involved where the trader is concerned... I'd really prefer random, chance encounters (that is, if the trader is going to be found at all outside the DLC area).

Maybe the handheld shortwave is just for warning us of impending bad weather (or maybe new tremors or other apparent random dangers - rogue animals or other enemies).

I'd tend to think that the Handheld Shortwave will most likely just act as a receiver for various "beacons"/waypoints... (perhaps even tied into the "three narrative-driven Tales")

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I don't mind saying that I'm not really fond of the idea of more navigation aids.
I'm also not sure I like the idea of the narrative-driven tales leaking into the survival sandbox.
so... if my suppositions turn out to be correct, they will likely both be aspects of the expansion that I'll opt not to use/interact with.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I'd tend to think that the Handheld Shortwave will most likely just act as a receiver for various "beacons"/waypoints... (perhaps even tied into the "three narrative-driven Tales")

I don't mind saying that I'm not really fond of the idea of more navigation aids.
I'm also not sure I like the idea of the narrative-driven tales leaking into the survival sandbox.
so... if my suppositions turn out to be correct, they will likely both be aspects of the expansion that I'll opt not to use/interact with.

This does seem the most likely now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

We do know that in Wintermute, Will flew from the mainland to the island, so it was in range of his small plane.  Not saying a boat would be impossible, but it seems to me that a plane would be more likely.

Surely the aurora would be a problem for planes?  Isn't that what brought wills down in the first place? 

Perhaps also consider that the First Flair may have surged so hard as to melt/fry more sensitive electrical components...  Which in my mind explains why all the cars are just dead.  Things like chips/solenoid starters/etc... simply may not have been able to survive that first flare and have been deadlined as a result. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Surely the aurora would be a problem for planes?  Isn't that what brought wills down in the first place? 

However, if the concept is that the rescue plane is coming from the mainland, the damage done by the previous aurora that brought down Will's plane isn't necessarily a factor... unless one actually happens again as the rescue is being launched.

12 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

However, if the concept is that the rescue plane is coming from the mainland, the damage done by the previous aurora that brought down Will's plane isn't necessarily a factor... unless one actually happens again as the rescue is being launched.

Presuming the mainland isn't as bad as great bear and that they have the resources to fix the planes. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Perhaps also consider that the First Flair may have surged so hard as to melt/fry more sensitive electrical components...  Which in my mind explains why all the cars are just dead.  Things like chips/solenoid starters/etc... simply may not have been able to survive that first flare and have been deadlined as a result. 

Which should fry everything with chips in,including radios and walkie talkies.. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Presuming the mainland isn't as bad as great bear and that they have the resources to fix the planes. 

Just not presuming that the aurora events on GBI are "global" events.  When will leaves the mainland, it's only snowing.  The water pipes are frozen and the hot plate is broken, but the lights in the hangar are working just fine.  It is entirely possible the mainland was never hit at all... electrically.

12 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Just not presuming that the aurora events on GBI are "global" events.  When will leaves the mainland, it's only snowing.  The water pipes are frozen and the hot plate is broken, but the lights in the hangar are working just fine.  It is entirely possible the mainland was never hit at all... electrically.

That's true.   Anythings possible in this game.🙂

Putting aside the mechanics or htls choice though, why do the radios only have one song on a loop.that must be coming from the mainland surely?   Actually I'm not sure why they work at all. But it is getting late and I'm tired.😁

Edited by Leeanda

16 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Which should fry everything with chips in,including radios and walkie talkies.. 

Possibly yes...  I know it's not a perfect explanation; but it's what I tell myself when I think about the vehicles and other small gasoline generators.
On the other hand... electronics properly grounded/E.M. shielded might have a chance of surviving the effects of the aurora (accounting for the occasional computer/laptop/radio that still sort of functions during said auroras).

Again it's not perfect, but it is sort of my headcanon.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Possibly yes...  I know it's not a perfect explanation; but it's what I tell myself when I think about the vehicles and other small gasoline generators.
On the other hand... electronics properly grounded/E.M. shielded might have a chance of surviving the effects of the aurora (accounting for the occasional computer or laptop that still sort of functions during said auroras).

It's not perfect, but again it's my head-cannon.

Well the safest place to be is supposed to be in a car during lightning strikes so they should  in theory work..  that's my logic anyway but this game does need random theories to explain a lot of things.😊 

• Upvote 1