Silent Fury...

ManicManiac

Fantastic photography Maniac! You've inspired me to actually do something (I.e. share) the multitude of screenshots I take instead of deleting them.

And yes, that damned fog. I got stuck in the Cabin Office for a full day on my way back, encumbered, from PV with all my loot. So close to my Trapper's snug. Really annoying. Just glad I wasn't out in it.

May you have beautiful crisp clear days with little wind and no blizzards!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Glad to see you back🙂.   

Welcome to pv😁.  You might need to get used to that weather following you though..... 

Does that really happen? Really really? I've just come back home to ML after a few weeks in PV as a central point for a few loot jaunts to TWM, CH & DP. The weather on getting back to ML has been *awful*!

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

Does that really happen? Really really? I've just come back home to ML after a few weeks in PV as a central point for a few loot jaunts to TWM, CH & DP. The weather on getting back to ML has been *awful*!

Technically it's debatable but some of us have noticed it quite often..  in this case though the odds are pretty high. PV is famous for its blizzards and keepers pass N and S both seem to be getting the same reputation. 

• Upvote 1

@Sgt Socks

Generally, I'd say no not really... sometimes I think the RNG is just a bit cruel.

I did run into a streak of horrible blizzards that had me wondering if the weather had glitched out; because through each region the weather was still as foul as it was normally in Pleasant Valley.  However, I didn't get confirmation on whether that was an acknowledged glitch or just horrendously bad luck. :D 

But, I think a weather bug is still a possibility... just can't confirm.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Good to see you back !

About the weather - On my Loper 100 day in each region challenge i havent noticed weather "following" you around in any way. Each region has it's weather patterns and temperature ranges. I have succesfully lived 100 days without leaving the region in :

Mystery Lake, Mountain Town, Forlom Muskeg, Broken Railroad, Coastal Highway, Pleasant Valley, Timber Wolf Mountain, Bleak Inlet

You can have a 3 day str8 blizzard in Mystery Lake or a 4 days of nice weather in Pleasant Valley - its rly just RNG that works inside the weather patterns of the region.

From my experience the worst weather is in(i still havent lived 100 days in Ash canyon and HRV but i know the weather down there from pevious runs):

1. Bleak Inlet hands down - Very cold weather even when blue skies. Blizzard almost every day(almost as cold as in PV), windy as hell and wind changes direction fast.

2. Pleasant Valley - Very very cold morning blizzards up to - 64 degrees C. Foggy, cold overall but can be warm (-4 to -6) in the evening what does not happen in Bleak Inlet. Can also be 0 or +1 degrees C in the evening (if your gear gives you from 27 to 30 degrees protection)

3. Broken Railroad - a lot of cold blizzards, cold overall also during evenings.

The "best" weather :

1. Mystery Lake - highest temperatures, low temperature range is set to high. Blizzards that are not as cold - no problem if you want to go from camp office to trappers in a blizzard (ofc if you know the map well) you will not freeze fast. A lot of clear skies.

2. Mountain Town - similar to ML

3. Was thinking between CH and FM but i will have to say Forlom Muskeg - overall warm temperatures, a lot of clear skies. Yes fog from time to time but goes away fast and keeps the temp high.

About Blackrock Prison - Im currently living there and have to say the weather is just fine. Sure there are blizzards but not that much and not that cold. In the evening it can get warm and there are quite a lot of evenings whern temperature can get to the point im getting warm (2x bear coats ofc) and dont need fire at all. My opinion is Blackrock is actually easy region.

So in the end i would really look for things like "weather is following you" its just rng that works in weather limits for each region.

@James Hickok

Yes indeed, I know that each region has it's own sort of weather personality (so-to-speak), and I'm also aware that the RNG can just be cruel sometimes (I'd already said as much).  When I mentioned in the my previous chronicle that it felt like Pleasant Valley weather was following me... was by and large just a joking comment to illustrate how bad that streak of exceptionally bad weather was.  Though I also had to acknowledge that a bug was possible, I just couldn't get that confirmed one way or the other.  - which is why even now I acknowledge that as a possibility, even though it's most likely just very "bad luck."

Edited by ManicManiac
correcting a typo
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

@James Hickok

Yes indeed, I know that each region has it's own soft of weather personality (so-to-speak), and I'm also aware that the RNG can just be cruel sometimes (I'd already said as much).  When I mentioned in the my previous chronicle that it felt like Pleasant Valley weather was following me... was by and large just a joking comment to illustrate how bad that streak of exceptionally bad weather was.  Though I also had to acknowledge that a bug was possible, I just couldn't get that confirmed one way or the other.  - which is why even now I acknowledge that as a possibility, even though it's most likely just very "bad luck."

Okay.

Do You agree on the grading tho? Any insight?

7 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Good to see you back !

About the weather - On my Loper 100 day in each region challenge i havent noticed weather "following" you around in any way. Each region has it's weather patterns and temperature ranges. I have succesfully lived 100 days without leaving the region in :

Mystery Lake, Mountain Town, Forlom Muskeg, Broken Railroad, Coastal Highway, Pleasant Valley, Timber Wolf Mountain, Bleak Inlet

You can have a 3 day str8 blizzard in Mystery Lake or a 4 days of nice weather in Pleasant Valley - its rly just RNG that works inside the weather patterns of the region.

From my experience the worst weather is in(i still havent lived 100 days in Ash canyon and HRV but i know the weather down there from pevious runs):

1. Bleak Inlet hands down - Very cold weather even when blue skies. Blizzard almost every day(almost as cold as in PV), windy as hell and wind changes direction fast.

2. Pleasant Valley - Very very cold morning blizzards up to - 64 degrees C. Foggy, cold overall but can be warm (-4 to -6) in the evening what does not happen in Bleak Inlet. Can also be 0 or +1 degrees C in the evening (if your gear gives you from 27 to 30 degrees protection)

3. Broken Railroad - a lot of cold blizzards, cold overall also during evenings.

The "best" weather :

1. Mystery Lake - highest temperatures, low temperature range is set to high. Blizzards that are not as cold - no problem if you want to go from camp office to trappers in a blizzard (ofc if you know the map well) you will not freeze fast. A lot of clear skies.

2. Mountain Town - similar to ML

3. Was thinking between CH and FM but i will have to say Forlom Muskeg - overall warm temperatures, a lot of clear skies. Yes fog from time to time but goes away fast and keeps the temp high.

About Blackrock Prison - Im currently living there and have to say the weather is just fine. Sure there are blizzards but not that much and not that cold. In the evening it can get warm and there are quite a lot of evenings whern temperature can get to the point im getting warm (2x bear coats ofc) and dont need fire at all. My opinion is Blackrock is actually easy region.

So in the end i would really look for things like "weather is following you" its just rng that works in weather limits for each region.

I'm not quite sure how you think blackrock and coastal have good weather??🙂. I've cut many of my visits to both short because of the constant blizzards or thick fog and high winds.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'm not quite sure how you think blackrock and coastal have good weather??🙂. I've cut many of my visits to both short because of the constant blizzards or thick fog and high winds.  

From my personal experience. I've spent almost 400 days in Coastal highway in my Interloper runs and over 100 days in Blackrock.

Currentrly on day 25 in blackrock and again yesterday  i was roaming the region without a need to start a fire. In the evening it was warm +2 degrees (2 x bear coats and top clothing on interloper). Winds - sure there are some but not nearly as much as in Bleak Inlet. Even more winds in Coastal Highway than in Blackrock.

Region like Coastal higway where You have so many fishing huts and interiors that you can go in when blizzard hits wherever you are, tons of firewood and coal, tons of meat - i dont understand why you should cut visits short. CH is by far the best and easiest region to live indefinatelly. Blackrock very similar but with Timebr Wolf twist - lots of places when you can kill em tho while beeing safe (stnading on a bridge, standing in front of bricklayers retreat inside the brick wall and loads of more places). You never ever take on Timber Wolfs in open space - its asking for death. Other than that - its warm, blizzards are short, tons of wood, tons of meat. I miss a fishing hut but you cant have all.

Ofc this is just my experience playing the game on Interloper mode and above.

1 hour ago, James Hickok said:

From my personal experience. I've spent almost 400 days in Coastal highway in my Interloper runs and over 100 days in Blackrock.

Currentrly on day 25 in blackrock and again yesterday  i was roaming the region without a need to start a fire. In the evening it was warm +2 degrees (2 x bear coats and top clothing on interloper). Winds - sure there are some but not nearly as much as in Bleak Inlet. Even more winds in Coastal Highway than in Blackrock.

Region like Coastal higway where You have so many fishing huts and interiors that you can go in when blizzard hits wherever you are, tons of firewood and coal, tons of meat - i dont understand why you should cut visits short. CH is by far the best and easiest region to live indefinatelly. Blackrock very similar but with Timebr Wolf twist - lots of places when you can kill em tho while beeing safe (stnading on a bridge, standing in front of bricklayers retreat inside the brick wall and loads of more places). You never ever take on Timber Wolfs in open space - its asking for death. Other than that - its warm, blizzards are short, tons of wood, tons of meat. I miss a fishing hut but you cant have all.

Ofc this is just my experience playing the game on Interloper mode and above.

As you may  know I play custom pilgrim ,the only thing I've changed on this run though is the wind variables to low.only because I enjoy silent blizzards though. I have just spent two weeks in Coastal and I have had in total about 1.5 days of blue sky. The rest has been either heavy fog, fog with heavy snow or blizzards.  I had a two hour aurora, which nearly got me stuck in the mine🙂 most of my runs ,pilgrim or custom have been the same.  And I've been playing for about 3+ years.  

On the other side of that ,I think mountain town is the easiest weatherwise.  I've spent weeks there with only having one or two blizzards.  

Maybe youve just been lucky or I've been constantly unlucky but I doubt it.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

I'd agree with BI and PV being the worst weather wise, without a doubt.

However I would agree with Leeanda about CH. I've got 800+ hours with a lot of higher difficulty in there. The bloody fog and mist in CH can be a real challenge, even with a lot of shelters on the lower elevations. I really don't like CH for a lot of reasons, the weather being one of them. I'd rather be in PV any day, even with the greater risk of being caught in the open. Its more "predictably" bad in PV.

I have to say that for me FM is very similar to CH. Just had a very bad experience because of heavy persistent fog and it's far from being the first time. Add in the bear and wolf proliferation with few shelters/escapes, and of course the ice, and FM is one of my dreaded areas.

A lot, as always, depends on personal preferences and playing style of course.

• Upvote 2

On 9/12/2022 at 5:16 PM, ManicManiac said:

@James Hickok

When I mentioned in the my previous chronicle that it felt like Pleasant Valley weather was following me... was by and large just a joking comment to illustrate how bad that streak of exceptionally bad weather was.  Though I also had to acknowledge that a bug was possible, I just couldn't get that confirmed one way or the other.  - which is why even now I acknowledge that as a possibility, even though it's most likely just very "bad"

My dear Maniac, I am sticking to our (possibly) joke theory about PV weather following us. I've nearly just died in ML for goodness sake! Was exploring up by Clear Cut and got nearly two full days of blizzard and fog. OK so am playing custom with cold/increasing cold turned up but not the variability. I would have been most embarrassed to die in ML for this reason! Thank goodness for my Bearskin Bedroll.

If we go with The Great Bear Weather Gods being against us rather than "just bad luck" then we have something to rage against 😁

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Leeanda said:

As you may  know I play custom pilgrim ,the only thing I've changed on this run though is the wind variables to low.only because I enjoy silent blizzards though. I have just spent two weeks in Coastal and I have had in total about 1.5 days of blue sky. The rest has been either heavy fog, fog with heavy snow or blizzards.  I had a two hour aurora, which nearly got me stuck in the mine🙂 most of my runs ,pilgrim or custom have been the same.  And I've been playing for about 3+ years.  

On the other side of that ,I think mountain town is the easiest weatherwise.  I've spent weeks there with only having one or two blizzards.  

Maybe youve just been lucky or I've been constantly unlucky but I doubt it.

Ive been playing TLD for 3+ years as well - Joined the forums recently tho.

1.5 days of clear skies in 2 weeks is bad luck for sure. I would agree on the fact that it can change from clear skies to blizzard very fast BUT its still not that cold in the evenings. I really like CH - maybe bcoz i know the map so well. Fog doesnt bother me - in most cases fog brings warm weather> even when im in the open frozen sea when i loose my track for some reason i just go str8 till i reach the shore or stumble upon one of many fishing huts or other point of interest. If not just go to shore and check whick side is the shore on -=> left or right. Then you know where to go. If wolf comes we have torches and flares for that.

About Blackrock - Ive made some videos yesterday showing how warm it can be. How long you can cook without any wind or wind changes etc. Interloper day 850+ so maxed out the weather conditions ages ago. Ill post them today after i get back from work for You to see. Ill do the same with CH when i finish Blackrock 100 days.

1 hour ago, James Hickok said:

Ive been playing TLD for 3+ years as well - Joined the forums recently tho.

1.5 days of clear skies in 2 weeks is bad luck for sure. I would agree on the fact that it can change from clear skies to blizzard very fast BUT its still not that cold in the evenings. I really like CH - maybe bcoz i know the map so well. Fog doesnt bother me - in most cases fog brings warm weather> even when im in the open frozen sea when i loose my track for some reason i just go str8 till i reach the shore or stumble upon one of many fishing huts or other point of interest. If not just go to shore and check whick side is the shore on -=> left or right. Then you know where to go. If wolf comes we have torches and flares for that.

About Blackrock - Ive made some videos yesterday showing how warm it can be. How long you can cook without any wind or wind changes etc. Interloper day 850+ so maxed out the weather conditions ages ago. Ill post them today after i get back from work for You to see. Ill do the same with CH when i finish Blackrock 100 days.

Well one of use definitely gets lousy luck then😁.  

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree on coastal. In fairness blackrock was pretty hard last time I spent a while there but It was my naked challenge.. boy was it cold🙂

• Upvote 2

Just now, James Hickok said:

Lets agree to disagree then 🙃

Nah..😁  just kidding.😁

Seriously though I think you're just lucky And I'm unlucky.  Already had a few weird bugs on this new run so it's not surprising.🙂 

It'd be a boring world if everyone agreed on everything though wouldn't it. 

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

@Sgt Socks

Still working getting back to a more regular schedule so I can have meaningful sessions again. 🤭
Real-life stuff is taking up what free time I might have right now (or needing to spend that free time resting).

The run itself has been great.  Nearing the end, I suppose.  If I can get Keeper's Pass and Blackrock "fully" mapped, I think I'll call it complete at that point.  I haven't decided yet, if I'm going to just turn the sound back on after that point... or just start another fresh run.

I suppose I'll be thinking on it some more.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Still working getting back to a more regular schedule so I can have meaningful sessions again. 🤭
Real-life stuff is taking up what free time I might have right now (or needing to spend that free time resting).

If you don’t mind my prying, just what is all this real-life stuff that you have going on?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

@Sgt Socks

The run itself has been great.  Nearing the end, I suppose.  If I can get Keeper's Pass and Blackrock "fully" mapped, I think I'll call it complete at that point.  I haven't decided yet, if I'm going to just turn the sound back on after that point... or just start another fresh run.

I suppose I'll be thinking on it some more.

That damn real life stuff, it has a nasty habit of getting in the way of our escapades in Great Bear.   

Well I shall eagerly await news whether it be a continuation or a new adventures.  Stay well.

🧡

• Upvote 2

@conanjaguar

Suffice to say (I think), that it's been a difficult year for me (the specific reasons don't matter so much for the purposes of the forum)... and it doesn't show signs of improving, or the pace slowing down anytime soon; but I'm working on it.

I've only alluded to it in previous posts when I've been (more or less) forced to go for long stretches without activity here.

Mostly, I do this to let folks who kindly read along with my adventures/misadventures.  To let folks know that I've not abandoned the run (or the forum), but that I'm just tangled up in real-life matters that take up so much of my time that it leaves little room for gamming sessions... let alone chronicling them as I like to do.

I missing having a the free time to be able to escape to Great Bear Island on a reasonably regular basis... unfortunately I just don't have that for the time being.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I'd be happy to have feedback on it also. :)
If you've read along so far... what do you think? 
Let the run end and start a new... or just turn the sound back on and carry on? 

I have indeed read from the beginning, was keeping an eye on it even before I joined.  I thought the challenge of playing as a deaf survivor (or indeed player) was fantastic, and brave!  Especially playing at the difficulty level you do, I'm amazed at how you handle the hostile wildlife given the restrictions from the lack of hearing.  Which in this game is massive.

This is a difficult question to answer though.  You've had a blast on this run and have obviously learned a lot too, having to rely purely on sight and vigilance.  I guess it depends on whether you *feel* you want to continue or start something new?  Whether you feel you have achieved what you wanted to without sound?  Whether you would rather continue with the current run into a more "dwelling" stage, or whether you would rather start again with the ability to enjoy the full experience again?

You don't have to abandon the run or allow your survivor to fade into The Long Dark if you're not sure though.  You could always start another and come back to this if you found that you did want to continue with it.

Sorry, that's not much help is it! I guess it is a case of only you knowing the answer. I'll happily join you in whatever you do, I really like your way of reporting your run with pictures and description.

PS You, Leeanda and Conan have inspired me to start documenting my new run, it's not a huge "challenge" run so may not be of interest but you'd be more than welcome to pop in for a brew...  The Encumbered Diaries - Part One

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2