Silent Fury...

ManicManiac

22 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I'd noticed that earlier this morning.  I've not had a chance to read it yet... but I certainly intend to. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I love that more folks are chronicling their adventures. 🌞

Oh please don't worry MM, I know real life is encroaching on your time. You will be welcome anytime my friend, a hot cup of Hinterland Coffee will be waiting for you 😊

I would never have thought about chronicling my adventures, but @Leeanda gave me the confidence with her kind comments, and you and @conanjaguar inspired me. So I have to thank you sir!

Plus I'm hatching up a side challenge to take on when I need a break from my epic long term quest. The plan is 50 days in Ash Canyon, settings yet to be decided upon. I'll never be able to undertake the level of your challenges or Conan's, but I certainly intend to make my learning the region a fresh and exciting journey while my other self dwells quietly in ML for a while.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's been a few weeks...  Finally able to get back to Great Bear Island.

20220910211922_1.thumb.jpg.d82611855d4eac5dc5e464881146f37d.jpg
I had to wait out the storm, holing-up in the small barn at the Pleasant Valley Farmstead.
I'm not sure why I was surprised... but the following morning (when I was resolute to get to Keeper's Pass and start making forward progress again) I stepped outside to find another blizzard must have kicked up overnight.  In typical Pleasant Valley fashion, the blizzard would persist the entire day.

With little to else to work on, I did end up having to pass the time and check on the weather every few hours.  However, I soon had to resign myself to spending another night there out in the barn.

20221001193607_1.thumb.jpg.44f632f89398b581677f2ca814cb70c2.jpg
Early the next morning, I found the weather was still a bit rough (the possibility of another back-to-back blizzard was certainly possible) but I decided to press on and hope for the weather to clear as I made my way towards Keeper's Pass.  As the sign suggested... I would procced with caution.

As I approached the Long Curve, the weather had indeed cleared.  I only stopped off to search through the car there by the roadside and the unfortunate soul I found a little further onward.
20221001195418_1.thumb.jpg.443d91ea8706707ff0237b465c406d60.jpg
Only came away with a torch and bag of jerky found in the pack.

Just ahead is the road through Keeper's Pass...
20221001195522_1.thumb.jpg.191f292ee27b043a5b163c0cb9efdfa1.jpg

I don't have much for charcoal (I only had 4 pieces on hand).  Since one of the goals is to try and "fully" map Keeper's Pass, finding a good spot for an initial encampment will need to be an immediate concern (second to keeping a sharp eye out for wolves, timber wolves, and bears that is).  I've had very little exposure to this corner of Great Bear Island... I'm not sure what to expect, or precisely what I will find here.

I carefully approached the vehicle I'd spotted from the end of the Long Curve.  I didn't find much in the car; nothing in the trunk and just a candy bar in the glovebox.  I scouted a head a little further before returning to the car to get the first bit of the area surveyed.  Afterward I made my way across the bridge (only finding a ragged pair of fleece mittens in the truck).
20221001200545_1.thumb.jpg.baff282d2d4ec800fd83dfc6bab71a02.jpg

It was about midday by the time I'd finished surveying from the bridge.  I was tempted to make my way down the river to see what I might find.  However, I had to quickly stifle that inclination.  I have to find a suitable encampment first.  At the very least, a good place for an eventual long burn; in order to build up more charcoal.

As I made my way further up the road, I was surprised.  The area seemed quieter and more hospitable than I had expected.
20221001201313_1.thumb.jpg.49c49158af6f4930e5cde791b02c3848.jpg
I hadn't caught sight of any hostile wildlife, and this trailer seemed a good spot to setup an encampment.  In front of the trailer, I even found a fire-barrel.  I dropped the rather heavy load of sticks I'd gathered up on my way through PV right next to the barrel and set about the task of searching through the nearby cars.

(Not being able to hear the world around me, makes complacency on Great Bear Island very dangerous)
20221001201849_1.thumb.jpg.aa3489dc16c73259f70209f034de4d2a.jpg
Very quickly, I'd been reminded that just because I didn't see any hostile wildlife when I had done by quick scouting around... doesn't mean it's not present.  This wolf had apparently been tracking towards me... it was only by fortunes' sweet smile that there was a rabbit there to entice and sate its ravenous intent.  Where it not for that rabbit, this would have been my second mauling for the run.  Clearly, I need to be watching my back more carefully. 🤭

20221001203622_1.thumb.jpg.02f451792ebdc244f04fd0e1f8ae14d9.jpg
I had a quick look around the corner, but as evening was drawing; I decided it would probably be wiser to just hole-up here for the evening rather than trying to push ahead.  I'd need to get that fire barrel going with a 12-hour fire for starters if I was going to be able to start mapping in earnest. 

Not a lengthy session... but hopefully a good foothold for to start working on this last leg of my little personal challenge.  That wolf was a nice reminder not to get comfortable.  Hard to believe I hadn't spotted it when I was first looking around the area.  Clearly Keeper's Pass is going to be a place I need to be especially vigilant. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

Just now, ManicManiac said:
  Hide contents

I know it's been a few weeks...  Finally able to get back to Great Bear Island.

20220910211922_1.thumb.jpg.d82611855d4eac5dc5e464881146f37d.jpg
I had to wait out the storm, holing-up in the small barn at the Pleasant Valley Farmstead.
I'm not sure why I was surprised... but the following morning (when I was resolute to get to Keeper's Pass and start making forward progress again) I stepped outside to find another blizzard must have kicked up overnight.  In typical Pleasant Valley fashion, the blizzard would persist the entire day.

With little to else to work on, I did end up having to pass the time and check on the weather every few hours.  However, I soon had to resign myself to spending another night there out in the barn.

20221001193607_1.thumb.jpg.44f632f89398b581677f2ca814cb70c2.jpg
Early the next morning, I found the weather was still a bit rough (the possibility of another back-to-back blizzard was certainly possible) but I decided to press on and hope for the weather to clear as I made my way towards Keeper's Pass.  As the sign suggested... I would procced with caution.

As I approached the Long Curve, the weather had indeed cleared.  I only stopped off to search through the car there by the roadside and the unfortunate soul I found a little further onward.
20221001195418_1.thumb.jpg.443d91ea8706707ff0237b465c406d60.jpg
Only came away with a torch and bag of jerky found in the pack.

Just ahead is the road through Keeper's Pass...
20221001195522_1.thumb.jpg.191f292ee27b043a5b163c0cb9efdfa1.jpg

I don't have much for charcoal (I only had 4 pieces on hand).  Since one of the goals is to try and "fully" map Keeper's Pass, finding a good spot for an initial encampment will need to be an immediate concern (second to keeping a sharp eye out for wolves, timber wolves, and bears that is).  I've had very little exposure to this corner of Great Bear Island... I'm not sure what to expect, or precisely what I will find here.

I carefully approached the vehicle I'd spotted from the end of the Long Curve.  I didn't find much in the car; nothing in the trunk and just a candy bar in the glovebox.  I scouted a head a little further before returning to the car to get the first bit of the area surveyed.  Afterward I made my way across the bridge (only finding a ragged pair of fleece mittens in the truck).
20221001200545_1.thumb.jpg.baff282d2d4ec800fd83dfc6bab71a02.jpg

It was about midday by the time I'd finished surveying from the bridge.  I was tempted to make my way down the river to see what I might find.  However, I had to quickly stifle that inclination.  I have to find a suitable encampment first.  At the very least, a good place for an eventual long burn; in order to build up more charcoal.

As I made my way further up the road, I was surprised.  The area seemed quieter and more hospitable than I had expected.
20221001201313_1.thumb.jpg.49c49158af6f4930e5cde791b02c3848.jpg
I hadn't caught sight of any hostile wildlife, and this trailer seemed a good spot to setup an encampment.  In front of the trailer, I even found a fire-barrel.  I dropped the rather heavy load of sticks I'd gathered up on my way through PV right next to the barrel and set about the task of searching through the nearby cars.

(Not being able to hear the world around me, makes complacency on Great Bear Island very dangerous)
20221001201849_1.thumb.jpg.aa3489dc16c73259f70209f034de4d2a.jpg
Very quickly, I'd been reminded that just because I didn't see any hostile wildlife when I had done by quick scouting around... doesn't mean it's not present.  This wolf had apparently been tracking towards me... it was only by fortunes' sweet smile that there was a rabbit there to entice and sate its ravenous intent.  Where it not for that rabbit, this would have been my second mauling for the run.  Clearly, I need to be watching my back more carefully. 🤭

20221001203622_1.thumb.jpg.02f451792ebdc244f04fd0e1f8ae14d9.jpg
I had a quick look around the corner, but as evening was drawing; I decided it would probably be wiser to just hole-up here for the evening rather than trying to push ahead.  I'd need to get that fire barrel going with a 12-hour fire for starters if I was going to be able to start mapping in earnest. 

Not a lengthy session... but hopefully a good foothold for to start working on this last leg of my little personal challenge.  That wolf was a nice reminder not to get comfortable.  Hard to believe I hadn't spotted it when I was first looking around the area.  Clearly Keeper's Pass is going to be a place I need to be especially vigilant. 

Nice to see you had time to play🙂.  

Welcome to keepers pass ...😁

• Upvote 1

@ManicManiac

So good to see you playing again!

I have today been stuck in that little PV barn as well 🙂 At least PV weather is consistently bad so you know to watch out for it.  I can imagine not being able to hear the weather sounds is quite challenging.

I am so excited to see Keeper's Pass, I haven't been there yet.  I am definitely appreciative of the forewarning about the region.  I admire you for doing it without hearing - I find it hard to cope with the shocks of the hostile wildlife attacks with hearing, I'd be a gibbering wreck without!

I love the photo of the wolf munching on the bunny, gotta love those moments of good grace from the Great Bear Gods!

Really looking forward to seeing more of your Keeper's jolly.

• Upvote 2

I did get a short session in yesterday, but it didn't amount to much.
Mostly just a long burn (12 hour fire at the burn-barrel) for water and charcoal.

I did also get a chance to better get to know the area around the trailer I'm staying in.  I found that the wolf from earlier, has apparently just been skulking around Mirthless Fork.  As I mapped and explored the road branching off the left of the fork, I had a chance to get a better vantage goating up a rock formation at the end of the little roundabout leading back toward Mirthless Fork.  I sat a while of the smaller rock formation and was able to better watch the wolf wander.  As it turns out, where it had snagged the rabbit just sort on it's wandering path.  Considering how far along the road the wolf wonders, I very likely would have been taken by surprise had the rabbit not been there to occupy the wolf.

After waiting overnight for the fire to go out (and a rather respectable water supply), I picked up the 12 pieces of charcoal left in the fire-barrel and did just a little more mapping to the other side of the bridge.  It also gave me a more complete idea how large a territory the Mirthless Fork wolf wanders.  I didn't pay too much attention to the river, but I do plan on fully exploring that area before moving on down the road.

I came across a short climb leading down to a farther reaching expanse.  I'm not sure if I should finish scouting the road first... or see were this branching path leads.  I suppose I'll have  to think on that some more.

For being only the first half of a two-part transition zone, it feels more intricate that I was expecting. :D

Edited by ManicManiac
Fixing typos
  • Upvote 3

@ManicManiac

Very sensible taking time to watch wolfie's wanderings. It certainly does sound like a mini region rather than a simple transition zone. Although the pesky lupine sounds like he'd make me jump. I haven't set foot in Keeper's yet, and with yours and @Leeandadescription of it, makes me rather reluctant! Always takes me a while to venture into new territory.

But I'm really enjoying hearing about it from you. Thank you for such wonderful descriptions 🙂

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

I've been bogged down by real-life stuff again. ¬¬
Not sure when I'll get another meaningful session in... but I wanted to let folks know that I'm not abandoning the run.

Silent Fury will continue.

Bless you MM.

We'll be here, brew waiting! 🧡

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I've been bogged down by real-life stuff again. ¬¬
Not sure when I'll get another meaningful session in... but I wanted to let folks know that I'm not abandoning the run.

Silent Fury will continue.

I shall look forward to reading it ,whenever it is. I'm sure we all understand that life gets in the way sometimes.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

With the news of the expansion on the way... I guess if I want to get Silent Fury "finished" I'm just going to have to make time.  🤭

Wellll... yup! It's a good excuse to elbow inconsiderate real life out of the way 😁😉

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

guess if I want to get Silent Fury "finished" I'm just going to have to make time.

Or use time.....capsule.

If you can't finish the run then I'm sure people will understand.  I doubt anyone expects you to put everything else aside to finish this.   Yes it'll be a shame but there will be plenty of time later for new runs and adventures.  Ones which I for one will enjoy reading,whenever they happen.🙂

• Upvote 2

This is fair enough M 🙂 I can't blame you for wanting to keep them. I hope for your peace of mind you are able to "finish" Silent Fury, but if you can't? Well. Real life does rather come first (as do you, I don't want your head exploding trying to do it all 🧡)

• Upvote 1

Just so you know...I love this...this is essentially how I play...earbuds or bluetooth headphones engaged for recording but not in my ears.

Also just so you know...I've also played a LOT of Time Capsule lately...and not lost any badges.

In fact I lost a badge or two the first time...a while back...but got them back by playing a Pilgrim save in which I had used all of my most important badges. But in the many times I've played in the Time Capsule since then...I have not lost a badge. It seems to be much, much more stable.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

It seems clear that I won't be able to carve out the time to "finish" the goals for this run before the expansion releases.
The more I look back over the chronicle of this run, I find that I think I proved to myself it's perfectly feasible for me to survive and thrive in a Great Bear Island without sound and having to rely purely on visual input. 🤭

I'm not sure that I'll even be able to get started with the expansion on launch day... but I hope to get to exploring relatively soon after.  There is a chance that if my save is still good after the 5th, that I could return to Silent Fury.

I never intended to abandon the run, but the impending release has seemingly forced the issue.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

The update isn't compulsory but if you feel you've done what you wanted to achieve then that's all that matters.😊.  We all understand time constraints and that life takes priority so whatever makes you happy is the important thing.  I will look forward to reading whatever you post, whenever you post.🙂

• Upvote 3

I think you've made the right decision. As you say, you have more than shown that you can survive without hearing (a hell of an achievement by the way). 

There is always the Time Capsule option should you want to continue.

I would be proud of your achievements here, and it makes sense to create space for exploring and experiencing all the new things.

I'll be here by the campfire whenever you can stop by and will happily listen to any story you have to tell.

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 4