Silent Fury...

ManicManiac

...Well... The last two days were a total bust.

After returning from the Cannery Worker Residence, I milled around the yard at the cannery rechecking every nook and cranny I could think of.  I didn't necessarily expect to find a knife (I know I checked pretty thoroughly the first time), but I wanted to check again anyway.  I whiled away some time that way, and eventually returned to the breakroom to bed down.

Early the next morning I was scouting around a little more.  I revisited the Trailers just further down the road from the cannery.  While taking a closer look around there (and onwards to check out the collapsed bridge & abandoned truck), I finally found the two other missing wolves that I'd wounded in the first onslaught.  One of them had to have run nearly a kilometer before dropping dead out on the ice.  Still don't like that I'm not able to harvest them all in time.
20220706183756_1.thumb.jpg.384226cf43e609cdd3fd8d7ec305cb3e.jpg
20220706183931_1.thumb.jpg.5052ecb54cd58713804abbc786c5fe27.jpg

That's when it occurred to me... on the way over to the cannery, I'd spotted some Washed-Out Trailers near the shore of the inlet.  At the time I was freezing to death, so I hadn't stopped there.  I decided I would make a last-ditch effort to find a knife/hatchet/hacksaw before heading back to work my way up to the second floor of the adjacent cannery building (and likely another timber wolf incursion).  I carefully crept down to the shore of the inlet and crossed along the ice.  I kept low, just in case... I'd spotted a pack wandering up the slopes there a couple of days back.

I took my time searching around the area and inside the only tailer not completely ruined.  Unfortunately, I found no knife (or any other cutting edge).
20220706184658_1.thumb.jpg.0afe5a4e6bbfe35a0b44e5728834333c.jpg
20220706184854_1.thumb.jpg.62c0e0f60c09dffd72247f09353620c6.jpg
20220706184848_1.thumb.jpg.06cc13cab769498c4d12f24a491a4447.jpg
20220706185536_1.thumb.jpg.8c46718e1ec8e145b5759e581c9416eb.jpg

By the time I got back to cannery, and aurora had started.  There was one lone Timber Wolf still milling around the area... so I quickly went inside the cannery breakroom for the night.  The last thing I needed (knowing my luck) was for the aurora to super charge it, and it decide to get brave.  Even on its own it would be a very real threat.  The only reason I haven't sought to take it down, is because as long as it was alone... it hasn't realized that. :D 
20220706190224_1.thumb.jpg.fa437afb41093b68fd98af65ecefbeb6.jpg
20220706190451_1.thumb.jpg.176d3196066b4ccd7ba19a05a8f9a05b.jpg

I slept soundly through the night... but when I woke, I woke to a horribly angry blizzard.  I quickly found out that the cannery doesn't provide hardly any isolation against a blizzard.  I held out for as long as I could, but when I started freezing, I had to sacrifice some firewood (several sticks, two cedars, and a piece of coal for extra heat). 
20220706191326_1.thumb.jpg.223754a6c85a924536d88010a0b48695.jpg

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Spent the last few hours prepping water... hoping the storm will pass before the fire goes out.  It didn't.  It's getting on into early evening and storm is still raging.  I haven't seen a storm last this long except for in Pleasant Valley.  Thankfully as the day went on, the baseline ambient temperature came up enough that my clothing is mostly sufficient to keep me warm as long as I keep that door closed.

After nightfall, though, that won't be the case.

(unrelated side note)

I really love all the little details we find along the way
20220706185707_1.thumb.jpg.d40c094dd844d7abac5d961d68927456.jpg
20220706185825_1.thumb.jpg.0ad346d610f9659f7390c654db618dc4.jpg
20220706194012_1.thumb.jpg.67a644beb4f13286c8e84580dc1a7606.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Im pretty sure there is a hacksaw inside the worlshop if you could open it. At least a big big chance to get it there.

I remember i once waited for 9 nights w8ting for aurora to hit and enter workshop. i waited in a small room with the fire barrel just before the workshop code doors. I had to hack all those wooden pallets outside to keep fire going but its easy bcoz of how much wood is there to harvest and you can shoot wolves from the pier without them beeing able to attack you. Just kill em all and jump down to harvest.

I hope ur luck turns !! I would suggest trying to go inside workshop when aurora hits. The wolf is easy to kill anyway if it spawns - hacksaw most likely will be there if you havent found it in BI yet.   Take care survivor !!

Edited by James Hickok
  • Like 1

Just now, conanjaguar said:

@ManicManiac

Don’t forget that the crates inside the cannery have (shudder) sardines! I hope you packed plenty of antibiotics and Reishi tea, because it seems that, in Bleak Inlet, your diet is going to be primarily Timberwolf meat and those biological weapons.

I found sardines in every single crate when I did my whiteout challenge!  Took quite a while chopping all that wood. 

Don't forget the bear and possible two moose running around. And fishing!

• Like 1

@James Hickok  Thank you.
I would have tried to make it over to the door the other night... but I didn't really want to trigger the full invasion (and have potentially 20 timber wolves to deal with). :D  However, no more distractions... once the blizzard abates I'm going clear the way to the workshop door.  Once that's done, I'll probably camp there until I can get it open... though I do have to go find the code first.  🤔 Hmm, I'd forgotten about that.

@conanjaguar 
I did bring some extra... but not a lot, still need to be careful (I have 10 pills... but as I think about it that wouldn't even really be enough to deal with intestinal parasites - looking back I probably should have brought at least 20 🤭).  I have quite a collection of those sardines already... and I've only really been able to search ground level and the second floor above the breakroom.  I've clearly been pretty lucky with sardines in the past, I'd never noticed a substantially greater rate of food poisoning with sardines... but goodness knows my luck hasn't been the best lately.  Extra caution us due, I agree with you.  As a general rule, until I get my iron stomach I'm wary of anything below 35%.  :D 

@Leeanda
You know, I've not broken down any crates or cardboard boxes yet on this run... I may need to consider starting.  I'd not had too much luck finding things inside them in the past.  I guess part of me also kind of likes leaving places like I found them... so I never do much tidying up.  Perhaps I need to start. 🤔

Yes... that's so true.  I do know I have at least one Moose, that would definitely fuel a lengthy sit in front of that door waiting for another aurora.  Though... as I think about it, I'd need to scout a safe route across the Frozen Delta first.  Last thing I need is to attract a pack of timber wolves while trying to haul 8 or 9 bags of moose meat back to the cannery with me. :D 

3 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@James Hickok  Thank you.
I would have tried to make it over to the door the other night... but I didn't really want to trigger the full invasion (and have potentially 20 timber wolves to deal with). :D  However, no more distractions... once the blizzard abates I'm going clear the way to the workshop door.  Once that's done, I'll probably camp there until I can get it open... though I do have to go find the code first.  🤔 Hmm, I'd forgotten about that.

@conanjaguar 
I did bring some extra... but not a lot, still need to be careful (I have 10 pills... but as I think about it that wouldn't even really be enough to deal with intestinal parasites - looking back I probably should have brought at least 20 🤭).  I have quite a collection of those sardines already... and I've only really been able to search ground level and the second floor above the breakroom.  I've clearly been pretty lucky with sardines in the past, I'd never noticed a substantially greater rate of food poisoning with sardines... but goodness knows my luck hasn't been the best lately.  Extra caution us due, I agree with you.  As a general rule, until I get my iron stomach I'm wary of anything below 35%.  :D 

@Leeanda
You know, I've not broken down any crates or cardboard boxes yet on this run... I may need to consider starting.  I'd not had too much luck finding things inside them in the past.  I guess part of me also kind of likes leaving places like I found them... so I never do much tidying up.  Perhaps I need to start. 🤔

Yes... that's so true.  I do know I have at least one Moose, that would definitely fuel a lengthy sit in front of that door waiting for another aurora.  Though... as I think about it, I'd need to scout a safe route across the Frozen Delta first.  Last thing I need is to attract a pack of timber wolves while trying to haul 8 or 9 bags of moose meat back to the cannery with me. :D 

There's always the bear. I've never seen any wolves anywhere near that area . Plus that roof is a really good sniper spot!🙂

I'm not sure if the crates would all contain loot on stalker but I reckon several would . And I'm sure the wood would come in handy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
Yes, that's very true... but the bear has the same problem for me as the timber wolf meat: Intestinal Parasites. 😖

Granted if I eat sparingly the risk is low, but I don't have a lot of antibiotics with me... so I'm not sure how much I'd like to gamble with it. 🤭

Oh yes, I forgot about the parasites. He does at least have a nice furry hide you could possibly use. 

How about fishing?  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
I believe so... there are some down here as well but they do have a tendency to get eaten by timber wolves with some fair bit of regularity if I remember correctly. :D 

Forgive my ignorance. The moose,bear and cannery wolves are the only animals I ever see at bleak. Upper bleak maybe two deer and one wolf but that's it! 

• Like 1

@Leeanda
At least as far as my last trip to Bleak Inlet, I remember some deer (as well as some rabbits) over by the cabin not far from the bottom of the climb.  I also remember the an occasional deer not too far from the end of the road (on the fallen light house side of Long Bridge, I mean).

Now that you bring it up... if the rope isn't there then I'd have to make the long trek around to enter from the Raven Falls Ravine side in order to get to Pensive Lookout and the Radio Station... I forgot about that.  Likely no rope will be there, since it's a "short cut" we have to setup ourselves.   ...forgot all about that.  Had I remembered, I probably would have just started there rather than retrace my steps.  However, I am glad that I did.  It was great seeing the spot I almost died at again. 🤭

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
At least as far as my last trip to Bleak Inlet, I remember some deer (as well as some rabbits) over by the cabin not far from the bottom of the climb.  I also remember the an occasional deer not too far from the end of the road (on the fallen light house side of Long Bridge, I mean).

Now that you bring it up... if the rope isn't there then I'd have to make the long trek around to enter from the Raven Falls Ravine side in order to get to Pensive Lookout and the Radio Station... I forgot about that.  Likely no rope will be there, since it's a "short cut" we have to setup ourselves.   ...forgot all about that.  Had I remembered, I probably would have just started there rather than retrace my steps.  However, I am glad that I did.  It was great seeing the spot I almost died at again. 🤭

I've seen deer carcasses on the ice near that cabin but no live ones for quite some time.  Just over the bridge..never that I can recall. Occasionally rabbits outside the cannery but again never anywhere else. Oh except one at the lighthouse now and again.  

That's a long trek to find and place a rope. I hope you get lucky and find one quickly.  It might help if you find a tool too on the way round.  Yet again this is pilgrim but I do find knives at the upper bleak hidey holes,if not the lookout. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

That's a long trek to find and place a rope. I hope you get lucky and find one quickly.  It might help if you find a tool too on the way round.

Also, yes.  Though if I do have to leave the zone to come at it from the ravine... I might just grab a knife from the Camp Office on the way.  Maybe it would be better to go get the code and a knife before finishing taking on the timber wolf incursion. 🤔

Maybe this blizzard was a gift in disguise.  Gong to have to think on it some more.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
You may be right... It has been a long time since my last visit; I may be mistaken.
I'll be in that neck of the woods shortly in the next few days and I will be sure to get snapshots of what ever wild life I spot along the way.

I appreciate the heads up.  Thank you.

Its probably just me and my weird bugs. You know what my runs are like😁.  I'm sure you've got more animals than I have. I'll be interested to see what you do get though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Also, yes.  Though if I do have to leave the zone to come at it from the ravine... I might just grab a knife from the Camp Office on the way.  Maybe it would be better to go get the code and a knife before finishing taking on the timber wolf incursion. 🤔

Maybe this blizzard was a gift in disguise.  Gong to have to think on it some more.

It would seem the better option as you've had no luck with a knife in bleak.  And you'd be better prepared if you have to spend time looking for a rope. 

• Like 1

@Leeanda

Yes, but I also have a fair bit in my pack that I've picked up along the way.  Food and water wise, I'm in a good place.  So there's going to be much less reliance on timber wolf meat. 🤭  Even so, if I have some more antibiotics stowed in places along the way, I'll likely gather them up just in case.

I appreciate the reminder about the rope... completely forgot about that.

• Like 1

I could learn a few lessons on being prepared without being 50kilos overweight.😁   How do you manage it? You're good at living with less. I panic if I have less than 4litres of water left! 

I usually have to haul that rope from the broken tower these days. Its been a while since it was in the carriage at the ravine. Which I find very disorientating inside.  

• Like 1

@Leeanda
I can certainly share what works for me.

I guess it all boils down to my bare essentials kit.
I generally don't bother lugging tools most of the time, because I can will usually go pick them up if I have a specific use for one.  I find I can get most of the firewood I need just by constantly collecting sticks or breaking down branches by hand, if need be.  I tend not to chop wood or pallets/crates because if I'm focused on gathering sticks I can usually find more than 80+ just wandering about for a good part of a day.  Plus visiting caves of course is a good way to pretty quickly build up a lot of burn-time via coal.

I tend to only carry one bandage and three unprocessed lichen.  I figure it's better carry what I would need to treat one mauling (purely as an emergency measure).  So I find I don't need to carry a lot of medical supplies.  I'm also pretty careful about food, so I don't tend to carry much more than maybe two or three doses of antibiotics (just in case I have bad luck and get food poisoning despite my caution - at least until I earn my iron stomach).

I will usually only carry maybe 10 cardboard matches, a torch, maybe 1 piece of emergency coal, firestriker (if I have one - mainly just to trigger the ignition source choice to avoid misclicks that waste matches when I have a torch in my hands), and a MagLens (if I can one).  I don't bother carrying around firewood since I'm pretty constantly collecting sticks as I go.  I will keep a minimum of 6-10 tinder plugs (at least until I don't need them anymore).

One or two sets of fishing tackle... for fishing and emergency mending.  Also for emergency mending I won't carry any more than 2-4 pieces of cloth and maybe 2 pieces of leather.  If I have to make extensive repairs... I'd most likely be at a stop-over point where I tend to keep all the extra supplies anyway.

I don't tend to carry weapons unless I know I want to go out on a hunt.  I find that stones serve me fine for distracting or running off wolves.  Plus I rely heavily on evade and avoid tactics.  Saves a lot of weight not having to carry around weapons and ammunition. 

For water, I like to build up my stocks at stop-over points.  I tend to only carry about two liters of water with me, as that is generally enough to keep me hydrated though the day and enough left over for a good night's sleep.  When I need more than that I tend to carry one (or maybe two) recycled cans.  That way when I find I'm short on water... I can use the sticks I'd been gathering, and get a fire going to replenish my water.

Those are some of my general strategies and rationale behind them.
Don't mean to tell you things you likely already know... but I figured I would walk through my reasoning anyway.

Hmm... yeah I'm not sure about where to pull a rope if one isn't waiting at Pensive Lookout, or if one isn't waiting at the Ravine to let me descend.  I almost never use the one's at the Mystery Lake Overlook... I may just take one or both of those.

• Like 1

Blimey that is light. Im probably carrying more weight than you just with the bear roll,rifle and ammo ,water and the 3 bear steaks.  Never mind all the other stuff!😁.   

I do carry the rifle always though as it's my only go to for bear and moose. Both of which are unpredictable and unreliable spawns these days.  I don't really eat any other animals.  

Thank you for sharing. I appreciate it. 🙂

I forget that you can walk up to that lookout. I'll have to try it when I'm next in mystery lake.   And use the ropes in future for the ravine instead of lugging the other one around.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Well... now that I realize I'd forgotten about needing to find the code before I can get that door open.

I've decided I'm going to have to go get that taken care of... so rather than continuing to clear the cannery of the timber wolf incursion, I'm going to make a hard push to go take care of that.  To do this I'm still going to do my best to go undetected by timber wolves outside of the cannery.

While I'm at it, I'm picking up a knife. :D 
It really bothers me that the other 5-6 felled timber wolves are going to waste.  I'm not having that anymore. 🤭
I was hoping to find a knife here... but now I'm just going to go get one while working my way back around to Raven Falls Ravine. 

I don't plan on stopping for anything short of weather and nightfall... so I'm hoping to be back in Bleak Inlet soon.

EieF4MHXYA0iSQ5.thumb.jpg.10650f96735fc5d250c8394df693c3a3.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1