The Encumbered Diaries - Part One

Sgt Socks

THE ENCUMBERED DIARIES - PART ONE - ENTRY 1

I am starting this diary of my current TLD run 50 days into the journey. ย I have only recently joined the forum and wasn't sure whether to write about my exploits, but a kind and lovely member commented that she liked reading about what I get up to and looking at my pictures, so I thought why the hell not.

The reason for the title? The Encumbered Diaries? Well, as you get to know me you will soon learn that I am a proud and committed loot goblin, and frequently carry everything *and* the kitchen sink! Much of my early runs are spent gathering loot and transporting it around the map to my two main hidey holes - PV Farm and ML Trapper's Cabin. It makes for a lot of slow walking and risking a dangerous encounter with hostile wildlife, but no matter how hard I try I can't stop gathering as much stuff as possible! In my defence, I always play the long game and you never know when you might be glad you kept that fifth hatchetย ๐Ÿ˜

I always play a custom game. In real life I have PTSD so jump scares wear on my greatly. It is why I stopped playing Stalker - over half of my 800+ hours were in that difficulty. As a result, I realised that I needed to adjust the wolf and timberwolf settings to keep me playing. I normally crank up the cold as well but on this occasion I have been more lenient with this as I want to focus on exploration and playing with a few mods which address areas I feel are severely lacking in the game.

This game:

* Wolves - Medium Amount, Far Spawn, Close Smell
* Timberwolves - None
* Bear & Moose - Very High
* Struggle settings - Medium difficulty
* Cold over time - Medium

You can look at my previous posts below which will tell you more about me and the mods I have chosen.

Introducing Sgt Socks

Mods Chosen

ย 

THE STORY SO FAR...

The current run is now at 50 days. I randomly began in Desolation Point and spent the beginning of the game gathering all the loot from here and Coastal Highway and transporting it to the Pleasant Valley side of the CH cave. Once I had done this, I decided to take the plunge and go for a first... the Technical Backpack! Mainly because I hadn't seen a Moose so hadn't been able to make the vital loot goblin satchel.ย 

Take a look at my posts here which will tell you more about my time in Ash Canyon and Timberwolf Mountain.

Coastal Highway

Everything and the kitchen sink

Ash Canyon & TWM - plus incredible aurora

ย 

PLEASANT VALLEY

After finally completing the epic slow walk down from AC and TWM, I have now been in PV for 19 days.

I began in my usual way, taking as much as I could from my PV-CH stash down to Thomson's and then moving a good portion down to the Farm. I then spent a couple of days at the Farm going through the house, repairing clothing and organising my stuff how I like it. Once this was done, I decided I was ready to start the epic move of my two stashes, one at PV-CH and the other at the Abandoned Prepper's Cache.

Unfortunately I got stuck at the house because of deep fog then a day long blizzard. I spent my time cooking the gazillion herbal teas I had brought from DP-CH-TWM-AC to help build up my cooking skill. ย At level 5 life is so much easier, being able to eat ruined food with no poisoining and predator meat with no parasites. Once the blizzard had finally passed I decided I would head up to the Barn on my way to Thomson's and the PV-CH stash.

I got stuck at the bloody barn for TWO DAYS. ย PV weather!!! It was a two day long blizzard and I was thankful I always carry "too much" food otherwise I would have been in a pickle. ย I finally emerged to one of the most gorgeous mornings I've seen and I couldn't help but spend some time looking round in wonder at the stunning sight. The next couple of days were spent transporting all the PV-CH stash down to Thomson's then in two quick runs, only slightly encumbered, back and forth to the farm. I have now finally completed this part of the move! Hoorah!

Diary Pt 01 - Entry 01 - 005.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

At the beginning of my time in PV, when I was moving down from TWM towards Thomson's I realised there was a bear spawn on the road just past the Derelict Cabins. ย It has been a long time since I've seen a bear spawn there and it scared the life out of me. ย I sneaked past him that time, but after my successful move of the first stash I decided it was time to move the second stash the Abandoned Cache. ย However, I didn't want to go up via Dodger's. ย I had a bee in my bonnet about that bear.

So I decided I would walk up through the birch forest, even though it creeps me out, and take out the bear to make the moving of stuff easier, especially as there is a tricky wolf up near the cabins. I was frustrated after the spell of ridiculous weather and the long slow walks.

Sooooo.... I wasn't as careful as I should have been. ย I had forgotten that this particular bear spawn is really tricky. ย If you don't manage to enter in the right way you can't get up high enough to get the bear without a struggle. ย I also didn't take my time. ย I decided to be an idiot and crouch down behind the wooden barrier and get him from there. ย I had also forgotten that crouching in this position simply shoots the wood not the bear! ย So my first shot simply alerted him and pissed him off. ย I stood up and managed to get two shots into him as he charged at me, hoping beyond hope I would get a critical shot. ย But alas, I was mauled and mauled good. As you can see in the picture he did some good damage.

I was angry and annoyed at both the bear at myself so I groggily stood up, bandaged my two bites and applied antiseptic. Then I retrieved my rifle. ย Blood boiling I wasn't going to let this bear get away with or, and I had to redeem myself, so I let him walk a little way off and shot him in the arse. Marvellous! ย Unfortunately this still wasn't enough and he didn't run off, he decided to charge again. ย Pooping my pants I fired, once, twice and.... DEAD! Finally bloody dead! I don't think I would have had time to get another shot in. And I would have been the dead one.

After recovering my breath I harvested his hide, and even though I needed the guts to craft my Moose satchel after getting the one in Ash Canyon, I knew I couldn't risk a wolf encounter as the likelihood of my survival was slim. ย So I carefully walked, flare at the ready up to the Abandoned Cache via the river then past Misty Falls. ย I managed to walk high enough up the banks to stay out the way of the two wolves and collapsed into the cache shaking with adrenaline and chastising myself for my stupidity. ย I spent a day at the cache regaining my condition, repairing and replacing my clothes. ย I lost my earwraps and couldn't replace them. ย I lost my toque but had a spare thankfully stashed in the locker. My snow pants were down to 38%, my insulated boots to 40% and my peacoat to 60%.

Finally I was ready to emerge again and gathered my stash ready for another long walk back to the Farm. ย Knowing the bear was gone I went back this way, turning towards the farm before I reached the derelict cabins and that wolf. Walking along I was excited because my Moose hide was now cured and I could make the satchel to go with the backpack! Then I realised I didn't have any cured guts.ย Therefore on returning to the farm I shot a deer, harvested everything and cooked up the meat to keep me away from the precious "not smelly to wolf food" for a little while.ย ย 

Diary Pt 01 - Entry 01 - 006.jpg

Diary Pt 01 - Entry 01 - 007.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Knowing the guts would take a little while to cure before I could make my satchel, I thought a little jolly up to Signal Hill was in order. ย There is usually some good loot there and I still needed to find a better jumper still only having one thin wool sweater and one decent wool sweater.

I took the route via the climbing rope just opposite Heartbreak Bridge. ย Knowing I had a bear spawn by the Derelict Cabins and the one which walks past the farm I didn't think there would be another here but wanted to check. ย There wasn't so I climbed up in safety.

I was happily walking along gathering lichen and sticks when I heard that tell tale growl. ย I don't normally have a problem with wolves here. ย I got out my flare just in case but managed to lead him all the way up to the Signal building. ย The view was so spectacular I risked a very quick shot before diving into the building and safety.

I love looting this place, it is so exciting! ย I found another decent wool sweater, and the Expedition Parka! Woo hoo! ย I was so excited after the clothing disappointment at TWM summit. ย I also found ammo, some good food, essential coffee and a few other bits and pieces. ย I spent an hour or so doing this and a little bit of repairing the new items, then thought it would be safe to go outside again. ย I really wanted to get another photo from up here while the weather was good. ย The wolf had given up thankfully and I was able to take another couple of cracking shots. ย I won't lie, I was almost hyperventilating standing up there so close to the edge, I am afraid of heights! But the views were so spectacular, breathtaking, that it was well worth it.

And finally for this initial part of my diary, I wandered down the hillside and billygoated down an appropriate spot and back to the farm. Then what did I do?

I CRAFTED MY MOOSE SATCHEL!!! Imagine a crazy spaniel running around like an excitable lunatic. ย That was me!! ย Having two bags to increase my carry space is something I haven't ever managed before and now all I can think about is how much space I have to fill up with stuff, more stuff and even more stuff!ย ๐Ÿ˜

Time for sleep, then ready to face a whole new part of my adventure....

Diary Pt 01 - Entry 01 - 008.png

Diary Pt 01 - Entry 01 - 009.png

Diary Pt 01 - Entry 01 - 010.png

Diary Pt 01 - Entry 01 - 013.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Great read.๐Ÿ™‚.ย  I'm glad that bear got his comeuppance.ย ย 

Lol..ย  you'll still be overburdened even with the moose satchel ๐Ÿ˜

I'm glad you enjoyed it chick, you were my inspiration to actually do itย ๐Ÿ˜Š

That bear spawn... I really had forgotten how awkward it is.ย  And I definitely had my grumpy blinders on after the weather getting in the way of my plans.ย  It certainly woke me up that's for sure! I was either going to take him down or die trying. Nobody mauls me without me at least attempting to set the record straight.

Ohhh yes. I was.ย  I have a hectic and productive few game days to document and... indeed... Socks The Encumbered strikes again!ย ๐Ÿ˜

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

I'm glad you enjoyed it chick, you were my inspiration to actually do itย ๐Ÿ˜Š

That bear spawn... I really had forgotten how awkward it is.ย  And I definitely had my grumpy blinders on after the weather getting in the way of my plans.ย  It certainly woke me up that's for sure! I was either going to take him down or die trying. Nobody mauls me without me at least attempting to set the record straight.

Ohhh yes. I was.ย  I have a hectic and productive few game days to document and... indeed... Socks The Encumbered strikes again!ย ๐Ÿ˜

Well I'm glad you did post it ,whatever the reason๐Ÿ™‚.ย ย 

I know what you mean about that bear.. I usually get on the high rock on the opposite side of the road so if he comes after me I can sidle left round the larger rock. He can't get me then.. I'm a coward when it comes to bears๐Ÿ˜.ย  I find it's usually wolf free round there but I'm not sure on stalker.ย  It's a handy place to chop him up .if you don't mind leaving his meat in his own cave of course.ย 

You need a shopping trolley๐Ÿคฃ

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Well I'm glad you did post it ,whatever the reason๐Ÿ™‚.ย ย 

I know what you mean about that bear.. I usually get on the high rock on the opposite side of the road so if he comes after me I can sidle left round the larger rock. He can't get me then.. I'm a coward when it comes to bears๐Ÿ˜.ย  I find it's usually wolf free round there but I'm not sure on stalker.ย  It's a handy place to chop him up .if you don't mind leaving his meat in his own cave of course.ย 

You need a shopping trolley๐Ÿคฃ

๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„ย SHOPPING TROLLEY!!! Let's discard our bags for life idea, shopping trollies!!!ย ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ย Oh that is an encumbered loot goblin's dream...

You are absolutely right about the correct position to get this bear.ย  I found that spot a long time ago, but it's been ages since I came across this bear in this place.ย  I completely forgot.ย  Plus I had such a bee in my bonnet about him frightening me earlier the red mist descended and all sense departedย ๐Ÿ™ˆย It is much more sensible to be a "coward" about the bears, you are far less likely to end up in an almost deadly pickle as I dropped myself into! Socks, you idiot *rolls eyes at self*

I always seem to come across wolves on this top stretch of road, one is usually by the road entrance to the CH cave and one by the derelict cabins.ย  Be wary on your Stalker run chick in case they do indeed spawn there too; with the Stalker settings these ones often ruined my day.ย  And my clothesย ๐Ÿคง

• Upvote 2

PLEASANT VALLEY CONTINUED....

What a busy, productive and (unusually) lucky few days!

After crafting my precious and essential Moose satchel the next day I intended to head up to the plane via Dodger's, but on leaving the Farm I saw the bear sauntering cockily acrossย myย land.ย  Still annoyed about my last encounter, I quickly retrieved my rifle.ย  This time I was careful (ish).ย  I shot him from a distance while crouching in the porch, ready to leap through the door as he began charging.ย  I wasn't about to go out into the field to get closer, this time he would come to me while I had an escape available.ย  It only took me another two shots this time.ย  Hah! Take that Yogi!ย  The next couple of days were spent harvesting in 0.5kg increments (again so I could boost my cooking skill more quickly) and cooking each piece.ย  Once I get to level 5 I often leave a lot uncooked, but until then I make sure each piece is taken care of.

Once this was complete and I had a good long sleep, I again wanted to go up to the plane.ย  This time I went very light (well, light for me!) anticipating the two rope climbs and airline food.ย  Plus any other possible loot along the way.ย  The day started beautifully, I left very early - it was cold but clear so I made the most of it, my Expedition Parka making all the difference. I'd meant to bring along my revolver, knowing there could be some tricky wolves about.ย  Unfortunately, as I got to the top of the rope climb I realised I had forgotten it.

LUPINE ENTERTAINMENT

Flare out, I entered Skeeter's Ridge.ย  I tried to sneak along the top left rocks to avoid the wolf guaranteed here but he was having none of it.ย  What ensued became unexpectedly highly entertaining!

I managed to get round to the house with the basement with the flare burning and not having to throw it.ย  Unfortunately the little bugger was having none of it!I I threw the flare.ย  He looked at it, looked at me and told me in no uncertain terms he thought I was taking the piss. And he charged.ย  Giving me no opportunity to retrieve my flare and try again. I shrieked and ran as fast as I could round the side of the house and dived into the basement, heart pounding.

I was impatiently wanting to get on so I thought I'd see if the game was being kind and the wolf had gone straight away as they sometimes do on entering a building or safe space.ย  I took out another flare ready to pull and throw if necessary.ย  I had things to do!ย  What happened next is possibly one of the most hilarious experiences of my entire TLD playing time since 2016!

20220920110058_1.jpg

2022092011111_1.jpg

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2

I left the basement expecting the wolf to be elsewhere yet nearby.ย  I stopped dead as the wolf was *right in front of me*, back to me.ย  He was pawing the ground like a puppy!ย  I burst out laughing at the ridiculousness of it!ย ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ย It was so cute I almost forgot myself and reached out to stroke him!ย 

Still laughing I fortunately came to my senses and decided it would be wise to spend some time in the basement, even though I badly wanted to get to the plane.ย  This wolf was quite clearly scenting Socks and wanting a good rough play.ย  Not today wolfie, not today.

(this is still making me laugh as I type, I wish I could put into words how comical and surreal it was!)

20220920111554_1.jpg

• Upvote 2

So I rummaged around in the basement and was really pleased with the loot.ย  I found some food, another hatchet, coffee, quality tools and.... FINALLY... I found a decent jumper, the best jumper!ย  Hoorah!

I was a bit worn out after the climb and wolf adventures so I thought I'd take a two hour nap, hopefully long enough for the wolf to disappear.ย  I decided it would be a good idea to return to the Farm and get the revolver; I wanted to be able to carry on to Misty Falls and go through the cave because this would mean my looting in PV was complete, bar my prepper cache search which often takes a lot of time and even then isn't always successful.ย  I slept, left the basement to a thankfully wolf free zone and went home for the night.

20220920111105_1.jpg

• Upvote 2

The next day was a bit foggy but acceptable so I took the revolver and again attempted my plane and Misty Falls loot run.ย  Skeeter Wolf wanted to play again but this time when he stood growling, I aimed and as he charged and got close enough I took one shot and BOOM. Dead wolf. Hah!ย  I'm on a predator roll! (Don't get cocky Socks, you know what happens when you do....).

I looted the plane for lots of airline food and other bits.ย  Burned ridge cave also yielded some food and Advanced Guns book which would come in handy for when I was kept inside by the PV weather.ย  I made my way to Misty Falls via Disagreement Point (where I found more revolver ammo).ย  The cave was hugely disappointing, there was another revolver but at 28% it wasn't worth picking up, even as a spare.ย  Unusually there wasn't anything behind the waterfall either.ย  I settled down for the night to a roaring fire inside the cave, snug and warm.ย  I would then be ready to return home, repair my new jumper and set out on my Prepper Cache hunt.

BINGO!

After getting back to the farm, repairing my new Cowichan and having a good sleep, I was ready for my Prepper Cache hunt.ย  I usually struggle with the PV cache, they seem to hide from me more effectively than ML.ย  I made sure I had plenty of water and food, fully anticipating a very long walk round the whole map.ย  I decided to cross the road to check for the cache near the rope and bear cave (thankfully no bear there this time) then work my way round via Pensive, Keeper's Pass and so on.

I climbed up the little hill to the side of the rope and exclaimed "Well eff me!".ย  Sitting there plain as day was the Hunting Cache!!!ย  First place I looked and the best cache of all.ย  I was soooooo excited the mad spaniel in me returned!!!ย ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

OH WHAT LOOT! Two rifles, ridiculous amounts of ammo, dusting sulfur, whetstone, hunting knife, fishing line and some food.ย  I felt like I'd stumbled on Loot Goblin Heaven!

ย 

ย 

ย 

20220920131601_1.jpg

20220920114817_1.jpg

20220920115033_1 (2).jpg

20220920115041_1.jpg

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

So I gathered all this up and despite my extending inventory space I was, surprise surprise, encumbered again! It wasn't too bad though so I wandered over to Pensive Pond for a quick look and to gather some natural resources.ย  I saw many rubbings but no Moose.ย  I seem to be missing most of them this time round.ย  I'm so glad that awkward one was in Ash Canyon.

Returning home I put everything away and spent a bit of time organising my little hidey hole at the farm, knowing that the time for leaving PV was now upon me with all loot places cleared out.ย  I will return to PV at some point, I use it as a mid way staging point for when I need to go to Bleak Inlet, or when I just need a change of scenery.ย  Feeling a bit sad because the farm was starting to feel comfortable, I knew I had to get going.ย  The promise of more loot and my most permanent dwelling place in ML was calling to me.

After going through the cupboards and my food stash outside in the snow, I had worked out what needed to be left.ย  I always leave everything for ammo crafting and a good range of everything else - weapons, tools, materials, spare clothing.

I was not shocked to realise I was *heavily* encumbered and knew it was going to be an incredibly slow walk to the Carter/ML Caves. I would rather do this in one slow journey than several quicker runs, mostly in case I run into hostile wildlife.ย  I know it is counter intuitive, being far too heavy to move quickly, but I would rather try and take an animal down once than have to do it several times.

Oh....my...gosh.ย  Even I regretted the amount I was carrying!ย  I NEED A SHOPPING TROLLEY!

By the time I convinced myself I'd made a mistake I was already halfway there so I just put on autowalk and trudged along, knowing I would get there eventually.ย  After what seemed like forever the cave loomed, and I realised with great delight there was no bear here this time.ย  That bear really did scare me every single time I came back and forth!ย 

20220920142525_1.jpg

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2

Once inside the cave I dumped half of what I was carrying and did three very quick runs back and forth, inspired by @Leeandaaka Grey Mother on Stims aka Streaker.ย  I decided it was time to get some rest before gathering up the whole lot again for another slow, but thankfully much shorter, walk through Winding River up to the dam.ย  After a couple hours of reading Advanced Guns I slept soundly for a good 10 hours.

The next day was beautiful and bright and I once again trudged as slowly as a tortoise in treacle and felt elated as I saw the dam looming in the distance.ย  Finally I was here!ย ย 

THE NEXT PART OF MY ADVENTURE AWAITS....

(but oh how I loathe that walk across the dam, I know the likelihood of falling off is virtually nil but it is so bloody high!).

Don't look down Socks, don't look down....

20220920145310_1.jpg

20220920150030_1.jpg

• Upvote 2

@Sgt Socks

A great read!

7 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

I left the basement expecting the wolf to be elsewhere yet nearby.ย  I stopped dead as the wolf was *right in front of me*, back to me.ย  He was pawing the ground like a puppy!ย  I burst out laughing at the ridiculousness of it!ย ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ย It was so cute I almost forgot myself and reached out to stroke him!ย 

Still laughing I fortunately came to my senses and decided it would be wise to spend some time in the basement, even though I badly wanted to get to the plane.ย  This wolf was quite clearly scenting Socks and wanting a good rough play.ย  Not today wolfie, not today.

(this is still making me laugh as I type, I wish I could put into words how comical and surreal it was!)

20220920111554_1.jpg

Now itโ€™s my turn to snort laugh ๐Ÿ˜†. Call him... Poodle.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, conanjaguar said:

@Sgt Socks

A great read!

Now itโ€™s my turn to snort laugh ๐Ÿ˜†. Call him... Poodle.

Hahahaaa! ๐Ÿคฃ Gotta love a snort laugh ๐Ÿ˜

Thank you kind sir, I was nervous about documenting my adventure so it makes me happy to know you're enjoying it ๐Ÿงก I do try to make it engaging.

image.thumb.png.8ea7e7a42f2394d78e4c74290c53a659.png

IT ALL WENT RATHER WRONG.... REST IN PEACE SOCKS

So..... I'm dead.ย  Very, very, most definitely dead.

I'm so annoyed!ย  I was even behaving myself this time, no Kamikaze bear killing attempts.ย  I was pottering about, just found a cache and was building up my Trapper's snug ready to photograph to show you all.ย  The mods are fantastic.

I'd just carved a little bear figurine....ย perhaps that was an omen, and I will never carve one again...

I was on my way from home to the dam, aiming to go by the Abandoned Lookout then the trailers.ย  I'd scouted the other bear spawns in ML so knew there would be one here.ย  I was walking incredibly carefully, looking round all the time.ย  I didn't see him.

Then I heard the ROAR...

... before I knew it he was on me.ย  I had nowhere to run, and for once I wasn't even encumbered! I got an absolute pounding.ย  I lost my balaclava, snow pants, hat and gloves.ย  All ruined.ย  Two bites and infection risk.

I stood up swaying, my health down to almost nothing.ย  I couldn't breathe or see straight.ย  Goodness knows what happened because I was at full health and I can usually get through one bear attack with one quarter life left, certainly enough to get away.

I quickly bandaged my wounds and applied antisepticย  But I kept stumbling as I tried to move, the red heart screaming at me that I was in deep deep trouble.

Then something happened I have never seen before. The bear was walking away as they do after an attack but then he turned round and he REARED up on his back legs.ย  Showing his full might and rage.ย  I could understand it if I'd shot him in the arse like I did the bear in PV, but I didn't even have my rifle on me!

There was absolutely nothing I could do...

He reared, roared with a sound that froze me to the spot.ย  It wouldn't have mattered if I could still run because he didn't even give me a chance.ย  He charged again and mauled me for the final time.

I FADED INTO THE LONG DARK, DEAD FROM BLOOD LOSSย 

This is one of those really, really frustrating deaths!ย  I only managed 79 days and it was all going so beautifully.ย  I was excited about my little Trapper's snug, excited to show you guys.ย  I was loving the mods allowing me to place things wherever I wanted; I had built a book case and was filling it with books.

If you have the mod which allows you to carve figurines, DO NOT CARVE THE BEAR.ย  It is cursed.ย  For I am now dead.ย  All that work, all those long slow walks in need of a dump truck rendered pointless.ย  All because I carved a bear, and encountered one I did not see, did not even shoot at, and one which reared for a second attack in a way I have not experienced before.ย  I certainly hope I don't again!

Sigh.....

I think the next TLD adventure will be a self challenge format.ย  I definitely do not want to do all of that all over again just yet.

โ˜ ๏ธย ย โ˜ ๏ธย ย โ˜ ๏ธย ย โ˜ ๏ธย ย โ˜ ๏ธย ย โ˜ ๏ธย 

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2

I'm sorry you didn't make it.. that's rotten luck..ย  I have seen them come back for a second attack on ytube but not very often.. seems your luck deserted you today..๐Ÿ˜Ÿ.ย 

We'll have to go out there together and hunt the rat down,Thelma and Louise style..ย 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I'm sorry you didn't make it.. that's rotten luck..ย  I have seen them come back for a second attack on ytube but not very often.. seems your luck deserted you today..๐Ÿ˜Ÿ.ย 

We'll have to go out there together and hunt the rat down,Thelma and Louise style..ย 

Can we make some bombs or something? Surely we can put the gunpowder to good explosive use. We can throw them as we are barrelling along in our trollies!

Marvellous. I get to be one of the fortunate few to get a rearing bear and a second attack! Aren't I the lucky one ๐Ÿ™„

It was honestly terrifying Leeanda. You would have hated it. I didn't even see him before he was on me! I wish it had been because I shot him in the arse like the bear in PV, at least that would have been entertaining. This was just incredibly scary and utterly disheartening ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Oh well. Looks like its time to work out the settings for my Ash Canyon 50 Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Š

(Gutted I didn't get to show you how my Trapper's snug was shaping up using the mods, it was fab! Mind you.... I still think it was carving that bear statue that did it....)

Noisemakers are just the thing ,might need to add a bit more gunpowder though.ย  Or we could hit him with our backpacks,they're heavy enough to knock an elephant down๐Ÿ˜ย 

I got the same with the cannery wolf. No time in-between..ย  I would've hated that attack,that's why they're off on this run..ย  having enough problems with the others..ย  perhaps he's the insurance teams boss?ย  ย ๐Ÿ™‚.ย 

I know it can be a downer but don't let the wotsit get you down..ย  at least you had a good run and now you can start your ash challenge.. looking forward to reading that๐Ÿ™‚ย ย 

There's a few buildings in ash so plenty of opportunities to spruce them up.. did you get the candle mod too?ย  They look beautiful in the right setting.

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2022 at 12:15 AM, Sgt Socks said:

Once this was complete and I had a good long sleep, I again wanted to go up to the plane.ย  This time I went very light (well, light for me!) anticipating the two rope climbs and airline food.

Great reading, thanks for sharing.ย  I try to avoid ropes as much as possible.ย  Were you aware of the path up?ย  Just passed the burnt-out building on the river.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Or we could hit him with our backpacks,they're heavy enough to knock an elephant down๐Ÿ˜ย 

You've got to stop making me snort laugh! ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

But you are *absolutely right*. We don't even need to create a new weapon! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‡

Perhaps he's the insurance teams boss?ย  ย ๐Ÿ™‚.ย 

Ohhhh....I hadn't even thought of that. I am rude to the salesmen because I cannot abide uninvited intrusions.... oh dear, that does not bode well for the future! ๐Ÿ˜ณ

I know it can be a downer but don't let the wotsit get you down..ย  at least you had a good run and now you can start your ash challenge.. looking forward to reading that๐Ÿ™‚ย ย 

There's a few buildings in ash so plenty of opportunities to spruce them up.. did you get the candle mod too?ย  They look beautiful in the right setting.

Bless you chick ๐Ÿงก I do feel better about it today. It wasn't a good day all round yesterday and it was just the poopy icing on the poopy cake.

Buuuuut you are right! I am looking forward to my Ash challenge. Going to work out the settings I want this morning after brekkie then will get started straight away ๐Ÿ˜Šย 

I really don't know Ash at all, only twice having gone up the east side straight to the mine then back to TWM. If there's a few buildings to spruce up then I'm looking forward to it even more! And yes I've got the candle mod, let's just hope I can find a knife to help me harvest enough fat to make them!

10 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

@Sgt Socks

You have angered the spirit of the bear...

But seriously, what a way to go!

It was probably just a coincidence, but I definitely will NOT carve a bear figurine.

Haha you're right Conan, that has to be my most epic death yet! I didn't fade into The Long Dark, I plummeted with style ๐Ÿ˜„ I was literally wide eyed and mouth open when he reared up and came back at me, "what the chuck!" I exclaimed. Never seen it before and never want to again, epic or not ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜ณ

No no no, it wasn't a coincidence. I had *literally* just carved it, probably an hour or two at most before I left the house on my fateful journey from Trapper's to Clear Cut.

The ancients have definitely cursed it. You know from your Native challenge how their wrath can manifest....

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Great reading, thanks for sharing.ย  I try to avoid ropes as much as possible.ย  Were you aware of the path up?ย  Just passed the burnt-out building on the river.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Hozz, I do try and make it interesting ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿค—

I do know about it.... but I keep forgetting! I really must try and remember next time I'm in PV, it would certainly make life easier. And I wouldn't have to worry if encumbered ๐Ÿ˜

9 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Still waiting on our bear spear!

I'm all for anything that will help take them down! My only concern is that a spear would be rather close quarters would it not? I'd really rather not get too close to one of those beasts ๐Ÿ˜ณ But as a last ditch weapon to possibly save myself from an encounter like this? Then absolutely yes!ย