Silent Fury...

ManicManiac

This personal challenge is one I've been thinking about for quite a while now:

• Stalker mode
  • No feats (as usual)
  • No sound/subtitles/closed-captioning permitted; must rely solely on visual input.
  • Will also wear be wearing earplugs/noise blocking earmuffs (for the sake of playing in as close to total silence as I can)
  • Random Region Start

No other additional personal restrictions applied at the onset (though I may add more as the run goes on).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I'll see how long I can successfully evade and avoid any wildlife struggles (wolves/bear/moose); and ultimately see how long I can survive when the Quiet Apocalypses goes totally silent. 

• Upvote 1

I'd suggest just muting your speakers. Muting your ACTUAL hearing can endanger your personal well-being, as well as that of others. Odds are you'll be fine, but holy crap do you want to miss someone screaming for help, only to think 12 hours later "If only I hadn't put ear plugs in..."

• Upvote 3

...What a rough first day...
and I've already learned my first hard lesson.

I came to at the mouth of a cave in Bleak Inlet.  It was bitter cold, but I quickly took a look around.  I was not wild about the idea of taking on Timber Wolves on day one.  I stepped into the cave hoping I might be able to warm up a little bit.  I took a quick look through my pack and found I had a flare, lit it, and made haste through the cave.
20220610174436_1.thumb.jpg.281022ee72b2517acae1d3c7b5454ea0.jpg

I managed to make my way through the cave and still had some life left in the flare, so if there was a wolf prowling near the mouth of that cave... I at least had a good chance at warding it off.  As I came out of the cave into Forlorn Muskeg, I carefully took a moment to look around.  I quickly veered to the left.  I knew I wanted to try to get to the Old Spence Place (hopefully find some warmer clothing).

The way across the Muskeg past the Bunkhouses was thankfully clear, and I was able to sneak up to the Old Spence Place without issue.  I was, however, already freezing.  I quickly picked over what I could.  Found a nice pair of Gauntlets just behind the Forge, a lantern, on the toolbox I found a ski jack, a prybar inside the toolbox, and was able to use it to open the locker (where I found a nice wool sweater).  I went around back to see about the safe... but the safe was a bust (only found some money and a marine flare).

I was already feeling the effects of the cold... quickly loosing condition and a bit of frostbite risk to my ears (of course the lingering threat of hypothermia as well).  I quickly decided I would head over to the nearby ruined cabin to see if I could maybe find some more clothing.  The wolves that were prowling in the small area next to the Old Spence Place looked like they were far enough away, that I should have to worry too much about them.

I was wrong... very incorrect.

I began searching through on of the containers, and failed to look over my shoulder... I had been too certain I was in the clear.  That's when I got ambushed.  A wolf had apparently caught my sent and had been stalking me from the field.  I managed to quickly fend it off, but not without taking a nasty bite to the leg.  After it ran off, I limped on to the next nearby ruined structure.  Behind me I could see blood in the snow.  Seems I was hurt more than had initially thought.  I'd found some antiseptic back at the Old Spence Place and quickly used it to disinfect the wound.  However, I was short a bandage to stop the bleeding.  I sacrificed a scrap of cloth and bandaged up.  The damage had been done... but at least I wouldn't bleed out further.

As I continued to make my way across the Muskeg, I did stop off to check a couple of corpses I'd spotted.  The first didn't have much to offer, but the second (huddled up against a tree and next to a burned-out campfire) left me a decent rifle and some ammunition.  I had a fighting chance, should another furry woodland friend decided it wanted to test me.  

I pressed on towards the Poachers Camp, but I was still rather quickly freezing to death.  My vision was getting burry and was getting too dizzy to walk straight.  If I didn't get warm... I'd soon be dead.  Thankfully, by the time was having a hard time walking, I was just a few more meters from the railcar.  I quicky used accelerant, a stick, and one of my very few pieces of tinder to get a fire going.  Once lit, I dropped two pieces of coal in the barrel.  It wasn't long before I nice and warm.  At least I'd managed to stave of death for now... but I knew I wouldn't have enough fuel to keep a fire burning all night.
20220610180949_1.thumb.jpg.08ad605fb24c56f79891db79c71901c9.jpg

I did try to make best use of the fire I could and got a liter of water boiled (only had one recycled can to work with), but that was enough for now.  I pulled a torch form the barrel and decided to risk trying to make the trek to Mystery Lake.  As I made my way down the tracks, I did have to cut a wider path to avoid a bear that was ambling it's way on the track ahead.  It was already getting close to early evening.  I wasn't loosing heat nearly as fast I had been earlier in the day, but I was quickly getting exhausted from trying to sprint around and away from the path of the bear.

I managed to make it to the railway tunnel and through to the other side.  I warily made my way around the train cars... knowing full well I'd have to shoot any wolf that might be lurking just beyond.  Fortunately, the way was clear.  I knew I'd be able to stay warm enough, at least until I could make it to the Camp Office... but I knew I'd be thoroughly exhausted long before then.  The only saving grace, what that fatigue is a slow killer.  As long as I didn't get ambushed again... I had a chance.
20220610182032_1.thumb.jpg.f2c0e3cb804849fa67a4dee5260161bc.jpg

As I stumbled onwards, keeping a sharp eye out for any dark silhouettes skulking along the tracks...  I spotted and old friend.
20220610182205_1.thumb.jpg.e2bcc81e6513f47691adf80642decc04.jpg
I was happy to see him, the one I called the Prince of the Forest all those years ago.  Seeing him also meant haven was just around the corner.
I dragged myself inside the Camp Office, did only a quick search for whatever food I might easily find, sated my thirst, and dropped heavy into bed.

I woke early the next morning, well before sun rise... but I was feeling better.  Better enough to live another day.
20220610182550_1.thumb.jpg.e88e0a0e6f51b46decf3f254fa1b9d80.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 3

@ajb1978 & @conanjaguar
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.
The ear plugs were a detail I thought might add just a little bit more immersion to the run for me.  Over the top?  Maybe, I guess. :D 
I've never known a little bit of sensory deprivation causing anyone issues with their well-being, nor am I in an area where I've ever heard anyone calling for help.     I don't see any harm in it.

It's just a little something I thought would add to the experience, and it did (at least for me).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

@conanjaguar
I'm happy to know I wasn't the only one naming some of the other inhabitants of Great Bear Island.
Back when I first started with TLD, Mystery Lake was the only region... one of my first little side-challenges or extra rules I ever made for myself was to try not to ever disturb and always protect this individual deer from predators.

It was the only animal that was truly safe on the island, and I've had more than a few occasions when I've had to just sprint at a wolf and take the brunt of its furry rather than see the "Prince of the Forest" come to harm.  It's a vow I keep to this very day.  It's been something like 8 years now, and I've never failed him. 🌞

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 2

I waited until sun rise before even attempting to go outside.  I knew it would only get colder as dawn approaches anyway.  I did feel my way downstairs and dropped everything I would like to sort there on the floor.  I knew I'd be better off waiting until I could see properly before actually finishing a more thorough search before a good sort and stow of everything I'd managed to gather up so far.  I had three sleeping bags now (found one at the Pocher's Camp & another here at the Camp Office yesterday).  The rifle is in rough shape too... about 32%... but I don't have anything yet to fix that up.  I didn't even bother checking that yesterday.  I suppose if I had needed to use it... might have been disastrous. :D 

Speaking of... I have to make sure I leaned my lesson.  "Always check my six, before stopping for any reason..."

I spent the majority of the day working my way around Mystery Lake.  Thankfully the entire lake was free of wolves (at least for today).  I was able to search though all the Lakeshore Cabins, but unfortunately didn't find much by way of clothing (and nothing that was better than was already wearing - sad because they'd already been somewhat shredded by the wolf yesterday).  The worst part, I still don't have any kind head covering, and I've been battling frostbite risk.  So far, I've managed it okay... but the sooner I can at least complete my basic layers, the better.

The weather has started threatening a storm... but not so bad for me to waste daylight taking shelter.  I did eventually head up the slope to the cave near the Mystery Lake Overlook.  Still not to much of value, but at least a little bit of food/drink.  I was already completely out of water... I'd been getting by on the occasional can of soda that I would find.  I knew I was going to have to make it a bit of a late night and get at least a small stockpile of water started.  I'd managed to find some purifcation tablets... and with the cooking put that I'd found downstairs.  I'd at least be able to process 4 liters in just two hours' burn time.  I knew I'd probably be staying up longer than that, but either way it was a start.

As the evening approached, I returned to the Camp Office.  Headed up stairs to get the fire started (which I failed four times - thankfully I'd used the torch I thought to pull from the barrel yesterday).  Once I got the fire going, I put enough sticks for about 4 hours burn time.  I figured that way I could get three batches from the cooking pot, and whatever else from a single recycled can on the other burner.  By the time I was ready to lay down for the night, I had more than 8 liters prepared (six in reserve and two for tomorrow, with a bit more than enough to keep me sated through the night).

Compared to yesterday, it wasn't a very exciting day... but I'm just fine with that. :D 
20220611143151_1.thumb.jpg.60eded8b47e332128f38fbd9070f97ea.jpg
20220611144206_1.thumb.jpg.60931b3ae5f3cec4fafb2cb7782b5d4c.jpg

• Upvote 1

Over the next couple of days, I tried to expand my exploration radius.

First, I went to check out the Train Derailment.
20220612113534_1.thumb.jpg.af105ad8b841251e090c823fa3ad3ad9.jpg
After some careful scouting, I was able to make my way in safely.  Inside I'd found another book, some ammunition, and on the far end of the car... a second rifle (in even worse condition than the one I found on the Muskeg).  Unfortunately, found nothing for clothes or food.  I was already getting rather cold, but I knew I'd have to go further afield if I was going to get anywhere with better potential to find what I need.

The weather was starting to take a sudden turn for the worse, but I was going to have to risk it.
20220612113912_1.thumb.jpg.983c5638fdc06f200eaff41cdca6118e.jpg
I stepped back inside the Camp Office to drop a few things off, make some tinder plugs (or whatever else I could do to pass a little time, while I warmed up a bit more.  I didn't want to spend more than hour in doors though.  I wanted to get back out before the weather got too much worse.

I decided to head up to the Forestry Lookout.  While I did find some food and even some ammunition... still no head covering. :D 
I returned to the Camp Office once more to warm back up.  I was tempted to just start another fire, and continue bolstering my water supply.  However, I knew if I didn't manage to find some warmer clothing soon, frostbite and traveling in general was going to only get more difficult.  I decided I would risk a hard push to get to the Carter Hydroelectric Dam.  So far the weather had been holding, and the later afternoon was at least a little warmer than this morning.

I opted for the safer path (up along and past Mystery Lake Overlook, through the forest, and leading out to the Train Loading Area).  I did a quick search, but again didn't find much (a candy bar and a rifle cartridge).  Pressed on down the tracks, taking particular care as I approached the bridge.  I'd have to be especially careful... I had no way of knowing on which side of the bridge (if not both) a wolf might be prowling... and I had to be ready to deal with either.

I kept to the far right as I began crossing, switched to the far left as I got to the other side.  As it turned out there was a wolf prowling along the beside and under the bridge as I was approaching... but on the far side, the way was clear for both trailers and the Dam itself.  I took advantage of what daylight I had left to search the farther of the two trailers, but I was going to have to wait until morning before I could search the other and start work on the dam.
20220612152033_1.thumb.jpg.b5e73b1b1174cbae2e0093d6248d23b1.jpg
20220612152637_1.thumb.jpg.36548d41b9ee2f34d57811537f3edb71.jpg
(Found a wool toque in each of the trailers... at least now frostbite is one less thing I'll have to worry about)

The next morning (after searching the other trailer), I made my way over to the dam.  I decided I didn't have time (nor the carrying capacity) to do a really good thorough search.  At this point I was most concerned with lockers, safes, and what was laying around loose.  This way I knew I could make my way all the way though the dam and back again before nightfall.  If I can find some warmer clothing, I can always invest more time and properly search the place from top to bottom another time.  Even though it only a quick once over, it still took most of the day... and what I found had been definitely worth the risk.
20220612153222_1.thumb.jpg.1d7d7ddf9b5f757e666ffb0ad9d09f50.jpg
20220612153751_1.thumb.jpg.c3a6d98fd312797eaf91ecc24c009126.jpg
20220612153754_1.thumb.jpg.34e6520f98c9895abe96029c1805bfb6.jpg
20220612154259_1.thumb.jpg.0a97477819659e2a7e61879dde579d67.jpg
Found a good deal of clothing items as well (so much so that I would likely have to drop three or more pairs of boots just to be able to haul it back - though I may just setup a small encampment right here).  Almost all of it won't be useful to wear... but all of it will be useful for repairs later on.

At this point it starting to get dark, I decided to bed down there in the entrance for the night... I'll decided what to do next in the morning.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

@Leeanda
And then once we do have it, or just don't need it any more... that's when suddenly the RNG switches over to "embarrassment of riches" mode.  :D 

(granted this is not true... and I'm being hyperbolic; but that's what it feels like sometimes)

Edited by ManicManiac

Rather than spend the night at the dam, I stowed a few extra tools/supplies to establish a small encampment, and opted to try and make the trek back to the Camp Office with the bulk of what what I'd managed to gather up.  My pack was running a bit heavy, I could still sprint if I needed to.

Outside, I took a careful look around.  Spotted the wolf still prowling near the end of the train bridge just across the river.  Since the way across the tracks to the two trailers was clear this morning it wasn't likely that a wolf was there by the afternoon, but I carefully scouted ahead anyway.  I know sometimes the wolves to move from one area to another unexpectedly.  I wasn't about to get chewed on again, if I could help it.

Rather than attempt to sneak back across the bridge, I decided to sneak below the bridge and see if there was anything of interest.  I got low and approached the underside of the bridge.  There wasn't anything but a burned out campfire, so I crept back and continued on my way back to the Camp Office (once again cutting though the woods for a safer hike back to my main encampment.  I did stop off to see what else I could see from Mystery Lake Overlook... still no wolves anywhere on the lake.  Could it be that the lake will remain blessedly free of wolves this run?  If so, I imagine they are really going to be really thick elsewhere. :D 

After returning to the Camp Office I spent the rest of the evening sorting my haul.  I've still not really taken the time to properly stow things (more or less just laid out on the floor in various piles).  I suppose I'll get around to really cleaning up during the next blizzard (assuming I'm don't end up snowed in someplace else).

Short session this morning.
I'll follow up with a few stills later on.

• Upvote 2

You found a Revolver AND Mukluks in Carter Hydro? I’m frostbitten with envy. How many Stims?

4 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Outside, I took a careful look around.  Spotted the wolf still prowling near the end of the train bridge just across the river. 

Sounds like you met Rusty! Tell him to expect me around 6:30.

• Like 1

Days end...

Before heading back to the Camp Office, I carefully scouted to the route back.
20220613051440_1.thumb.jpg.30c89cd930f8b69cbc54d5a689e0a787.jpg

The wider route around was still clear.
20220613051557_1.thumb.jpg.8a65c50533140fe5079a58453a9c38e0.jpg

I thought I spotted a campfire... curious to see if anything else had been left behind.  However, I had to watch out for all the teeth.
20220613052006_1.thumb.jpg.1327671acb554500178ec2789e35e820.jpg

20220613051619_1.thumb.jpg.cb206d928c844aa8e11bfcb38289c9f7.jpg

20220613051911_1.thumb.jpg.6b24db5543ab6da0c3c4832e5e101a7c.jpg

On the way back, making my way towards my path through the woods... no prepper's cache... I will have to continue that search later.
20220613052250_1.thumb.jpg.c0165c251b6a9e3f09dff5ff03db9de3.jpg

I never get tired of this view...
20220613053715_1.thumb.jpg.6ee36d5f9587f909f563b979f8739fb5.jpg

(Those stills from my earlier session I'd mentioned)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 2

Good loot in Carter huh?

I din't find jack in dam when i was looting it yesterday BUT i didnt loot the entire dam. Still have some more looting to  be done in there (need one more pair of wool socks) and off to Gold Mine/ Ash canyon (backpack) and Summit before the weather gets worse. Its Interloper day 14 and i already have one bear hide curing and several deer/rabbit skins as well. When i get back from Ash canyon and Summit ill probably head to Coastal Highway to stay there for 100 days craft all clothes etc.

Goold luck on Your run. Keep us up to date.

• Like 1