Any ideas for The Long Dark 2?

Ghurcb

There's no guarantee we'll ever get this game, but we can still come up with some ideas.

So, what do you think, would be too big of a change to be added in the current game, but would perfectly fit the sequel?

Here are some of my wishes for The Long Dark 2

• Actual snowdrifts. The ones we have now are way too solid. You just walk on top of them, when realistically, you'd be waist-deep in snow. Introduction of snowdrifts would open a way for the tool that was teased in the earliest versions of the long dark. The shovel.
  • Transport. And I don't mean cars or jetskis. That would be too OP for the "vulnerability fantasy" of the long dark. I'm talking about hand-operated cableways and minecarts. I guess, Hinterland can add something like this already, but only as a quirk of a new region. But I want to be able to drive though the whole trans-great-bear railroad!
  • Realistic animal behaviour. Or at least, more realistic. It's a game, after all. But right now, wolves are just back-and-forth walking security guards, who can and will be distracted by a rabbit running by. I'd like to them to hunt in packs, together being able to defeat a moose (and then any overconfident survivor, who tries to take this moose away). I want deers to notice you from far away, if you are not being as quiet as a mouse. I want bears to hunt other wildlife.
  • Swimming. If you fall under the ice, you have to actually get out of there, none of that "fade to black". If you need to cross a stream, you take your boots and pants and maybe even jacket off to do it. If you see a cool looking box underwater, you take a deep breath and dive. All the while losing your body temperature and risking suffocation.
  • Physics. You know, like gravity and stuff...

Do you have any ideas that could only get realised in "The Long Dark part 2: the longer - the darker"? Make sure to share them!

Edited by Ghurcb
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, APixelatedLemon said:

* More seasons than winter

No... NO NONONONONONONONONO...

Winter is the best part of The Long Dark. It is the most difficult season to survive in. Why would you add summer or spring, when that would only make the game easier? And, honestly, I think it could be even made a part of canon that winter is the only season now. You know, like scientists were trying to harness the energy of the Sun but accidentally caused it to flare in every direction making it colder. With what was shown in Wintermute, I have reasons to suspect, the flare wasn't completely natural.

Edit: Actually, I can get on board with this, if the seasons are "Winter", "Winterer", and "The Winterest"

35 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

thunderstorms

Now THAT would be awesome!

Edited by Ghurcb

1 hour ago, Ghurcb said:

No... NO NONONONONONONONONO...

Winter is the best part of The Long Dark. It is the most difficult season to survive in. Why would you add summer or spring, when that would only make the game easier? And, honestly, I think it could be even made a part of canon that winter is the only season now. You know, like scientists were trying to harness the energy of the Sun but accidentally caused it to flare in every direction and making it colder. With what was shown in Wintermute, I have reasons to suspect, the flare wasn't completely natural.

While winter does have it's dangers, I wouldn't go as far to say that it's the most dangerous season. Summer could have something like overheating and new and more dangerous animals that come out (Mountain lions, brown bears). As for winter being the only season left, that's still kind of up in the air for me. Unless Episode 5 comes out and some new information is revealed that "Yes it's now permanent winter" then I still hold onto hope that different seasons could be a thing. 

Nothing will take away my hope of pancakes though... 

Edited by APixelatedLemon
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, APixelatedLemon said:

While winter does have it's dangers, I wouldn't go as far to say that it's the most dangerous season.

There are only 4 seasons, and in the north temperate climate zones winter is the least survivable. In real life, given no shelter you are WAY more likely to freeze to death in January, then be mauled by a bear in July. And in the long dark bears decided not to hibernate, so you'll get mauled in January as well.

But there's at least one thing we can both agree on...

4 hours ago, APixelatedLemon said:

Nothing will take away my hope of pancakes though... 

My wish is that HL moves onto a totally original concept... a totally different game.  They've done a great job with TLD... and that is precisely why I'm even more curious to see what imaginative and creative ideas are brewing in their own heads rather than mine.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ghurcb said:

There are only 4 seasons, and in the north temperate climate zones winter is the least survivable. In real life, given no shelter you are WAY more likely to freeze to death in January, then be mauled by a bear in July. And in the long dark bears decided not to hibernate, so you'll get mauled in January as well.

In the north yes that is very true. But hypothetically if TLD 2 were to take place in the south (Which is something else I would like for a sequel) with a new set of characters than summer could very much be the worst threat. But given that TLD character is build off of Canadian culture is relatively unlikely that would be the case.

And I'm glad you agree with me on pancakes, only a madman couldn't.

Edited by APixelatedLemon

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

My wish is that HL moves onto a totally original concept... a totally different game.  They've done a great job with TLD... and that is precisely why I'm even more curious to see what imaginative and creative ideas are brewing in their own heads rather than mine.

Oh, I'm not saying, they should make The Long Dark 2. I'm good with The Long Dark we already have.
I've been simply wondering what would people like to see changed if it was announced. You know, something too wild to expect in a simple update.
Like this, for example

7 hours ago, Ghurcb said:

Actual snowdrifts. The ones we have now are way too solid. You just walk on top of them, when realistically, you'd be waist-deep in snow. Introduction of snowdrifts would open a way for the tool that was teased in the earliest versions of the long dark. The shovel.

Adding depth to snow would require Hinterland to remake ALL THE MAPS, change the way snow is generated, change the way character moves through snow, and a whole lot of other stuff that I know nothing about. But if it was a sequel, they could actually spend their recourses on all this, because TLD2 would need to be different enough from the first game, and because they wouldn't be burdened with limitations that TLD has right now.

And now that I think about it, Hinterland can add pancakes already! Maybe, as a seasonal event food?

Edited by Ghurcb

9 minutes ago, Ghurcb said:

Oh, I'm not saying, they should make The Long Dark 2. I'm good with The Long Dark we already have.
I've been simply wondering what would people like to see changed if it was announced. You know, something too wild to expect in a simple update.
Like this, for example

Adding depth to snow would require Hinterland to remake ALL THE MAPS, change the way snow is generated, change the way character moves through snow, and a whole lot of other stuff that I know nothing about. But if it was a sequel, they could actually spend their recourses on all this, because TLD2 would need to be different enough from the first game, and because they wouldn't be burdened with limitations that TLD has right now.

... and all I did was answer your question with my personal and honest answer... without passing judgment on anyone else's answer or your original question.  If they do decide to make Long Dark 2... I'd like it to be a version riddled with their own creative ideas.  Snowdrifts would be a great enhancement to TLD 1, but what if their plan for TLD 2 is for it to take place in a highly urban area... or in the jungle?... or in a post-apocalyptic Canada that's become so arid that snow never falls?  As I see it... the possibilities are, quite frankly, endless... and I'm willing to go wherever they want to take me.

• Upvote 2

If they did have other seasons you could have a game mode where you start before everything turned to ice. Like you're in a cabin in spring and the weather starts going bad. That sounds fun to me.

As to TLD2 I would either want another story(if I like the one in TLD1) or I would like a sandbox mode with far more cusomisability. I don't really play TLD sandbox mode because you "win" in a couple weeks and the game ends at that point for me.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would like to see an open-ended, ever increasing degree of difficulty in the game - weather getting progressively more severe, animals yielding less and less meat as time goes on (i.e. they start to starve and get thinner and thinner) and their spawning diminishing to 0 eventually, items becoming totally irreparable over time, plants respawning at the beginning of the game but, again, diminishing towards 0 respawns as time goes on... creating a shifting focus for players to simply survive longer each run than they personally did the previous run (sort of like a Tetris mentality where the game continually speeds up until the player simply can't keep up with it) - i.e. striving for a personal best.  This rate of world decay towards the totally state where it is utterly impossible to survive being what the set game difficulty level controls.  That is, everyone on every difficulty starts out well equipped (identically) and all difficulties can reach the "0" respawns state and no cap on how severe the weather gets).  The things you start out with break and decay and the character gets progressively and unavoidably weaker.  However, the rate at which that happens is significantly faster at higher difficulties (making higher difficulty runs last perhaps only a matter of, say, 30 in-game days, rather than years).  Right now, the game hits a doldrum state where the player can become set up to survive years inside the game... it doesn't get more difficult.  It just gets boring.  That's what I'd like to see really change with a new version of the game.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1