This is for the long dark

Seahawk

# 1 let us cut down trees plz

#2create more stuff that we can interact with like using a haybale to use it as cover 

#3 to create more good and immersion do seasons plz

#4 make us interaction for building houses or repair them 

#5 last one of them all more food utens and other even more realistic immersion and etc.

# 1) do you know how long it would take to cut down a tree with hatchet? It would take days

# 2) perhaps, but what do you mean by "cover"?

# 3) the whole premise of the game is that it's permanently winter, seasons would just make the game easier

# 4) base-building has been discussed a lot, but in my opinion, the long dark is such a unique game in that it does not have base building 

# 5) if you're looking for more food options, several mods have been created to add different foods. There are already plenty of food options already, so I personally don't think more are needed

All in all, you should consider looking into mods, as they might help you get the features you're looking for

• Upvote 1

Frozen doesn't really matter. And frozen wood splits nicer, too. Quite satisfying to split frozen wood, actually. (we heat our home with a wood furnace; we're in rural BC on a ranch)

I'd like to at least be able to cut limbs off trees & fallen logs. I mean, there's limbs on the ground which are usable firewood, while smaller limbs on trees/logs aren't touchable? C'mon lol.

• Upvote 2

To #4: Would be an interesting mechanic if buildings could get damaged due to storms/blizzards (get holes) and though decrease the ability of holding temperature.
In that sense: Would be nice if you could increase the average temperature of a cave or house with fire and it would stay warm for some time.

To #3: Seasons would be actually interesting. Doesn't mean, that snow melts and grass sprouts. Just some things like the lakes in Forlorn Muskeg to be frozen fully in winter and much less in summer and such effects. Maybe you won't be able to stay in some regions some time of the year. Getting less easily through Forlorn Muskeg due to weaker ice in summer (or easier in in winter), ice holes for fishing freezing faster in lower temperatures in winter, all in all it could have some effect on possibilities without changing the game in a fundamental sense.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Razum said:

Would be an interesting mechanic if buildings could get damaged due to storms/blizzards (get holes) and though decrease the ability of holding temperature.

I'd like that.  The sound of shutters and other house parts rattling in the wind is really scary, but you quickly learn that it's not a threat.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Thank u guys for doing this and plus I just wanted to say that we can cut down small trees I'm saying and cover I mean like igloo building or having haybale by remove the inside of the hay and staying in them for some little shelter and also have thermos to bring stuff around to keep u happy and bringing stuff around good !!! I have great ideas let me know what and which games to do and etc thank u admin and I've watched a bunch of youtubers playing this and it's joy to have this game so thx devs team for working hard on this game ♥ ♠️ ❤  but like again let me know if yall want nore ideas I got a bunch to Tell yall so let me know thank you and have joy to all people and the devs 

• Like 1

1) i don't see a need to add being able to cut down the trees.  There is enough wood available from chopping up the tree limbs lying around, supplementing by picking up sticks and breaking down shrubs and branches.  I also would not want to be able to decimate the lovely scenery in this game through "deforestation" by the player.

2) There is a haystack in Blackrock that they have enabled as a bed; that is, we can sleep in it.  In places like Pleasant Valley, the player can already walk behind them and use them to block the wind. IRL, hay bales are generally too compacted to crawl into.

3)  A summer season in BC is really fully of life.  Having such a lush season would defeat the "survival" nature of the game.

4)  Agree that TLD is a game that doesn't really need a construction mechanic (e.g. like Fallout 4).  It would be nice to be able to clean up some of the buildings in the game more (i.e. like being able to pick up all the papers on the floor and dismantle all the furniture remnants, like bed frames inside) if we wish.

5) Don't care either way whether they skins more varieties of food in the game.  What matters are total calories and hydration... it all tastes like pixels anyways. 😀

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

On 2/12/2022 at 1:00 PM, Seahawk said:

#2create more stuff that we can interact with like using a haybale to use it as cover 

#5 last one of them all more food utens and other even more realistic immersion and etc.

Right u are correct but what about the thermos that would be to good use

1 minute ago, Seahawk said:

Right u are correct but what about the thermos that would be to good use

The issue with a thermos, as I see it, is telling the thermos what variety of tea is inside it.  If the player wishes to carry more than one type of tea, they would have to carry more than one thermos and be able to designate/determine which thermos is carrying which type of tea.  It probably can be done, but it might be more of an annoyance if we then couldn't carry the individual cups of tea around until we find or craft a thermos.

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2022 at 7:00 PM, Seahawk said:

1. I wouldn't want to chop down fully grown trees and change the beautiful landscape. However, the game could allow you to chop down fallen trees for a lot of wood. The game could respawn fallen trees at a set interval, like every 50 days after a long lasting blizzard. But there's plenty of sticks / limbs everywhere for the devs to not even think about this.

3. Seasons would be interesting but obviously not full blown spring or summer (god no, I love the cold). But as suggested above, it could just about melt enough ice to make certain areas inaccessible so that the challenge remains. The melting/weak ice will force wild life on solid land. Imagine having to be forced to walk a path frequented by bears/wolves, or risk the weak ice on ML or CH.

Maybe warmer seasons could also help vegetation to grow back (rose hips, mushrooms, cat tails, etc). Warmer temps could also mean food/meat goes bad more rapidly which would be a challenge and go against stocking long term. There could be a possibility of picking up infections, etc 

4. Repairing / maintenance of houses would be nice. A blizzard could destroy the shutters or other parts, that you'd have to fix else the indoor temps could drop (as suggested in the dynamic indoor temps post). Could be an interesting mechanic and a sense of purpose in late game.

Edited by StillNomad
added some more stuff.
  • Upvote 1

On 2/24/2022 at 4:32 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

4)  Agree that TLD is a game that doesn't really need a construction mechanic (e.g. like Fallout 4).  It would be nice to be able to clean up some of the buildings in the game more (i.e. like being able to pick up all the papers on the floor and dismantle all the furniture remnants, like bed frames inside) if we wish.

Currently there is a mod that allows you to do this. :)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Razum said:

https://github.com/Xpazeman/tld-remove-clutter
Just so people can find it ;)

Thanks. I didn't post a link solely for the reason that discussion and links to mods were looked down upon by the mods. I remember reading some forum rules about this when I joined. Maybe things are a bit relaxed after the dev diary spoke about opening up to mods.