I finally got mauled !

Leeanda

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

So I tried a few little tests and I know that  lit flares stop the attack triggering.  I tried blue and red from different angles and they ran away regardless of how close I was. Then I tried a lit torch from behind the wolf and got instantly mauled!😁  No damage to clothes though so got lucky with that.  Also managed to get quite a few feathers from the carcasses that are strewn all over the place.   Haven't seen the wolf since so presuming it died somewhere. 

I'm now heading to Broken railroad to see how many wolves are hanging round the maintenance yard! I might do some arrowheads while I'm there. 

Piddy.. my apologies. There is indeed a stink metre on pilgrim.

I didn't see it as it came on then disappeared very quickly.

I had nothing on me during the attacks anyway so I will have to try it.

That's really useful info', thanks for putting yourself in harm's way for the cause 💪 I learned the hard way about sneaking up on wolves from the back 😬 Thought I was the wolf whisperer or something.

Usually plenty of wolves around BR, hope you're well equipped and have lots of coal. I actually really enjoy making arrows. Think I'm up to around 240 or thereabouts. No idea how many birch saplings there are in total.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

I saw nothing, no carcasses that were visible or anything like that. It's definitely custom pilgrim though isn't it?

Yes.  I'm pretty sure he was participating in the beginner division... which means the only difference between his setting and standard pilgrim is that Bear and Moose Spawns are set to High (per the rules sheet).  The intermediate division has pilgrim settings with the elevated bear and moose spawns and stalker weather and medium condition recovery.  The pro division has the same pilgrim and bear and moose settings, but interloper weather and low condition recovery.  The animals, therefore, are set to be passive in all divisions and all the loot settings are as they are in pilgrim mode.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

That's really useful info', thanks for putting yourself in harm's way for the cause 💪 I learned the hard way about sneaking up on wolves from the back 😬 Thought I was the wolf whisperer or something.

Usually plenty of wolves around BR, hope you're well equipped and have lots of coal. I actually really enjoy making arrows. Think I'm up to around 240 or thereabouts. No idea how many birch saplings there are in total.

LoL! My pleasure. This is custom pilgrim though so best not try it on another level😃 

I was kinda surprised about the torch not having any effect ! They seem to work well in normal circumstances.   Stuck in the middle of forlorn , exhausted, again for now. Will rest and try not to die in the night from cold. I need to save the coal for BR.   Found the hacksaw and hoping to find the hammer at Spence's on the way.   Must stop hording so much! 

It is nice to chill out a bit at the forge ,  it never feels like hard work even though it should! 

That's quite a lot , Especially to craft. Not sure I'll ever make that many but I mightve  lost  a fair few😃

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Yes.  I'm pretty sure he was participating in the beginner division... which means the only difference between his setting and standard pilgrim is that Bear and Moose Spawns are set to High (per the rules sheet).  The intermediate division has pilgrim settings with the elevated bear and moose spawns and stalker weather and medium condition recovery.  The pro division has the same pilgrim and bear and moose settings, but interloper weather and low condition recovery.  The animals, therefore, are set to be passive in all divisions and all the loot settings are as they are in pilgrim mode.

I know my eyesight isn't the best but I really saw nothing on there so I'm stumped as to why it attacked.  Maybe someone else saw something I missed or has an explanation for it.?

48 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

LoL! My pleasure. This is custom pilgrim though so best not try it on another level😃 

I was kinda surprised about the torch not having any effect ! They seem to work well in normal circumstances.   Stuck in the middle of forlorn , exhausted, again for now. Will rest and try not to die in the night from cold. I need to save the coal for BR.   Found the hacksaw and hoping to find the hammer at Spence's on the way.   Must stop hording so much! 

It is nice to chill out a bit at the forge ,  it never feels like hard work even though it should! 

That's quite a lot , Especially to craft. Not sure I'll ever make that many but I mightve  lost  a fair few😃

You can never tell with these wolves, they're a moody bunch 🙄 Yeah I'm same, forever encumbered. You just never know when you'll need 10kgs of birch bark,17 spare pairs of socks and 6 tin openers. To be fair, I have gotten better at streamlining but ... Paranoid of forgetting something vital.

Yeah I do have a few arrows, used some before Blackrock update to hunt. Enjoyed it. Now have a limited supply of rifle ammo again, so ... They're in storage for now. To be honest, I did waste a few arrows shooting that target at the barn in PV before I realised birch saplings were limited 🤦

Enjoy your forging. Least you're indoors at that forge, despite the slight risk of electrocution.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

You can never tell with these wolves, they're a moody bunch 🙄 Yeah I'm same, forever encumbered. You just never know when you'll need 10kgs of birch bark,17 spare pairs of socks and 6 tin openers. To be fair, I have gotten better at streamlining but ... Paranoid of forgetting something vital.

Yeah I do have a few arrows, used some before Blackrock update to hunt. Enjoyed it. Now have a limited supply of rifle ammo again, so ... They're in storage for now. To be honest, I did waste a few arrows shooting that target at the barn in PV before I realised birch saplings were limited 🤦

Enjoy your forging. Least you're indoors at that forge, despite the slight risk of electrocution.

I've died from that everywhere except BlackRock so far.  But I did tweak the aurora setting to high so one wrong step and it could be all over!😁 

I practiced a bit too so you're not the only one. And I knew they were limited. 🙂 

If you put all those spare socks on it'd really lighten the load and you'd have super cosy feet!  Even though the rest of you will still be freezing 😁

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I've died from that everywhere except BlackRock so far.  But I did tweak the aurora setting to high so one wrong step and it could be all over!😁 

I practiced a bit too so you're not the only one. And I knew they were limited. 🙂 

If you put all those spare socks on it'd really lighten the load and you'd have super cosy feet!  Even though the rest of you will still be freezing 😁

Haha! Least you'd be toasty warm 🔥 The wolves would come running to the fragrance of barbecued human.

That makes me feel better 😄 I was enjoying hitting that bullseye, had my own score system going and everything 😂 Gotta think long term. I've ditched my balaclava and a pair of socks actually. Dropped a couple of degrees but that slight change should extend the life of my cloth supply a tad. On the off-chance I come across clothing, I'm lucky if it isn't totally ruined. Those snow pants were on 3%, first thing I've found in years that hadn't completely degraded. Least ruined stuff can be harvested.

Edited by Matt Lomax
Sausage fingers
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Haha! Least you'd be toasty warm 🔥 The wolves would come running to the fragrance of barbecued human.

That makes me feel better 😄 I was enjoying hitting that bullseye, had my own score system going and everything 😂 Gotta think long term. I've ditched my balaclava and a pair of socks actually. Dropped a couple of degrees but that slight change should extend the life of my cloth supply a tad. On the off-chance I come across clothing, I'm lucky if it isn't totally ruined. Those snow pants were on 3%, first thing I've found in years that hadn't completely degraded. Least ruined stuff can be harvested.

No balaclava? No more swamp monster?  You should order the polar bear onesie quick!🤣

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Where did you ditch your balaclava?  I wish I could pick it up.  Right now I'm running around in a nearly ruined cotton toque I just found (25%).  Wish  could also find some sort of jacket.  (To be fair though - this particular run is in its early stages.  Some days I hate Ash Canyon... so cold up top.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Where did you ditch your balaclava?  I wish I could pick it up.  Right now I'm running around in a nearly ruined cotton toque I just found (25%).  Wish  could also find some sort of jacket.  (To be fair though - this particular run is in its early stages.  Some days I hate Ash Canyon... so cold up top.

I left the bear coat in the cave near the climb down to the mine if you want it? 🙂

45 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

No balaclava? No more swamp monster?  You should order the polar bear onesie quick!🤣

😂 It was doing my head in seeing it on him. It's the first time he's taken it off for 3 years. Surprised it didn't peel his face off with it.

11 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Ah, sorry. Never thought. Could have utilised my crow-mail delivery system 😫 I do have a spare actually in the PV basement locker just in case I regret harvesting this one. Ill see how it goes. Really rough start, isn't it? Particularly in the AC region 😬 Hope you can stumble across some goodies. Are you going to try for the crampons etc? Tricky in the early stages, mind ... and freezing up there as you said. Good luck though 👍👊

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

😂 It was doing my head in seeing it on him. It's the first time he's taken it off for 3 years. Surprised it didn't peel his face off with it.

Ah, sorry. Never thought. Could have utilised my crow-mail delivery system 😫 I do have a spare actually in the PV basement locker just in case I regret harvesting this one. Ill see how it goes. Really rough start, isn't it? Particularly in the AC region 😬 Hope you can stumble across some goodies. Are you going to try for the crampons etc? Tricky in the early stages, mind ... and freezing up there as you said. Good luck though 👍👊

Eew.... Gross! 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Eew.... Gross! 😁

😜😄

On a sidenote, sorry to hijack your thread, but just got a birch sapling, 4 frozen fish, 2 cloth, painkillers and a crude hatchet from beachcombing. Also fell in 4 times and barely avoided hypothermia each time 😬 Still, more arrows 💪 Really pleased 👍

4 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

😜😄

On a sidenote, sorry to hijack your thread, but just got a birch sapling, 4 frozen fish, 2 cloth, painkillers and a crude hatchet from beachcombing. Also fell in 4 times and barely avoided hypothermia each time 😬 Still, more arrows 💪 Really pleased 👍

That's great!  🙂Not the falling in bit though!  How does a hatchet float ? Or a prybar  for that matter?  You should boil up a few gallons of water for a hot bath to warm up!  And don't forget to wash behind your ears!😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

That's great!  🙂Not the falling in bit though!  How does a hatchet float ? Or a prybar  for that matter?  You should boil up a few gallons of water for a hot bath to warm up!  And don't forget to wash behind your ears!😁

Haha! Cheers. He's got his rubber duck ready as well 💪😄 Yeah you have to wonder about floating hatchets etc, vomited by whales? 🤔 Anyway, I'm not arguing, not a bad haul.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Haha! Cheers. He's got his rubber duck ready as well 💪😄 Yeah you have to wonder about floating hatchets etc, vomited by whales? 🤔 Anyway, I'm not arguing, not a bad haul.

I'd love to see whales swimming past in this game. Listening to them sing  while you're standing on the beach during the aurora.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Lol 😁 just had an image of Will skipping  through the woods. 

Big green  riding hood. Seriously those balaclava are stupid🤣

LOL! I always keep the Balaclava when I find it, but it scares my granddaughter when she sees the clothing screen! I'll have to tell her it's Green Riding Hood!

I am still doing the Archivist challenge, and I did a little test with the flares and wolves in the Crumbling Highway area. I had two coming at me, and lit a red flare ... one scrambled off to the side, but I kept advancing on the other, not throwing the flare. I got very close to him, and he did eventually attack me, even with the flare held. Fought him off with the hatchet, then the other one came at me from the side, but I managed to get the rifle up and shoot ... did not hit him, but he did run off.  Thankfully,  just a few minor injuries and some clothing hits.

I also definitely shot a deer and a bear in Coastal Highway later on the same afternoon, but had to go into a house to sleep and wait out a blizzard -- & I lost both of them. The deer registered as a kill, but I never found it (may have gone off the edge of the ice) -- the bear never showed up as a kill. Was kind of bummed, because my rifle rounds are very low and the stinking bear ate my best Canada Toque.

I did get another deer the next day, and I'm now regrouping in the Quonset Garage to head out to Pleasant Valley ... not loving the challenge, but I'll see what tomorrow brings ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twyn1 said:

LOL! I always keep the Balaclava when I find it, but it scares my granddaughter when she sees the clothing screen! I'll have to tell her it's Green Riding Hood!

I am still doing the Archivist challenge, and I did a little test with the flares and wolves in the Crumbling Highway area. I had two coming at me, and lit a red flare ... one scrambled off to the side, but I kept advancing on the other, not throwing the flare. I got very close to him, and he did eventually attack me, even with the flare held. Fought him off with the hatchet, then the other one came at me from the side, but I managed to get the rifle up and shoot ... did not hit him, but he did run off.  Thankfully,  just a few minor injuries and some clothing hits.

I also definitely shot a deer and a bear in Coastal Highway later on the same afternoon, but had to go into a house to sleep and wait out a blizzard -- & I lost both of them. The deer registered as a kill, but I never found it (may have gone off the edge of the ice) -- the bear never showed up as a kill. Was kind of bummed, because my rifle rounds are very low and the stinking bear ate my best Canada Toque.

I did get another deer the next day, and I'm now regrouping in the Quonset Garage to head out to Pleasant Valley ... not loving the challenge, but I'll see what tomorrow brings ...

Sounds like you've been very busy!    Not sure what the difficulty is on Archivist  but definitely not as easy as pilgrim. 

Those deer always run off and die somewhere we can't go!  Bit annoying really so I don't usually bother with them . The bear can take a while to die especially if you sleep after shooting it. It's a bit of an odd mechanic that one.  

And that garage is a good place in many ways but it's also a death trap! I hope you have better luck in PV!  

Didn't really have much luck with the wolves in forlorn  this morning. There was one case where one was chasing a deer that ran about 10 metres away . The wolf was chasing it then suddenly turned stopped and started growling at me instead! Not sure why though!  Either way ,I'm afraid I threw a torch at it and it ran away. Not what I planned to do but it was purely instincts.  

Unfortunately the weather was not the best, nearly constant fog and a few blizzards made me decide to pack up and head to Broken Railroad. 

At least I found a hammer , actually I found 2 and another 2 hacksaws as well. I left  the spares I wouldn't need  and now I'm tucked up at the maintenance shed . Emptying my overloaded pack and enjoying the aurora. Good chance to get some buffer memories! 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Didn't really have much luck with the wolves in forlorn  this morning. There was one case where one was chasing a deer that ran about 10 metres away . The wolf was chasing it then suddenly turned stopped and started growling at me instead! Not sure why though!  Either way ,I'm afraid I threw a torch at it and it ran away. Not what I planned to do but it was purely instincts.  

Unfortunately the weather was not the best, nearly constant fog and a few blizzards made me decide to pack up and head to Broken Railroad. 

At least I found a hammer , actually I found 2 and another 2 hacksaws as well. I left  the spares I wouldn't need  and now I'm tucked up at the maintenance shed . Emptying my overloaded pack and enjoying the aurora. Good chance to get some buffer memories! 

Good instincts 👍 That'll teach that pesky wolf to mess with you 😄

You see, your hoarding is getting better if you're able to leave equipment behind. Good news on the hammers, can be tricky to find sometimes. I forgot to repair one recently and had to pretty much walk the island to find where I'd left the other 🙄

How many days in are you now? Sounds like you're enjoying the adventure.

• Upvote 1

Nearly 45 I think!  I only left them all because I couldn't move!😁 And I'll probably find at least another 3 hacksaws anyway. I have one in desolation, coastal and 2 in TWM already!  Maybe 1 in PV too!

I should be letting the wolf attack me but I'll try and curb my instincts  later on! Hopefully!🙂

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Nearly 45 I think!  I only left them all because I couldn't move!😁 And I'll probably find at least another 3 hacksaws anyway. I have one in desolation, coastal and 2 in TWM already!  Maybe 1 in PV too!

I should be letting the wolf attack me but I'll try and curb my instincts  later on! Hopefully!🙂

There's no shortage of most items, to be fair. Hacksaws are pretty commonplace in my game. I must have a dozen in storage. Nice that they can easily be repaired too. I'd be lost without it.

Yes, forgot about that ... The whole purpose is getting mauled. Difficult when it goes against your better instincts. Hope I'm not taking liberties when I wish you many happy lacerations 🎉😄

• Upvote 1

Thanks! I'm looking forward to many more maulings! 😁 

Hoping to squeeze a few in between forging and ransacking the place. 

Hoping there's more than the one wolf I've seen so far! Maybe up at the cabin ,if the moose doesn't show up and scare them off! 

• Upvote 1