I finally got mauled !

Leeanda

After nearly 3 years of playing custom and pilgrim I finally had my first wolf mauling!  ! 🙂 

My problem is I'm not sure if it was a bug as it seemed kind of glitchy. 

This run is a custom pilgrim with Max wolves ,close detection range, and even though it shouldn't make a difference on passive I took the fear off just to see if it does indeed make some differences.  I also don't have any crafted clothes on and no bear roll and as yet no moose satchel either. The only things I intend to wear are the bunny hat and gloves . But I can't see them making a difference to this little experiment.

I'm only a few weeks into the run and I started it solely for the purpose of getting mauled !🙂 Yes I am mad, but I might finally have a use for all that unused medicine .  Which ironically I didn't need on the mauling I had this morning! 

I will keep you up to date if or when it happens again but considering how long I had to wait for this one, it might be quite a while before I can write again! 🙂

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Congratulations on your first mauling 🎉🎈 I think we should have a cave party to celebrate, I'll bring the pinnacle peach punch 😎

It's an interesting experiment actually, good to know those little tweaks make a difference too. Intrigued to see if it happens again. I also had a glitchy experience with a moose, it hovered towards me as if wearing skis before it stomped my ribs to pieces.  Freaked me out. I'll look forward to your future encounters, perhaps some lacerations next time to get the antiseptic used 👍😄

Edited by Matt Lomax
Noticed a typo 😫
  • Upvote 1

Thank you! 😁 Can't beat a good mauling!  I haven't seen an ice skating moose for a while.. sorry you got stomped on!

I've yet to see a moose but I forgot to put them on medium to high. And despite the wolves being on max I've not noticed any difference except in ash canyon,where there were only two more than usual. Still only makes three altogether though so it's still going to be tricky if everywhere else is short of them . I've only been to ash, desolation and briefly through PV. I'm now at TWM summit as yet again there's a lack of food I'm willing to eat at level 2 !

On a side note, there has been a severe lack of corpses so far ,and carcasses except in desolation . There were no live deer there at all! Very odd!  Wishing I hadn't taken the bears off  altogether! It's going to make it harder to survive in some areas. 

• Like 1

Haha! 😂 No worries with the moose, think he forgot to enable his animations 🙄 Unless he was actually on skis 🤔

I'd have expected a bigger difference in wolf numbers, especially in PV. My game is swarming with them, can't recall what settings I originally put them on but they're everywhere. I think I've only ever seen 3 wolves in AC myself, thankfully. Be interesting to see the numbers in other areas.

I honestly haven't seen an animal carcass for maybe two in-game years, other than the ones I create of course. How are deer numbers and resources? Could be tricky if they're low overall 😬

• Upvote 1

Dancing on Ice ... Contestant no. 1 ... Moose😁 

Have only gone from Ch mine entrance to TWM in PV  so not surprised I saw none on the way. ,so I'm heading to the PV farm from the summit to see how the situation is there! 

No deer in DP, none passing through Ch, none  through PV not even at the bottom of the Ch mine trail! 2 in ash and so far in TWM  2 on the lake.  It doesn't help that to do this experiment I can't really kill wolves  for food ,and I'm limited to killing deer and rabbits too. I have to leave something for the wolves to protect. I'm hoping a moose or two will spawn soon both for food and the cooking skills! 

• Like 1

😂 You wouldn't want him standing on your feet, the clumsy oaf 😬

There's often one around CH mine path trail and a second lurking in the woods nearby. Wonder if they'll spawn in later to surprise you. I've noticed they often change locations, tends to keep you on your toes.

A real scarcity of deer too, not unsurprising really. I sometimes have to walk forever to find them. Good luck with the moose, I sometimes see one around the birch wood area near the Lonely Cabins. Love that region, so gorgeous 😻 If you see him, watch your ribs ... And your toes 🙊

Edited by Matt Lomax
  • Upvote 1

Lol 🙂

My last 4 runs I've had the birch moose, so once I've unloaded everything at the farm I'll be going straight there. If not the fishing hut area is pretty good . I like the birch tree area too and it's handy for the barn to cook him up!.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

The birch moose 😄 Tickled me for some reason 👍😂 Hope you can take him down okay, can be awkward blighters at the best of times. Good idea with the barn, now I feel stupid for always lugging it back to the farmhouse 🤦 My brain 😫 Yeah, some lovely locations. Birch wood under gentle snowfall, gathering bark. Bliss ☺

• Upvote 1

I always name them things like that. Birch bear and moose. River bear, climb bear etc for the diary so I know when and where and which will be due to respawn at which times. Doesn't always work with the moose though, too unreliable!  But I will kill the stupid thing! I have all the weapons already but I'll use the rifle for him! 😁

That's a long trek to haul that much meat. There's also the cave near there too on the river which I leave a few pieces of meat  occasionally. 

Some of my favourite views are in PV.  Like the radio tower, especially during aurora's.  

Also I'd like to say thanks for the interest and encouragement I had to write this in the first place. Especially Piddy. Much appreciated!

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

It's a good way of remembering, cool little markers like that. They are unreliable, never agree to meet a moose for dinner ... I learned that the hard way 🙄 I wish you luck in your hunt, from what I can gather you're pretty lethal with a rifle 😬😄

Yeah I like to over-complicate everything to be honest. I did build a fire nearby in the end that is well sheltered. Still get caught in blizzards though 🤦😄

Yeah it's a beautiful place, I find it difficult to break away from. The many different facets of the weather and the beautiful colours it produces is so alluring ☺

I know how difficult it is to find the confidence to put stuff out there, believe me. I lurked about on these forums for two years before I dared find a voice and a slither of self-belief. It's a welcoming, inclusive and homely community though and you're an integral part of that 👍

Anyway, enough cheese from me, more crackers 😜 I'm off to shave some crows 💪

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

Where did you get that shaver???😁  Astrid needs to shave her armpits! Looks like a jungle in there. 

And thanks. Nothing wrong with a bit of cheese either!😁

🤣🤣🤣 Honestly nearly spat my drink out! Must be like a tangled up spaghetti junction in those poor unkempt pits 👍😄 as for the shaver, I found it in William von Wolfenfeatures's penthouse cave for well-groomed man-wolves 😬

👍☺ Very true 👊

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I found the moose! Great news on the food and satchel side of things! 

Didn't realize that turning fear off applied to everything though!!!😁  He charged me both times. Thank the heavens for the fishing but! 😃 

Yikes! Is there a moose near Pensive Pond? Never seen one there before, and I've spent dozens of hours fishing there. Intriguing 🤔

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Yikes! Is there a moose near Pensive Pond? Never seen one there before, and I've spent dozens of hours fishing there. Intriguing 🤔

There can be but I usually get the birch one.  But the hut is a good sniper spot. I'm just glad a bug didn't kick in or I would've been a pizza!😃

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

There can be but I usually get the birch one.  But the hut is a good sniper spot. I'm just glad a bug didn't kick in or I would've been a pizza!😃

🤣 Dancing on Ice moose floating towards you meaning business 😂 Honestly, never seen one there and I pretty much live in PV. How weird. Glad you got him though, now you can get warm at least and have plenty of guts going spare.

Here's a question, and sorry to be a nuisance and off-topic, but do buildings change on different play-throughs? I swear there are buildings that are in ruins on my main.

You're not being a nuisance. That's what the forums are for. (So someone pointed out to me not so long ago)😁 

Yes they do, it's completely random  though and obviously not the places like PV farm .  Many variations keep you on your toes! Especially with the bear and moose. Spawn sites.

And that moose wasn't skating , he was too angry! Good job he didn't glitch into the hut! 😃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

You're not being a nuisance. That's what the forums are for. (So someone pointed out to me not so long ago)😁 

Yes they do, it's completely random  though and obviously not the places like PV farm .  Many variations keep you on your toes! Especially with the bear and moose. Spawn sites.

And that moose wasn't skating , he was too angry! Good job he didn't glitch into the hut! 😃

Very true, just overly self-aware 👍😄

That's really cool, this game just continues to surprise.  How about the Spencer house on the Muskeg? Is that ever intact? Always makes me feel sad when I visit, especially with the body nearby.

Haha! Once they get in a mood, ain't no stopping them. You did well. I tend to steer well clear 😄

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Not at forlorn no. That's always like that sadly. What body? I've never seen one near there.

I kill them all !  My son likes them and wants me to get trampled so it's a kind of revenge killing!😁

Aww, shame 😭 There's a corpse behind the barn where the forge is, at least on my main save. That's where I shave most of my feathered friends 😜

Haha! 🤣 That's awesome 😂 You gotta be cruel to be kind, after all 👍😄

• Upvote 1

Forgive the picture quality, I quickly took a snap of the TV screen. There's the dead douche just behind the barn. Sidney Spencer, 36. Couldn't grow a proper beard, died with regret 😫

Why's it upside down? 😭🤣

20220212_182422_HDR.jpg

Edited by Matt Lomax
Forgot pic 🤦
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Forgive the picture quality, I quickly took a snap of the TV screen. There's the dead douche just behind the barn. Sidney Spencer, 36. Couldn't grow a proper beard, died with regret 😫

Why's it upside down? 😭🤣

20220212_182422_HDR.jpg

🤣🤣🤣🤣 

Thanks for the err ... Unusual picture.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

LOL!!! This thread is great!! Congratulations on your Mauling, Leeanda!!

I had the Ice Skating Moose by the Wing wreckage in TWM. He glided over and stomped me, something good!, but I got him afterwards!

And I too, absolutely LOVE the PV Birch Woods, with those stunningly beautiful lighting effects! Kudos to whoever was responsible for that (really, for all of the lighting in the game). I have found myself just letting Astrid stand there and look about as the light changes.

I noticed a decided lack of deer on a quick trip over to Blackrock yesterday. None along the road to the Power Sub-Station, the Farm, Jailer's House/Garage, Foreman's Clearcut Trailer or Bricklayer's Retreat/Pond & none on the trek from there to the rope climb at Fool's Corner (?).

I did finally track down a deer in the woods beyond the Farm area, past where the 2 trucks are parked. There was a moose on the frozen lake below the prison, I left him be ... was actually getting a bit low on food & had to eat a questionable can of sardines, but got lucky there! Also, no human corpses or pre-set deer carcasses anywhere. (Did not go all the way into the prison to the Ballistic Vest area, so not sure if that guy was there or not)

Back in my cozy hut in TWM again, settling in with my mountains of gear and food -- will probably save and retire this version of Astrid soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1