Lost arrows question.

Leeanda

I was practicing my bow skills  on a moose when an aurora turned up and the moose despawned  with three arrows in him. Will he respawn and will he still have the arrows in him. I've never been in this situation so I'm just wondering if any one has an answer to this?  Any help would be appreciated.

45 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I was practicing my bow skills  on a moose when an aurora turned up and the moose despawned  with three arrows in him. Will he respawn and will he still have the arrows in him. I've never been in this situation so I'm just wondering if any one has an answer to this?  Any help would be appreciated.

Likely not.  This is similar to what I call the "reset bug;" where the player going through a loading screen causes an animal who is bleeding out to reappear/respawn at full health. 

A good way to practice/level up bow skills is by shooting rabbits from varying distances.  They always die on the spot if hit and you shouldn't lose any arrows.  It does use up the condition of the arrow, so you'll eventually still need more shafts and feathers anyways.  If staying in a single region, the shafts are in limited supply (unless you can beachcomb for more after depleting the saplings in that area)... and as mentioned on the other thread, the feathers can be in really short supply after the various corpses have despawned in the region and you're down to just getting them only around your own kills (if the corpses lay around long enough for the crows to congregate over them).

Edited by UpUpAway95

3 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Likely not.  This is similar to what I call the "reset bug;" where going through a loading screen causes an animal who is bleeding out to reappear/respawn at full health. 

A good way to practice/level up bow skills is by shooting rabbits from varying distances.  They always die on the spot if hit and you shouldn't lose any arrows.  It does use up the condition of the arrow, so you'll eventually still need more shafts and feathers anyways.  If staying in a single region, the shafts are in limited supply (unless you can beachcomb for more after depleting the saplings in that area)... and as mentioned on the other thread, the feathers can be in really short supply after the various corpses have despawned in the region and you're down to just getting them only around your own kills (if the corpses lay around long enough for the crows to congregate over them).

I didn't know that they do despawn  during aurora's til now.  Seems very unfair that this should be possible in the first place.  I definitely didn't go through a loading screen scenario though. There's only the mountaineer's hut and I didn't even go in there. 

I am level 4,just, but most of that was from books . I have killed a few bunnies and wolves  to get it to this level but I wanted to try my luck with the moose  instead. Archery is not my best skill by a long shot (sorry bad pun)  and I've already lost about 15 arrows . Didn't want to lose any more but if he's gone then Im going to have to go back to the forge. 

I believe those arrows are lost along with the despawned Moose. 

On my way to Archery 5 I shot at rabbits and made arrows as a way to boost that skill.  That said, if you are going to play at any level other than Pilgrim, nothing beats just honing your skills than taking shots at deer and wolves.  Even on Pilgrim you can practice on wolves by reaching Archery 5, crouching and luring wolves closer with stones.

12 hours ago, Blizzard Walker said:

I believe those arrows are lost along with the despawned Moose. 

On my way to Archery 5 I shot at rabbits and made arrows as a way to boost that skill.  That said, if you are going to play at any level other than Pilgrim, nothing beats just honing your skills than taking shots at deer and wolves.  Even on Pilgrim you can practice on wolves by reaching Archery 5, crouching and luring wolves closer with stones.

I have encountered unbroken arrows suspended in midair, presumably because the animal they were sticking out of despawned.  I don't know what set of circumstances leads to this rather than the arrows disappearing as well.

38 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I have encountered unbroken arrows suspended in midair, presumably because the animal they were sticking out of despawned.  I don't know what set of circumstances leads to this rather than the arrows disappearing as well.

I've seen arrows suspended in midair with the corpse of the animal lying in the snow underneath it.  I don't think it's related to the problem of wounded animals suddenly despawning.

27 minutes ago, mfuegemann said:

Maybe the decay-despawn works different or the vanished moose was only moved to another location, taking the arrows with it.

No way to know for sure though since the player would have to get to whatever the next active moose spawn location is and witness a moose walking around with those arrows in him... don't think anyone has seen that yet.  I do remember that a lot of players recovered a lot of lost arrows when Pleasant Valley was changed and the red tool boxes were created to prevent players from losing items they had left lying around in the snow on on the floors of the building.  I don't think their (i.e. the arrows) presence is necessarily fully deleted from the save file, but it's more likely that they'll just reappear some day lying in the snow where the moose first despawned.

Edited by UpUpAway95

I lost an arrow in TWM a few days ago in a wolf that I definitely hit, but it disappeared -- the kill count went up for wolves, but I never found the body -- knowing the spawn areas and where I encountered the wolf, I searched pretty much everywhere it could have gone to die, but finally I had to sleep in the Forest Cave because I was at exhaustion level. There was a lot of other activity during this time, including downing a moose (got trampled a bit), collecting several rabbits and getting a 2nd wolf. Don't think there was an Aurora event overnight.

Tried to find him the next day, again lots of other things happening, ferrying meat and hides, stockpiling some wood, another deer, a 3rd wolf, but still lots of searching.

Today, I walked past a little area to the north of Crystal Lake ... and Lo & Behold -- there was the lost arrow just laying there in the snow. I know I searched this area at least twice, and there's no way I would have missed a dead wolf. I just counted it as Providence from Above ☺️

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, twyn1 said:

I lost an arrow in TWM a few days ago in a wolf that I definitely hit, but it disappeared -- the kill count went up for wolves, but I never found the body -- knowing the spawn areas and where I encountered the wolf, I searched pretty much everywhere it could have gone to die, but finally I had to sleep in the Forest Cave because I was at exhaustion level. There was a lot of other activity during this time, including downing a moose (got trampled a bit), collecting several rabbits and getting a 2nd wolf. Don't think there was an Aurora event overnight.

Tried to find him the next day, again lots of other things happening, ferrying meat and hides, stockpiling some wood, another deer, a 3rd wolf, but still lots of searching.

Today, I walked past a little area to the north of Crystal Lake ... and Lo & Behold -- there was the lost arrow just laying there in the snow. I know I searched this area at least twice, and there's no way I would have missed a dead wolf. I just counted it as Providence from Above ☺️

Yesterday, I had a wolf that sunk so deeply into the snow that it was only by accidentally scrolling over the label did I realize he was there.  If your wolf sunk into the snow like that, it's quite possible you did miss him and the arrow only surfaced after the carcass despawned.  Recently, people are reporting things sinking into the ground all over the place.

Edited by UpUpAway95

24 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

If your primary goal was to get Archery up, and you're playing Pilgrim, I would focus on making arrows.  IME, I can get a LOT of points simply by doing that.  Plus, there is no wear-and-tear/breaking of those precious arrows.

Ive made loads already and lost quite a few too 🙂 currently at forlorn making more arrowheads!  And I'm on my third bow as well!

In preparation of my MaxSkills/Cartographer run, I made a total of 65 arrowheads. I still have some left in CH after reaching archery level 5.
To level up quite fast, I do the following beside reading every archery book availiable:

1. craft arrows
2. while rested, hunt wolfes as they charge You. You either have an instant kill or can fend off the wolf with a knife/hatched easily. They will not run far anyway. This is the most satisfying way. Make sure to stand on even ground, so the wolf has not to change direction because of a slope. As You almost always can outpace a wolf, You can lure them to a convenient harvesting place.
3. if exhausted or unsure, hunt deer. Try to align in front of the deer, crouching, as it walks towards You. As soon as the deer starts grazing, center Your view, stand up and fire in a fluid motion. This way the deer will not have time to run away and You have a good chance of a critical hit. You either get an instant kill or have to follow it. Crows also help You finding Your arrow. This works quite well in The Ravine, just mind the blizzards.
4. If desperate or in excess of crafted arrows, You can hunt rabbits too. I am not using this, as the wear on arrows is too heavy in my opinion.

Keep in mind, that You can let the harvested meat laying around for later use, once You have reached cooking level 5. Just make some notes to know, where Your caches are. The harvested meat will not disappear with the carcasses.

Edited by mfuegemann
  • Upvote 1