Are you in favor of even more randomness in the game?

PiterZ

I am glad that TLD surprises its veterans more and more.
I would like as little CONSTANS mechanics as possible. In my opinion, the more randomness in the game, the better. If we manage to discover something and describe it with a formula, we spoil the rest of the game ourselves.
- Zero guaranteed spawns.
- Opting out of the implemented loot table schema (Interloper level).
- No guarantee of finding deer carcasses in places where they have always been.
That's it for the beginning :)
If you have other suggestions for even greater randomness - feel free to write :)
If you have a different opinion, also feel free to write :)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I have to say that with all the  bugs going on at the moment it makes the game more fun and challenging. 

If your suggestions could be put into the options menu for custom mode I'd certainly make use of them.  Playing for so long on one run tends to get a little boring (sorry HTL,) when you can find everything almost straight away.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply @Leeanda💓
In fact, I was inspired to write this by your thread: "Food poisoning risk at what%?".
I think that food poisoning should also occur completely accidentally and unpredictably (also after consuming drinks). Just like it happened in your case (forgive me for saying that - because I respect you very much and I wish you the best).

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PiterZ said:

If you have other suggestions for even greater randomness - feel free to write :)

I like the idea of random placement of caves.  Many more caves could be prepared but only a selection of them randomly activated.  (Although it is a bit late in the game development for such a change.)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PiterZ said:

Thanks for your reply @Leeanda💓
In fact, I was inspired to write this by your thread: "Food poisoning risk at what%?".
I think that food poisoning should also occur completely accidentally and unpredictably (also after consuming drinks). Just like it happened in your case (forgive me for saying that - because I respect you very much and I wish you the best).

Nothing to forgive! It's all part of the fun of the game. Food poisoning actual gives me a reason to use the medicine that otherwise doesn't come out of the cupboard!  Lol🙂  maybe pilgrim needs a few tweaks here and there? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, peteloud said:

I like the idea of random placement of caves.  Many more caves could be prepared but only a selection of them randomly activated.  (Although it is a bit late in the game development for such a change.)

A very interesting idea - thank you very much for sharing it  @peteloud👍

7 hours ago, PiterZ said:

I am glad that TLD surprises its veterans more and more.
I would like as little CONSTANS mechanics as possible. In my opinion, the more randomness in the game, the better. If we manage to discover something and describe it with a formula, we spoil the rest of the game ourselves.
- Zero guaranteed spawns.
- Opting out of the implemented loot table schema (Interloper level).
- No guarantee of finding deer carcasses in places where they have always been.
That's it for the beginning :)

I'd be down for everything being randomly spawned as long as the loot table stayed the same for each map.  Never to find the same item in the same spot!  same goes for the buildings.  It would be a completely different game each time.  I'd like to see some of the always burned down buildings intact for a change and some of the always intact buildings burned down!    Carcasses,  rose hibs and mushrooms not to mention maple and birch saplings all completely scattered about never in the same place twice!  

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

I would like more spawn locations for things which equates to more randomness. After playing thousands of hours and many different runs i know where every carcass spawns, every potential sapling, every ax, crowbar, etc. 

In ML for example, i have no reason at all to walk the ridges that surround Trappers cabin because I know that there is nothing up there to find other than sticks. I will never find a sapling or anything else.

When I spawn in CH I know exactly where all the bodies are to check, where the carcasses are for harvesting hides and guts to cure, where to search for the crowbar and ax, so after a few days I am pretty much set.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

. . .  and some of the always intact buildings burned down! 

I hadn't thought of that.  Imagine the game with ML Office, PV Farmhouse and the Mountaineers' hut in TWM burnt down.

That started me thinking how HTL could bring out a sequel with the same terrain for Great Bear Island but a completely different set of buildings & caves and a few new resources & abilities.

It would be a very inexpensive way of developing a new product.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I'd like to see some of the always burned down buildings intact for a change and some of the always intact buildings burned down!    Carcasses,  rose hibs and mushrooms not to mention maple and birch saplings all completely scattered about never in the same place twice!  

I was thinking about it too. It would be a big surprise for regular players :)
Thank you very much for this comment  @piddy3825

10 hours ago, Sito said:

I would like more spawn locations for things which equates to more randomness. After playing thousands of hours and many different runs i know where every carcass spawns, every potential sapling, every ax, crowbar, etc. 

I fully agree with you and thank you for your comment @Sito👍

9 hours ago, peteloud said:

I hadn't thought of that.  Imagine the game with ML Office, PV Farmhouse and the Mountaineers' hut in TWM burnt down.

That started me thinking how HTL could bring out a sequel with the same terrain for Great Bear Island but a completely different set of buildings & caves and a few new resources & abilities.

It would be a very inexpensive way of developing a new product.

Indeed, that would certainly make for a different experience.  I think it should be fairly easy to plop in a random cave here and there, considering the insides look almost identical in each cave I go in.  I never really noticed the similarity until I entered every cave on the new BlackRock map and saw that each cave mouth looked exactly the same every time I was facing the mouth from the rear of the cave.  oh, I would however really lament losing the Mountaineer's Hut on TWM since it is the only structure on the map, but maybe in that case they could just drop a new one somewhere else!    

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Indeed, that would certainly make for a different experience.  I think it should be fairly easy to plop in a random cave here and there, considering the insides look almost identical in each cave I go in.  I never really noticed the similarity until I entered every cave on the new BlackRock map and saw that each cave mouth looked exactly the same every time I was facing the mouth from the rear of the cave.  oh, I would however really lament losing the Mountaineer's Hut on TWM since it is the only structure on the map, but maybe in that case they could just drop a new one somewhere else!    

I have to agree with you about  the mountaineers hut. It'd be a real shame to lose that.  And trappers too. 

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the wolf head shaped cave entrances! 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 6:25 PM, Leeanda said:

Nothing to forgive! It's all part of the fun of the game. Food poisoning actual gives me a reason to use the medicine that otherwise doesn't come out of the cupboard!  Lol🙂  maybe pilgrim needs a few tweaks here and there? 

Like with those dozens of antiseptics. Maybe we need just alot more wolfs. And not to mention those 400+ Lichen i still have. We need additional wolf for every tree there is. As for antibiotics, i was thinking of intentionally eating raw meat before those pills disappear, even though i could prevent that by not storing them. But i dont like X'd items. So i tend to play like they are unusable if they are at 0%.

3 hours ago, Strelok said:

Like with those dozens of antiseptics. Maybe we need just alot more wolfs. And not to mention those 400+ Lichen i still have. We need additional wolf for every tree there is. As for antibiotics, i was thinking of intentionally eating raw meat before those pills disappear, even though i could prevent that by not storing them. But i dont like X'd items. So i tend to play like they are unusable if they are at 0%.

I just dump the bottle of antiseptic on the floor as soon as I start a run and grab old man's beard , craft one and just carry it "just in case" ! In a 700+ day run it was still sitting there!  I never harvest mushrooms either! I do use birch bark but only as a different drink occasionally but not for recovery reasons.  I go through quite a few painkillers though! Lol!. Lots of sprains .. 

I would love more wolves on pilgrim ,sometimes I can see more bears on a map than wolves, perhaps the bears are eating them?🙂

19 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I just dump the bottle of antiseptic on the floor as soon as I start a run and grab old man's beard , craft one and just carry it "just in case" ! In a 700+ day run it was still sitting there!  I never harvest mushrooms either! I do use birch bark but only as a different drink occasionally but not for recovery reasons.  I go through quite a few painkillers though! Lol!. Lots of sprains .. 

I would love more wolves on pilgrim ,sometimes I can see more bears on a map than wolves, perhaps the bears are eating them?🙂

So you didnt try custom difficulty? And yes, i also need alot of painkillers because of sprains. But not harvesting mushrooms? Cmon, they are so good, because at lvl 5 cooking you wont need them for sickness and you can use it as better water in terms of weight. They even give you 125 kcal ontop then. Best water after birch teas. Only herbal tea would be better, but those are emergency hydration before sleep if i had a struggle or other misfortune.

I do it like this:

First i use all mushroom teas, because its just water with some kcal and half the weight for the same hydration at the point you got lvl 5 cooking.

Then if they are gone, which is quite a long time, i go for birch bark, which i have alot by the time my mushrooms are gone.

That all of course as expedition hydration. Meat and normal water i mostly only consume at home if i am stationary for a longer period.

2 hours ago, Strelok said:

So you didnt try custom difficulty? And yes, i also need alot of painkillers because of sprains. But not harvesting mushrooms? Cmon, they are so good, because at lvl 5 cooking you wont need them for sickness and you can use it as better water in terms of weight. They even give you 125 kcal ontop then. Best water after birch teas. Only herbal tea would be better, but those are emergency hydration before sleep if i had a struggle or other misfortune.

I do it like this:

First i use all mushroom teas, because its just water with some kcal and half the weight for the same hydration at the point you got lvl 5 cooking.

Then if they are gone, which is quite a long time, i go for birch bark, which i have alot by the time my mushrooms are gone.

That all of course as expedition hydration. Meat and normal water i mostly only consume at home if i am stationary for a longer period.

I have got a custom run but haven't played it for quite a while. I'm doing pilgrim to get the fire badge at the moment and it takes a long time! Its the only one I have left except darkwalker which I have no intention to do. 🙂 

On pilgrim there are so many herbal teas scattered around especially at TWM.  Mushrooms just don't seem worth the time. And the birch bark is plentiful at PV ,my home base. So I just pick it up there while I'm hunting the moose and bear.

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I have got a custom run but haven't played it for quite a while. I'm doing pilgrim to get the fire badge at the moment and it takes a long time! Its the only one I have left except darkwalker which I have no intention to do. 🙂 

On pilgrim there are so many herbal teas scattered around especially at TWM.  Mushrooms just don't seem worth the time. And the birch bark is plentiful at PV ,my home base. So I just pick it up there while I'm hunting the moose and bear.

I see. I needed 500 days on voyager to get all my desired badges. The worst and last one was blizzardwalker. At the end i was going outside if there was a blizzard lol and not staying inside as one normally would do. That gave me chills lol. But at the end, i found out that blizzards are not that much of a threat if you just go infront of the door covering outside of the shelter on that side which covered me from the wind. Good clothing and the stormlantern gave me the chance to stay long enough outdoor, even though i only found out later that there are shelters which also give you blizzardwalker advance even if you are just in it like a cave or open shelters. Which helped alot to get this badge going.

8 minutes ago, Strelok said:

I see. I needed 500 days on voyager to get all my desired badges. The worst and last one was blizzardwalker. At the end i was going outside if there was a blizzard lol and not staying inside as one normally would do. That gave me chills lol. But at the end, i found out that blizzards are not that much of a threat if you just go infront of the door covering outside of the shelter on that side which covered me from the wind. Good clothing and the stormlantern gave me the chance to stay long enough outdoor, even though i only found out later that there are shelters which also give you blizzardwalker advance even if you are just in it like a cave or open shelters. Which helped alot to get this badge going.

I know what you mean. Hunkering down in some random corner hoping the blizzard doesn't change direction or last 12 hours  while you're trying not to freeze or get so bored! Lol 

Edited by Leeanda

Thank you very much for all your comments, dear survivors.
Continuing the thread of randomness in the game, I was very surprised to find a bear coat in the AC region on Interloper level. I was convinced that it was not possible. This game is constantly surprising and that is why I love it so much.

49 minutes ago, PiterZ said:

Thank you very much for all your comments, dear survivors.
Continuing the thread of randomness in the game, I was very surprised to find a bear coat in the AC region on Interloper level. I was convinced that it was not possible. This game is constantly surprising and that is why I love it so much.

It is good when you find something hidden away somewhere isn't it.  Better than going somewhere specifically because you know that there's something there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

It is good when you find something hidden away somewhere isn't it.  Better than going somewhere specifically because you know that there's something there.

Exactly. Maybe it will turn out that at the Interloper level I will find an Expedition Parka or Climbing Socks somewhere :)

• Upvote 1

Honestly, the game world has gotten so large that the luxury items spawn so many times in so many different places that there is very little one lacks having for very long even at the highest difficulties.  There is a huge amount of randomness in spawns at the lower difficulties, but it's basically irrelevant because there is just so much stuff now.  Certainly, with the amount of stuff in the world in general, things like "guaranteed" spawns and loot tables can be done away with completely without making the game inordinately difficult.  I still don't think it will bring back those early feelings of living on the edge of starvation or fear of running out of matches and what not.  The only times I feel challenged by not having something or enough of something is when I restrict my play towards staying long-term in the zone in which I spawn... living without a knife or hatchet and not having any prospect for making one, etc.

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The only times I feel challenged by not having something or enough of something is when I restrict my play towards staying long-term in the zone in which I spawn... 

I agree!  some of my toughest games have been self imposed "challenges" and randomly spawning in a region and staying there for the duration of the run proved to be among the most difficult situations I've found playing the game, ever.
One of my most memorable runs was doing just that and I ended up spawning into Hushed River Valley.  Normally not an issue surviving there when I go into that region fully equipped, but otherwise long term survival took every bit of my game knowledge and cunning.  

• Upvote 2