New gear ideas?

A Lamp

In the dev diary Raphael said there will be a new gear item that wasn't in the ep 4, any ideas what could it be?

For some odd reasons i have this strong feeling a flashbang could be the gear, i mean after all in a max security prison there should be one i guess?

Ik that noisemaker is kinda the same thing, except it doesn't blind and it is considered an improvised grenade since it can injure or even kill wildlife. But NM won't scare away a charging bear, while the flashbang technically could (more it would deaf + blind it, giving you a chance to escape if you're defenseless).

Well unless NM can scare away a charging bear then, yeah.

Again, any ideas what the new gear item could be?

Probably nothing, but from 29/11 on twitter:

Raphael van Lierop (He/Him) Retweeted

Archaeo - Histories

@archeohistories

Thousands of years ago, Inuit and Yupik people of Alaska and northern Canada carved narrow slits into ivory, antler and wood to create snow goggles. This diminished exposure to direct and reflected ultraviolet rays thereby reducing eye strain and preventing snow blindness.

20 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Bear spear in survivor mode. Some modders already picked apart the game files and found that there are now crafting recipes for the spear, as well as recovering a cured maple sapling by breaking down a broken spear.

Interesting... I wonder if it will be available in 'Loper? and will it be able to be used on other wildlife? That'll show the bunnies who's boss...

A jury-rigged shielded hand lantern that can retain a charge from the aurora so one can have light for a limited amount of time after the aurora is over.  Found at Suzuki observatory. 

Its endurance in use might be up to one game hour (or two if it is equivalent to a full storm lantern), maybe dependent on the condition of the device (the lower the condition, the shorter the endurance time) and it might be able to store the charge for awhile, maybe for six to eight hours, before it dissipates (or is used up, whichever comes first) and has to be recharged.  It has no high-beam setting to fend off aurora wolves.  Due to the shielding it would be twice as heavy as a "normal" flashlight but would recharge whenever the main aurora effects occur. 

An aurora-powered fire starter using arcs to ignite the tinder basically equivalent in effectiveness to a fire striker.  The arcs can also serve as an effective means of fending off aurora wolves.    The fire starter remains functional only during the aurora.  As an option (by the devs), the device may take condition loss from use but can be repaired with scrap metal and a tool kit (get more use out of it). 

A sharp metal shiv like what Will used in episode 1 in lieu of a knife.  It can be crafted from one scrap metal at a work bench.  It cannot be sharpened or maintained.  It cannot be used in a wolf struggle (it is too small and clumsy).  It is otherwise equivalent to an improvised knife as far as durability (condition loss) and use is concerned.  Once ruined it can only be discarded there is nothing to salvage from it.  

Obviously none of these will happen.  :(

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

An aurora-powered fire starter using arcs to ignite the tinder basically equivalent in effectiveness to a fire striker.  The arcs can also serve as an effective means of fending off aurora wolves.    The fire starter remains functional only during the aurora.  As an option (by the devs), the device may take condition loss from use but can be repaired with scrap metal and a tool kit (get more use out of it). 

It would be simpler adding a lighter (zippo) which would require a ''repair'' consisting of tinder plug (for the string to light it up), flint (either whetstone or coal) and ofc fuel (lamp fuel or accelerant).

5 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Interesting... I wonder if it will be available in 'Loper? and will it be able to be used on other wildlife? That'll show the bunnies who's boss...

According to what I saw on Reddit it's like partially implemented. It doesn't actually work on bears or anything really, but it does scare wolves away if you set the spear when they attack. Who knows what the final version will look like.

I would think that whatever is going to be introduced will be more like the crampons.  It has its uses and its scope of usefulness  is limited.

I think I would prefer the shielded aurora-powered hand lantern, especially if it can retain a charge for some hours (ideally for an indefinite period  until used but that's asking a lot) after the aurora fades out.  Even if the charge would provide light for 15 to 30 game minutes, I would find that an acceptable amount of time if I didn't have to use my lantern for a quick look. 

I'd have no problem with a Zippo lighter. 

15 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Bear spear in survivor mode. Some modders already picked apart the game files and found that there are now crafting recipes for the spear, as well as recovering a cured maple sapling by breaking down a broken spear.

If that IS going to be the bear spear, I hope it would take 20-30 hours to make it with using the instruments as a requirement. Such a strong weapon has to take a lot of effort to make, otherwise it would be too OP.

I always found it weird how in Wintermute Will fixes the broken spear in LITERALLY no time.

Edited by Ghurcb

8 hours ago, Ghurcb said:

If that IS going to be the bear spear, I hope it would take 20-30 hours to make it with using the instruments as a requirement. Such a strong weapon has to take a lot of effort to make, otherwise it would be too OP.

I always found it weird how in Wintermute Will fixes the broken spear in LITERALLY no time.

Well I'd imagine it would require multiple steps. Like traveling to a forge to craft the spear tip, then a workbench to craft the actual spear. Forging a spear tip should be most of the effort I'd think. It would be comparatively easy to lash it to a shaft of wood. Like crafting a giant arrow, basically. And it would really only be effective against charging bears that you know are coming in advance. Doesn't seem too OP to me really, considering you and your clothes take damage during bear struggles, whereas hunting them normally is relatively safe. Especially if you've got a tree or something you can force them into a circle-strafe dance and keep plugging away.

• Upvote 1

Maybe the devs thought it would be just the thing for Armored Plus Class in Winter Brutality Great Bear Island 2021? 

The stage of "Moose Stomping Character" then the stage of "Bear Mauling Character" then the stage of "Wolf Attacking Character".  At least the stages do not require using the SMLE while standing in a ditch of freezing water and trying to score hits on the approaching animals.  😄

Guest jeffpeng

I'm actually very happy that they put things into the game that makes dealing with timberwolves easier. I still won't like those freezers, ever. But with the boombox noisemaker and hopefully this going to timberwolf infested regions in loper becomes at least somewhat feasible. I mean, you guys know I'm a sucker for a challenge. But having wolves matrix-dodge my arrows is just beyond not-fun.

6 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Timberwolf infested regions

I had an experience with a mod that allows you to choose where grey and timberwolfs can spawn.

All i can say is Coastal Highway with TW is a complete nightmare, especially with the very high setting for wolf spawn. If you end up in a bad spot, you can face up to 10 timberwolfs.

Guest jeffpeng
10 minutes ago, A Lamp said:

I had an experience with a mod that allows you to choose where grey and timberwolfs can spawn.

All i can say is Coastal Highway with TW is a complete nightmare, especially with the very high setting for wolf spawn. If you end up in a bad spot, you can face up to 10 timberwolfs.

Good thing I don't do mods ^^. But yeah, exchanging normal wolves for timberwolves out on the ice..... that's hell.